ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Student Lease Issues

scpsu76

Nov 7, 2011
Given the uncertainty behind student off campus housing issues, I thought some of you might want to know that I am representing several students in suits brought by landlords alleging default of leases for failure to pay rent since March when the university effectively closed down.

Leases typically contain what are called force majeure (act of God) clauses which, depending on the language utilized in the Landlord lease, can be one of several arguments that can be made to either terminate or lessen the financial obligations of tenants.

If your student is seeking to modify his or her living arrangements for the upcoming school year and would be interested in pursuing such a claim, my fee would be 12% of the annual rent, paid up front and non refundable if e are not successful. Chances of success will vary based on the language of the lease and the positions taken by magisterial judges.

I can be contacted at 814 954 4216. Full disclosure, this is a legal advertisement.

Good luck. I am interested to see how all of this plays out with regard to landlords. It's a tough situation for all involved (including you as the attorney).

Of course 12% is about a third of the normal contingency fee. How's the view from the ivory tower you live in?

Reactions: bison13 and PS4814
Okay Lafayette Bear and other J.D.s , let's begin the bid down. Anyone at 11% ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT