ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Class Thread

Gentlemen, Coach is clearly shooting for the #1 class in 2020. Besides making a push for #1 overall Bresee and leading for the #1 RB and #1 WR, he is pushing for the #3 WR and #10 overall Rooks. You thought Shorter, George, Dotson, Anderson, and maybe Enis was the best WR class ever? Imagine a WR class with the #1 WR Fleming (#5 overall) and the #3 WR Rooks (#10 overall) leading it!

Nittany Lions target elite 2020 WR Porter Rooks

Penn State continues to selectively piece together its 2020 recruiting target board with focus on the nation’s finest young prospects. Along with a Wednesday scholarship offer to 6-foot-7, 275-pound Cincinnati offensive tackle Paris Johnson, this week also featured the start of a pursuit for premier receiver Porter Rooks.

The 6-1, 180-pound playmaker picked up a Penn State offer on Monday. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a high school sophomore with more early college opportunities than Rooks.

He collected offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Miami and Notre Dame before the 2017 season. Interest among Big Ten teams began to mount since then, as Penn State joins Wisconsin, Maryland and Michigan in this mix.

Rooks, who attends Providence Day School (Charlotte, N.C.), joins Pennsylvania standout Julian Fleming on the Nittany Lions’ 2020 receiver board. Both players are considered top-10 overall talents in 247Sports 2020 rankings. Fleming is listed fifth overall and first among receivers, while Rooks lands 10th overall and third at the position.

He caught 66 passes for 810 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2017, according to MaxPreps.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...offer-114192703/Amp?__twitter_impression=true

Top 2020 OT
claims Penn State offer

• by Andrew Callahan
  • 20 hours ago
(Photo: 247Sports)
6_7854814.jpg

Cincinnati (OH) St. Xavier 2020 offensive tackle Paris Johnson Jr.claimed a Penn State offer Wednesday.

The 6-foot-7, 275-pound talent is one of the fastest rising prospects of his class and at his position. To date in the month of January, Johnson Jr. has received offers from Iowa State, Michigan, Northwestern and Notre Dame. Clemson, Michigan State and Ohio State have also tendered scholarships.

Honored to Receive an Offer from Pennsylvania State University❕ #WeAre⚪️ pic.twitter.com/ZltO6c6PP9

— Paris Johnson Jr. (@ParisJohnsonJr) January 24, 2018

The Buckeyes hold a lead of 44 percent on all other predictions logged in Johnson Jr.'s 247Sports Crystal Ball.

Johnson Jr. is currently unranked by 247Sports Composite rankings and 247Sports. He is a former teammate of current Nittany Lions back-up quarterback Sean Clifford.

Penn State holds no verbal commitments in the 2020 cycle.

Washington D.C. St. John's College 2020 cornerback Luke Hill announced he received a Penn State offer Thursday.

It's his second major offer of the new year, following a tender from South Carolina. The 6-foot, 170-pound cover man is currently unranked by the 247Sports Composite rankings and 247Sports. He picked up his first offer from Virginia Tech in June and took part in the Hokies' Junior day on Jan. 14.

Since his original offer, the Lions, Boston College, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple and Virginia have also entered the mix. Penn State cornerbacks coach Terry Smith is Hill's primary recruiter.

The excitement was evident in Julian Fleming's voice Saturday night, so he didn't have to say it.

But he did anyway.

The top player in Pennsylvania for the 2020 class added an offer from Alabama Friday and one from Georgia Saturday.

When the teams that just played in the national title game offer on consecutive days, it's special.

Throw in an offer from Arkansas, also on Friday, and it's been a big weekend for the Southern Columbia sophomore receiver.

"It's been kind of crazy," Fleming said. "It's been amazing. I couldn't ask for anything better."

Recruiting has come at the 6-foot-1, 175 pounder fast.

His first offer came from Michigan as a freshman.

Since, he's racked up a list that also includes Michigan State, Connecticut, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia Tech and West Virginia.

Penn State has offered, too.

And, Fleming said, he spoke to new Nittany Lions receivers coach David Corley Friday.

"He just introduced himself, said he was going to be taking over, and said he wanted to start developing a relationship," Fleming said. "He said he wanted to get me there."

The biggest hurdle for Corley and the Nittany Lions, however, might be the team's former receivers coach, Josh Gattis.

Gattis, Fleming said, made the Alabama offer.

"I just called him to say congratulations, and he said he wants to get me down South," Fleming said. "He offered, and obviously, they have a great tradition.

"I was in complete shock. That is the biggest school in ... anywhere."

Fleming might have had a big weekend, but, he said, he won't be making any visits anytime soon.

He said that is because he has to have surgery to repair a labrum.

"I have to get it fixed," he said. "But I should be fine."

Fleming caught 69 passes for 1,462 yards and 20 touchdowns last season, and had 35 tackles, a sack and four interceptions while helping lead his team to a state title.

Check out his film below:

See above link. Bryce Young's sophomore highlights are off the hook! Elusive. Accurate. Throwing pinpoint strikes for forty yard TDs while sprinting! Says he has relatives in PA. Hope CJF is all over this kid.
"He's on the very short list when talking about the top quarterbacks nationally in the 2020 class and is a dynamic athlete. He threw for 3,431 yards and 41 touchdowns with just three interceptions while rushing for 287 yards and eight more scores."

Bryce is the No. 1 dual threat QB in the Class of 2020 and plans to make a decision this summer. UCLA looks to have an edge but he wants to visit Penn State.

"He's on the very short list when talking about the top quarterbacks nationally in the 2020 class and is a dynamic athlete. He threw for 3,431 yards and 41 touchdowns with just three interceptions while rushing for 287 yards and eight more scores."

Bryce is the No. 1 dual threat QB in the Class of 2020 and plans to make a decision this summer. UCLA looks to have an edge but he wants to visit Penn State.

OMG his OL reminds me of our OL from 2015.. jeez!

Man oh man this 2020 class could be the best one yet if we can manage to get most of those kids!

Edit: First QB to receive an offer in the Class of 2021 is Caleb Williams. Do we have a thread for that?

Last edited:

"The school I’d really like to hear from is Penn State," he stated. "Ever since I was a kid I had a dream to go to Penn State. It’s one of my dream schools. It’s such a prestigious program and a hard school to get into. It’s somewhere I would definitely feel comfortable at in going to play football and being able to excel in my career after football."

"The school I’d really like to hear from is Penn State," he stated. "Ever since I was a kid I had a dream to go to Penn State. It’s one of my dream schools. It’s such a prestigious program and a hard school to get into. It’s somewhere I would definitely feel comfortable at in going to play football and being able to excel in my career after football."

“Coach (Chip) LaBarca”, former PSU player, is his OC.

Offers from Penn State, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, etc.

Top RB set to visit

Jalen Berger is one of two running backs (Chris Tyree is the other) that the Lions have focused on early in the 2020 cycle, and he's set to visit campus on Wednesday.

His high school, Don Bosco Prep in New Jersey, has had a few recruits on campus so far this spring, and the 6-foot, 175-pound four-star becomes only the latest to have the chance to check out campus. He will then see Florida Thursday, Tennessee Friday, and Kentucky on Saturday to equal a full week of recruiting action.

O

5-star WR Julian Fleming plans to explore options, return to Penn State

Considered the No. 1 receiver and No. 2 overall recruit in the 247Sports 2020 rankings, Fleming can expect consistent attention from several Power-5 coaching staffs until the day he signs a National Letter of Intent.

Fleming, who collected 105 receptions for 2,418 yards and 33 touchdowns as an underclassman, again spent time on campus Monday. He traveled to Happy Valley alongside his grandfather and uncle.

“It was fun. I know a lot of the people up there just from past visits, so it was another opportunity to spend time with them,” Fleming said. “Everything was well prepared and I was greeted by every single coach as soon as I walked in.”

His visit coincided with one from fellow prized 2020 prospect Paris Johnson Jr., who is listed as the top tackle recruits in 2020 rankings. They ate lunch together, sharing the meal with their respective families and members of the Nittany Lions staff.

“He’s every bit of 6-7,” Fleming observed. “Penn State coaches made us a priority and made sure we felt appreciated. They want us, not just as players but as the individuals we are outside of football.”

Bringing the list of 2020 guys over here:
2020:
5* WR #2 overall Julian Fleming
5* DE #1 overall Bryan Bresee
4* WR #45 overall Rakim Jarrett
4* DT #59 overall Tre Williams
4* CB #62 overall Luke Hill
5* RB #24 overall Marshawn Lloyd

Last edited:
5-star WR Julian Fleming feels wanted at Penn State

Listed No. 1 overall among receiver recruits in the 247Sports 2020 rankings, the 6-foot-2, 190-pound playmaker has become accustomed to a growing spotlight. He traveled to State College for the second time in April, and Fleming has been a frequent visitor since Penn State extended a scholarship offer in June. These trips have helped establish substantial rapport with the Nittany Lions staff, and that process progressed during Blue-White festivities.

“I’ve never seen a more welcoming crew than Penn State,” Fleming said. “As soon as I arrive, I get greeted by almost every single coach. Every person in my family knows every one of them now.”

Parsons and Fleming spent time together in the Beaver Stadium tunnel before the Blue-White Game, which featured 8 tackles from the former Harrisburg (Pa.) High School standout.

“We’ve had a few conversations about the future and we talked a little bit again,” Fleming said. “He always says Penn State is the place to be and I’m next, but he also says to have fun in your recruitment and pick wherever feels like home.”

Fleming totaled 105 receptions for 2,418 yards (23 per catch) and 33 touchdowns as an underclassman, leading Southern Columbia to a state title in 2017.

DJuIJEhXoAEh0mf.jpg

Mekhail Sherman will be in this weekend.

Quoted from front page article:
“I mainly talk with Brent Pry and Tyler Bowen through my coaches at St. John’s,” Sherman said. “We talk on like a two-week interval, although sometimes I just hit them up [myself]. Our relationship has grown incredibly strong and I still have lots of love for Penn State because they were there before many other schools. They’ll always have a spot for me.”

Over the past year, Sherman has emerged as one of the top linebacker prospects in the entire country. He currently holds 18 scholarship offers, many of which are from the nation’s best: Georgia, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Tennessee, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin, to name a few.

In addition to Penn State, he’s only been able to visit Alabama, Maryland, North Carolina and N.C. State to this point. That'll change in the coming months, but it's still a good sign for the Lions that Sherman has elected to return to State College before seeing some other schools.

“I’m spending Friday night up there so I can get there early and catch up with Coach Pry before he has to attend to his family," Sherman said. "I’m mainly taking this personal visit to see the academic side of the college. I was taught that one of the main questions you got to ask yourself is, ‘if football didn’t exist, would I still pick this school?’

“But also, I’m trying to build on the relationship that my family and I already have with them.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT