ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Sixers Thread

It’s a huge risk. But Simmons for Harden straight up is probably the only trade that could work in the short term. You’d have Harden basically holding the ball with Harris and Embiid down low. And Curry roaming outside the 3 pt arc. Simmons and Harden together sounds disastrous.
Harden and Curry together would be a historically weak backcourt defensively.

Reactions: MJG-90
True but Golden State found ways with similar weaknesses. And they’d still have a great shot blocker behind them.
It's a big bet on the very short term. Huge payoff if the Harden-for-Simmons swap puts them over the top in winning a title. But it puts all the chips from the process in the middle of the table.

Simmons not only does not shoot threes ... he barely shoots outside the lane. And he is an NBA all star. That is how good he is at the rest of the game. And he is what 25YO. IMO .. do not trade him.

I’m now convinced that Simmons will never shoot threes. It’s my understanding that Brown last year asked him to shoot at least three threes a game, and he just wouldn’t. You’re right, if Simmons could take four or five threes a game and hit 35% of them he would be just about the best guard in the league. I’m positive he could hit 35% right now. I can’t understand it.

Isn't this 5 years out for Simmons? He isn't going to develop a jumper in a covid shortended off season. i'd go Harden for Simmons straight up and send the plane out 5 seconds after the call ended to make sure Houston didn't change their mind.

Agree plus Simmons seems injury prone.

Last year was it for me with Simmons, he is a good player no doubt, but not going to be the #1 guy on a championship team, he is a complimentary piece only. He watched Gianiss in the playoffs and what he did with respect to greatly improving his shot year by year, bulking up big in teh weight room, and just driving to the bucket and absorbing contact and scoring. Simmons saw first hand how he had to pattern his game to take it to next level. And did nothing. Literally, tell me where Simmons game has shown any real improvement that just doesn't come via being in the league a few years. Still cannot and refuses to shoot at all from distance. Has not developed even a back to basket turn around jumper, hasn't developed really any back to basket low post moves. Only thing that has improved is his foul shooting from bad to average.

you go back and look at Jordan and Kobe and Lebron and Giannis from year 1 in league to year 5 in league and they made huge strides in their game. That will to be the best via year after year improvement just doesn't seem to be there for Simmons.

Reactions: Mr. Chim
I'm with the trade Simmons crew. Not sure how much better he's become since joining the Sixers. His body has matured and he now has 4-5 years in the league, but his downsides are obvious and pointed out ad nauseum. Embiid and he are just a bad match. Trading him for Hardy will also help Harris's game as well.

I'm with the trade Simmons crew. Not sure how much better he's become since joining the Sixers. His body has matured and he now has 4-5 years in the league, but his downsides are obvious and pointed out ad nauseum. Embiid and he are just a bad match. Trading him for Hardy will also help Harris's game as well.

Crunchtime line-up of Embiid-Harris-Thybulle-Harden-Curry.

That is a line-up that can work and compete with anybody. Green can interchange with Curry or THybulle depending on match-up and who is shooting the best.

I am excited for this team. Hoping Doc can get Harris back to where he was by using him the way he did previously. I was just ready for something different. No hard feelings with Brett Brown he had his chance and it was time to go separate ways. Let's see what Doc can do with all these good players.

Last year was it for me with Simmons, he is a good player no doubt, but not going to be the #1 guy on a championship team, he is a complimentary piece only. He watched Gianiss in the playoffs and what he did with respect to greatly improving his shot year by year, bulking up big in teh weight room, and just driving to the bucket and absorbing contact and scoring. Simmons saw first hand how he had to pattern his game to take it to next level. And did nothing. Literally, tell me where Simmons game has shown any real improvement that just doesn't come via being in the league a few years. Still cannot and refuses to shoot at all from distance. Has not developed even a back to basket turn around jumper, hasn't developed really any back to basket low post moves. Only thing that has improved is his foul shooting from bad to average.

you go back and look at Jordan and Kobe and Lebron and Giannis from year 1 in league to year 5 in league and they made huge strides in their game. That will to be the best via year after year improvement just doesn't seem to be there for Simmons.
Good points. Super Max money at age 24 along with Kendall Jenner on your bird is an easy distraction. It’s reasonable to think his motivation to work at being great has curtailed.

Article doesnt paint Harden in a very positive light. Maybe there is a better trade package out there, or Rivers figures how to make the team work. I think Harris will have a much better season and put up numbers like he did while playing for Rivers in the past.

Article doesnt paint Harden in a very positive light. Maybe there is a better trade package out there, or Rivers figures how to make the team work. I think Harris will have a much better season and put up numbers like he did while playing for Rivers in the past.

Thanks for the link. I now feel better about Westbrook going to Washington.

ADVERTISEMENT