ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/psu-in-great-shape-with-multiple-2019-rivals100-prospects

While James Franklin and his assistants are still waiting for commitment No. 1 in 2019, their efforts to spot the nation's best prospects was evident earlier this afternoon, as the Nittany Lions have extended 19 scholarship offers to prospects that made up the first Rivals100 in the Class of 2019.

Just last month, Penn State hosted a handful of those prospects for its Lasch Bash barbecue. DE Zach Harrison (No. 9 overall), LB Shane Lee (No. 29), Saf. DeMarcco Hellams (No. 63), OL Caedan Wallace (No. 79), LB Cade Stover (No. 96) and DE Brandon Smith (No. 100) were all not only in attendance for the staff's biggest event of the summer, but all six have been on campus multiple times in the past year.

Some other familiar names in the 2019 Rivals100 include RB Devyn Ford (No. 10), DEAntonio Alfano (No. 57), OL John Olmstead (No. 59) and OL Will Putnam (No. 64). All four players have been to Penn State at least one time in the past year.

Who is PSU first for 2019?

I think with the way things went down with Fields and Parsons, JF is going to stress to the 2019 recruits "TAKE ALL YOUR VISITS"...once you commit, you have to shut it down. It ended up not harming the class, luckily, but when we were trying to build momentum and class unity, to have Parsons and Fields out there as free agents was extremely disruptive.

I'd like to see them grab a quarterback early, but I think we'll see a much slower build up to the next class. Won't be any pressure from JF to commit early.

I think with the way things went down with Fields and Parsons, JF is going to stress to the 2019 recruits "TAKE ALL YOUR VISITS"...once you commit, you have to shut it down. It ended up not harming the class, luckily, but when we were trying to build momentum and class unity, to have Parsons and Fields out there as free agents was extremely disruptive.

I'd like to see them grab a quarterback early, but I think we'll see a much slower build up to the next class. Won't be any pressure from JF to commit early.

Valid points ... will be interesting to see how this class unfolds and how quickly recruits jump on board or take their time.

Who is PSU first for 2019?

Valid points ... will be interesting to see how this class unfolds and how quickly recruits jump on board or take their time.
That said I would guess Wallace or Hawkins. Or Ellis

Yes, great point. The PSU program does not need to BUILD momentum, it HAS momentum.

Yes, great point. The PSU program does not need to BUILD momentum, it HAS momentum.

One other big change is now these recruits can take official visits during the spring. Very helpful rule for PSU, imo. No reason for recruits to hold out for the fall to wait to be able to take their official visits.

Official Visits Can Be Made April-June
Prospects can now take official visits during their junior year. The visit must occur between April and June.

Pros: Cannot afford to take long trips? This remedies that and also accelerates the process for kids and programs. Prospects will get an in-depth look at programs, and will not need to spend their own money to jet set around the country. It gives the players a longer recruiting window to make a more informed decision, and cuts down on programs asking coaches/handlers to load up a van to get kids to campus on a weekend. Schools will learn more about a player and his fit into its program.

One other big change is now these recruits can take official visits during the spring. Very helpful rule for PSU, imo. No reason for recruits to hold out for the fall to wait to be able to take their official visits.

Official Visits Can Be Made April-June
Prospects can now take official visits during their junior year. The visit must occur between April and June.

Pros: Cannot afford to take long trips? This remedies that and also accelerates the process for kids and programs. Prospects will get an in-depth look at programs, and will not need to spend their own money to jet set around the country. It gives the players a longer recruiting window to make a more informed decision, and cuts down on programs asking coaches/handlers to load up a van to get kids to campus on a weekend. Schools will learn more about a player and his fit into its program.
Nicer weather compared to December or January, that is a great benefit for us.

#25 Overall on the Rivals Top 100, Michigan OT who mentions PSU first here. Isn't in communication with Michigan. That staff has a habit of dropping the ball: mail screwups, name screwups, thanking kids for visits they didn't make, etc.

Dobbs visited PSU in late July and said "I think Penn State would be a great fit for me. It truly is a great place to be." He'll be back for a game this fall.

Rivals released their first numerical Rivals100 for the 2019 class and it features a healthy number of Michigan targets. Belleville OT Devontae Dobbs (#25 overall) narrowly edged recently offered East Kentwood OT Logan Brown (#28) for top prospect in the state.

Speaking of which, the song remains the same when it comes to Dobbs. He told TMI's Josh Newkirk that he's not currently in contact with the coaches:

“Lately I’ve been talking to Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, Auburn, Alabama, and Georgia,” Dobbs said.

One prominent school missing from Dobbs’ list is Michigan, as he explains his interest in the Wolverines is trending in the wrong direction.

“If they show interest then I’ll show interest back,” Dobbs said. “I’ll still consider them, but right now at the moment there is no communication between us.”

#25 Overall on the Rivals Top 100, Michigan OT who mentions PSU first here. Isn't in communication with Michigan. That staff has a habit of dropping the ball: mail screwups, name screwups, thanking kids for visits they didn't make, etc.

Dobbs visited PSU in late July and said "I think Penn State would be a great fit for me. It truly is a great place to be." He'll be back for a game this fall.

Rivals released their first numerical Rivals100 for the 2019 class and it features a healthy number of Michigan targets. Belleville OT Devontae Dobbs (#25 overall) narrowly edged recently offered East Kentwood OT Logan Brown (#28) for top prospect in the state.

Speaking of which, the song remains the same when it comes to Dobbs. He told TMI's Josh Newkirk that he's not currently in contact with the coaches:

“Lately I’ve been talking to Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, Auburn, Alabama, and Georgia,” Dobbs said.

One prominent school missing from Dobbs’ list is Michigan, as he explains his interest in the Wolverines is trending in the wrong direction.

“If they show interest then I’ll show interest back,” Dobbs said. “I’ll still consider them, but right now at the moment there is no communication between us.”

They are doing beyond fine for 2019. They have bigger priorities in 2019

Always nice to have a Michigan guy stop in to set us straight. They will likely continue their great recruiting and mediocre results.

I wonder if a third straight 3rd place finish in the Big Ten East will make any of their recruits reconsider?

Reactions: bmw199
This would be taking it to Ohio State right in their backyard. Top ranked player in Ohio, Scouts #15 overall.

http://scout.com/college/penn-state/Article/Ohios-Top-Junior-Ready-For-Season-To-Begin-105934261

Even though Harrison has put his recruitment on the back burner for now, he has visited such schools as Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Penn State.

"I was at Ohio State for their Friday Night Lights camp, although I didn't work out," he explained. "The atmosphere was cool, and I liked it. I talked to Coach (Urban) Meyer, but it wasn't high pressure and he mostly asked about my family. Most of the schools I like are recruiting me like that, on more of a personal level."

"I saw Penn State for their Lasch Bash weekend, and I want to go back there for a game," Harrison said. "I really liked it there, and I have a good relationship with (assistant coach) Terry Smith. I also spoke to Coach (James) Franklin, and I like him a lot."

From a Scout writer last month:

During the 7-on-7 and afterwards I talked to a couple of different sources. I was told not to discount Penn State in Harrison’s recruitment. I was told he really liked it when he had been to Penn State. I was also told Harrison wears Penn State gear to school at times and gets kidded by Orange staff members that he should only be wearing Ohio State garb.

Would love for this kid to jump into our 2019 class

Fitz raved about him on podcast today. Said he almost expects him to take the Fields like trajectory ... tall/big/fast with a strong arm ... believe he ran a 4.5 40... has camped twice at PSU already so PSU seems in early and the kid really likes PSU

1314959189_george_clooney__soon.gif

Soon....

State High’s Keaton Ellis updates Penn State recruitment, scholarship offer

By Josh Moyer
August 14, 2017 7:25 PM

State College junior Keaton Ellis is one of the most electric athletes in the county — the 6-foot two-way player runs a 4.39-second 40 — and received a scholarship offer from Penn State about two months ago to play football.

Ellis is the first State College player to receive an offer since 2010, when four-star wideout Alex Kenney committed to the Nittany Lions.

We recently caught up with Ellis to discuss Penn State, his recruitment and his favorite position. Take a look:

Q: You wear a lot of hats with the Little Lions. Colleges are mostly recruiting you at defensive back, but your coach also wants to get the ball in your hands more on offense. So let me ask you: What exactly is your favorite position to play?

