ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Class Thread

The unverified "word" I hear coming from Elysburg/Catawissa is that Mom is prepared to "move" close to where son matriculates. That tells me, that the young lady may be our best hope for keeping Julian in Pa.

This is a challenging recruitment for sure. I am hopeful that Franklin as a mentor type figure wins out. The parallels in their backgrounds are very similar.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
The unverified "word" I hear coming from Elysburg/Catawissa is that Mom is prepared to "move" close to where son matriculates. That tells me, that the young lady may be our best hope for keeping Julian in Pa.
That’s ridiculous, for the mom I mean. Who is she, MacArthur’s mom? What’a the purpose of going away to school only to have mom follow you? And I’m sure none of his teammates would break his balls about that.:rolleyes:

This is a challenging recruitment for sure. I am hopeful that Franklin as a mentor type figure wins out. The parallels in their backgrounds are very similar.
As a PSU fan and a SCA Alum, I am hoping it all works out. But, as an "old coach," I have some reservations about Fleming. He is quite a bit older than his competition. I believe he is going to be 19 when he plays this year. I think we should all wonder how much greater his "upside" really is. I'm sure CJF has contingencies in his recruiting model at WR and it is possible that there is a 17 year old 4* out there that in 2 years could surpass Julian in performance.
Again, just thinking out loud, not denying that Julian could have a monster career.

Reactions: colt21 and LionJim
That’s ridiculous, for the mom I mean. Who is she, MacArthur’s mom? What’a the purpose of going away to school only to have mom follow you? And I’m sure none of his teammates would break his balls about that.:rolleyes:
Are you on any medication? MacArthur did quite well....I can't judge if it was because of or in spite of his mother. Perhaps you should just reach out to her and set her straight?

So in one hand you have Wingos mom leading the recruiting charge from FL and in the other you have Flemings mom right down the road who will go wherever he goes

With the portal it is a whole new ball game. Any chance they t

With the portal it is a whole new game. Any chance they take a second QB?

I am thinking with the amount of turnover they might need to over recruit every position.
I haven't heard a lot of rumbling about a second QB, but your point is valid about the position. You not only have to protect against a QB transfer, but when you have a commit from so far away, there is also the risk of a de-commit. (I hope that's not the case with Bowens)

Are you on any medication? MacArthur did quite well....I can't judge if it was because of or in spite of his mother. Perhaps you should just reach out to her and set her straight?
Did your mom follow you to college? Yes, I am on meds and it’s a good thing.

As a PSU fan and a SCA Alum, I am hoping it all works out. But, as an "old coach," I have some reservations about Fleming. He is quite a bit older than his competition. I believe he is going to be 19 when he plays this year. I think we should all wonder how much greater his "upside" really is. I'm sure CJF has contingencies in his recruiting model at WR and it is possible that there is a 17 year old 4* out there that in 2 years could surpass Julian in performance.
Again, just thinking out loud, not denying that Julian could have a monster career.

Out loud, yes.Thinking, not so much

Last edited:
Ok, so this will be an ongoing battle to land Fleming and obviously the current national championship team is going to fight hard for him.

It will be interesting to see what Franklin ends up doing in this recruitment - if CJF and the coaches show too much love then it looks as if they are desperate and not enough it may appear that they aren't as devoted to Julian as other schools.

In the end, it may not matter as Julian's decision doesn't appear to be driven by any loyalty to location or to the school nearest to him...

We need to use Dunmore or Simmons a lot this year, if they are remotely capable of stepping in and competing. Otherwise, it's an uphill battle with the defending champs who just had a couple true freshman explode last year.

CJF needs to continue to play the best players, the players that give him the best chance to win games. Period. It's about winning. For the fans. For the recruits. For the program.

The other issue I see with playing young players just to show the opportunities available is that glaringly playing a younger potentially more talented player over a 3rd or 4th year player that at that point knows the offense and finer points of the game (blocking, route adjustments,.... for a WR) is that it would create more disgruntled players and more turnover given the new transfer rules. A true championship contending team still needs a good bit of seasoned and mature leadership and depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: djr4rebs
CJF needs to continue to play the best players, the players that give him the best chance to win games. Period. It's about winning. For the fans. For the recruits. For the program.

Agreed, but if either one of them shows capability, push them into the two deep and make it a priority to get them a few targets.

Shorter having a great season will also help, but Clemson has 2 advantages over us presently that we can't argue. Just a fact.

I believe, in Pa., 19 yr. old kids are not eligible to play.

Below is a rundown of the top performers from Sunday's loaded Adidas West Coast Invitational. (7v7)

*Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman three-star quarterback Micah Bowens continued his solid offseason with another fine performance. The Penn State pledge had nice zip on his throws and distributed the football to all of his receivers in leading his 702 Elite squad to the semi-finals.

James Franklin and his staff are going overseas looking for recruits. They appear to be jumping on the latest recruiting phenomenon — highlighted by a reported recruiting trip to Germany.

"This feels close to becoming a bit of a critical mass and becoming more of a common pillar to a lot of recruiting strategies," said Barton Simmons, scouting director for 247Sports.

James Franklin appears to be embracing the international recruiting scene, particular the recent push to scour Europe for prospects. He's reportedly taking his staff to Germany in late April.

"It's like a gold rush of sorts. I think there is a feeling that's it's a bit of an untapped resource out there. It's the race to be first and to establish the relationships and the networks out there and to know your way around."

It's a no-brainer for Penn State and Franklin, known as an ultra-successful, aggressive recruiter. There's also this: Penn State defensive line coach Sean Spencer once coached the guy who has become a funneling agent of sorts for European talent.

Spencer coached Brandon Collier at Massachusetts before the defensive tackle bounced around the NFL, Canadian Football League and European leagues. Collier said he was impressed, if not stunned, by the amount of raw American football talent on his European teams — talent that simply needed the same guidance he received in college.

Franklin and the Penn State staff are then scheduled to visit prospects in Germany at the end of April, starting with Darkwa, that 6-foot-5, 270-pounder who should grow into a defensive tackle.

"He's got to work on his strength, he never really worked out in the gym," Collier said. "He's just naturally big and athletic. But, man, once he gets in his weight room program he’s going to be a freak of nature."

Collier said he will never forget the men, like Penn State's Spencer, who helped him turn a small-school college career into a profession.

From Elevenwarriors.com

Clemson's 247 person sources believe we [Ohio State] are the team to beat for Fleming. Per the article:

"The next step? Getting his grandfather on campus.

Fleming won't make a commitment decision until that happens; his grandfather is an important figure in his family.

But that should happen within the next couple of months. (It won't happen for the spring game as that's the same weekend as The Opening regional in his area.)

Ohio State will also get his grandfather on campus this spring or summer.

I spoke with a source who believes the Buckeyes are the team to beat instead of Penn State. His relationship with Ohio State wide receivers coach Brian Hartline is a factor.
"

From Elevenwarriors.com

Clemson's 247 person sources believe we [Ohio State] are the team to beat for Fleming. Per the article:

Fleming won't make a commitment decision until that happens; his grandfather is an important figure in his family.

But that should happen within the next couple of months. (It won't happen for the spring game as that's the same weekend as The Opening regional in his area.)

I spoke with a source who believes the Buckeyes are the team to beat instead of Penn State. His relationship with Ohio State wide receivers coach Brian Hartline is a factor.
"

Isn't it a given that Ohio State is the team to beat for anyone it offers? Of course, if they do go elsewhere, then the offer wasn't committable anyway.

Reactions: Thomas1945
From Elevenwarriors.com

"

Yuck. If this is true, the WR position coach debacle at PS has to play a role in this. If the previous coach didn't have a strong bond with Fleming and for Parker to have to come in and start building a relationship from the ground up is difficult. Still, Hartiline hasn't been in that position for very long at O$U....

Isn't it a given that Ohio State is the team to beat for anyone it offers? Of course, if they do go elsewhere, then the offer wasn't committable anyway.

It was the Clemson 247 guy saying that OSU leads.

iu

Yuck. If this is true, the WR position coach debacle at PS has to play a role in this. If the previous coach didn't have a strong bond with Fleming and for Parker to have to come in and start building a relationship from the ground up is difficult. Still, Hartiline hasn't been in that position for very long at O$U....

Fleming has had multiple quotes saying he'd like to play out of state, see other things. If a kid who has been to our campus, what, 20 times or so, prefers the Ohio State vibe to Penn State...only thing you can do is continue to recruit the position well. We already have a 2021 WR verbal who will be very good. Sucks, but just gotta keep grinding away.

Fleming has had multiple quotes saying he'd like to play out of state, see other things. If a kid who has been to our campus, what, 20 times or so, prefers the Ohio State vibe to Penn State...only thing you can do is continue to recruit the position well. We already have a 2021 WR verbal who will be very good. Sucks, but just gotta keep grinding away.

If he goes to OSU over PSU or Clemson (or UGA), he's basing his decision on more than "getting out of the state, seeing other places".

Regardless, he has months to go before the ESD. I'm sure it's fun to be treated like the biggest deal ever every place you visit. Very interesting that the Clemson insider said that though.

Next man up.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
If he goes to OSU over PSU or Clemson (or UGA), he's basing his decision on more than "getting out of the state, seeing other places".

Regardless, he has months to go before the ESD. I'm sure it's fun to be treated like the biggest deal ever every place you visit. Very interesting that the Clemson insider said that though.

"Part of me, great, it’s Pa., and it’s close and everything. But the other thing is am I going to stay in Pa. my whole life? There are so many opportunities to get out of that area and be in a whole new environment.” - Fleming

I might be totally out of whack here, but I don't see losing a 5-star WR as so catastrophic. In fact, I'd rank the WR position below DT, DE, CB, QB, LB, OL, and S as far as "must get" players. {Note: I admit to my obvious "old school bias, here.]

James Franklin will recruit a tall, fast, agile WR who likely will be ranked lower than Fleming but who could still catch the critical 3rd-down pass to move the chains. And few WRs are "every-down" guys anyway.

I am not saying that I won't be happy should Fleming sign with PSU, but I will not be as disappointed as I would if we lost the #1 DT from our prime area. I remember how bummed I was when Rashan Gary signed with the Evil Empire ... but the Penn State DL still had more sacks even w/o him.

If we could only get 1 between Fleming and Bresee, I'd prefer the latter.

I might be totally out of whack here, but I don't see losing a 5-star WR as so catastrophic. In fact, I'd rank the WR position below DT, DE, CB, QB, LB, OL, and S as far as "must get" players. {Note: I admit to my obvious "old school bias, here.]

James Franklin will recruit a tall, fast, agile WR who likely will be ranked lower than Fleming but who could still catch the critical 3rd-down pass to move the chains. And few WRs are "every-down" guys anyway.

I am not saying that I won't be happy should Fleming sign with PSU, but I will not be as disappointed as I would if we lost the #1 DT from our prime area. I remember how bummed I was when Rashan Gary signed with the Evil Empire ... but the Penn State DL still had more sacks even w/o him.

If we could only get 1 between Fleming and Bresee, I'd prefer the latter.

Not looking promising for either one right now.

Some of the highly ranked recruits in our region aren't the locks that some predicted. But this is where having a head coach and staff that are so 1) hard working 2) able to relate to today's athlete's 3) good at identifying talent before other schools is going to come in handy. I have full confidence that Franklin will cobble together a Top 15 class coming off a 4 loss season and maybe not having "the juice" right now. Of course, that is the 20,000 foot view right now, but we know the ups and downs in recruiting. Things change, that you can count on.

Anyone that follows a recruit , his parents and his girlfriend on twitter needs to get a life. I suggest they pull their pants up, put down the playboy/recruiting news and go out.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT