ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 Regular Season Opponents for Penn State Wrestlers

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Following is a list of the ranked wrestlers (top-25) our guys could face this season. The list is in the order that they would be faced, so any ranked wrestler for Rutgers would be listed first. I used Flo’s rankings, and did not list our guy at each weight :).

A couple of facts, assuming no injuries and the opposing coaches go with their best guys even in a tri-meet:
  • 197 has the highest number of ranked opponents, six (of the nine duals)
  • 174 and 184 have the next highest, five
  • 141 has the fewest, two, with 133 and 165 having three
  • All four of heavyweight’s opponents are top-6
  • 125, 133, 149, 174, 184, and 197 all wrestle three top-10 opponents
  • 141, while having only two top-10, they are #1 and #2
#20 Nic Agular RUT
#2 Rayvon Foley MSU
#9 Mike DeAugustino NU
#1 Spencer Lee IA

#1 Nick Suriano, or (I’ll say #6) Sammy Alvarez RUT
#3 Steven Micic MICH
#5 Austin DeSanto IA

#1 Sebastian Rivera RUT
#2 Jaydin Eierman IA

#12 Yahya Thomas NU
#9 Kanen Storr MICH
#7 Max Murin IA
#1 Sammy Sasso tOSU

#1 Ryan Deakin NU
#11 Will Lewan MICH
#11 Kaleb Young IA
#23 Elijah Cleary tOSU

#19 Jacob Tucker MSU
#2 Alex Marinelli IA
#13 Carson Karchla tOSU

#21 Joe Grello RUT
#17 Drew Hughes MSU
#2 Logan Massa MICH
#1 Michael Kemerer IA
#4 Kaleb Romero tOSU

#22 Layne Malczewski MSU
#1 Myles Amine MICH
#14 Chris Weiler WIS
#9 Abe Assad IA
#10 Rocky Jordan tOSU

#14 Billy Janzer RUT
#7 Cameron Caffey MSU
#6 Lucas Davison NU
#15 Jelani Embree MICH
#4 Jacob Warner IA
#16 Chase Singletary tOSU

#2 Mason Parris MICH
#5 Trent Hillger WIS
#4 Anthony Cassioppi IA
#6 Tate Orndorff tOSU

Wow 157 is light this year, also 141 has 2 hard matches and should be clear sailing.

I’m interested how the seeds will play out at NCAAs with the limited participants and guys outside B1G 10s with inflated records compared to guys in our conference. You’re going to see a lot of very good wrestlers end up 5-4, compared to a bunch of undefeated wrestlers in other conferences

@RoarLions1

Good stuff!

I posted a similar thread the other day on HR for the Hawkeye wrestlers. I gotta say, your format is much more viewer friendly than mine was...

tumblr_myzugtqJT31sjs1fmo3_250.gif

Reactions: slaterun
I’m interested how the seeds will play out at NCAAs with the limited participants and guys outside B1G 10s with inflated records compared to guys in our conference. You’re going to see a lot of very good wrestlers end up 5-4, compared to a bunch of undefeated wrestlers in other conferences

A perfect example of this may just be Cassioppi. He hits Steveson, Parris, and Kerkvliet in duals. Then most likely 2 of them again at bigs. He could very well have a 9-5 record going into NCAA's.

Reactions: Dogwelder
A perfect example of this may just be Cassioppi. He hits Steveson, Parris, and Kerkvliet in duals. Then most likely 2 of them again at bigs. He could very well have a 9-5 record going into NCAA's.

Or even worse Orndoff from tOSU. Ranked 6 in country and will have top 5 in his conference. Could have losing record going into NCAAs and didn’t do anything wrong.

Our wrestlers will face 7 #1s and 5 #2. Only 197 doesn't have a #1 or #2.

By the end of the regular season we should have a pretty good idea where each wrestler stands relative to podium.

Gee, what a shame that would be if he ends up 6 at NCAAs and can’t get through 3 seed Parris in QF.

Reactions: AndEEss
Gee, what a shame that would be if he ends up 6 at NCAAs and can’t get through 3 seed Parris in QF.
That's a distinct possibility -- and maybe even lower. It's hard to see a 4- or 5-loss Cass being seeded ahead of Stencel. B12 has a number of quality HWTs -- its champ (AJ Nevills?) could also get a top 8 seed. Schultz and Elam both could sneak in there as well.

