ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Phillies Thread

13-6 final and the Phillies go to .500 at 9-9

Some real positives:
  • Nola and Wheeler are high quality starters
  • Realmuto may be the best catcher in baseball, excellent defensively and hitting with power
  • Bryce Harper is playing like a superstar -- hitting, hitting with power, solid defensively, stealing bases, and all around hustling
  • Getting some offense from a number of players -- Gregorious, Bruce, Gosselin, rookie Bohm off to a good start

Reactions: WestSideLion
13-6 final and the Phillies go to .500 at 9-9

Some real positives:
  • Nola and Wheeler are high quality starters
  • Realmuto may be the best catcher in baseball, excellent defensively and hitting with power
  • Bryce Harper is playing like a superstar -- hitting, hitting with power, solid defensively, stealing bases, and all around hustling
  • Getting some offense from a number of players -- Gregorious, Bruce, Gosselin, rookie Bohm off to a good start
I was just talking about point 1 with my old man. That’s the best 1-2 combo they’ve had since Halladay and Lee left. If they get replacement level from Arrieta, they’re much improved from last year.

I love what Harper is doing. I wish he’d have a superstar season when they play 162 games. Oh well.

They need to put their analytics aside and sign Realmuto. This is absurd and they dealt Sixto for him. All downside now.

Reactions: royboy
Too bad about Kingery. He had a pretty severe COVID-19 reaction and he probably won't be back to 100% until next season.

That doubleheader was as bad as it gets. Only the Phils could blow a 7 run lead in a 7 inning game. Didi's error was inexcusable.

Winless in Buffalo. Sounds like a bad TV show.

My summer was going a lot better before baseball started. That was pathetic.

Maybe the Phillies can petition to play Little League rules and only play six innings.

Over the last 2 days, the Phillies acquired 3 new pitchers to bolster the bullpen.

Phillies manager Joe Girardi got a few more reliable options in his bullpen on Saturday. Right-handers Brandon Workman, Heath Hembree and David Hale were added to the Phillies’ 28-man roster before Saturday night’s game against the Braves at Truist Park in Atlanta. Philadelphia acquired Workman and Hembree on Friday night

Tonight, they wasted a 470-ft HR by Bryce Harper and a strong start by Zach Wheeler -- 7 innings, 5 hits, 2 runs, 8 strike-outs, left with a 4-2 lead.

Bullpen ERA now 8.33 after giving up 3 runs in the 8th and 1 in the 9th in a 6-5 loss.

https://www.mlb.com/phillies/news/phillies-bullpen-struggles-falls-to-braves-on-walk-off

Reactions: Relayer
Over the last 2 days, the Phillies acquired 3 new pitchers to bolster the bullpen.

Phillies manager Joe Girardi got a few more reliable options in his bullpen on Saturday. Right-handers Brandon Workman, Heath Hembree and David Hale were added to the Phillies’ 28-man roster before Saturday night’s game against the Braves at Truist Park in Atlanta. Philadelphia acquired Workman and Hembree on Friday night

Tonight, they wasted a 470-ft HR by Bryce Harper and a strong start by Zach Wheeler -- 7 innings, 5 hits, 2 runs, 8 strike-outs, left with a 4-2 lead.

Bullpen ERA now 8.33 after giving up 3 runs in the 8th and 1 in the 9th in a 6-5 loss.

https://www.mlb.com/phillies/news/phillies-bullpen-struggles-falls-to-braves-on-walk-off

Neris has totally lost it, the guy has always been a head case. Anyone see JT stare him down after a cross-up on a pitch? He was pissed.

I know they need pitching, but JT has to be signed. Letting him go will set this team back big time.

Neris has totally lost it, the guy has always been a head case. Anyone see JT stare him down after a cross-up on a pitch? He was pissed.

I know they need pitching, but JT has to be signed. Letting him go will set this team back big time.

agree - I really don’t understand their stance on JT

they went after him hard -gave up a lot of trade capital (at the time) - signed BH to billions - he has been awesome (best all around catcher in baseball) - and now, for some reason they are taking like cheapos when it comes to signing him

just sign him already !!!

Reactions: TheGLOV
Maybe he doesn't really want to sign with the Phillies, given the trainwreck this short season has been.

I do get that bit everything I’ve heard front the front office is “how the market has changed due to Covid” - and JT keeps saying “the best players will still get their paydays”

of course some of it is posturing but there is no way they should let him go

Reactions: TheGLOV
Good start by Arieta as he gave up 1 run on 3 hits thru 5 innnings up till a rain delay

5 Relievers gave up 1 earned run the rest of the way (Neris was the shakiest of the bunch) and Phils win 8-3

Reactions: Relayer
So Sixto Sanchez is mowing down the Rays thru 4. He's topped 100 mph and has 8 Ks. How much money is Realmuto's offer going up with every Sanchez pitch?

Last edited:
Frustrating game going to the 11th. Hoskins is so inconsistent. Why does Girardi insist on batting him second?

Reactions: royboy
So Sixto Sanchez is mowing down the Rays thru 4. He's topped 100 mph and has 8 Ks. How much money is Realmuto's offer going up with every Sanchez pitch?

That's how it goes when trading prospects. If Sanchez goes on to have a HOF career then in hindsight the Phils would have made a bad deal. A lot of young pitchers flame out after a couple of years so we'll have to wait and see. All the best to Sixto though.

OTOH, to get Halladay the Phils gave up Kyle Drabek and Travis D'Arnaud. Drabek was viewed as a surefire #1 starter and D'Arnaud was one of the more highly regarded catching prospects. Drabek later had Tommy John surgery and did very little at the major league level. D'Arnaud became a starter but was hampered by injuries as well. Some prospects live up to projections and some don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris92
Frustrating game going to the 11th. Hoskins is so inconsistent. Why does Girardi insist on batting him second?

He had a little league error at first as well that cost a run Although the error was charged to DiDi. He’s worthless.

He had a little league error at first as well that cost a run Although the error was charged to DiDi. He’s worthless.
Still have some hope for Hoskins, 2 years with Kapler destroyed Hoskins. Upper cut, launch angle, take the first pitch, strike outs don't matter. Closely watch Hoskins and his swing has changed, more level, hitting on top of the ball, fewer homers, more line drives. Took the new coaching staff to do this. Also, will swing at the first pitch.

Ha...a .121 hitter with 2 outs and an 0-2 count and he smashes a HR!

This team can be so frustrating to watch, but they are making progress, I think.

Had the pleasure of watching that walk-off HR on the Braves network.
Must have been fun, I get to watch Phillies on MLB extra innings, a subscription service. In past years I got opposition announcers 1/2 the time. This year changed, seems each team has its own channel; i have been getting Phils announcers for each game.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Good to see Eflin and Rhys step up today. Workman is still shaky, but got the job done.

Good to see Eflin and Rhys step up today. Workman is still shaky, but got the job done.
Neris seems to be getting comfortable in the setup role.

Workman makes me nervous, too, but that curve ball that drops straight down is a nasty pitch, esp. against guys who are swinging for the fences.

Ozuna barely missed one of several too high in the strikezone curves that would have tied the game but....he did miss it enough.

five in a row is nice

The Phillies are certainly trying to address the bullpen issues.

According to this summary of teams after the trade deadline, they have made some positive moves.

4. Phillies
Acquired:
RHPs Brandon Workman, Heath Hembree, David Phelps and David Hale

Bottom line: General manager Matt Klentak put the finishing touch on a nice bullpen rebuild by getting Phelps from the Brewers on Monday. Manager Joe Girardi -- who managed Phelps on the Yankees -- suddenly has quality options at the end of games as his club competes for a playoff berth.

https://www.mlb.com/phillies/news/mlb-2020-trade-deadline-winners

ADVERTISEMENT