ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 Premier League thread

UEFA announces away goals will no longer be counted as tie breakers in their competitions beginning this season. Arsenal supporters need not be concerned.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Renato Sanches To Join Liverpool For €35M​

Matt Thielen 11 hrs ago

According to recent reports from a transfer insider, Renato Sanches is set to join Liverpool in a 35m transfer.
The UEFA EURO 2020 has provided plenty of entertainment so far.
From Group F's fireworks to the "it's coming home" brigade in England, the EUROs have provided some necessary relief from the world's problems.
a group of young men playing a game of football
© Provided by LFC Transfer Room on FanNation
Not only has the tournament provided entertainment, it has also allowed for some players to shine on the biggest stage in football.
One of those players is Portuguese midfielder Renato Sanches.
While Sanches has had a wild club career, his international career has always been successful.
Sanches became the youngest player to ever start for Portugal in a major tournement during the UEFA EURO 2016, passing Cristiano Ronaldo's record.
a man playing football on a field
In the same tournament he was named the Young Player of the Tournament.
In this year's UEFA EURO Renato once again shined and showed the world what he is made of.
He averaged one shot per game and an impressive 91.6% pass success rate.
Although he is just 23 years-old, Renato Sanches has played for four major clubs.
a man playing a game of football
He has played for Benfica, Bayern Munich, Swansea City and most recently Lille where he got his footing back.
He featured 29 times in Lille's Ligue 1 winning campaign where he scored once and assisted four times.
This impressive season has led to Liverpool reviving their interest in him.
Now, according to one transfer insider, Liverpool have nearly completed the signing of Renato Sanches from Lille.
Pedro Almeida who is a transfer insider took to Twitter to discuss Liverpool's rumoured deal.
He states that Renato Sanches will join Liverpool in a €35 million transfer and says it is almost done.
If this is true, look for major sources to pick up the story in the coming days.

LFC Transfer Room on FanNation

Liverpool Set To Offer £55million For Premier League Star​

Charlie Webb 32 mins ago

Since Gini Wijnaldum left Liverpool it seems like there is a never-ending supply of midfielders being linked with Liverpool, but one seems to be on the cusp of joining according to a Dutch site.
Liverpool's search for a midfielder continues after they have failed to replace the departing Gini Wijnaldum.
Florian Neuhaus and Saul Niguez have been heavily linked but as of yet, there is nothing 100% confirmed.
Youri Tielemans with a football ball on a field
A player that Liverpool fans will be very familiar with however, is Leicester City's star midfielder, Youri Tielemans.
The Belgian international has been a massive part of Leicester's midfield since joining from Monaco in 2019 for a reported fee of £40million.
Tielemans helped Leicester win their first piece of silverware since their unbelievable Premier League winning side.
The 24-year-old scored an absolute screamer against Chelsea in the FA Cup final to help Brendan Rodger's side win the trophy.
a crowd of people watching a football game
There is one thing that Tielemans has that a lot of the Anfield linked midfielders don't have, and that's Premier League experience.
He has played two full seasons at the top flight and has proven that he is more than capable of becoming one of the best in his position in the future.
Video player from: YouTube (Privacy Policy, Terms)
It now seems like Liverpool have taken notice of the 24-year-olds potential and are trying to sign him, that is according to Voetbal anyway.
They claim that Liverpool are prepared to offer Leicester £55million for the midfielder this summer.
The publication also says that Tielemans really wants to make the move happen and he has told all the parties that his wish is to join Liverpool this summer.
Youri Tielemans throwing a ball
£55million seems to be a reasonable price and they think that the transfer will be completed quickly.
A very bold claim to make in the midst of a lot of reported interest in other players from Liverpool, but if it was to happen, then it would be a great signing for The Reds.
Tielemans is Premier League proven, can play everywhere across midfield and he has room to improve under the guidance of Jurgen Klopp.

Last edited:
Reactions: rudedude
Schedule announced:

Premier League 2021-22 preview: Man City should repeat, but Chelsea and Man United lurking

Manchester City have won three of the last four Premier League titles and if they have both Jack Grealish and Harry Kane on board by the time the transfer window closes, it would take a brave gambler to bet against them being champions again. But is it really quite so clear-cut as many good judges appear to believe? Especially if City's focus switches to the elusive Champions League crown.
Behind Man City, the plot thickens and the chasers go into the new campaign with realistic ambitions to knock the champions off their perch.

ADVERTISEMENT
Chelsea beat Pep Guardiola's team in the Champions League final, and Thomas Tuchel is hopeful that Romelu Lukaku will arrive from Inter Milan to add undoubted goal power to an already gifted team. Manchester United, runners-up last season, will believe that Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane can help them win a first title since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013. Liverpool, with a packed Anfield again and Virgil Van Dijk back, will see no reason why they can't rediscover their champagne form of two seasons ago.
It all promises to make for a fascinating season, particularly with full stadiums and new VAR directives that'll mean an end to the hated "by a toenail" offside calls and fewer soft penalties. Last season's record 125 spot kicks was almost farcical as players tumbled to the turf, seemingly with every puff of wind.
Ahead of Friday's opening match, here are my club-by-club thoughts, though predictions at this stage must always be tempered by the fact that other major transfer developments are still very likely with the window closing at the end of August.
Pep Guardiola and Man City strolled to the title last season and have added Jack Grealish to the squad. Can anyone catch them? Michael Regan/Getty Images
i

ARSENAL
The £50m addition of Brighton and England defender Ben White is the sort of statement signing the Gunners needed, but much more is required after two consecutive eight-place finishes. Youngsters like Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith Rowe are only going to get better, though their success depends on Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang rediscovering his scoring form. The jury remains out on manager Mikel Arteta.

EDITOR'S PICKS

i

ASTON VILLA
How will they cope with the loss of their talisman, Grealish? That has to be the key question despite Dean Smith splashing out on Danny Ings, Leon Bailey and Emi Buendia to add to the attacking options and the return of Ashley Young to add some much-needed experience. Expect another mid-table finish as Villa consolidate their Premier League status.
i

BRENTFORD
The West London club, for so long a lower-league outfit, will be the 50th team to play in the Premier League and their Danish manager Thomas Frank has the squad believing that their enterprising approach can cause shocks. But they will need star striker Ivan Toney to bring his 33-goal form from last season into the top flight. The Bees certainly deserve their chance after some agonising near-misses in the promotion stakes.
i

BRIGHTON
Easy on the eye last season, but only managed to finish 16th with 41 points. They will feel the loss of Arsenal-bound White, but have enough defensive cover in Lewis Dunk, Adam Webster and Dan Burn and Yves Bissouma is one of the best midfield men in the league, attracting several admirers. It would help if they could get rampaging wing-back Tariq Lamptey fit.
i

BURNLEY
There's not been much significant transfer movement under the new owners ALK, but they are smart enough to know the value of keeping manager Sean Dyche sweet. The Clarets recovered from an awful start to finish 11 points clear of trouble last season, and they have enough nous and fight -- and very good pros led by Ben Mee, James Tarkowski, keeper Nick Pope and striker Chris Wood -- to stay above the water line again.
play
1:31

Leboeuf would be happy to see Lukaku back at Chelsea

Chelsea legend Frank Leboeuf is happy for Romelu Lukaku who is reportedly closing in on a return to Stamford Bridge.
i

CHELSEA
Perhaps the team most likely to threaten title winners Manchester City, whom they beat with a perfect tactical display in the Champions League final. This is a multi-talented squad, but they were only the eighth-highest scorers in last season's Premier League. At the time of writing, it looks as if Romelu Lukaku will arrive from Inter for around £98m to solve that problem. The Belgian is no longer the callow kid who failed to fire in his first spell at Stamford Bridge, though where that leaves last summer's big signing, Timo Werner, is another question.
i

CRYSTAL PALACE
It's been a summer of change at the Palace. Patrick Vieira takes over from Roy Hodgson as the club goes for something of a makeover. About a dozen players had come to the end of their contracts, but star man Wilfried Zaha and a reborn Christian Benteke stay, crucially, and Palace have added two good defenders in Joachim Andersen and Marc Guehi, as well as the promising teenage playmaker Michael Olise. Nevertheless, it's an acid test for Vieira.

