ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

It's impossible to fault a kid for wanting to be coached by LJ Sr. He worked miracles at PSU for decades. HURRY UP AND RETIRE ALREADY GO HANG OUT WITH YOUR GRANDKIDS

worked miracles my ass.... he recruited great DL. They did the rest. the best recruit brought in was his son and it took too long for LJ Jr to get the starting job. LJ was a DC/Maryland recruiting machine... development????? Not so much.

worked miracles my ass.... he recruited great DL. They did the rest. the best recruit brought in was his son and it took too long for LJ Jr to get the starting job. LJ was a DC/Maryland recruiting machine... development????? Not so much.
well i disagree on the development end but his recruiting alone qualifies as working miracles for me

well i disagree on the development end but his recruiting alone qualifies as working miracles for me

Good. I hope he gives you orgasms.

The guy had a hard on for CJF to the point he told a player that was not ready for the NFL to leave the program for the NFL.His son, LJ Jr is 100 times the man the LJ Sr is. A lot of PSU yes men didn't like the frankness of LJ Jr. Well, LJ Jr. was right and his performance after being given the job he deserved, speaks for himself. Sr. lacks character.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Really, convincing talented football players in the mid Atlantic area to play football at the best football program in the mid Atlantic area is what you consider working miracles? Guess what, I went to a convince store today and for a dollar and some change they gave me a 32 ounce soda! I am a freakin’ miracle worker too, just like LJ Sr....

:rolleyes:

Not sure if serious......

Let see? LJ's last DL line recruiting class at PSU had one 3 star from NJ and one 4 star from Michigan..... who were they? Also, Who coached them way up to their extraordinary performances in their senior years? SS and DG. Before that they were for 3 years... decent. The other NFL DE was a walk on that .well.... was discouraged by LJ Sr. Jr. has been PSU all the way..... SR.... like him if you like..... means nothing to me.

Hudl-HQ-outside-corner-view.jpg

In Lincoln, NE for work this week and just had dinner across the street from the HUDL headquarters. Just thought I’d place here for additional perspective.
Btw, the Haymarket area is pretty sweet...

Precisely. I would rather that Michigan put on their best possible show, and still not be enough. That would truly put the fear of God into them.

In the past, Michigan would (rightly, perhaps) assume that if they wanted a guy that we had or also wanted, all they had to do was ask. It's time they learned that those days are long, long gone.

Hopefully the mosquitoes are out in force during Harbaugh’s camp out / sleepover!

Reactions: TheGLOV
That’s entirely possible. However I’d wager that during the entire recruiting period LJ and Meyer never said anything other than that LJ would continue to coach at Osu. Just like they did with the running back a few years ago... Weber I believe?!
Well with the NCAA rule change, when LJ retires in a year, Smith can transfer to PSU with no penalty ;)

Should we really get upset about flips? If a kid comes on campus and has serious misgivings, will he look to transfer at the first bump in the road anyway? Lying? What's the divorce rate in the USA?

You need to go back up and read again. You missed the point entirely. It's not what she did, it's what her son did.

I read the whole thing. She's worried that her family (or her son) will be perceived as a liar. Well, if her son told James Franklin he was coming to PSU and then he didn't, then her fears have become a reality. Tyreke Smith is certainly allowed to go wherever he likes and he is allowed to change his mind, too. But none of that changes what a lie is.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I read the whole thing. She's worried that her family (or her son) will be perceived as a liar. Well, if her son told James Franklin he was coming to PSU and then he didn't, then her fears have become a reality. Tyreke Smith is certainly allowed to go wherever he likes and he is allowed to change his mind, too. But none of that changes what a lie is.
Christ. Like I said, you missed it entirely.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
I’d hate to think where we would be the last two years without that liar Saquon Barkley

I for one am glad Saquon went back on his verbal. I'm not saying I think people are bad people for de-committing after giving a verbal (silent or otherwise), all I am saying is that if you give a verbal and then you go back on it and are afraid you will be viewed as a liar then well, your fears are justified.

I don't think Tyreke Smith or his mother are bad people. I don't know them but I mean her fears were justified in this sense.

