ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Transfer Portal Thread

You bring this guy in as a grad transfer and there is chance Clifford might leave. I would think Franklin would bring in some younger with more years of eligibility.

You bring this guy in as a grad transfer and there is chance Clifford might leave. I would think Franklin would bring in some younger with more years of eligibility.
Bowman has 3 years of eligibility

We need to bring in players who make the team better, don’t care if they ate freshman or seniors. And if Clifford doesn’t like that, good luck and take care

Reactions: Ranger Dan
g
Bowman has 3 years of eligibility

We need to bring in players who make the team better, don’t care if they ate freshman or seniors. And if Clifford doesn’t like that, good luck and take care
Good luck running a team with that attitude.

WR TJ Jones in the Portal....

We hardly knew ya.....

But with the big numbers at WR and the incoming three 2021 WR's as well as the early 3 talented WR's in the 2022 class already it seems if the 2018 and 2019 WR's have not earned playing time yet they likely will have a tough road climbing the depth chart going forward.

Maybe Franklin can turn this scholarship into an experienced DE!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: LMTLION
Another article on the Texas Tech QB that entered the portal.

I'll defer to the coaching staff to determine if Bowman is worth upsetting the apple cart. Clifford has a better % rating, yards per completion and touchdown to interception ratio. Bowman does have a higher completion %. To my untrained eye, I can't see where he offers anything that might be an improvement over what we have.
Early in the season, I would not have been surprised if another QB was in the mix. I'm thinking now that it would have to be someone with a track record, or an upside that is clearly above what Cliff brings. If he should be PSU bound, I will trust that after careful consideration, HCJF and OCMY see something that stats don't reflect.
One must admit that the rank and file here like nothing better than coaches who have not coached here yet (partly because that means a coach here got fired) and players (quarterbacks especially) who have not played here.

Reactions: 81b&w
Another article on the Texas Tech QB that entered the portal.

There is a PA/PSU connection here...

pretty sure Bowman’s grandfather was an all-state football player for little ol’ Williamstown High (now Williams Valley High School) on the west end of Schuylkill County

also fairly certain that both the grandfather and father of Bowman played at PSU

[edit] here are two articles:

Last edited:

We hardly knew ya.....

But with the big numbers at WR and the incoming three 2021 WR's as well as the early 3 talented WR's in the 2022 class already it seems if the 2018 and 2019 WR's have not earned playing time yet they likely will have a tough road climbing the depth chart going forward.

Rambo would be a great add at WR if we can get him.

We hardly knew ya.....

Next!

Reactions: TheGLOV
If a player enters the portal on Friday and announces he is transferring to a new school on Saturday, he must have been talking to the new school for some period of time. I guess this is ok but it seems to me
that certain schools will actively recruit other teams players which doesn't seem right (ethical) to me.
OK just pulled a star Tenn OL player, I believe???

If a player enters the portal on Friday and announces he is transferring to a new school on Saturday, he must have been talking to the new school for some period of time. I guess this is ok but it seems to me
that certain schools will actively recruit other teams players which doesn't seem right (ethical) to me.

I believe another team can not contact a player until that player puts his name in the Portal. But it may be that the player can contact coaches from other teams before the player puts his name in the Portal officially.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bison13
Who recruited washington and Dotson?

Does your point apply to all Joe's busts? There are many.

why do people get so bent out of shape on a message board? Look, for years we have been clamoring over the recruiting chops of Seider. And if you break it down he isn’t even the best recruiter on staff.

I think you are correct and this is part of the game now. And while they may not by the rules be able to contact players, I could see coaches after games telling opposing players how they wished that they had their talent to mold. Remember like 2 years ago when Ohio St basically took a Rutgers team captain for their Oline? Whose to say teams aren't scouting opposing players and dropping hints for them to make the move?

I think you are correct and this is part of the game now. And while they may not by the rules be able to contact players, I could see coaches after games telling opposing players how they wished that they had their talent to mold. Remember like 2 years ago when Ohio St basically took a Rutgers team captain for their Oline? Whose to say teams aren't scouting opposing players and dropping hints for them to make the move?
No one is saying that. It happens in high school. If a player is happy where he's at, it goes in one ear and out the other. Some things can't be enforced. Some coaches have integrity and some don't. I venture to say that could be said about any profession. Hell, I recall watching a game tape in preparation for a game in 1983, and one of my assistant coaches made a comment about a linebacker and how he moved. His exact words were "he moves like he's got some kind of chemical imbalance." Years later I found out that several players at that school were using steroids. Happy to say, we never lost to that coach.

Reactions: TheGLOV
why do people get so bent out of shape on a message board? Look, for years we have been clamoring over the recruiting chops of Seider. And if you break it down he isn’t even the best recruiter on staff.
Bet he still out recruits anything Galen Hall did. Seider at least hits the road to recruit (when Covid doesn’t come into play).

OL

I believe another team can not contact a player until that player puts his name in the Portal. But it may be that the player can contact coaches from other teams before the player puts his name in the Portal officially.

Yes and sort of. You are correct that a school cannot contact a player until his name is in the portal. However, a player can contact a school once he receives his release (to transfer) from his current school. The current school is responsible for entering the player's name into the portal so there may be a lag, designed or otherwise, between the release and portal entry dates. That could explain the situation described and it is perfectly aboveboard.

Nothing in the rules that prevents a college coaching staff from talking to a high school coach at any point in time. Nothing in the rules that prevents a high school coach from talking to one of his former players at any point in time.

Ok, who is?

It would seem that for another position coach to be a better recruiter than Seider that coach would also to at least to have brought in every recruit at his coaching position as consensus 4 star rated over the last 3 years or so. And there is not another position where that is the case.

Stubblefield may give him competition going forward though.... And I also look for Trautwein to up the average OL recruit rating going forward.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT