ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 Premier League thread

And then Man City (Kevin de Bruyne) answers at the 80 minute mark, making it 2-2.

Looks like city are going to get the psu treatment from the referees this year. Cannot be a more clear yellow than milners tackle in the second half but the ref didn’t have the courage to make the call and send him off the pitch at anfield nota debateable call In the first game Tottenham we’re permitted to just blatantly foul city for much of the first half. No yellows given but ref did finally call the Spurs captain and tell them he was going to have to start giving yellows if it persisted.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGLOV
Suddenly, Newcastle United is seemingly the richest team in the world. But will it be soon enough to turn this season around?

10 times richer than Man $hitty. 17 times richer than Chelsea.

Here’s a computer prediction foe the final table.

These computer models are interesting to look at early in the season. Fivethirtyeight.com has Man City with a 50% chance to win the league, Liverpool 26%, Chelsea 18% and ManU 5%. Everyone else is less than 1%. Their algorithm has been pretty good over the past few years.

Reactions: LionJim
Qualifying window is over, so here's this weekend's slate:

Saturday

6:30 am EDT -- Watford vs. Liverpool (Peacock)
9:00 am EDT -- Aston Villa vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers (NBCSN)
9:00 am EDT -- Leicester City vs. Man U (USA Network)
9:00 am EDT -- Man City vs. Burnley (Peacock)
9:00 am EDT -- Norwich City vs. Brighton & Hove Albion (Peacock)
9:00 am EDT -- Southampton vs. Lees United (Peacock)
11:30 am EDT -- Brentford vs. Chelsea (NBC)

Sunday

8:00 am EDT -- Everton vs. West Ham (NBCSN)
10:30 am EDT -- Newcastle vs. Tottenham Hotspur (NBCSN)

Bite me.

Hoisted by my own petard, lol.
-oIeuUapgnDQbt0V3GVM8wNVKvh-vYVTNYPXI-qrJYQj9UYfAclFMYrnn8QNqTy_bwcNTEV9cBkcAWxMVFkVk2JJ3Q-6RMzh4nu0DlCQGpFcAiuOJqeRjinHT30hY9bwHH1kBstKKrHC70AxmxiL7wpy6RhRgx9wbg0

Sorry Jim; I'll stop now

Newcastle at 17 works for me. Just don’t get relegated and let the money flow. In a few years even Glov might join the bandwagon since Liverpool will soon be a hot mess like Tottenham and Arsenal.

• Haha
That last change of direction, freakin’ brilliant. That’s the thing about PL soccer, in every match you’ll see something sublime.
I’m doing some housework while watching Aston Villa-Wolverhampton. Right after I posted this, AV made a brilliant leading pass that gave them a clear shot on goal. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred the ball goes into the net; today the Wolves keeper makes the best save I’ve seen all year. Sublime. Still 0-0 at 38’.

LC - MU is 1-1 near the half, and featuring some great soccer. Greenwood with a terrific shot for a Man U goal at the 19 min mark, and Tielemans (LC) with just a perfect shot from just outside the box at the 31 min mark to even things up.

Reactions: A2Nit and LionJim

Salah scores stunner, Firmino hits treble in Liverpool rout​

ad04b2be3f692ca64850d383c8b2279c

Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah (AFP/Paul ELLIS)

Sat, October 16, 2021, 7:34 AM

Mohamed Salah scored another brilliant individual goal and Roberto Firmino hit a hat-trick as Liverpool ruined Claudio Ranieri's first match as Watford manager with a 5-0 victory on Saturday.
Salah underlined why Liverpool are so desperate to get the Egypt forward to sign a new contract with his audacious second-half strike at Vicarage Road.
Dancing through the Watford defence, Salah's magical moment topped even his eye-catching goal against Manchester City before the international break.

Liverpool's habit of avoiding big contracts for players over 30 has fuelled fears the 29-year-old will leave when his present deal expires in 2023.
But with 10 goals in 10 games this season, Salah has proved his huge value to Liverpool, who will surely bow to his wish to be paid alongside the Premier League's highest earners.
For the first time in his career, Salah has scored in eight successive top-flight matches.
Salah's breathtaking goal stole the spotlight on a day when Firmino claimed his first Liverpool treble since 2018 in his first start for five league games.
It was also a memorable afternoon for Senegal forward Sadio Mane, who became only the third African player after Salah and Didier Drogba to reach a century of Premier League goals, a milestone encompassing his time at Southampton.
The Reds are the first English top-flight side to score three or more goals in seven consecutive away games in all competitions.
Liverpool, unbeaten in eight league matches this season, moved above Chelsea to the top of the table, although the Blues can reclaim pole position if they beat Brentford later on Saturday.
Ranieri could not have asked for a tougher start to his reign after he replaced the sacked Xisco Munoz during the international break.
The Italian, back in the Premier League after his title-winning spell with Leicester and stints at Chelsea and Fulham, will hope this dismal display was not a sign of things to come.
- Glorious Salah -

ADVERTISEMENT