ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Transfer Portal Thread

I like the fact we have made good additions in the transfer portal but the volume of kids leaving schools big like clemson or ok and small like temple is disconcerting for the sport. How do you build depth without pissing off the backups and their parents?

If their kids are not stars many parents are pissed off either way.

Any chance too many transfers screws up the chemistry?

Remember when the Eagles had their dream team?

Anyone else notice that Jack Coan is going from Wisconsin to ND? Without looking at the ND QB depth chart this seems a little strange. Book is likely done at ND, but Kelly seems to like mobile, running QB's and the ND roster has a few highly recruited QB's and will add a top dual threat QB with the 2021 class.

Anyone else notice that Jack Coan is going from Wisconsin to ND? Without looking at the ND QB depth chart this seems a little strange. Book is likely done at ND, but Kelly seems to like mobile, running QB's and the ND roster has a few highly recruited QB's and will add a top dual threat QB with the 2021 class.

Book was labeled a game manager quite a bit. Coan has essentially been a that at Wisconsin. I don't think it bodes well for trying to win a playoff game, but maybe Coan can do more in a different system.

We wanted him out of HS pretty bad. Wasn't he a legacy or some connection?
He's from California but I believe both parents when to Penn State. We were in on his recruitment but I think he was pretty high on UCLA too. May be tough to have him move even further east rather than getting back closer to home.

edit: ^regarding Lamb

He's from California but I believe both parents when to Penn State. We were in on his recruitment but I think he was pretty high on UCLA too. May be tough to have him move even further east rather than getting back closer to home.

how can you not have Jack Lamb not want to play LB and be announced by Jack Ham?

The one article mentions him as being the most talented guy to portal so far... 20 tackles in 11 games over two years? Sounds like ND is cutting the fat.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Book was labeled a game manager quite a bit. Coan has essentially been a that at Wisconsin. I don't think it bodes well for trying to win a playoff game, but maybe Coan can do more in a different system.

With the QB talent on the ND roster including the incoming freshman it doesn't seem like a given that Coan will even start at ND. Wonder if Kelly had to promise Coan he would start, or if the mystique of ND was just too much to pass up..... o_O o_O o_O

With the QB talent on the ND roster including the incoming freshman it doesn't seem like a given that Coan will even start at ND. Wonder if Kelly had to promise Coan he would start, or if the mystique of ND was just too much to pass up..... o_O o_O o_O

It's a bit strange. Doesn't seem like ND is all that excited about Clark and Pyne. Buchner is going to be a true freshman. I don't know that Coan was promised anything, but he does have starting experience (18 games) and could be a good transition post-IB.

Reactions: GregInPitt
It's a bit strange. Doesn't seem like ND is all that excited about Clark and Pyne. Buchner is going to be a true freshman. I don't know that Coan was promised anything, but he does have starting experience (18 games) and could be a good transition post-IB.

I think the overall feeling from ND fans is that they have several very good young QBs but they are not ready to start. Buchner’s team didn’t play last year due to Covid. Coan brings a proven track record and veteran leadership.

I would imagine all of these older players with only 1-2 years left would make a lot of demands regarding starting or playing time before agreeing to transfer somewhere. There are probably elements of that for recruiting but I'd bet it's worse among the older players with less time to showcase themselves. I don't envy the coaches that have to deal with this stuff.

Pyne has attempted 3 passes in his career and Clark has attempted 5. There is talent everywhere that is worth playing at, but that is just about as good as an opportunity to walk into as a transfer could find

#1 and 2 nose tackles graduate.....just sayin.....a different style to see if he can obtain some NFL looks....advice must not have been very good at the end of this year.

Out of all the places I would have predicted Shelton to go, anywhere in the SouthEast would be about last. Thought he would head to Cali or Oregon or something.

Keeping a current team senior for another year does not count against the ongoing 85 scholarship limit, but don't any Portal pickups count?

Wonder if CJF really has any additional Portal spots open. Anyone examine the scholarship chart lately?

Last edited:
Anyone know much about him, potential starter? Solid depth talent?
Nothing is a given. The coaching staff isn't signing graduate transfers to be developmental players. Therefore, it stands to reason they project him as a potential starter or at the least quality experienced depth at a position of need.

Nothing is a given. The coaching staff isn't signing graduate transfers to be developmental players. Therefore, it stands to reason they project him as a potential starter or at the least quality experienced depth at a position of need.
I was reading the Auburn thread on him and they thought he was a sure fire starter for them. They also thought he was headed to LSU.

Hearing a crystal ball has gone to PSU for the OG from Harvard. I think his name is Wilson.

Just looked Wilson up in the 247 transfer portal tracker and it shows him being committed to Auburn. Is that inaccurate?

And the 247 profile shows him as having transferred to Auburn.

Just looked Wilson up in the 247 transfer portal tracker and it shows him being committed to Auburn. Is that inaccurate?

And the 247 profile shows him as having transferred to Auburn.

Dated. Withdrew his commitment when Malzahn and Bicknell were canned.

Agreed and the those thoughts aren't mutually exclusive. The over-rated HS recruit doesn't know that he's over-rated. Probably 90% of them feel that they are under-rated.

But there are also Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray talents that were sitting on the benches at these schools until they decided to go somewhere where the depth chart said that they had a real shot to play. I don't think any NFL scout would say those kids were over-rated HS recruits. They just didn't do their homework in choosing a school with a depth chart that meant that they weren't going to get the opportunity that they wanted. The elite talents sitting behind other elite talents at QB is a bit more pronounced because there is only 1 QB that typically gets the majority of the snaps but it is happening at other positions as well.

And you are correct, not all of the top 4 and 5 star kids that transfer will pan out with a less crowded depth chart at a new school like the examples that I provided. But a reasonable % will and just didn't do their homework when selecting a school out of HS.

For example, Ohio St has like 8 top 100 overall WRs committed in the 2020 and 2021 classes including both classes #1 WR and the #2 overall 5 star WR in the 2022 class already. Some of those kids are extremely talented and not over-rated but will never be the man at Ohio St. One is already in the portal after one season but he won't be the only one. Meanwhile, Penn St had 2 true freshmen WRs rated significantly below every all 9 of those Ohio St WRs that I mentioned that started as true freshmen with Washington making some freshmen All-American teams and lists of most impactful freshmen. Washington did his homework, was probably under-rated, and went to a big time program with a depth chart that was screaming for immediate playing time. The 8 top 100 WRs I mentioned committed to Ohio St barely saw the field and only did in one game when like 20 some kids were out with COVID. They did not do their homework.
Good post. Only thing I’d add is they did do their homework and wanted to compete at the elite level, know if/when they do crack lineup basically are guaranteed success that translates to the NFL and have a great chance to be in the playoff. This is what they are sold by ace recruiters at these schools. Further, it’s hard to turn down a big bag of cash.

Regarding PSU, only Godwin and Dotson this year have really produced on the outside. With Rahne, it was like outside WRs were simply decoys. If KC did one thing right, at least we finally had a presence and production from an outside WR. I expect that to continue to improve under Yurcich.

ADVERTISEMENT