ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Sixers Thread

Is anyone actually shocked by this?

No. It makes sense. I had read earlier that the Sixers had arranged that a shooting coach be made available for off-season work but Simmons blew him off to work with his stepbrother. "Always with family and constantly babied" sounds about right.

No. It makes sense. I had read earlier that the Sixers had arranged that a shooting coach be made available for off-season work but Simmons blew him off to work with his stepbrother. "Always with family and constantly babied" sounds about right.
I think it’s accurate to say that Simmons has never been a worker. Even at LSU, there were many reports that he wasn’t invested. Nothing in Philly in the 6 years since disproves that.

I think it’s accurate to say that Simmons has never been a worker. Even at LSU, there were many reports that he wasn’t invested. Nothing in Philly in the 6 years since disproves that.
Plus his mystery illnesses don’t speak well of the man. I will speculate that he is too much of a party boy between games and tends to abuse his body with alcohol or party drugs for which he later plays the mystery illness card while recovering from being hungover, or worse yet, not. He may be putting his money, his clothing, his women, his party lifestyle before his basketball work to cure his shooting performance. Again this is unfounded speculation and I hope I’m totally off on this statement.

Plus his mystery illnesses don’t speak well of the man. I will speculate that he is too much of a party boy between games and tends to abuse his body with alcohol or party drugs for which he later plays the mystery illness card while recovering from being hungover, or worse yet, not. He may be putting his money, his clothing, his women, his party lifestyle before his basketball work to cure his shooting performance. Again this is unfounded speculation and I hope I’m totally off on this statement.
26 is no longer young when you’re going into season #7. He is what he is at this point. Philly needs to move on. I bet Morey knows that and what he’s saying is just posturing.

One other thing has really bothered me about Simmons. (I’m not a Sixers fan but loved Ben’s potential and thought he could be another Scottie Pippin, who I consider to be one of the top ten players ever.) One game he hit a 3 and after the game Brown said that he’d like to see Simmons take at least ONE three a game. After that, Simmons simply stopped shooting threes. Make of that what you will.

I just heard the 6ers are shopping simmons and have approached the Cavs about one of our two young guards or Okoro (SF). the Cavs offered a second-round pick.

I just heard the 6ers are shopping simmons and have approached the Cavs about one of our two young guards or Okoro (SF). the Cavs offered a second-round second round pick???
A second round pick for Ben Simmons??

E748-BA6-D-D6-FB-4156-9909-68-D2224346-D7.gif

Reactions: Obliviax
This might hurt more than the Sixers getting bounced by the Hawks. I loved listening to Marc. Whenever the Sixers were not carried locally I felt like the game was missing something. To not hear “Hold on Allah…we’re coming in for a Landing” at the end of a close game or “TURNING GARBAGE INTO GOLD” on a putback will be missed.

Last edited:
This might hurt more than the Sixers getting bounced by the Hawks. I loved listening to Marc. Whenever the Sixers were not carried locally I felt like the game was missing something. To not hear “Hold on Allah…we’re coming in for a Landing” at the end of a close game or “TURNING GARBAGE INTO GOLD” on a putback will be missed.
Or when Danny Green shoots a 3 pointer “from the Greenhouse”. I’ll miss Zumoff too. He and Alaa have a great rapport.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmorovich
WOW!! Loved so much listening to Marc. He is the best. More upset about him retiring then losing to the Hawks.. He made the Sixer bad years of winning 10 games less painful to watch. He's truly a class act announcer and one of the best to ever call a sixers game. Thanks Marc for making sixers games more enjoyable to watch and I will greatly miss you.

Reactions: LionJim
WOW!! Loved so much listening to Marc. He is the best. More upset about him retiring then losing to the Hawks.. He made the Sixer bad years of winning 10 games less painful to watch. He's truly a class act announcer and one of the best to ever call a sixers game. Thanks Marc for making sixers games more enjoyable to watch and I will greatly miss you.
Who is likely to take over for Marc? Any news or rumors on this?

I can only assume that “Greg Patulo” is Bill Simmons ghost writer name because this has to be the dumbest trade package I’ve ever heard got Simmons….

I don't agree with Sielski. Saric was OK as a role player. However, on O his game was as a spot-up player, or in scoring on offensive rebounds. He was very poor at creating offense on the dribble. On the other side of the ball, his defense was terrible. While the trade for Butler didn't work out the way the Sixers wanted (how many bounces on the rim was that last shot in G7 of the conference championship?), I always felt that Saric's real value was in a trade, and that's what happened with him. Championship teams need role players, but the Sixers needed to get better to get to a championship, and that happened when they traded Saric.

Reactions: mn78psu83
The article lays out two possible scenarios, one good, one pretty bad, IMO.
That all depends on perspective. While the Sixers' window is obviously now, giving Morey three potential lottery picks and Hield to parlay into another star wouldn't be the worst thing. This may not be a one-step swap of Simmons for an all star shooter.

That all depends on perspective. While the Sixers' window is obviously now, giving Morey three potential lottery picks and Hield to parlay into another star wouldn't be the worst thing. This may not be a one-step swap of Simmons for an all star shooter.
I see what you’re saying, try to trade picks and Hield for someone else. That might work out, but standing pat with Hield and the draft picks would be a loss, which was my original point. I did not consider the possibility you introduced. (Neither did the article, IIRC.)

ADVERTISEMENT