Dan Thomas is joined by Craig Burley, Shaka Hislop and others to bring you the latest highlights and debate the biggest storylines. Stream on ESPN+ (U.S. only).
i

EVERTON
Carlo Ancelotti jumped ship for Real Madrid and in comes Rafa Benitez, who some Toffees fans will never forgive for calling them a "small club" when he was managing Liverpool over a decade ago. Can Rafa win over his critics, or will there be turmoil at Goodison Park for a team that rather faded into 10th place last season? Nothing that has happened yet in the transfer market makes you believe they can improve on that. New signing Demarai Gray still has to prove he can cut it as a top-flight regular, though winger Andros Townsend might get a new lease of life on Merseyside.
i

LEEDS UNITED
Crowned a superb return to the top flight with a ninth-place finish last season and with Elland Road turned up to full volume as fans return, Marcelo Bielsa's turbo-charged team might even threaten the top six unless they are hit by "second-season syndrome." The classy, articulate Patrick Bamford could force his way into the England reckoning, and Junior Firpo has arrived from Barca for £13m.
2:05

Laurens furious over 'unacceptable' Fofana tackle

Julien Laurens explains why he feels Villarreal's Fer Nino should not play football until Wesley Fofana's return from injury.
i

LEICESTER
A broken leg in preseason for the Foxes' outstanding young defender, Wesley Fofana, is a terrible blow, and it may leave them a little thin at the back. Despite missing out on the top four again, that first FA Cup win made it a triumphant season. Patson Daka, Boubakary Soumare and Ryan Bertrand are great additions to Brendan Rodgers' options and he still has all his big-hitters on board, with Harvey Barnes back from injury and James Justin progressing nicely.
Will fancy themselves for a long run in the Europa League, and why not?
i

LIVERPOOL
Intriguing to see if we see the "old Liverpool" that waltzed to the title two seasons ago. After a horrendous run in midseason after some big injuries, they did well to finish third in May. The return of Virgil Van Dijk and the £36m signing of Ibrahima Konate certainly give them a more solid look, but they need Curtis Jones to step into Gini Wijnaldum's boots after his departure to PSG. There's also the cloud of the contract dispute with captain Jordan Henderson hanging over the preseason.
play
1:28

Where will Grealish fit into Guardiola's plans at Man City?

Mark Ogden debates how Pep Guardiola will utilise Jack Grealish and wonders whether Man City even need him.
i

MANCHESTER CITY
An embarrassment of riches. How will Pep Guardiola fit Grealish in? The England man's ability to run with the ball, draw fouls and set up chances would enhance any team. He is a unique talent, and if Kane arrives as well, City's attack would take on a frightening look with the likes of Raheem Sterling, Phil Foden and Riyad Mahrez battling for the other places, and Bernardo Silva probably on his way out. Remember, too, that Kevin De Bruyne started only 23 Premier League games last season and should be back to his magnificent best this time. City were champions by 12 points last season, but this year will be tougher.
i

MANCHESTER UNITED
The club have issued a big vote of confidence in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to hand him an extended contract to 2024 and the funds for Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane. With Marcus Rashford out for two months with a shoulder problem to start the season, Sancho has the chance to show off his sensational talents while Varane and Harry Maguire looks a winning pairing at the back. If Bruno Fernandes bounces back from a poor Euros (he looked tired), United should be in the mix at the top of the table, though the usual uncertainty over Paul Pogba (his contract expires next June) hardly helps.
1:43

How will Raphaël Varane click with Man United's defense?

The ESPN FC crew look at all the factors that will affect how Raphaël Varane meshes with the Manchester United defense.
i

NEWCASTLE
A club in seemingly endless turmoil, they nevertheless recovered to finish 12th last season as Steve Bruce answered his many Toon critics. They need to keep Callum Wilson fit and seal the deal with Arsenal for Joe Willock, whose flurry of goals proved vital at the end of last season. They've been quiet in the transfer market ... so far.
i

NORWICH CITY
Bounced back into the top flight at the first time of asking, and as Championship winners, having kept faith with manager Daniel Farke. They've lost their main chance creator, Buendia, to Aston Villa, but have done very well to acquire Chelsea's excellent young midfield man Billy Gilmour on loan. The Canaries have been a little more ambitious in the transfer market than in their last trip to the Premier League, but it looks like a relegation fight for this yo-yo club.

i

SOUTHAMPTON
The sudden sale of striker Danny Ings to Aston Villa will have sent off alarm bells for Saints fans. Reliable left-back Ryan Bertrand (Leicester City) has gone too, and there will probably be bids for captain James Ward-Prowse. Unless they can beef up the squad between now and the end of August, the Saints are in danger of being surprise strugglers.
i

TOTTENHAM
These are difficult times in north London, with so much hinging on the outcome of the Kane saga. It's not been an easy start for new boss Nuno Espirito Santo, but at least Spurs have added Sevilla winger Bryan Gil and £47m defender Atalanta defender Cristian Romero is an expensive addition too as Toby Alderweireld leaves. The less-than-glamorous new Europa Conference League is the price they pay for only finishing seventh last season. How they go about replacing Kane (if he goes) will be crucial to their prospects, though Inter's Lautaro Martinez is being pursued.
play
1:31

Burley: Tottenham has to find a way to get rid of Harry Kane

Craig Burley says it is going to be difficult but Tottenham has to find a way to transfer Harry Kane to another club.

Premier

i
WATFORD
The precocious Club Brugge youngster Emmanuel Dennis could make some waves as the Hornets return to the top flight. Former England left-back Danny Rose and Middlesbrough striker Ashley Fletcher are among other new arrivals, while the dangerous winger Ismaila Sarr is still there, too. But it might be a long hard winter at Vicarage Road.
i
WEST HAM
How will they cope with the Thursday-Sunday routine of matches as they prepare for the Europa League? It was certainly a bold showing last season to finish sixth with a team led by England regular Declan Rice and with the likes of Tomas Soucek and Michail Antonio as real danger men. They would love to get Jesse Lingard back from Manchester United after a productive loan, and add a top defender like Kurt Zouma of Chelsea or Marseille's Duje Caleta-Car. Expect a busy late August from David Moyes.
i
WOLVES
Last season was a wake-up call as they slipped to 13th with only 45 points after two successive seventh-place finishes. The Nuno era is over -- he's rebuilding Tottenham now -- and Bruno Lage has come in. At least top striker Raul Jimenez is fit after suffering a horrific fractured skull last season. There have been a few low-key signings, but it might be a difficult year again unless the exciting young Pedro Neto and Adama Traore (if he stays) can form an effective supply line for Jimenez. Winger Francisco Trincao from Barca could excite the fans at Molineux.

TV schedule for this coming weekend:

Saturday (8/14)
7:30 am EDT -- Man U vs. Leeds United (NBCSN)
10:00 am EDT -- Burnley vs. Brighton & Hove Albion (Peacock)
10:00 am EDT -- Chelsea vs. Crystal Palace (Peacock)
10:00 am EDT -- Everton vs. Southampton (NBCSN)
10:00 am EDT -- Leicester City vs. Wolverhampton (USA Network)
10:00 am EDT -- Watford vs. Aston Villa (Peacock)
12:30 pm EDT -- Norwich City vs. Liverpool (NBC)

Sunday (8/15)
9:00 am EDT -- Newcastle United vs. West Ham (NBCSN)
11:30 am EDT -- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Man City (NBCSN)

Saturday (8/14)

Sunday (8/15)
Maybe after the half, Harry Kane comes out in a Man City jersey and plays for them?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Saturday (8/14)

Sunday (8/15)
Tom, Tom, Tom, how could you forget the Arsenal match at 3pm today? SMH.

I didn't forget it ... with only a few exceptions, I've always limited my TV schedule posts to weekend games.
Yeah, well, it’s just that missing Arsenal would be quite a letdown for the board. It’s the board I’m thinking about here, Tom. They need excitement, pizzazz. They deserve the opportunity to leap out of their chairs screaming in amazement and appreciation. I'm a Neshaminy grad, as you know, and so my every day is like this, but it does warm my heart when I see the little people have their moments, as well.

anchorman-jumping-celebration-gif.gif

Crap, just realized Arsenal are only about 2 hours away from no longer being undefeated this season 😢

COYG!!!

Yeah, well, it’s just that missing Arsenal would be quite a letdown for the board. It’s the board I’m thinking about here, Tom. They need excitement, pizzazz. They deserve the opportunity to leap out of their chairs screaming in amazement and appreciation. I'm a Neshaminy grad, as you know, and so my every day is like this, but it does warm my heart when I see the little people have their moments, as well.

Arsenal is doing about as well as Neshaminy typically does. They are now down 0-2 at the 74 min mark. smh

Watching with my usual USMNT spin, it was interesting seeing Balogun get the start for Arsenal...he’ll most likely end up representing England, but their depth chart is a lot more crowded at Striker than ours so there is still a chance (he’s trained with our youth squads as well).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT