ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Transfer Portal Thread

It seems that everybody expects some sort of rule change to affect this for sure. I don't have a clue how grad transfers will count. We also have a lower division WR coming in January, unless that has changed.

If it's free for all, absolutely! Take him no doubt. If you have 1 spot left, I'm probably leaning towards safety, but a bigger DE could create more pressure and alleviate some secondary concerns.

Unless Brisker decides to come back. His committing to the Senior Bowl does not totally close the door for him returning to PSU. And I believe Brisker would be the best thing that could happen for the PSU 2021 Defense going forward.

@GregInPitt his production is definitely an improvement. I'd like to sign him.

Brisker returning would be huge. Probably the most improved player from week 1-9, outside competition from Clifford. Have to trust the staff, they know the numbers. Outside perspective, if a good safety is available, I think they would be hard to pass up if you have one spot left. That's all.

@GregInPitt his production is definitely an improvement. I'd like to sign him.

Brisker returning would be huge. Probably the most improved player from week 1-9, outside competition from Clifford. Have to trust the staff, they know the numbers. Outside perspective, if a good safety is available, I think they would be hard to pass up if you have one spot left. That's all.

I agree that CJF will take a portal Safety if one is out there that fits at PSU. But without Brisker (and Wade, to a lesser degree) the only Safety I saw this season with potential to start and be a top player in 2021 is Brown, the JC transfer. I may be discounting Sutherland, but I just don't see him as a potential big time player, and neither Rudolph (RS-FR) or Jennings (FR) could get playing time this season. So to have a 2 deep it would be great to have Brisker, Brown, Sutherland and a portal player. And then Rudolph, Jennings and the 2021 S recruits continue to develop for 2022+....

Think it was Art who mentioned it originally, but I think 25/year is the bigger issue vs 85.

Boosters?

That was just hypothetical. The 25 limit isn't a problem unless we're talking about, say, a dozen or more incoming transfers. It could have ramifications down the road, though, possibly limiting PSU's ability to bring in larger classes..

There is still a limit of 85; it's just that those in their final year of eligibility don't count toward it. Believe that applies to incoming transfers as well as returning squad members.

Had 5 sacks this season in 7 games. That's 5 more than Oweh had in 9 games, and just as many as Toney had in 9 games.

Looking at it another way, Carney had as many sacks in 7 games as the total of both of PSU's starting DE's had in 9 games.

Would this make him an improvement over our starting DE's from 2020???
Yeah, for all of his physicality, Oweh remains something of a project.
I didn’t notice any dropoff when he was out of the lineup.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Assuming we’re done with xfers?

Haven’t heard anything.

Assuming we’re done with xfers?

Haven’t heard anything.

that's not how it works (i.e., PSU or the potential transfers talk a great deal about what they are discussing). Transfers can be tricky.

PSU is still evaluating and/or having discussions with potential transfers. Only time will tell whether that leads to anything.

And the positions that CJF said would be addressed by PSU being very active in the transfer/Portal activity have not been all addressed yet. i.e. Safety. With DE still being somewhat short on depth as well.

As has been stated, there is likely lots of "activity" that has been going on, and that will continue to go on. Whether or not it leads to 1 or more additional Portal pickups is yet to be determined.

Just as the final tally for the 2021 recruiting class is yet to be determined, which could have some impact on Portal activity from a numbers perspective.

When in doubt, quote that famous scholar Yogi Berra. It's not over till it's over....

Last edited:
that's not how it works (i.e., PSU or the potential transfers talk a great deal about what they are discussing). Transfers can be tricky.

PSU is still evaluating and/or having discussions with potential transfers. Only time will tell whether that leads to anything.

And a transfer can happen on any given day...this week, next week, or a couple of months from now. If the Penn State Football Team wants to compete for a title, then the coaching staff needs to be in a position to have conversations with any transfer who could help our team.

On the flip side, we don't know if a Penn State Football player(s) is going to transfer out of the program this week, next week, or a couple of months from now.

Transfer portal =
fivebelowgif.gif

I tried to look this kid up in the 247 transfer portal summary, but he doesn't seem to be in there yet.

But being a PSU position of need, it's good news when Safety's enter the Portal!! ;)

Edit: Found Houston Griffith.

2018 class. Should have 2 years of eligibility remaining.
6'1" 192lbs coming out of H.S.
247 composite of 0.9651

With a PSU offer out of H.S., recruited (leads) at that time by Tim Banks and Josh Gattis.

Also noticed another Safety in the Portal from ND who PSU offered coming out of H.S.
Isaiah Robertson
Robertson was in 2017 class, #6 player in Illinois and #24 Safety, so he might only have 1 year of eligibility remaining.

Last edited:
What do we know about him? Starter, spot duty?
Per Irish Illustrated, "This decision comes as somewhat of a surprise to those at Irish Illustrated, as he was expected to push for a starting job next season at Notre Dame."

Apparently he was a contender to start for them at safety this year, but got covid in the offseason and missed some time. He had only been moved to safety earlier this year, so getting covid in the offseason put him behind the development 8-ball. He was their first team safety in their only spring practice before things shut down.

Did he play much @ ND? What is his class standing?
I see his class standing elsewhere in this thread, but not his playing experience.
You have to wonder why? Was he not targeted much this year? Certainly has been productive.
Played in a bunch of games last 2 years backing up Shaun Crawford. Was expected to start next year according to upset Irish fans on twitter who don't understand what went wrong.

Rambo would be a solid add. Are we in on him?

Safety prospect is interesting.

I like the fact we have made good additions in the transfer portal but the volume of kids leaving schools big like clemson or ok and small like temple is disconcerting for the sport. How do you build depth without pissing off the backups and their parents?

There will also be transfers after the Spring semester. Players will continue to assess this rare opportunity to transfer and play immediately.
Rare opportunity? This has been in the works long before the pandemic hit.

Griffith would be a great add for us at a needed position if he's a possibility. I remember discussing his recruitment on here coming out of HS

Reactions: GregInPitt
I like the fact we have made good additions in the transfer portal but the volume of kids leaving schools big like clemson or ok and small like temple is disconcerting for the sport. How do you build depth without pissing off the backups and their parents?
There are a few schools now whose entire class year after year is almost all 4 and 5 stars. These kids choosing Alabama, Ohio St, Georgia, etc. all think they are going to start and probably early when in reality a small % do. They simply aren't doing their homework because it results in a higher % of them not reaching their NFL goals. While they are sitting the bench for a few years some smarter 4 star who is more of an independent thinker has already gotten a couple of years of game reps into their development.

Now some of those 4 and 5 star lemmings who all think they will start early for the same 3 or 4 schools actually can go into free agency when they realize that they made a poor initial choice. That's what's happening in many cases.

Reactions: LMTLION and DavidM
There are a few schools now whose entire class year after year is almost all 4 and 5 stars. These kids choosing Alabama, Ohio St, Georgia, etc. all think they are going to start and probably early when in reality a small % do. They simply aren't doing their homework because it results in a higher % of them not reaching their NFL goals. While they are sitting the bench for a few years some smarter 4 star who is more of an independent thinker has already gotten a couple of years of game reps into their development.

Now some of those 4 and 5 star lemmings who all think they will start early for the same 3 or 4 schools actually can go into free agency when they realize that they made a poor initial choice. That's what's happening in many cases.
Good points. In your opinion will this help us patch over recent subpar recruiting classes?

Or maybe reality bites and they were overrated coming out of HS. It happens, you know.

Regardless of stars, the risks of taking a transfer who has actually played versus someone who has been nothing more than bench ballast for a couple of years are different.

Or maybe reality bites and they were overrated coming out of HS. It happens, you know.

Regardless of stars, the risks of taking a transfer who has actually played versus someone who has been nothing more than bench ballast for a couple of years are different.
Agreed and the those thoughts aren't mutually exclusive. The over-rated HS recruit doesn't know that he's over-rated. Probably 90% of them feel that they are under-rated.

But there are also Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray talents that were sitting on the benches at these schools until they decided to go somewhere where the depth chart said that they had a real shot to play. I don't think any NFL scout would say those kids were over-rated HS recruits. They just didn't do their homework in choosing a school with a depth chart that meant that they weren't going to get the opportunity that they wanted. The elite talents sitting behind other elite talents at QB is a bit more pronounced because there is only 1 QB that typically gets the majority of the snaps but it is happening at other positions as well.

And you are correct, not all of the top 4 and 5 star kids that transfer will pan out with a less crowded depth chart at a new school like the examples that I provided. But a reasonable % will and just didn't do their homework when selecting a school out of HS.

For example, Ohio St has like 8 top 100 overall WRs committed in the 2020 and 2021 classes including both classes #1 WR and the #2 overall 5 star WR in the 2022 class already. Some of those kids are extremely talented and not over-rated but will never be the man at Ohio St. One is already in the portal after one season but he won't be the only one. Meanwhile, Penn St had 2 true freshmen WRs rated significantly below every all 9 of those Ohio St WRs that I mentioned that started as true freshmen with Washington making some freshmen All-American teams and lists of most impactful freshmen. Washington did his homework, was probably under-rated, and went to a big time program with a depth chart that was screaming for immediate playing time. The 8 top 100 WRs I mentioned committed to Ohio St barely saw the field and only did in one game when like 20 some kids were out with COVID. They did not do their homework.

Agreed and the those thoughts aren't mutually exclusive. The over-rated HS recruit doesn't know that he's over-rated. Probably 90% of them feel that they are under-rated.

But there are also Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray talents that were sitting on the benches at these schools until they decided to go somewhere where the depth chart said that they had a real shot to play. I don't think any NFL scout would say those kids were over-rated HS recruits. They just didn't do their homework in choosing a school with a depth chart that meant that they weren't going to get the opportunity that they wanted. The elite talents sitting behind other elite talents at QB is a bit more pronounced because there is only 1 QB that typically gets the majority of the snaps but it is happening at other positions as well.

And you are correct, not all of the top 4 and 5 star kids that transfer will pan out with a less crowded depth chart at a new school like the examples that I provided. But a reasonable % will and just didn't do their homework when selecting a school out of HS.

For example, Ohio St has like 8 top 100 overall WRs committed in the 2020 and 2021 classes including both classes #1 WR and the #2 overall 5 star WR in the 2022 class already. Some of those kids are extremely talented and not over-rated but will never be the man at Ohio St. One is already in the portal after one season but he won't be the only one. Meanwhile, Penn St had 2 true freshmen WRs rated significantly below every all 9 of those Ohio St WRs that I mentioned that started as true freshmen with Washington making some freshmen All-American teams and lists of most impactful freshmen. Washington did his homework, was probably under-rated, and went to a big time program with a depth chart that was screaming for immediate playing time. The 8 top 100 WRs I mentioned committed to Ohio St barely saw the field and only did in one game when like 20 some kids were out with COVID. They did not do their homework.

What happens if PSU becomes an elite program with NFL-caliber talent stockpiled at every position? Are you going to counsel top prospects to avoid Happy Valley like the plague?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT