ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Smith is another 18YO kid who has a big decision to make. Expect to see kids change their minds every cycle. CJF handles it well ... always have a line waiting to step into the 'ship. We Are!

I thought it was relevant to RECRUITING in general a story to illustrate what type of person Urban Meyer is, according to the parent of one of his current players. YMMV.
it was an interesting story and a solid share.

And it wasn't your post that caused the 30th(+) derail of this thread. It's where others (including me) went with it. The recruiting stuff is relevant to 2019 recruiting, the details of Smith, lying, etc. aren't.

Thanks for the share.

Reactions: bmw199 and mcgunns
Roberson just got his 4th Star on Rivals. Do they know he's 5'9?.....j/k

Just another 3* QB that CJF & co identified early and shot up the rankings.

And I still don't understand why we need a second QB with Tommy coming back next year.
I don't think we are recruiting a QB for this class with the intentions of them playing in 2019.

If you bring in 1 QB per year, let's say you have 4 scholarship QB's on your depth chart. A starter, a backup who has taken a redshirt, 3rd string, and a guy redshirting. Now, what if the backup transfers out because he wants to play, and the 3rd string guy is a bust and can't play at this level? Now you have your starter and his backup is a guy who should be taking a redshirt and has no experience. Pretty hairy situation. You'd like 5 scholarship QBs on your depth chart if possible, and it isn't always possible. But I think it's a worthwhile goal.

If you bring in 1 QB per year, let's say you have 4 scholarship QB's on your depth chart. A starter, a backup who has taken a redshirt, 3rd string, and a guy redshirting. Now, what if the backup transfers out because he wants to play, and the 3rd string guy is a bust and can't play at this level? Now you have your starter and his backup is a guy who should be taking a redshirt and has no experience. Pretty hairy situation. You'd like 5 scholarship QBs on your depth chart if possible, and it isn't always possible. But I think it's a worthwhile goal.

We are fine with 1. We ALREADY have 5 and only one is graduating. Taking two pretty much guarantees one will transfer.

Reactions: ejb25

Plus I still think because of the Brandon Wimbush and Justin Fields situations our QB recruiting has been a notch below the rest of our positional recruiting.

I know it's early but after Tommy is gone I don't see a QB on the roster yet who I think can win a national championship. Neither Clifford nor Zembiec look like can't miss future studs from what I've seen of them so far. Will Levis looks the part but he was a 3 star recruit.

I can see why the staff is still searching for QB talent that can play right after Tommy leaves.

Reactions: marshall23
We are fine with 1. We ALREADY have 5 and only one is graduating. Taking two pretty much guarantees one will transfer.
Are you saying that is a bad thing? For years people have whined about the desire to win and be on the national stage. If a recruit improves that position group.....regardless of where that is.....it is the coach's job to pursue him.
A scholarship is not an offer of playing time. There may be (likely) a current scholarship QB who will never start at PSU.

From the over the last few, seems pretty likely one will. The new 4-game RS rule should help answer some questions, especially re: how reserve QBs are likely to perform in game situations. I'd bet that'll impact 2019 recruiting.

And we could have 6 QBs in 2019. What would you put for 6?

Tommy
Zembiec
Clifford
Levis
Roberson
Johnson

I'd hate to loose Roberson if Johnson commits. I know he says he's fine with a second QB. But there are schools with more favorable Depth Charts than us.

3 = less than ideal
4 = ideal
5 = depends on how they are grouped IMO.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Tommy
Zembiec
Clifford
Levis
Roberson
Johnson

I'd hate to loose Roberson if Johnson commits. I know he says he's fine with a second QB. But there are schools with more favorable Depth Charts than us.
Trust the process IMO. QB's can and often will transfer due to lack of PT...it's the one position where it happens more often than not.

Reactions: TheGLOV and LionJim

I think there are two factors at play here, one being the probable departure of 2 QBs after 2019 and the other what appears to be a below average group of QB prospects in the 2020 class - particularly in the NE and Mid-Atlantic regions.

Scholarship QB depth in 2019 as it stands:

Stevens - RS Sr
Zembiec - RS Jr
Clifford - RS Soph
Levis - RS Fr
Roberson - Fr

Stevens will have used up his eligibility and it's hard for me to imagine JZ will be sticking around after 4 years in the program when Clifford and possibly others have hurdled him on the depth chart. This would leave 3 QBs on scholie plus anyone incoming from the 2020 class. PSU has only offered 3 2020 QBs thus far, 2 who have already committed elsewhere and third who is a long shot at best. There's a distinct possibility that it may be challenging to recruit an upper echelon QB prospect in 2020.

In considering the above along with CJF's oft-stated goal to have 5 scholarship QBs it's not hard to see why getting commitments from 2 QBs this year is a priority. At a minimum, it provides depth in case of injury/lack of development at the most important position on the field and a hedge against needing to take a lesser QB prospect in the 2020 class out of desperation. Not every 3-star guy with a total of 2 P-5 offers to play QB is going to be a Trace McSorcerer.

Tommy
Zembiec
Clifford
Levis
Roberson
Johnson

Zembiec will be, at best, 3rd string in ‘19 if he sticks around. He may even end up behind Levis.

Tommy
Zembiec
Clifford
Levis
Roberson
Johnson

Don't forget, we just gave the Long Snapper a scholarship so that puts us at 86 currently

Plus I still think because of the Brandon Wimbush and Justin Fields situations our QB recruiting has been a notch below the rest of our positional recruiting.

I know it's early but after Tommy is gone I don't see a QB on the roster yet who I think can win a national championship. Neither Clifford nor Zembiec look like can't miss future studs from what I've seen of them so far. Will Levis looks the part but he was a 3 star recruit.

I can see why the staff is still searching for QB talent that can play right after Tommy leaves.
How much have you seen?

3 = less than ideal
4 = ideal
5 = depends on how they are grouped IMO.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college...otball-james-franklin-scholarships-story.html

Further, Franklin said, he would like to field a roster with five scholarship quarterbacks. Penn State has three for the 2015 season.

"You want to get to the point where your [third-string players] are on the scout team, and your [starters] are going against a scout team who are scholarship players across the board," Franklin said. "And if you don't bring it every single day, that scout team is going to get after you."

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college...otball-james-franklin-scholarships-story.html

Further, Franklin said, he would like to field a roster with five scholarship quarterbacks. Penn State has three for the 2015 season.

"You want to get to the point where your [third-string players] are on the scout team, and your [starters] are going against a scout team who are scholarship players across the board," Franklin said. "And if you don't bring it every single day, that scout team is going to get after you."

Hard to do consistently IMO. Very few if any teams can consistently keep 5 QB's on ship as some will move on once they get passed over. If you manage to keep 4 around in most years, you're doing pretty good.

Hard to do consistently IMO. Very few if any teams can consistently keep 5 QB's on ship as some will move on once they get passed over. If you manage to keep 4 around in most years, you're doing pretty good.

I said as much above. I think that is what you strive for, because between busts and potential transfers you can get yourself in a tight spot.

Lc9fCTK.gif

How much have you seen?

Let's put it this way, I was underwhelmed by Clifford's performance in the Blue White game. Does that mean much, probably not, but it means enough to me to support the staff's decision to go after two QB's this year.

A scholarship is not an offer of playing time. There may be (likely) a current scholarship QB who will never start at PSU.

There is likely one or more scholarship QB's on the roster that will never take a snap in a real game at PSU, let alone start.

Because other than Tommy Stevens likely only getting 1 year to start, young talented QB's that win the starting job more than likely will have the starting job for more than 1 year. So baring significant injuries there are very often QB's recruited to P5 programs that do not get to play.

Last edited:
Let's put it this way, I was underwhelmed by Clifford's performance in the Blue White game. Does that mean much, probably not, but it means enough to me to support the staff's decision to go after two QB's this year.

CJF and staff are relieved that they have your support.

I could care less about anyone’s option on recruiting, outside of the football staff. It’s nice to root along at home for the high profile recruits, but if anyone on a message board knew anything at all, they would be charging money for their opinion.

Let's put it this way, I was underwhelmed by Clifford's performance in the Blue White game.

I thought he looked fine for his first action at Penn State. He wasn't an early enrollee so it was his first spring. I doubt he got many reps at all last fall since he was redshirting. And with McSorley and Stevens ahead of him, he probably didn't get all that many reps this spring either. Combine that with playing with a bunch of receivers I couldn't name and I'm not sure why your expectations were apparently so high.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I thought he looked fine for his first action at Penn State. He wasn't an early enrollee so it was his first spring. I doubt he got many reps at all last fall since he was redshirting. And with McSorley and Stevens ahead of him, he probably didn't get all that many reps this spring either. Combine that with playing with a bunch of receivers I couldn't name and I'm not sure why your expectations were apparently so high.

My expectations weren't high. Clifford could turn out be an outstanding QB and we certainly haven't seen enough of him to determine otherwise.

That said, I've read one guy post today that he will beat out Stevens in 2019 and another guy complain that we shouldn't take 2 QB's this year because of the quarterbacks already on the roster. I thought Steven's performance in the BW game in 2017 was light years ahead of anything I saw out of the young QB's in last year's game.

My expectations weren't high. Clifford could turn out be an outstanding QB and we certainly haven't seen enough of him to determine otherwise.

That said, I've read one guy post today that he will beat out Stevens in 2019 and another guy complain that we shouldn't take 2 QB's this year because of the quarterbacks already on the roster. I thought Steven's performance in the BW game in 2017 was light years ahead of anything I saw out of the young QB's in last year's game.

Thought Clifford had a hamstring injury coming into B/W and wasn't even expected to play. All the intel you hear coming from the staff is that he's very highly thought of.

2019 Position Rankings Update: Running back

Rob Cassidy • Rivals.com

TEAM WITH TOP COMMIT: PENN STATE

o1t8cwkknmlyortilbx1

Devyn Ford
Nick Lucero/Rivals.com

Devyn Ford
is the top committed running back in the country. And while the Virginia-based prospect fell from No. 1 to No. 2 in the position rankings in the most recent update, Penn Stateis still getting an impressive player. Penn State has found wild success in the state of Virginia in recent years and landing Ford is just the latest example of the program’s foothold.

The Nittany Lions signed a Rivasl100 running back in Ricky Slade
a year ago and it’s not hard to figure out why James Franklin is finding success recruiting the position, as the now-departed
Saquon Barkley was one of the biggest names in college football over the past two seasons.

Trust the process IMO. QB's can and often will transfer due to lack of PT...it's the one position where it happens more often than not.
Not sure about this with Franklin He may just keep Zembiec until he graduates early.
i am surprised that your expectations are so low

True. Sometimes kids bail with the lack of PT. Not all the time, but your point could very well hold true.

Why do you think JF never benched Hackenberg? Based on Trace's play since taking over, our win total is +1 at a minimum through Hack's final season. JF didn't have the credibility to pull a 5* kid, even if every armchair QB could see it could not hurt. Besides, it served two purposes:

1) Hack got to remain highly draftable and got plenty of benefit of doubt. If he gets benched, teams could have strayed.
2) Donovan got fired, JoMo came in with his scheme, and the pieces came together for a two year run.

As for the recruiting part of it:

JF has Trace to vouch for now. He's going up to these kids, and spitting his story. Underrated (to start) recruit like Roberson. You can be the next Trace. To the highly regarded Johnson. With your arm and legs, imagine what YOU could do in this offense... Trace put up these stats and his OL was patchwork for a year and a half!

Realistically, you don't know how either player will turn out. You don't know who will stay, leave, develop, etc. If you like a kid, and he wants to come, you offer him.

There were certainly several games in 2015 that Hack was playing very poorly in and I was very very surprised that Trace wasn’t given a series or two by Franklin to perhaps jump-start the team.

Easy to look back.....

i am surprised that your expectations are so low

He was 4 of 8 for 58 yards and a TD. I'm stunned that people are being critical of that given he's been in the program less than a year and that was his first "game" action and he wasn't playing with first team players. What should the expectation be for him at that stage?

Not good to have to 2 straws stirring the drink. Franklin knew it was time to move on from Hack. Moving the program forward, became secondary to Christian's success. That had to change.
A lesson for parents. Never criticize your child's coach in their (child's) presence. It encourages the athlete to transfer their shortcomings to the coaching staff. I think Hack spent two years mourning the loss of BOB and blaming his lack of progress on coaching. We still see folks making excuses for Hack....like he is gun shy. LOL Like a guy who is afraid to be hit, and is haunted by sacks from 3 years ago, is a future NFL star.

ADVERTISEMENT