NCAA seeding is gonna be such a total crapshoot this year.

Reactions: hlstone
That's a distinct possibility -- and maybe even lower. It's hard to see a 4- or 5-loss Cass being seeded ahead of Stencel. B12 has a number of quality HWTs -- its champ (AJ Nevills?) could also get a top 8 seed. Schultz and Elam both could sneak in there as well.

NCAA seeding is gonna be such a total crapshoot this year.
Schultz, almost forgot bout him, as prolly alot of folks have. He’s a bad draw man,possible semi finalist.

Reactions: hlstone
Cass could lose to:

Kerkvliet
Steveson
Parris
Orndorff
Schultz

He will very likely have a losing record heading into the final two weekends of the regular season, even if he beats one of those listed above.

Devils advocate - doesn't Kerk face the same issues?

His Freestyle results certainly lead us to think he can win against most, if not all, heavies, but I can see a lot of them slowing the match down on their feet and trying to win Tony Nelson style.

Not saying they will be successful, just thinking out loud.

His Freestyle results certainly lead us to think he can win against most, if not all, heavies, but I can see a lot of them slowing the match down on their feet and trying to win Tony Nelson style.

I’m guessing the young man in question is 20lbs heavier, significantly stronger and a lot fitter than senior nats in 2019. I’d bet one whole American greenback that match goes very differently if they meet again.

The crazy thing is that he moves so well on his feet that he can attack from space. He can have one hand on the other guy, no head contact, and hit that ankle pick from
a mile out.

I’m guessing the young man in question is 20lbs heavier, significantly stronger and a lot fitter than senior nats in 2019. I’d bet one whole American greenback that match goes very differently if they meet again.

The crazy thing is that he moves so well on his feet that he can attack from space. He can have one hand on the other guy, no head contact, and hit that ankle pick from
a mile out.

Yep, I'm not willing to bet one whole American greenback you're wrong.

Cass could lose to:

Kerkvliet
Steveson
Parris
Orndorff
Schultz

He will very likely have a losing record heading into the final two weekends of the regular season, even if he beats one of those listed above.
Cass cannot lose to Schultz before NCAAs.

Maybe you meant Hillger? I don't think he loses that match, but that's at least feasible.

As usual, great job Roar. Seeing the list of PSU's likely opponents makes it all the more painful that these great matches will tae place in empty arenas. Places like Rec Hall and Carver Hawkeye would have contributed greatly to the atmosphere and performance of the matches. Next year???

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Cass cannot lose to Schultz before NCAAs.

Maybe you meant Hillger? I don't think he loses that match, but that's at least feasible.

You’re right. For some reason I got Schultz and Christian Lance from NEB mixed up.

Schultz has had middling college results. A loss to AJ Nevills and no wins over anyone ranked in the top 100 by Wrestlestat during his redshirt year. In the opening weekend of this year, against an unranked opponent from Little Rock, he only won by 2-0. Unless the NCAA is switching to Greco this March, I don't think he's much of a threat to make the semifinals.

Reactions: PASLP2

giphy.gif

As usual, great job Roar. Seeing the list of PSU's likely opponents makes it all the more painful that these great matches will tae place in empty arenas. Places like Rec Hall and Carver Hawkeye would have contributed greatly to the atmosphere and performance of the matches. Next year???
Please tell me that each wrestler gets at lease 3-4 family members at least...

Please tell me that each wrestler gets at lease 3-4 family members at least...
That guidance, I believe, will come from the University, after a review of PA's restrictions. The Big Ten could step in and decide on a universal position after input from all schools.

I believe an overall losing record for a heavyweight in the Big Ten could still earn them a trip to NCAA's. When Kerkvliet enters the top-10, the conference could have six of the nations best near the top of the heavyweight rankings. They will beat up on each other a bit, and one of them (I doubt two) may have a losing record after the Big Ten Championships. By criteria, and assuming each beats all the guys they are supposed to, all those below should get in...again, even if one has a losing record. It is an unusual year.

#1 Steveson
#2 Parris
#3 Cassioppi
#3 Hillger
#6 Orndorff
#12 Kerkvliet

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT