ADVERTISEMENT

2020/2021 schedule, starters

psykim

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2001
I posted the question a month ago wondering if there is a season and never got a clear answer. If there is a season, what is the schedule and starters. Is there any news at all now that it is mid December? Thank you.

Here are your options for the lineup. One correction I am aware of is that Schnupp graduated and is not wrestling. As always, weightclasses could fluctuate.

Reactions: hlstone
Some schools have released their schedules (e.g., NC State, Va. Tech, Iowa State), which Flo posted. Not aware that any Big Ten teams that have released their schedules yet.

Didn’t someone post that the out of conference meets will probably not happen?

I posted the question a month ago wondering if there is a season and never got a clear answer. If there is a season, what is the schedule and starters. Is there any news at all now that it is mid December? Thank you.

Cael would like to know if you have a plan.

Just talked to a buddy who is good friends with Hef at Illinois. Hef told him the Big hasn't put out the schedule yet

It's a race to see which will be posted first on their website: roster or schedule? I think the schedule might actually come first this year.

The OP has a history of creating threads to ask questions that were answered in other threads, often answered in other threads that have his question in the title.
And the problem with this is?

What is the big deal if the question is asked and answered more than once?

As a more casual follower of this message board, I do not like the long, multitopic threads. Although I recognize a lot of good, interesting information is buried in these threads amongst the nonsensical posts, if the reader does not follow the thread on a regular basis, it is impossible to navigate these long threads to find information in which the reader may be interested. As a result, I never even open the large threads up anymore. I only read the new threads on the board.

I'll take a stab at "clarity", that amorphous, elusive prey:

Your Q: what is the schedule?
Answer: For PSU, there is no schedule at this time. Some schools have released schedules; see WrestleStat who is deeply on top of the schedule releases across the country. Here is Iowa State's: https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/35/iowa-state/profile
- to find others, click Profiles
- click Schools
- select one
- click the Schedule tab

Q: who are the starters?
A: Nobody knows with real clarity. Cael/PSU don't typically publish the clarity you are seeking. You will have to settle for fan/non-program guesses. You can also use WrestleStat to read such guesses, but you will have to apply independent thinking of your own to judge the quality/veracity of said guesses. Here is Penn State's profile page; you can use the Roster tab to see a guess at our "starters": https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/60/penn-state/profile
- The Redshirt icon is useless this year, b/c all competitors have a free year of eligibility. Ignore it.
- A few weeks ago, after Bartlett competed against Meredith, and the NCAA announced free eligibility for everyone, I modified our whole lineup to remove the Redshirt icon
- Since then, somebody went back in & applied it to Nick Lee, not sure why, but it's meaningless

Your Q (paraphrased): is there a season?
A: probably, in some form, but very, very few people can provide clarity at this time.

I'm afraid that's pretty much the best anybody can do in answering your questions. Thank you for your manners, but please be prepared for less assistance from the community going forward if you continue to demonstrate a lack of personal effort in your own internetting. Repeated posting of the same-ish question, in new threads, will pretty quickly wear out any good will the community is willing to grant you. All that is in my humble opinion ("IMHO" in internet lingo), of course.

Good luck finding the information you seek!

And the problem with this is?

What is the big deal if the question is asked and answered more than once?

As a more casual follower of this message board, I do not like the long, multitopic threads. Although I recognize a lot of good, interesting information is buried in these threads amongst the nonsensical posts, if the reader does not follow the thread on a regular basis, it is impossible to navigate these long threads to find information in which the reader may be interested. As a result, I never even open the large threads up anymore. I only read the new threads on the board.
This is an interesting perspective that I hadn't really pondered. I post a TON of stuff on the social media thread because typically those things just don't seem thread "worthy." But I can see now, as a casual forum user, how that would limit what you are exposed to with minimal effort. I know @amalone will from time to time share a social post in a new thread, and that maybe should be something I do more of than I do. Will try to tune my inner editor moving forward w/ your thoughts in mind.

I can't tell if they are joking or not here as the show seems less than serious but Nick Lee just mentioned in an interview that he was Olympic Redshirting: https://www.rokfin.com/post/22434/M...Ep-1-with-Guests-Nick-Lee-and-Vincenzo-Joseph

Right after he mentioned that the camera goes to Mark McKnight and Vincenzo Joseph who whisper to each other and laugh but you can't hear what they say. Just curious if anybody else had seen this or can clarify if that is a joke that I just missed. You do need your Rokfin account to watch the clip which starts right around the 2:30 mark.

I can't tell if they are joking or not here as the show seems less than serious but Nick Lee just mentioned in an interview that he was Olympic Redshirting: https://www.rokfin.com/post/22434/M...Ep-1-with-Guests-Nick-Lee-and-Vincenzo-Joseph

Right after he mentioned that the camera goes to Mark McKnight and Vincenzo Joseph who whisper to each other and laugh but you can't hear what they say. Just curious if anybody else had seen this or can clarify if that is a joke that I just missed. You do need your Rokfin account to watch the clip which starts right around the 2:30 mark.

Ha, this is hilarious, b/c it's the exact reason for my visit right now!

After typing earlier today that, b/c of the NCAA Eligibility Free year, the WrestleStat Redshirt icon was meaningless this year (and removing it from Nick Lee's wrestler profile) , I got a dm from the WS bros. It referenced this interview with Nick Lee & the Golden Bear that you linked. So I came in to ask Jefe the wh, wh, why?

Why would Nick Lee use an OlyRS on a free NCAA eligibility year? Guesses:
- Come off the scholarship funds for a year. He said he was only taking one class--a 400 level; perhaps the fam is paying for it out of pocket? How does this stuff work?
- Focus solely on Freestyle. Thompson's lead-in question: "how's that going so far--just training fulltime?" Nick Lee's answer: "so far, so good. I mean, we were still doing a lot of training while we were on the college team, but it's kinda a nice change of pace." I think Cenzo & Marky McKnight were whispering to bust his balls on something else, but just a guess.
- Free up the college competition slot at 141 for somebody else. Bartlett presumably, right? By guaranteeing Nick Lee will NOT compete for the college team in 2021 (despite, again, the freebie), they grant more opportunity to others, however this weird year plays out.

@El-Jefe any insight on the OlyRS & scholarship details, from your experience?

After typing earlier today that, b/c of the NCAA Eligibility Free year, the WrestleStat Redshirt icon was meaningless this year (and removing it from Nick Lee's wrestler profile) , I got a dm from the WS bros. It referenced this interview with Nick Lee & the Golden Bear that you linked. So I came in to ask Jefe the wh, wh, why?

- Come off the scholarship funds for a year. He said he was only taking one class--a 400 level; perhaps the fam is paying for it out of pocket? How does this stuff work?
- Focus solely on Freestyle. Thompson's lead-in question: "how's that going so far--just training fulltime?" Nick Lee's answer: "so far, so good. I mean, we were still doing a lot of training while we were on the college team, but it's kinda a nice change of pace." I think Cenzo & Marky McKnight were whispering to bust his balls on something else, but just a guess.
- Free up the college competition slot at 141 for somebody else. Bartlett presumably, right? By guaranteeing Nick Lee will NOT compete for the college team in 2021 (despite, again, the freebie), they grant more opportunity to others, however this weird year plays out.

He wouldve to be enrolled full time and taking 12 credits 2nd semester to wrestle.He obviously had this plan in motion prior to covid and doesn't want to change his plan.He would be paying for the 1 class out of pocket

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp

From my experience? Well, I did get an Olympic shirt -- in 1996 while in Atlanta. Paid about $25 or $30 for it.

More seriously, to respond to these bullets (but out of order):
- Focus solely on Freestyle: that is the athletic principle behind the Olympic Shirt concept (for all wrestlers). So this is conceivable ... but with a virus-special wrinkle: the entire team has likely been practicing exclusively freestyle anyway. (Well, except for The Anvil going exclusively Greco.)

Also: if he's not Olympic Shirting, there is no rule that says he must participate in ANY folkstyle practice -- he could train exclusively freestyle anyway. This leads into the academic/financial aspect ...

- Come off scholarship for a year: the Olympic Shirt rule allows wrestlers to skip school for the entire year without impact to future eligibility. Likewise it allows teams to not offer scholarship money for that year. If Lee is only taking 1 class, he's probably not getting any money.

Caveat: the Olympic Shirt is just like any other shirt -- it can be pulled at any time before B10s. In which case, Lee could still get some money for spring semester (depending on how much of the 9.9 remains) -- but taking enough classes could be an issue. IIRC Snyder took around 13 credits/semester while Olympic Shirting, so his eligibility was not in question when Tan Tom pulled the shirt.

- Free up the 141 slot: highly unlikely that Lee would shirt for this reason, especially this year. Let's call this a result, not a cause. And, yes, Bartlett would be the Next Man Up.

Reactions: jtothemfp

Nick will wrestle this PSU season!

Here's my guess. Nick decided to Oly RS after witnessing what happened in March. He made a bunch of plans, including a light course load in the fall semester so he could focus on training. When the free year was announced, he was already in the middle of that plan. I bet he enrolls fully for spring though.

Here's my guess. Nick decided to Oly RS after witnessing what happened in March. He made a bunch of plans, including a light course load in the fall semester so he could focus on training. When the free year was announced, he was already in the middle of that plan. I bet he enrolls fully for spring though.

Solid reasoning in that Guess, thanks Nerf!

Reactions: Fatmarc
I wonder if a few of our wrestlers might wrestle an abbreviated season like Snyder did leading up to last Olympics. Maybe we'll see the 1st team only once or twice before the Big Ten Championships.

Reactions: Fatmarc
I wonder if a few of our wrestlers might wrestle an abbreviated season like Snyder did leading up to last Olympics. Maybe we'll see the 1st team only once or twice before the Big Ten Championships.

The whole team is already going to wrestle an abbreviated season. 9 duals over 4 weekends is what has been reported so far, although nothing official from the BIG.

The whole team is already going to wrestle an abbreviated season. 9 duals over 4 weekends is what has been reported so far, although nothing official from the BIG.
That leads to another postseason qualification issue: gold/silver/bronze # matches will need to be adjusted this year.

I posted this a while ago when the Pre-Championship manual was posted. 4 is the new number for minimum matches.

Pre-Championship Manual

SELECTION CRITERIA
.700 Win %
Top 33 CR
.700 winning percentage against all competition
One win against a wrestler receiving automatic qualification via an earned position (preallocated)
Qualifying tournament placement one below automatic qualification
Seeded in top 16 during 2020 selection
Finished in top 8 during 2019 championship

Only wrestlers that meet or exceed two of the above criteria with at least four matches at the respective weight class will be eligible for selection as at-large qualifiers. A wrestler that is unable to compete in his qualifying tournament because of COVID-19 related issues may be considered for at-large selection, if verified documentation is provided to the committee prior to selections, and only if his team does not enter a different wrestler into the qualifying tournament at the same weight class.

ALLOCATION
For 2021, the NCAA Wrestling Committee will also allocate qualifiers for each respective qualifying tournament using a formula that calculates historical allocation data from the past five years. The remaining spots available in each class are reserved for at-large selections. The NCAA Wrestling Committee has determined that regardless of the number of spots that will be pre-allocated to qualifying tournaments, there will be a minimum of four at-large spots per weight class selected by the committee.

Here is my best guess based on the past five year averages. That would give 29 in each weight and leave 4 at-larges.

ACC: 4
Big 12: 5
Big 10: 8
EIWA: 3 (account for 6 schools missing)
MAC: 4 (they have averaged just 41.6 qualifiers over past 3 years and averaged 55.5 qualifiers from 2016-17)
Pac 12: 2
SoCon: 2 (I just can't see them giving a conference only 1 in this year.

Honestly, with the amount of talent in the room, I'd probably rotate my NCAA point-scorers in and out, too.

There's usually a reason that guys step into the line up and produce pretty well right away. While part of that is obviously training and mentality, I think it helps to get certain guys a starting look, when it works out.

Just not in marquee matchups that are hyped for days, only to have one of the competitors not compete lol.

WrestleStat bros told me PSU is the only D1 program to not yet have released an official roster, and that they check 5x a day.

Perhaps that program-issued roster release will provide the elusive clarity about Nick Lee?

Will bet that if the program-issued roster includes Nick Lee, that WrestleStat will remove the Redshirt icon, which will return him to prominence in the WrestleStat 141 Rankings.

Reactions: Ja1339
WrestleStat bros told me PSU is the only D1 program to not yet have released an official roster, and that they check 5x a day.

Perhaps that program-issued roster release will provide the elusive clarity about Nick Lee?

Will bet that if the program-issued roster includes Nick Lee, that WrestleStat will remove the Redshirt icon, which will return him to prominence in the WrestleStat 141 Rankings.
I heard they're going to release the roster and schedule both as premium content on Rokfin. Pony up!

This could mean absolutely nothing but Nick Lee and Greg Kerkvliet are not listed on the track wrestling roster. There are no other obvious omissions that I see and its not like they just haven't certified because Austin Boone, Richie Heywood, and Adam Busiello are all listed but just not certified.

This could mean absolutely nothing but Nick Lee and Greg Kerkvliet are not listed on the track wrestling roster. There are no other obvious omissions that I see and its not like they just haven't certified because Austin Boone, Richie Heywood, and Adam Busiello are all listed but just not certified.
Just a total guess here, but if both are not registered for Fall courses (as part of original OLY Redshirt plan), but now planning on Spring classes, is it possible they would not be listed until closer to the semester? Versus the other guys that are now taking classes?

Just a total guess here, but if both are not registered for Fall courses (as part of original OLY Redshirt plan), but now planning on Spring classes, is it possible they would not be listed until closer to the semester? Versus the other guys that are now taking classes?

It's possible. I think the coaches put those in so it would surprise me that they would want to go in twice to do the same thing. Of course, I have no idea when they entered them the first time so maybe they put in the roster before the NCAA passed the free year legislation and they just have not gotten back around to do adding those two. However, I should probably just be quiet and stop speculating though because my guess is no better than anybody else.

The only other thing I can think of is that Nick Lee doesn't want to be enrolled full time and pay that tuition money but I can't really think of the scholarship he would possibly be taking. Its not like they have a big name senior graduating this year that they would have planned on him taking a redshirt and not needed scholarship and having that allocated to another person this year and then he would get it back next year after somebody graduates.

Correct wouldn't be listed unless a full time student

Nick Lee is still listed as a RS on wrestleStat and is not listed on the enrolled student directory

I know we have competant back-ups,but our chances of taking out Iowa take a huge hit without Nick, and go completely down crapper if Kerk opts out too.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Selfishly, as a fan, I want to see all hands on deck this year. I really hope Lee wrestles this year for PSU.
Maybe I am reading the Tea leaves differently but if I was Nick and wanted to wrestle as long as possible with my brothers........I would red-shirt this semester. To wrestle next year...you have to be a full time student taking a certain number of classes. Why take classes this semester when no wrestling is taking place? I would not be surprised at all to see Nick in class and on the mat second semester. He has a free year and will most likely be back next full year. Who wants to be taking graduate classes and wrestle if they don't really need to? Just my thoughts.

Maybe I am reading the Tea leaves differently but if I was Nick and wanted to wrestle as long as possible with my brothers........I would red-shirt this semester. To wrestle next year...you have to be a full time student taking a certain number of classes. Why take classes this semester when no wrestling is taking place? I would not be surprised at all to see Nick in class and on the mat second semester. He has a free year and will most likely be back next full year. Who wants to be taking graduate classes and wrestle if they don't really need to? Just my thoughts.
Except the redshirt rule was waived this year. Nick can wrestle this year AND next year, if he so chooses.

Except the redshirt rule was waived this year. Nick can wrestle this year AND next year, if he so chooses.
Yes....I understand that. But if he took a full load of classes this semester he would very likely graduate this year......which would mean he would have to enroll as a Graduate student and take a full load of Graduate classes next year. Not my idea of a good time :)

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Has there been any announcement of how scholarship money will be handled since this is a "free" year athletically.

update: found this on the web..
The NCAA D1 Council adopted legislation that loosened regulation regarding need-based aid and academic scholarships that are not tied to athletic ability. Effective August 1, 2020, teams in equivalency sports like wrestling will not have any athletes’ need- and academic-based aid count against a team’s maximum athletic scholarship limit. Before this new rule, athletes had to meet certain criteria for their additional aid to not be counted against a team’s athletic scholarship limit.

Wrestling teams will still have a maximum athletic scholarship cap, but student-athletes can seek to add as much need-based aid and academic scholarships as they can secure. With school and family budgets being impacted by COVID-19, this rule change should allow wrestling programs that have the funds to extend more money to families and athletes that need it—especially at private colleges with higher tuition.

Back to Top ^

Last edited:
Reactions: Ja1339
ADVERTISEMENT