Reactions: mcgunns
I for one am glad Saquon went back on his verbal. I'm not saying I think people are bad people for de-committing after giving a verbal (silent or otherwise), all I am saying is that if you give a verbal and then you go back on it and are afraid you will be viewed as a liar then well, your fears are justified.

I don't think Tyreke Smith or his mother are bad people. I don't know them but I mean her fears were justified in this sense.
Lying is making a false statement with intent to deceive.
The kid committed to play for PSU, intending to do so. He changed his mind and didn’t honor his commitment.

Huge Difference in Intention.

Lying is making a false statement with intent to deceive.
The kid committed to play for PSU, intending to do so. He changed his mind and didn’t honor his commitment.

Huge Difference in Intention.

I don't even think they should feel about it. At the end of the day the kids should do what they think is best for themselves. If that means going back on their word they should and not feel bad about it. However, the staff or even others may feel they were lied to if they do. That's how it works when you give you word and then do something else. But again, no player should feel bad for giving a verbal and then de-committing.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Roberson just got his 4th Star on Rivals. Do they know he's 5'9?.....j/k

Just another 3* QB that CJF & co identified early and shot up the rankings.

And I still don't understand why we need a second QB with Tommy coming back next year.

Reactions: ELDADDY and TheGLOV

And I still don't understand why we need a second QB with Tommy coming back next year.

Injuries, transfers, development, and competition.

Should Franklin & staff set up a conference call and try to explain it to you?

;)

I don't even think they should feel about it. At the end of the day the kids should do what they think is best for themselves. If that means going back on their word they should and not feel bad about it. However, the staff or even others may feel they were lied to if they do. That's how it works when you give you word and then do something else. But again, no player should feel bad for giving a verbal and then de-committing.
I think it’s appropriate for people to feel bad when they don’t keep their commitments and let others down. Clearly, the 2018 decommit and his mother feel that way.

Let’s try to get back to 2019 recruiting in this thread.

The issue, in my opinion, is that Mrs. Smith made promises that she wasn't able to back up, because it wasn't her decision, it was her son's. This should be a lesson for CJF, make sure both player and parent are all in before you stop recruiting other people. As it happened, we weren't left empty handed, getting Parson's and Oweh, but not Smith, is hardly something to cry about. It's just not as great as it could have been.

Reactions: TheGLOV and ELDADDY
I thought it was relevant to RECRUITING in general a story to illustrate what type of person Urban Meyer is, according to the parent of one of his current players. YMMV.
Judge, I would rather talk about this recruiting story that pertains to PSU 11 times out of 10 rather than ever reading about our scholarship limits and how they work EVER AGAIN. Appreciated the link and story!

The issue, in my opinion, is that Mrs. Smith made promises that she wasn't able to back up, because it wasn't her decision, it was her son's. This should be a lesson for CJF, make sure both player and parent are all in before you stop recruiting other people. As it happened, we weren't left empty handed, getting Parson's and Oweh, but not Smith, is hardly something to cry about. It's just not as great as it could have been.

I think part of CJF's recruiting strategy is to recruit the parents as much as the kid and more times than not if you win with the parents you win with the kid. I think he did win with Tyreke's parents and ultimately lost out on the kid. I like the strategy Franklin uses because I think it's important for the family and parents of these kids to be just as comfortable with the staff, program, and university as the kid is. This seems like a rare instance where totally winning the parents didn't work out.

And I do understand that his mother feels bad because she sounds like a genuine person. My point is that I'm certainly not going to judge her if she doesn't feel bad about it, but if she does then it sounds like she values her integrity as much as somebody should.

I don't want my previous posts to be misconstrued. I value integrity more than I value almost anything, and there have been times in my life where I have been less than perfect and I've felt bad. If I give my word and I don't follow through then I don't hold it against somebody for feeling that I've lied to them. But sometimes I also have to make decisions that are best for me, and so do these kids. So while I won't hold it against her if she doesn't feel bad, kudos to her for having enough integrity to feel bad about it.

Reactions: mcgunns
I thought it was relevant to RECRUITING in general a story to illustrate what type of person Urban Meyer is, according to the parent of one of his current players. YMMV.

Wasn't really directing at the original post, appreciate the story.

Talking more at the page of bickering back and forth after about LJ Sr., lying about committing and decommitting, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT