ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 Premier League thread

Tough opener gooners.
Fun match. The crowd was loving it. I'm strong, I'll survive.

200w.gif

Wow, a monster strike by Leeds to tie up MU at 50’. (I’m cleaning the house while watching the match, not that you needed to know this.)

And just like that, MU goes ahead at 52’. Great setup, long pass and speed kills.

Last edited:
Wow, a monster strike by Leeds to tie up MU at 50’. (I’m cleaning up the house while watching the match, not that you needed to know this.)

And just like that, MU goes ahead at 52’. Great setup, long pass and speed kills.
Three goals in four minutes, MU 3-1 Leeds. The fans are going nuts. This is so great to see.

STEVE DOUGLAS
Sat, August 14, 2021, 12:29 PM

Goal feast for fans as Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool win in EPL​

In this article:

The return of near-capacity crowds fueled a barrage of goals and a bunch of home wins on the first Saturday of the English Premier League season.
Fans at Old Trafford particularly enjoyed themselves.
More than 72,000 spectators — Britain’s biggest soccer crowd since the pandemic — saw Bruno Fernandes’ hat trick and Paul Pogba’s four assists sweep Manchester United to a 5-1 thrashing of fierce rival Leeds, a statement of intent from a team whose last of its record 20 top-flight titles came in 2013.

It was the highest-scoring encounter on a day featuring 25 goals across seven matches, at an average of 3.57 — much higher than a typical season’s average. The presence of fans may also have contributed to there being five home wins, an immediate swing from last season when there were more away wins (40% compared to 38% for home teams).
Chelsea, the European champion and a big title contender like United, flexed its early-season muscles by overwhelming Crystal Palace in a 3-0 win that could have been heavier in front of nearly 39,000 fans.
Liverpool was the other expected title challenger to begin its league campaign and Mohamed Salah set up two goals before scoring himself — the fifth straight season he has netted in the opening round — in a 3-0 win at promoted Norwich.
There were also wins for promoted team Watford and Everton, who beat Aston Villa 3-2 and Southampton 3-1 respectively, and Leicester, which defeated Wolverhampton 1-0 thanks to a goal by 34-year-old striker Jamie Vardy.
Aside from Liverpool, the only away winner was Brighton, which came from behind to beat Burnley 2-1 at Turf Moor.
The British government lifted social-distancing measures on July 19, paving the way for clubs to allow fans back in force after they were shut down for almost the entirety of last season and the end of the 2019-20 season. Capacities aren’t quite at their maximum, though, because certain areas of stadiums have limited access around players and officials.
Manchester City, the reigning champion, begins the defense of its title at Tottenham on Sunday.

- Van Dijk makes winning return -

Liverpool were also 3-0 winners away to promoted Norwich thanks to goals from Diogo Jota, Roberto Firmino and Mohamed Salah.

Virgil van Dijk was restored to the Reds defence for the first time since his cruciate knee ligament injury derailed Liverpool's title defence last October.

The Dutchman looked like his old self as he strolled through the 90 minutes and Jurgen Klopp's men needed just a few moments of attacking inspiration to see off the Canaries.

"It's amazing if I'm honest," said Van Dijk on his return. "I need games; the manager knows it, I know it, but it was a good start today and hopefully I'm ready for next week."

Jota pounced to fire through the legs of Tim Krul on 26 minutes before making way for Firmino on the hour mark.

The Brazilian took just five minutes to double Liverpool's lead from Salah's unselfish cross before the Egyptian blasted home to score on the opening day for the fifth consecutive season.

For all of you USA soccer fans, Joe Scully started today at the young age of 18 for Borussia Mönchengladbach and played a hell of a game against Bayern. He shut down Sane and was the best defender on the field.

On top of that Gio Reyna also scored at Dortmund.

These kids will be good. I haven't even thought about Joe Scully being on the field for Qatar, but if he keeps it up, he most def. will.

Newcastle just went up 2-1 at home against West Ham, 42’. A wonderfully entertaining match, glorious soccer. Now, off to the gym! (For those who need reminding, putting this in my post is a little life hack of mine. It helps me get things done.)

Reactions: LaJollaLion
Newcastle just went up 2-1 at home against West Ham, 42’. A wonderfully entertaining match, glorious soccer. Now, off to the gym! (For those who need reminding, putting this in my post is a little life hack of mine. It helps me get things done.)
3-2 Hammers now. Great match.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Sonny is the new Harry !!!!!!!

I've never felt Harry Kane's influence on a game matched his stats. For all the goals, it rarely feels like he's creating on his own. It's PKs and finishing on solid assists. I'm sure I'm being unfair, but even Son's goal today where he faces someone straight up and beats them for a goal, doesn't seem like Kane does that often at all.

Hate Spurs, but i think it would be a shame for Kane to leave that team. I thought the same with Bale. Stick it out instead of riding the bench at some super club.

I've never felt Harry Kane's influence on a game matched his stats. For all the goals, it rarely feels like he's creating on his own. It's PKs and finishing on solid assists. I'm sure I'm being unfair, but even Son's goal today where he faces someone straight up and beats them for a goal, doesn't seem like Kane does that often at all.
Yeah, I feel likewise.

ADVERTISEMENT