ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Southern Scuffle Thread

Aren't you including Sykora as one of the "top 10 ranked guys"? I don't think he'll be top 10 in a hot second and won't be the rest of the year. And one point wins could easily be one point losses. But I know you don't get much to be excited about in Catpeeland, so have at it.
I didn’t decide his “top 10 ranking” the ranking polls did.. don’t get why u said to educate myself on him ..lol..

Can we start a new thread... maybe call it "The Ring". Everyone who has a beef with someone else can go there and knock themselves out arguing. Because personal petty jabs are making this read like a football board.
Great idea!

Turk, if you're listening, I have two words for you....

" ding ding"

I'm quite enthused about all 3 guys right now. Starocci is looking great! Not to take anything away from him (at all!), but he hasn't yet faced the same level of competition that Lee and Beard have faced. Here are results with ranked wrestlers (Intermat):

Lee:
L--#8 Bullard 9-4
L--#13 Wittlake 8-4
W--UR but NQ Flynn Fall
Wrestles #11 Wentzel for 5th

Starocci:
W--#16 Carey 13-5
Wrestles UR Harvey for 1st

Beard:
W--#19 Pagano 9-0
W--#4 Reenan 1-0
W--#6 Geer 10-4
L--#8 Traxler 9-7
Wrestles #18 Laird for 3rd

And, it should be noted that in both of Lee's and Beard's losses our wrestlers had sizeable leads in each loss. Lee was up 4-1 with significant RT in both his losses; and Beard was up 6-2 with significant RT in his loss. All winnable. The common denominator was need to work on bottom for both Lee and Beard. Beard has faced the toughest competition by far.

SO--goal is not to take anything whatsoever away from Starocci, but to say that Lee and Beard have had very good Scuffles as well; and it's not yet clear to me who's got the most promise among them.

I was also very impressed with Beard's Scuffle performance. That said, my question, if I could, is what do you all seeing Cael and company doing at 97? Since Beard did perform so well at the Scuffle, do you all see him going at 97, or do you see Cael going with Conel for the rest of the year despite the fact that he doesn't seem to be the same Conel who was a beast at the 2018 NCAAs. This year seems to be a very tight raise, and it appears that every point will matter, so was wondering what you all think of the situation at 97. Thank you.

Reactions: NoVaLion2
I was also very impressed with Beard's Scuffle performance. That said, my question, if I could, is what do you all seeing Cael and company doing at 97? Since Beard did perform so well at the Scuffle, do you all see him going at 97, or do you see Cael going with Conel for the rest of the year despite the fact that he doesn't seem to be the same Conel who was a beast at the 2018 NCAAs. This year seems to be a very tight raise, and it appears that every point will matter, so was wondering what you all think of the situation at 97. Thank you.
I believe only a few know. Shak is rumored to be there and could do great at that weight with the exception of the OSU match-up. Right now the season starter hasn't been ruled out of the mix.

Conel’s injury looked every bit as serious as Cassar’s even though Conel toughed it out the last minute or so.

IIRC this was the previously injured shoulder/arm.

Is there any chance he even takes the mat for us again?

Agree. I was about to post the same idea. Beard looks super on his feet through 4 minutes. Then, some fatigue sets in. Not able to fire off his great shots, and a hair slow in defending shots. But, that's all it takes. IMHO, he needs to run 8 miles a day. When he wrestles the last 3 minutes like he does the first 4 minutes he is a top 5 wrestler.

I thought that interval training had replaced long distance running as the preferred exercise to improve conditioning. Is that not the case with wrestling?

I thought that interval training had replaced long distance running as the preferred exercise to improve conditioning. Is that not the case with wrestling?
That's not really the case with running, let alone wrestling. While today's runners' training methods are wildly different than back in the day, LSD (that's long, slow distance, you freaks) has not been 'replaced,' only supplemented.

That's not really the case with running, let alone wrestling. While today's runners' training methods are wildly different than back in the day, LSD (that's long, slow distance, you freaks) has not been 'replaced,' only supplemented.

"Conditioning" and "replaced" weren't the best terms to use. High intensity interval training is good for endurance and cardiovascular benefits, which is why I suspected it might have been integrated into wrestling training regimens.

Reactions: pawrestlersintn
missed stopping in Nashville from my way from the Scuffle this year. Perhaps next..
It's funny you say that because I was going to go to the Scuffle this year until PSU as a team opted out. Clearly they still had some impressive individual performances, but it's just not the same. BTW, next time you're in this area, I definitely recommend you stop for at least a night or two. This place is growing every day and the partying, people watching, and honky tonks on lower Broadway are priceless. This place is party central whether your 21 or 61. Great place to visit!! :)

It's funny you say that because I was going to go to the Scuffle this year until PSU as a team opted out. Clearly they still had some impressive individual performances, but it's just not the same. BTW, next time you're in this area, I definitely recommend you stop for at least a night or two. This place is growing every day and the partying, people watching, and honky tonks on lower Broadway are priceless. This place is party central whether your 21 or 61. Great place to visit!! :)
As someone who travels that way occasionally for business, seconded.

Actually my trips are to Huntsville, but when possible I fly into Nashville and drive 2 hrs. Worth it.

Actually my trips are to Huntsville, but when possible I fly into Nashville and drive 2 hrs. Worth it.
I"m headed to Huntsville this weekend to watch my goddaughter's cheer competition. She's a little bad ass 9-year old. :) I'll be there Friday and Saturday night...any recommendations for food and night life for a married middle aged man? :) Thank you, my friend!

Reactions: hlstone

Thirded, I travel there semi-regular for business. I am not much with partying anymore but there are awesome restaurants!

I"m headed to Huntsville this weekend to watch my goddaughter's cheer competition. She's a little bad ass 9-year old. :) I'll be there Friday and Saturday night...any recommendations for food and night life for a married middle aged man? :) Thank you, my friend!
Obviously depends on what you like ... the places I usually hit:
- 1892 East -- wine bar in 5 Points area about a mile NE of downtown
- Phuket - Thai in Providence Main Street (off Univ Drive, NW of Redstone Arsenal)
- 2 Vietnamese places and House of Kabob (all near Univ Drive, NE of Redstone)
- the chains in Bridge Street (NW of Redstone) -- Connor's is the best of them

Have heard good things about Straight to Ale Brewery -- massive converted high school on Governors just west of downtown.

A lot of my co-workers like to go to Grille 29 -- steakhouse in Providence Main Street. I'm not a fan but that's my tastes. If the menu looks good to you, then go, it is a nice place.

Skip downtown. Pleasant but restaurants not that good, overpriced, or both. Except the Greek place which is truly awful.

While there, be sure to go to the Rocket Museum on I-565.

Obviously depends on what you like ... the places I usually hit:
- 1892 East -- wine bar in 5 Points area about a mile NE of downtown
- Phuket - Thai in Providence Main Street (off Univ Drive, NW of Redstone Arsenal)
- 2 Vietnamese places and House of Kabob (all near Univ Drive, NE of Redstone)
- the chains in Bridge Street (NW of Redstone) -- Connor's is the best of them

Have heard good things about Straight to Ale Brewery -- massive converted high school on Governors just west of downtown.

A lot of my co-workers like to go to Grille 29 -- steakhouse in Providence Main Street. I'm not a fan but that's my tastes. If the menu looks good to you, then go, it is a nice place.

Skip downtown. Pleasant but restaurants not that good, overpriced, or both. Except the Greek place which is truly awful.

While there, be sure to go to the Rocket Museum on I-565.

Phuket?? Is that the place you go when everywhere else is closed?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT