ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Transfer Portal Thread

He's a better qb right now. So if he comes here then he will eventually play.

Finley Career Stats

STATS

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

Clifford Career Stats
STATS

I'd love to have what you are smoking!

Finley Career Stats

STATS

Clifford Career Stats
STATS

Everyone is better than Clifford to most on this board.

Finley Career Stats

STATS

Clifford Career Stats
STATS

Let's find out this season if Franklin gets him.

Let's find out this season if Franklin gets him.

Find out what?

The statistics don't lie. If Franklin does convince this transfer to come to PSU it will be to back up Clifford. And the LSU QB has said he wants to go somewhere to be the starting QB. So that says he is not likely coming to PSU.

Just another case of the grass is always greener on the other side.....

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: marshall23
Find out what?

The statistics don't lie. If Franklin does convince this transfer to come to PSU it will be to back up Clifford. And the LSU QB has said he wants to go somewhere to be the starting QB. So that says he is not likely coming to PSU.

But if you read the article his other two top choices are Auburn and Texas and he would have to beat out someone at those schools too. Probably has just as much chance at starting here as those other two schools.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Find out what?

Funny, seems there's a lot of that going around here.

Find out what?

We need a QB to run on short yardage situations. 😉

Apparently the Sean Clifford that completely mishandled the offense in an all Time record breaking 0-5 start, never happened? Amazing

It's possible Finley would be better than Clifford. It's possible Clifford would be better than Finley.

Either way, adding depth is always a good thing. Adding competition is always a good thing. Whether fans think he'd beat out Clifford or not, adding Finley gives us another option. Maybe he'd beat out Clifford. Maybe he wouldn't. Fans can make absolutist statements all day long, but only the coaches get to decide.

He'd be a good addition.

If he's looking to start right away, Texas probably makes more sense than Auburn or PSU.

It's possible Finley would be better than Clifford. It's possible Clifford would be better than Finley.

Either way, adding depth is always a good thing. Adding competition is always a good thing. Whether fans think he'd beat out Clifford or not, adding Finley gives us another option. Maybe he'd beat out Clifford. Maybe he wouldn't. Fans can make absolutist statements all day long, but only the coaches get to decide.

He'd be a good addition.
Thank you Sir! Common sense, refreshing!

Reactions: NittanyIllinois
Thank you Sir! Common sense, refreshing!
Nope, calling BS on you man. You are moving goal posts. You were claiming he would beat Clifford out hands down.

Several of us said depth would be good, we were just calling out you out on your specific claim. You don’t get to change your tune now dude.

Reactions: marshall23

He'd be a good addition.

If he's looking to start right away, Texas probably makes more sense than Auburn or PSU.
Seems he likes Auburn, but Bo Nix is two year starter and with extra year is a sophomore, but likely 2 more years as a starter.

Texas has two former 4 stars battling it out. A Junior and redshirt freshman. According to 247, both recruited as dual QBs and Finley seems to be more Pro. Not sure what direction Sark wants to go in.

Clifford is a senior and have to think he wouldn't be back for a 6th year. Wide open next year and Yurcich favors a Pro QB.

If it is about opportunity to play and compete, Penn State looks the best option, but Auburn is in the SEC.

He'd be a good addition.

Not Texas. They have two QBs battling it out who are better than Finley.

If he goes to Texas. Would be interesting if one of Texas qbs transfers to psu to connect yurcich again.
I do know that Casey Thompson was recruited by PSU while in HS in OKLAHOMA. Nice young. Had the pleasure to meet him in OKC when he was still in HS.

Reactions: grinagrin
I’m not advocating for Finley, but even if we get Clifford from 2019 this team won’t accomplish much. That 2019 team should’ve been in the playoffs if it wasn’t for sub par QB play. The 11 wins were great but I think it slightly blinds people from remembering how bad Clifford looked at times I.e. Pitt, Minny, OSU, Memphis.

QB is arguably the worst position on the team, we need to add another piece there. We’re heading into year 5 of Clifford in the program, he is what he is at this point.

I’m not advocating for Finley, but even if we get Clifford from 2019 this team won’t accomplish much. That 2019 team should’ve been in the playoffs if it wasn’t for sub par QB play. The 11 wins were great but I think it slightly blinds people from remembering how bad Clifford looked at times I.e. Pitt, Minny, OSU, Memphis.

QB is arguably the worst position on the team, we need to add another piece there. We’re heading into year 5 of Clifford in the program, he is what he is at this point.
I agree that clifford has never been able to really put it together for an entire season, or multiple games, etc. I think a lot of people in the program deserve some responsibility for that though, they have changed his OC's every year and they have been hell bent on him running an offense he really isn't designed to quarterback. Sure, he is athletic and can run, but I remember being concerned with all the talk in spring the last few years about Cliff "being faster than people think" and getting his 40 time lower. I just don't think its who he is and I think the one read and take off or jailbreak offense has limited him in terms of a passer. People also forget Trace was wild in the first half of a lot of games his junior and senior years. He certainly had games I thought he played poorly and cost us. USC first half, Michigan state in '17 come to mind. And people forget the senior year because Trace was so "gutty," but without NFL recievers, TE's and Barkley, Trace was a middling at best Big Ten QB. Look at his stats senior year:

I think clifford needs direction, and I haven't been confident in Rahne, KC, and Franklin really. No doubt, can't keep turning the ball over and playing "hero" ball out there. Also, mechanically, needs to step into throws and stop missing easy 5 yard routes high. He does get to keyed up to start games, etc. That said, if MY can keep him in the pocket, eyes downfield, and clifford can complete some easy throws early, I think he can be a really high ceiling QB. Just my $.02

So even if MY can improve on the 11-2 Clifford that won’t accomplish anything? Ok, if you say so. 🙄

I don't know about "won't accomplish much" -- depends on whether you think a 9-3 or 10-2 type of season is "much".

But you raise a valid point that even in that 2019 season, he was really poor in several games against good teams/defenses. He had a QB rating on the season of roughly 150. Not too bad. But consider these game ratings:

OSU: 93.9
Iowa: 104.7
Pitt: 108.8
Minnesota: 113.6
Memphis: 117.4

He had ratings of 190+ against Idaho, Buffalo, and Maryland. To his credit, he played really well against Michigan -- but that was really the only strong performance against a legit team.

QB position needs to improve dramatically for us to be able to challenge Ohio State and a CFP bid. 11-2 is a really good season. But there's a large gap between 11-2 playing Memphis in the Cotton Bowl and being a CFP team.

Personally, I think we'll see a better Sean Clifford this year. To be determined whether it's enough to get over the hump. Lots of other question marks around the roster.

Finley Career Stats

STATS

Clifford Career Stats
STATS

Finley played against SEC defenses, Clifford packed his stats vs Idaho.

Finley played against SEC defenses, Clifford packed his stats vs Idaho.

You might want to check the stats. Idaho wasn't even Clifford's best game. Finley had a respectable passer rating against Arkansas and a very good rating against South Carolina, the 10th and 11th ranking passing defenses in the conference respectively. It was those games where Finley packed his stats; the other three games were not pretty.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
I believe the 2019 Clifford will show up if he is taught to go fully through his progressions and not bail out after one read. Hopefully CJF has been convinced by MY that Clifford should not be a run first QB.

'19 Clifford had a good running game (Journey), an NFL WR who could scorch the top of a defense (KJ), and a healthy, eventual NFL TE (Pat F). We actually have the opportunity to double these things this year (Dotson, Washington at WR; Cain, Lee at RB; Strange, Johnson at TE), but he has to trust them all and utilize them.

I don't agree with your assessment about the QB position, especially in comparison to the oline's of the past couple years. QB's look much better when they get time, have a dependable running game,...

How did our running game do against those teams? For sure there was a good bit more pressure on the QB in those games. And Clifford was a first year starter as well.

A returning, experienced QB has always been a big advantage for PSU, and is pretty much a big advantage across college football, excluding just a couple of teams that seem to have 4/5 star future star QB's consistently waiting in the wings.

I would single out the OL as the weakest position on offense the last few years, going back to Barkley's days at PSU. We had a generational RB that had more negative yardage running plays than what I remember PSU having going back to the 1960's.

Field an OL that can run the ball against oh-high-ya, Iowa, and UM and our QB will look much better......

Reactions: ram2020
Another article on the offer to the big (6'6", 325lb DT) FCS DL player recently offered by PSU. Among his many talents, he was on the Illinois State bass fishing team as a freshman. Does PSU have a fishing team ......? o_O

Yes they do. Also, Penn State has a great fly fishing class. legendary

Reactions: TheGLOV and 81b&w
I don't agree with your assessment about the QB position, especially in comparison to the oline's of the past couple years. QB's look much better when they get time, have a dependable running game,...

How did our running game do against those teams? For sure there was a good bit more pressure on the QB in those games. And Clifford was a first year starter as well.

A returning, experienced QB has always been a big advantage for PSU, and is pretty much a big advantage across college football, excluding just a couple of teams that seem to have 4/5 star future star QB's consistently waiting in the wings.

I would single out the OL as the weakest position on offense the last few years, going back to Barkley's days at PSU. We had a generational RB that had more negative yardage running plays than what I remember PSU having going back to the 1960's.

Field an OL that can run the ball against oh-high-ya, Iowa, and UM and our QB will look much better......
Every spring psu fields an awesome offensive line lol....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT