ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Sixers Thread

73-58, Sixers at the half. Shake with 19, Maxey with 13, Tobias with 11, Green with 9 ... JoJo with 5 and Simmons with 4.

The Sixers have 70 points with over 2 minutes left in the first half. Embiid and Simmons only have 8 of those points.
But Simmons gets a triple double and Embid gets to sit out for the entire 4th quarter because of their huge lead. Shake with 31 points. Miami was understaffed due to Covid.

Pretty easy win tonight. Shake led 6 guys in double figures with 31 points. None of the six were named Embiid. Simmons had a triple double. 15 steals as a team. 125-108 final. And it really wasn’t that close.

But Simmons gets a triple double and Embid gets to sit out for the entire 4th quarter because of their huge lead. Shake with 31 points. Miami was understaffed due to Covid.

I expect to see more of these type of lopsided manpower game for a little while. I feel like this makes up for the Denver debacle this team was forced to play.

Reactions: LionJim
With the lack of players due to covid these last few games, we are getting to see what talents our rookies bring to the court. Maxey may be the steal of this year's draft and Isiah Joe is starting to show his stuff. These last few games have aloud them to get confidence. Fun to watch.

The $64,000 question is how long Kyrie will play nice. He WILL eventually go his own way, only question is how long it will take him to do so.

I’d hate to have him as a teammate, always wondering if today will be the day he goes bat-shit crazy.
I’m reading that we’ve reached the bat-shit crazy threshold, that Kyrie might sit out the rest of the year. I’ll let someone post a better link than the one I found.

Reactions: jrs1024
With the lack of players due to covid these last few games, we are getting to see what talents our rookies bring to the court. Maxey may be the steal of this year's draft and Isiah Joe is starting to show his stuff. These last few games have aloud them to get confidence. Fun to watch.
Yep, I think Joe will end up taking most of Kormaz's minutes and thankfully Furkan can be moved to the end of the bench. He is such a liability on defense that is where Isaiah Joe can bring more athleticism and just more plain talent.

Ja Morant will start tonight. Was hoping he was out since Embiid was out. We’ll see if Simmons can carry the Sixers. Still not sure if Simmons is playing or not. Seen he was probable with knee soreness.

Sixers lose. Now 0-3 without Embiid. Shake with 28...Tobias with 21...Maxey with 12. Simmons chipped in 11. I will only do this once I promise. Then never again. Harden with a 32, 12, and 14 triple double.

Sixers lose. Now 0-3 without Embiid. Shake with 28...Tobias with 21...Maxey with 12. Simmons chipped in 11. I will only do this once I promise. Then never again. Harden with a 32, 12, and 14 triple double.

it was Embiid, Curry, Scott and Furkan. So 4 of the Top 10 in the rotation. Actually lucky that Sixers have such a deep team in that Thybulle and Joe are now off the bench and playing well.

I know this isn’t the right place for it, but here’s an article on Zion’s shooting tendencies. He has taken six shots from 10+ feet all season.

(I thought about creating an NBA-wide thread but it seems as if in these threads half of the replies are of the I-hate-NBA sort so it’s never worth it.)

not unusual for guys coming into the league to not be able to shoot much. look at Blake Griffin. Most guys improve that shot over their first few years. that is the issue i think most have with Ben Simmons is that he doesn't appear to be getting any better on the offensive end after now his 4th year in the NBA and 5th year out of college.

not unusual for guys coming into the league to not be able to shoot much. look at Blake Griffin. Most guys improve that shot over their first few years. that is the issue i think most have with Ben Simmons is that he doesn't appear to be getting any better on the offensive end after now his 4th year in the NBA and 5th year out of college.

I think Simmons has improved a lot. But so has the talent around him. There are so many other scorers on the roster that Ben’s role has changed.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
I think Simmons has improved a lot. But so has the talent around him. There are so many other scorers on the roster that Ben’s role has changed.

I mean this as a legitimate discussion and not a shot at all. I’m curious where you think he has improved a lot? If you check his numbers through this young season his points are down, his assists are down, and his turnovers are up. The only improvement #’s wise are in rebounds. I agree he has improved as a defender but to see numbers go down like that means he’s either fighting an injury or the book is out on him and coaches are figuring him out. He has been defiant on his non-willingness to shoot. I feel like he’s made no effort to improve his offensive game and now teams have learned how to play him and it shows in his numbers.

I think Ben is a good player but his unwillingness to do anything to improve his offensive game is incredibly frustrating especially when he is looked at as the second best player on the team. This team is completely different from last year but I feel like with shooters he should be scoring more since the lane should be open but he isn’t. He should be averaging more assists since there are shooters and defense should be sagging in but he doesn’t. Don’t even get me started on his inability to finish around the rim.

I know I’m more down in Ben than most maybe but as a max player picked #1 I would expect more than just a facilitator.

Last edited:
I mean this as a legitimate discussion and not a shot at all. I’m curious where you think he has improved a lot? If you check his numbers through this young season his points are down, his assists are down, and his turnovers are up. The only improvement #’s wise are in rebounds. I agree he has improved as a defender but to see numbers go down like that means he’s either fighting an injury or the book is out on him and coaches are figuring him out. He has been defiant on his non-willingness to shoot. I feel like he’s made no effort to improve his offensive game and now teams have learned how to play him and it shows in his numbers.

I think Ben is a good player but his unwillingness to do anything to improve his offensive game is incredibly frustrating especially when he is looked at as the second best player on the team. This team is completely different from last year but I feel like with shooters he should be scoring more since the lane should be open but he isn’t. He should be averaging more assists since there are shooters and defense should be sagging in but he doesn’t. Don’t even get me started on his inability to finish around the rim.

I know I’m more down in Ben than most maybe but as a max player picked #1 I would expect more than just a facilitator.
There’s a strong school of thought that Morey needs to move Ben sooner rather than later if this continues. The Sixers maxed him based on potential (and the classic “sunk cost” fallacy because they took him #1 overall and valued him more than the league did), but it’s so far looked like another in a series of bad management decisions.

Reactions: Delco Lion
There’s a strong school of thought that Morey needs to move Ben sooner rather than later if this continues. The Sixers maxed him based on potential (and the classic “sunk cost” fallacy because they took him #1 overall and valued him more than the league did), but it’s so far looked like another in a series of bad management decisions.

not sure what you are saying but Ben Simmons was the consensus #1 pick no questions asked. so there was no bad management decision in choosing Ben. Issue with Simmons is his game has not progressed on the offensive end.

the bad management move was moving up to draft Fultz as there was a lot of questions around who that year was the #1 pick and some issues around Fultz as well. So that was move that was panned at the time as a questionable move that turned out disastrous.

not sure what you are saying but Ben Simmons was the consensus #1 pick no questions asked. so there was no bad management decision in choosing Ben. Issue with Simmons is his game has not progressed on the offensive end.

the bad management move was moving up to draft Fultz as there was a lot of questions around who that year was the #1 pick and some issues around Fultz as well. So that was move that was panned at the time as a questionable move that turned out disastrous.
I think Maxey is going to turn out to be a better player than Fultz. Whatever they do with Ben, I’m OK with Milton and Maxey at the point. Add a shooting guard and trade for Beal straight up.

I think Maxey is going to turn out to be a better player than Fultz. Whatever they do with Ben, I’m OK with Milton and Maxey at the point. Add a shooting guard and trade for Beal straight up.
Why would Washington trade Simmons for Beal straight up? Whatever reason you might come up with, it’s not happening.

Why would Washington trade Simmons for Beal straight up? Whatever reason you might come up with, it’s not happening.

Agreed. The only way this happens is if Beal demands a trade and that's the best offer they get.

always a good day when the Sixers defeat the Celtics. The Sixers outscored them 31-17 in the 4th qtr for the 117-109 win.

The one caveat here, is I dont think its a lack of effort from simmons. I think its mostly a lack of confidence combined with a mental block. He's at least taking wide open threes every so often.

One other comment, not related to your post, but I think I need to say it: Joel Embiid is playing at an MVP level so far this season. I think the Sixers are 10-2 with him on the court. He's been absolutely dominant this year, except for games where the guards explode and he can just sit back and chill.

And I guess one more comment: This team is closing much better than in years past. Sometimes, you just knew at the end of a game that Brett Brown had nothing drawn up for scenarios. As a team, they are closing infinitely better than they have the last few years.

I’m hoping he goes 80% around the basket and leads the league in turnover %. Like you said, getting 10-12 a game is plenty with our sweet new shooters.

Simmons did play some pretty strong D last night, but his role is changing, at least while Harris, Curry, Green, Milton, Maxey, and Thybulle are all playing well and vying for time. There is plenty of time to work a deal for Simmons that provides a decent return to the Sixers

Simmons did play some pretty strong D last night, but his role is changing, at least while Harris, Curry, Green, Milton, Maxey, and Thybulle are all playing well and vying for time. There is plenty of time to work a deal for Simmons that provides a decent return to the Sixers
I always worry about trading a star and getting value back. I'm hearing this lots as Watson wants to leave Houston. No way they get enough back. (I know it's football) but look at the Lakers with Anthony

Anyone hating on Simmons should be watching the fourth quarter tonight. He and Embiid have taken over the game. Simmons has 11 points in the quarter. Not sure how many Embiid has but he has 35 for the game. Sixers about to beat the Celtics again. Up 9 with a minute to go.

Anyone hating on Simmons should be watching the fourth quarter tonight. He and Embiid have taken over the game. Simmons has 11 points in the quarter. Not sure how many Embiid has but he has 35 for the game. Sixers about to beat the Celtics again. Up 9 with a minute to go.

Ok...I’ll bite...He played great in the 4th. Like I said in the post a while back...he’s a good player. THIS is the exact reason why fans are frustrated. If he plays like this every game (which isn’t asking much) this team would be even better. BUT....this isn’t his average play this year. That being said, he played great tonight. He scored 7 straight points and played great in D.

He played great tonight but let’s not pretend like he’s been this player all year this year. I’m hoping this continues because it be awesome for the Sixers.

Game over. 122-110 Sixers win. Embiid finished with 38 points.

I only caught the 2nd half, but that probably was a good move. Sixers reportedly struggled early. However, they outscored the Celtics in the 3rd qtr, 42-28. The Celtics made a run in the middle of the 4th qtr, but the Sixers stepped up, and won comfortably.

Jayson Tatum was still out for the Celtics. Jaylen Brown had 42 points for the Celtics.

JoJo lead the Sixers with 38, Tobias had 23, and Simmons and Curry had 15 a piece.

Ok...I’ll bite...He played great in the 4th. Like I said in the post a while back...he’s a good player. THIS is the exact reason why fans are frustrated. If he plays like this every game (which isn’t asking much) this team would be even better. BUT....this isn’t his average play this year. That being said, he played great tonight. He scored 7 straight points and played great in D.

He played great tonight but let’s not pretend like he’s been this player all year this year. I’m hoping this continues because it be awesome for the Sixers.

He stepped up to shut down the Celtics run. Usually more guys are scoring and Simmons doesn’t need to score. Tonight he needed to score down the stretch and he did.

Nice to get a mini sweep against Boston. They had no answer against Embid and the other sixers made nice contributions. Simmons shot the ball a few times in the 4th and as usual dished the ball outside to open men who would drain the 3 ball. It was a good team effort tonight. You can really see the impact of Rivers coaching.

He stepped up to shut down the Celtics run. Usually more guys are scoring and Simmons doesn’t need to score. Tonight he needed to score down the stretch and he did.

I agree that he played great on D. He’s played great on D all year. Let’s not pretend that he’s not scoring because other people are scoring though. He’s not scoring because he doesn’t shoot. I mentioned it in a couple posts above...if he was averaging more assists I would agree with you. His assists are down so I’m not going to pretend like that 4th quarter makes everything better.

I agree that he played great on D. He’s played great on D all year. Let’s not pretend that he’s not scoring because other people are scoring though. He’s not scoring because he doesn’t shoot. I mentioned it in a couple posts above...if he was averaging more assists I would agree with you. His assists are down so I’m not going to pretend like that 4th quarter makes everything better.

Okay. Why should he shoot when better shooters are making shots? Sure, if he was more alpha, he might average 20+. But would that make the team better? I’m happy with the way he’s been playing because he’s doing what the team needs him to do to be one of the better teams in the league.

It's still only a month into the season, but it sure looks like the Sixers are improved under Coach Doc Rivers.

Roles are better defined, shot selection is better, and more players are contributing.

ADVERTISEMENT