ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Premier League thread

Only 1 EPL game this weekend: AVL vs NEW, a makeup game for a COVID reschedule. Villa earned a 2-0 win. 9th clean sheet for Martinez.

As info, Dean Smith was not coaching due to the red card received on Wednesday when arguing the call that lead to a Man City goal.

Reactions: TheGLOV and LionJim
I think someone asked a question a few weeks ago (might have been on TOS), about who is better, De Bruyne or Bruno. Not sure who I would pick, but Fernandez again showed his class today with the third goal to beat Liverpool.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I think someone asked a question a few weeks ago (might have been on TOS), about who is better, De Bruyne or Bruno. Not sure who I would pick, but Fernandez again showed his class today with the third goal to beat Liverpool.

You beat me to it Todd!

This is the Year of the "Man" not sure which one though.

Congrats to both teams and their fans.

All except ONE on this board.

;) ;) ;)

No doubt. Cavani’s impact is starting to be felt too. Great to see Greenwood bust through. This team simple cannot play out of the back though without giving the ball away cheaply.

No doubt. Cavani’s impact is starting to be felt too. Great to see Greenwood bust through. This team simple cannot play out of the back though without giving the ball away cheaply.

I am studying for my next licensing course and one of the requirements is to do tactical analysis of game tapes over a 120 day period. I decided to analyze United. Playing Fred always puzzled me because he is probably their fifth best midfielder behind Fernandez, Pogba, McTominay and van de Beek. Watching him though, it seems like he is the only player who provides the CBs with an easy outlet pass to ease pressure with any consistency. This will come as no surprise to you as a United fan, but Pobga's work rate is incredibly inconsistent. He knows where he should be, he just has no desire to work to get there. van de Beek has not been given enough time to gain an understanding and when he was given early playing time he was mostly paired with Pogba and Fernandez. I can see why Solskjaer plays Fred. He is the only player who will play as a number 6.

The CB play when Maguirre and Lindeloff are paired together is being hampered by a lack of movement in the MF. They can get away with a little more with Bailly in the lineup, because he so much faster than the other two. It was really evident today while facing a team like Liverpool who presses so high that Lindeloff and Maguirre or not quite fast enough to not need the cover of a 6 in front of them. I like McTominey but he is more of an 8 than 6 and the same goes with van de Beek. This team needs to go buy a 6 to provide cover for Fred ASAP or just let van de Beek play and develop some continuity with the players around him. Just my two cents.

I am studying for my next licensing course and one of the requirements is to do tactical analysis of game tapes over a 120 day period. I decided to analyze United. Playing Fred always puzzled me because he is probably their fifth best midfielder behind Fernandez, Pogba, McTominay and van de Beek. Watching him though, it seems like he is the only player who provides the CBs with an easy outlet pass to ease pressure with any consistency. This will come as no surprise to you as a United fan, but Pobga's work rate is incredibly inconsistent. He knows where he should be, he just has no desire to work to get there. van de Beek has not been given enough time to gain an understanding and when he was given early playing time he was mostly paired with Pogba and Fernandez. I can see why Solskjaer plays Fred. He is the only player who will play as a number 6.

The CB play when Maguirre and Lindeloff are paired together is being hampered by a lack of movement in the MF. They can get away with a little more with Bailly in the lineup, because he so much faster than the other two. It was really evident today while facing a team like Liverpool who presses so high that Lindeloff and Maguirre or not quite fast enough to not need the cover of a 6 in front of them. I like McTominey but he is more of an 8 than 6 and the same goes with van de Beek. This team needs to go buy a 6 to provide cover for Fred ASAP or just let van de Beek play and develop some continuity with the players around him. Just my two cents.
Fred has been much better IMO than you give him credit for. His work rate is probably only second to Bruno. McTominay has had better matches than he did today.

Games being broadcast this coming weekend:

Saturday
7:30 am EST -- Everton vs. Newcastle (NBCSN)
10:00 am EST -- Crystal Palas vs Wolverhampton (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Manchester City vs. Sheffield United (NBCSN)
10:00 am EST -- West Bromwich Albion vs. Fulham (Peacock)
12:30 pm EST -- Asenal vs. Manchester United (NBC)
3:00 pm EST -- Southampton vs. Aston Villa (Peacock)

Sunday
7:00 am EST -- Chelsea vs. Burnley (Peacock)
9:00 am EST -- Leicester City vs. Leeds (Peacock)
11:30 am EST -- West Ham vs. Liverpool (Peacock)
2:15 pm EST -- Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Tottenham (Peacock)

Games in bold are being shown live. Those not in bold are delayed broadcasts or replays.

Reactions: Alphabets
Liverpool 2-1. Son had VAR disallowed goal due to offside as did Salah (prior handball). Kane off due to ankle tweak. Hjoberg with goal for Spurs. Firmino and Alexander-Arnold for Liverpool.

Liverpool 2-1. Son had VAR disallowed goal due to offside as did Salah (prior handball). Kane off due to ankle tweak. Hjoberg with goal for Spurs. Firmino and Alexander-Arnold for Liverpool.
Only saw the replay once, but Son wasn't offside by much.
I have some issues with VAR on the Salah goal. First, how far back do they really have to go to look for fouls? What if the foul was committed in a team's own penalty box and then a counter attack leads to a goal. Do they reverse it? Second, Firmino was getting manhandled when the hand ball occurred. At what point is it like football and offsetting penalties wipe it out?

Hojbergs goal was really nice. Man, it is really hard to hit a ball with your right foot as it moves left to right and put spin on it. Has to be perfectly timed. Spurs just didn't play good defense today.

Only saw the replay once, but Son wasn't offside by much.
I have some issues with VAR on the Salah goal. First, how far back do they really have to go to look for fouls? What if the foul was committed in a team's own penalty box and then a counter attack leads to a goal. Do they reverse it? Second, Firmino was getting manhandled when the hand ball occurred. At what point is it like football and offsetting penalties wipe it out?

Hojbergs goal was really nice. Man, it is really hard to hit a ball with your right foot as it moves left to right and put spin on it. Has to be perfectly timed. Spurs just didn't play good defense today.
Kane’s injury and the late first half goal did them in.

Salah with a beautiful goal @ 57 minutes, puts Liverpool up 1-0. He had a couple of defenders between him and the GK, but he was on his left foot, and went far post with a shot that gave the GK almost no chance.

Just an amazing counter off of a West Ham corner kick results with Salah in on the GK for a goal -- 2-0, Liverpool. Two passes by Liverpool on the counter that were off the charts good. I hope somebody can find a video of the play -- it was that good. And West Ham had been mounting an attack, yet now they are further behind in the match.

Just an amazing counter off of a West Ham corner kick results with Salah in on the GK for a goal -- 2-0, Liverpool. Two passes by Liverpool on the counter that were off the charts good. I hope somebody can find a video of the play -- it was that good. And West Ham had been mounting an attack, yet now they are further behind in the match.

Great news! Got to keep the pressure on those Man. teams!

Wijnaldum with a sweet goal for Liverpool at the 83 minute mark makes it 3-0, Liverpool over West Ham.

Both passes looked like speculative long balls and ended up being perfectly placed. and the first touch by Salah! Deft.

Both passes looked like speculative long balls and ended up being perfectly placed. and the first touch by Salah! Deft.
That’s the thing about soccer, you get some mad skills on display.
I was thinking about Ronaldo yesterday, the CR of ten or so years ago. The man was fast! Watching him racing down the sideline after the ball, wow,

You know what really hooked me on soccer? Diego Forlan in the 2010 World Cup.

Because I luv ya Tom.

An i know the feeling is mutual sir.

Much love!!

Klopp asked about reported Davies transfer, reacts to Liverpool win (msn.com)

ADVERTISEMENT