A: DB. I’m good at DB. I’m good at wideout, too, but preference? I’d say DB, but I love to play any position. ... I love the challenge. Every play, it’s tough because you have to react, and I love reacting. Wideout, yeah, you know the route; you know what to do, and you do it. But, DB, you have to react to the other person — and it’s fun for me. And I really enjoy it.

Q: You have three scholarship offers already from Penn State, Buffalo and Syracuse. Can you update us a little bit on where your recruitment stands, and maybe what’s been new with the hometown school here?

A: So, right now, it’s kind of (quieted) because it’s a dead period right now, so I haven’t really gotten in contact with any coaches. But I’m hoping to take a visit up there soon with me and my family and the coaches — just to make sure all the boxes are checked off and to get a connection with the coaching staff and build a relationship there.

Q: When we first talked, shortly after you earned that Penn State scholarship, you called it “a dream come true.” Obviously, you’ve still got plenty of time here, but I’ve got to ask: Why not commit right away? Is there anything you need to see first?

A: At this point, I want to make the right decision. So I feel like if I don’t look at a certain thing, I won’t know what’s there. So I’m still trying to keep my options open. But I got a great opportunity here at Penn State, and I’m really excited about that. And I want to explore that, too.

Q: What is it about Penn State, specifically, that has your interest?

A: It’s a family program. I love the culture there; I love the culture there. I feel at home, obviously. I love it up there.

Q: So, ideally, when would you like to commit to a school? Is that something you’d like to wait to do until late your senior year, or is this something that could be on its way?

A: I’m still thinking about it. But soon. I’m not trying to take too long of a time with this process. Before, or maybe after, the season.

Q: So you’re not a guy who’s going to wait until National Signing Day then?

A: (laughs) Nah, no. But it should be coming soon. So, yeah, I’m excited.

Reactions: T J and TheGLOV
Fitz raved about him on podcast today. Said he almost expects him to take the Fields like trajectory ... tall/big/fast with a strong arm ... believe he ran a 4.5 40... has camped twice at PSU already so PSU seems in early and the kid really likes PSU
Love your picture of the " Daytona Coupe". When I was 12 I wrote Carroll Shelby and he sent me a photo of both himself (autographed) and the Daytona Coupe.....still have it.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bwifan
Thank You... It's my uncle on the far right that drove the Shelby Cobra's with fellow driver Dave MacDonald...
Bob Holbert ? Is that correct ? It was the golden age of sports car racing. I , along with 4 other PSU classmates, were at the 500 when Dave MacDonald was killed.

1314959189_george_clooney__soon.gif

Soon....

State High’s Keaton Ellis updates Penn State recruitment, scholarship offer

By Josh Moyer
August 14, 2017 7:25 PM

State College junior Keaton Ellis is one of the most electric athletes in the county — the 6-foot two-way player runs a 4.39-second 40 — and received a scholarship offer from Penn State about two months ago to play football.

Ellis is the first State College player to receive an offer since 2010, when four-star wideout Alex Kenney committed to the Nittany Lions.

We recently caught up with Ellis to discuss Penn State, his recruitment and his favorite position. Take a look:

Q: You wear a lot of hats with the Little Lions. Colleges are mostly recruiting you at defensive back, but your coach also wants to get the ball in your hands more on offense. So let me ask you: What exactly is your favorite position to play?

A: DB. I’m good at DB. I’m good at wideout, too, but preference? I’d say DB, but I love to play any position. ... I love the challenge. Every play, it’s tough because you have to react, and I love reacting. Wideout, yeah, you know the route; you know what to do, and you do it. But, DB, you have to react to the other person — and it’s fun for me. And I really enjoy it.

Q: You have three scholarship offers already from Penn State, Buffalo and Syracuse. Can you update us a little bit on where your recruitment stands, and maybe what’s been new with the hometown school here?

A: So, right now, it’s kind of (quieted) because it’s a dead period right now, so I haven’t really gotten in contact with any coaches. But I’m hoping to take a visit up there soon with me and my family and the coaches — just to make sure all the boxes are checked off and to get a connection with the coaching staff and build a relationship there.

Q: When we first talked, shortly after you earned that Penn State scholarship, you called it “a dream come true.” Obviously, you’ve still got plenty of time here, but I’ve got to ask: Why not commit right away? Is there anything you need to see first?

A: At this point, I want to make the right decision. So I feel like if I don’t look at a certain thing, I won’t know what’s there. So I’m still trying to keep my options open. But I got a great opportunity here at Penn State, and I’m really excited about that. And I want to explore that, too.

Q: What is it about Penn State, specifically, that has your interest?

A: It’s a family program. I love the culture there; I love the culture there. I feel at home, obviously. I love it up there.

Q: So, ideally, when would you like to commit to a school? Is that something you’d like to wait to do until late your senior year, or is this something that could be on its way?

A: I’m still thinking about it. But soon. I’m not trying to take too long of a time with this process. Before, or maybe after, the season.

Q: So you’re not a guy who’s going to wait until National Signing Day then?

A: (laughs) Nah, no. But it should be coming soon. So, yeah, I’m excited.
Seems right that a local lad would be the first to commit.

The talent we are accumulating on the back end of the defense is just scary. It's truly going to be a no fly zone.

The Nittany Lions extended several scholarship offers to New England-area underclassmen earlier this month. Lewis Cine, a rising junior at Everett (Mass.) High, landed one Aug. 2 and plans to reciprocate the interest by visiting Beaver Stadium this season.

The 6-2, 180-pound prospect told Land of 10 he will “definitely” return to Penn State for a game. Cine attended a camp July 16 in Happy Valley, which he said is “right around the corner” despite a drive that requires more than 400 miles on the road.

Though the 4-star defensive back isn’t sure which game he’ll attend, Cine expressed confidence about making it happen. Considered the No. 5 safety and No. 58 overall recruit in 247Sports’ 2019 composite rankings, his first trip to campus created a very positive impression.

“I was blown away by it, he said. “It was an all-business camp and then the coaches took me around campus and showed me a lot. The area is kind of a small spot, but I like the fact that it’s its own city.”

Cine worked under the direction of Penn State assistants Tim Banks (safeties) and Terry Smith (cornerbacks) throughout the event. He appreciated extra attention from both as he toured facilities.

“It showed me they really didn’t just want me to come to camp and show what I can do as a player,” Cine said. “They wanted to get to know me as a person and showed me hospitality, which I really appreciated.”

The Nittany Lions see him at free safety, handing duties deep in the defensive attack. Cine primarily plays safety for Everett, though some college programs have mentioned cornerback as a possibility.

“I have a lot of range and can run from sideline to sideline with ease,” he said. “I’m a ballhawk. I’m not afraid to hit at all because I love the contact and being physical. I cherish being the last defense on the field if someone gets past the front line and our linebackers.”

Cine waited more than two weeks between his performance at camp and the arrival of a Penn State scholarship offer. Still, when he was told to call Banks on Aug. 2, it certainly didn’t come as a surprise.

“The coaches told me after camp they just needed to check my highlights as a defensive staff, but to have no worries because I was definitely getting an offer,” Cine said. “Even though I knew it was coming, I was still ecstatic when that phone call actually happened.”

Wisconsin offered one day later, joining a recruitment that already includes nearly 20 universities. Florida, Louisville, Michigan, Notre Dame and Tennessee are among other early suitors.

Cine has stayed busy on the college circuit, traveling to Florida, Florida State, Indiana, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Penn State. The Nittany Lions will face considerable competition throughout the next two seasons in an effort to add this dynamic defender.

Cine, who moved to Massachusetts from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., when he was 10, is considered the state’s No. 1 2019 prospect. Penn State holds a pledge from Massachusetts’ No. 1 2018 recruit: 4-star tight end Pat Freiermuth.

The Nittany Lions are off to a strong start with Cine, and a game-day visit could help ensure Penn State remains in the long-distance picture for his pledge.

“The coaches treated me like family,” he said. “They kept it honest and you can’t ask for anything better than that. They told me what they see me doing on defense, how I could contribute and what my commitment would mean for their 2019 class

Reactions: artsandletters
The talent we are accumulating on the back end of the defense is just scary. It's truly going to be a no fly zone.
Agree; it's an interesting thing to watch. Even in Joe's best days, PSU did not seem to get many high-end Defensive Backs, certainly guys who were solid and could hit hard, but not many NFL prospects.

Reactions: TheGLOV

It's probobly not a coincidence that Alabama gets a good bit or their class to verbal later, towards signing day

ADVERTISEMENT