ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Class Thread

More from Grant Toutant on Reason to Commit to Penn State
"I met GA (graduate assistant) Mark Dupuis the summer after my freshman season at the Wayne State prospects camp in Michigan. I was about 6’5 and about 230 lbs. He really liked my size and how I moved. He said he knew I probably wasn’t done growing yet and that I could put on more size. At the time, I was playing DE (defensive end) and no offense. He invited me to the underclassmen camp at Penn St. a few weeks later. I went to the camp, and did pretty good. They were the ones that put me on offense for the camp - (I had) never played it before that. (I) talked mostly to Dupuis, and he said they would be keeping an eye on me. While I was there, I met Coach (James) Franklin (Penn St. head coach). He liked my size, and that was all he really said. Even on my first visit, I liked how easy it was to talk to everyone and how friendly they were. And it didn’t seem fake or (like a) forced feeling. I really like the campus and area, too. This summer, I did a lot of camps, and they invited me back. I was now about 6’6 1/2 and 280 lbs. I had a great camp, and got to talk to Coach Matt Limegrover (the offensive line coach at PSU) a lot. He liked how I move my feet and fire off the ball. I play varsity basketball, too. He gave me some great advice on what I had to work on to 'check off all the boxes' to get an offer. At one point, he told me I had 'moments of brilliance and moments of Baby Colt.' It made complete sense. I’ve been growing, and putting on weight pretty quickly. So, it’s taken a bit to get a feel for my size. I worked all summer on what he told me, and also did speed and agility workouts outside of practice to help with balance and movement. They wanted to see film from this year, and when they did, he couldn’t believe the difference. Limegrover told me I 'checked off all the boxes' and offered me about 10 minutes after he saw my film. Coach Franklin and Coach (Tyler) Bowen (the offensive recruiting coordinator at PSU) came to my game against Oak Park while they were in town for the Michigan game. I was really impressed with that. Not many head coaches come out in the pouring rain to watch a high school game. I felt like they had a real interest in me, and really believed in my potential. Ever since my first visit, I’ve always had this feeling (that) it was just right. I can’t explain it."

Along with Bresee, the No. 1 overall talent in 247Sports 2020 composite rankings, Penn State appears to be a realistic contender for fellow five-star prospects such as receiverJulian Fleming(No. 9; Catawissa, Pa.), linebackersMekhail Sherman(No. 13; Washington, D.C.) Antoine Sampah(No. 21; Woodbridge, Va.), and running backsChris Tyree(No. 23; Chester, Va.) andMarShawn Lloyd(No. 25; Hyattsville, Md.).

The Nittany Lions lead 247Sports Crystal Ball prognostications for Fleming, Lloyd and Tyree. Ohio State has an advantage in Bresee's Crystal Ball, carrying 50 percent of predictions, while Penn State follows behind (38 percent).

***PSU has the last 3 Crystal Ball picks for Bresee****

C5jkDUXVMAAG-e_.jpg

Staff was at Williamstown today
The staff’s targets for 2020 are interesting, they have a legit shot at 20 top 200 guys. Then they have a bunch of unranked guys that keep popping up, undoubtably they are guys that will blow up based on Franklin’s track record. It’ll be fun to watch this one full up. Expect a trajectory similar to 2019. 14-20 commits mid season next year.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
The staff’s targets for 2020 are interesting, they have a legit shot at 20 top 200 guys. Then they have a bunch of unranked guys that keep popping up, undoubtably they are guys that will blow up based on Franklin’s track record. It’ll be fun to watch this one full up. Expect a trajectory similar to 2019. 14-20 commits mid season next year.
Lewis was at OSU this past weekend ... so they are interested as well

its obviously early, but Im told he really likes PSU

it was CJF, Chaos and Galliano there today

Lewis was at OSU this past weekend ... so they are interested as well

its obviously early, but Im told he really likes PSU

it was CJF, Chaos and Galliano there today
Coach Franklin can spot ‘em

Two Ohio State 2020 commits have now reopened their commitments after the Urban retirement. Penn State wasn't heavily involved in their recruitment prior to giving their verbals to OSU, but may be something to keep an eye on to see if PSU reaches out on either (Both from the south):

Lejond Cavajos - DB from Texas
Jake Wray - OT from Georgia

Two Ohio State 2020 commits have now reopened their commitments after the Urban retirement. Penn State wasn't heavily involved in their recruitment prior to giving their verbals to OSU, but may be something to keep an eye on to see if PSU reaches out on either (Both from the south):

Lejond Cavajos - DB from Texas
Jake Wray - OT from Georgia

Sounds like 5 star, #8 overall OSU OT verbal Paris Johnson Jr. isn't going to be far behind.

Top-rated Ohio State commit Paris Johnson Jr. surprised by Urban Meyer retirement
Announcement 'unexpected' for St. X junior OT

SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP, Ohio – Urban Meyer’s retirement announcement Tuesday morning had a significant impact on St. Xavier junior offensive tackle Paris Johnson Jr.

Johnson, rated the nation’s No. 8 recruit overall in the 2020 class by 247Sports, verbally committed to Ohio State this past summer. Tuesday’s news that Meyer would retire after the Rose Bowl was surprising to Johnson’s mother, Monica Johnson.

“Today was totally unexpected,” Monica Johnson told WCPO. “It has been an overwhelming day for our family. "

Multiple Ohio State commits in the 2019 and 2020 classes took to social media to affirm their verbal commitments to the Buckeyes. But, Johnson's family was still processing the news as of early Tuesday afternoon.

"Obviously, Paris was disappointed by this news," St. Xavier coach Steve Specht said. "We spoke about the situation and discussed his options moving forward with recruiting."

Monica Johnson told WCPO that Paris has a very strong connection with Meyer.

“We are disappointed in this morning’s announcement; we are continuing to process the news,” Monica Johnson said.

Seider visited Miami commit Henry Gray. CB and #56 player overall in the composite

Reactions: TheGLOV
Sounds like 5 star, #8 overall OSU OT verbal Paris Johnson Jr. isn't going to be far behind.

Top-rated Ohio State commit Paris Johnson Jr. surprised by Urban Meyer retirement
Announcement 'unexpected' for St. X junior OT

SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP, Ohio – Urban Meyer’s retirement announcement Tuesday morning had a significant impact on St. Xavier junior offensive tackle Paris Johnson Jr.

Johnson, rated the nation’s No. 8 recruit overall in the 2020 class by 247Sports, verbally committed to Ohio State this past summer. Tuesday’s news that Meyer would retire after the Rose Bowl was surprising to Johnson’s mother, Monica Johnson.

“Today was totally unexpected,” Monica Johnson told WCPO. “It has been an overwhelming day for our family. "

Multiple Ohio State commits in the 2019 and 2020 classes took to social media to affirm their verbal commitments to the Buckeyes. But, Johnson's family was still processing the news as of early Tuesday afternoon.

"Obviously, Paris was disappointed by this news," St. Xavier coach Steve Specht said. "We spoke about the situation and discussed his options moving forward with recruiting."

Monica Johnson told WCPO that Paris has a very strong connection with Meyer.

“We are disappointed in this morning’s announcement; we are continuing to process the news,” Monica Johnson said.

Maybe he will join his father at Pitt??? lol....

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT