ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

When did Porter jump to #1 in the state? His rise has been meteoric.

I admittedly am far, far from a big time scout, but this is astonishing. I saw PR play early last year and didn't even know he was on the field. I don't think I even heard his name called.

Now I wasn't a math major, but obviously all the 5th year players having already used their redshirt will have used up their eligibility after 2018 - all 9 of them. And then you add Cooper, who you said as a 4th year player in his last year. And that gets the base openings to 10 that are out of eligibility after the 2018 season, if your base numbers are correct.
http://www.jimspennstatefootball.webs.com/PSUSchols.html

Reactions: GregInPitt

It's that the math starts at 87...... 8 as of now.... Got it!!

But when CJF gets down to the 85 entering the season, if the 2 that are not included from that list are not among the 9 RS SR's or Cooper, then it will be 10 openings from that 85 scholarship roster after the 2018 season. If other RS SR players are not coming back for 2018, it would have made sense that they would have already announced that before now, either to the NFL early, hanging it up due to injury, or grad transfer.

Edit: Looks like the roster is down to 86 scholarship players for 2018 as Robert Martin, who still seemed way too light to make an impact, was removed from the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdgan

I admittedly am far, far from a big time scout, but this is astonishing. I saw PR play early last year and didn't even know he was on the field. I don't think I even heard his name called.
His name wouldn't have been called for PR since he plays for North Allegheny.

Someone has to be #1. This is a historically weak year in Pennsylvania for HS recruits who are seniors. He is undoubtedly a fine player, but I can’t remember a time in the last two decades where he would have been considered anywhere near the “best” in PA.

Someone has to be #1. This is a historically weak year in Pennsylvania for HS recruits who are seniors. He is undoubtedly a fine player, but I can’t remember a time in the last two decades where he would have been considered anywhere near the “best” in PA.

The "down year in PA" theme has been put out since the first evaluations of the 2019 class were made. But it's interesting that there are some "low rated" recruits that have offers and some actually committed this early in the process to pretty good programs.

Maguire, just a consensus solid 3 star committed to Clemson

White, still rated as a mid 3 star (.85 on 247 composite) with offers from many big programs coast to coast (USC, PSU, MSU, UCLA) committed to TAM

Porter, still a high 3 star on the 247 composite even though his Pappy had to impact him getting some early evaluations, having offers from PSU, Miami, LSU, Nebraska, and others

It does seem like a down year, in that there is no Miles Sanders, no Parsons, no Wade, that were high 4 star players killing it on the camp circuit and on the field as SO's and JR's. And if CJF has found players he believes are better at his priority positions such that he has offered a very limited number of PA players, then that speaks against the 2019 PA class as well. And oh-high-ya does not seem to be pursuing a select few PA players that they normally would be. But some of these players seem like late bloomers, But is it as down as advertised? We won't really know for a few years.

The "down year in PA" theme has been put out since the first evaluations of the 2019 class were made. But it's interesting that there are some "low rated" recruits that have offers and some actually committed this early in the process to pretty good programs.

Maguire, just a consensus solid 3 star committed to Clemson

White, still rated as a mid 3 star (.85 on 247 composite) with offers from many big programs coast to coast (USC, PSU, MSU, UCLA) committed to TAM

Porter, still a high 3 star on the 247 composite even though his Pappy had to impact him getting some early evaluations, having offers from PSU, Miami, LSU, Nebraska, and others

It does seem like a down year, in that there is no Miles Sanders, no Parsons, no Wade, that were high 4 star players killing it on the camp circuit and on the field as SO's and JR's. And if CJF has found players he believes are better at his priority positions such that he has offered a very limited number of PA players, then that speaks against the 2019 PA class as well. And oh-high-ya does not seem to be pursuing a select few PA players that they normally would be. But some of these players seem like late bloomers, But is it as down as advertised? We won't really know for a few years.

I have not seen Porter play. White is... meh... a good HS player. Nowhere close to Parsons. Same with Maguire. He looks good, but doesn’t pop in person. The number one recruit in a state like Pennsylvania is usually a kid with offers from everyone. Porter obviously has an NFL pedigree and PSU has done a really good job pulling those kinds of kids lately (Culpeper, Hawkins etc), but there is a reason PSU did not offer him early.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Cleveland.com article

MASSILLON, Ohio -- Zach Harrison disappeared somewhere into the far northwest corner of Paul Brown Stadium at Massillon High School. He had finished his drills at the Ohio regional for Nike's The Opening camp last Saturday. He was unsurprisingly one of the top defensive line performers there. Then a camp staffer took him down to the other end of the field, around the corner and out of sight.

The assumption was that would be the last anyone saw of Harrison that day.

For a guy who's 6-foot-6 and 245 pounds, Harrison has a remarkable knack for hiding. If the gates that led out of that side of the stadium weren't locked, Harrison likely would have strolled out without having to answer any questions about his recruitment, where things stand with his top schools and if he's close to making a decision.

In a way he was trapped. So he was polite enough to provide an update to a group of waiting reporters. A rare occurrence for a player who's managed to keep such things almost totally under wraps despite being the No. 3 overall player in the 2019 recruiting class.

Stepping back in time like that wasn't easy for every program that showed up trying to recruit Harrison, and some fell by the wayside because of that.

The list of programs that figured it out is short. It includes Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and Clemson -- but mostly those first three. Harrison took an official visit to Penn State last month, and said he plans on taking officials to Ohio State and Michigan soon. He thinks maybe he'll make a decision on his birthday, August 14, but only if he's ready.

Harrison also runs track at Orange. Not because he's particularly passionate about track, mostly because he likes the coach and it's another way to be around friends. The time of 21.55 seconds he posted in the 200-meter dash during a meet last month is the second-best time in the state, per athletic.net.

"Yeah that's not normal," Schroeder said. "There are some world-class sprinters out there who are tall. But to have the muscle mass, the weight that he does. I think there are some good sprinters who are 6-foot-3, 190 pounds. But to be 245 pounds, I think that's really rare."

So yeah, Zach, people are interested in where you're going to school. You could probably find an Ohio State fan or two willing to carry you the 15 miles from Lewis Center to Columbus if they knew that meant you'd be a Buckeye.

But nobody outside of Harrison's small circle, which doesn't extend much further out than his own house, has a feel for where Harrison is leaning. That's by design, and assumptions that the local kid will simply pick Ohio State are bothersome. Penn State has always been a real player in his recruitment, and the Nittany Lions are a threat to the Buckeyes. Michigan is too.

he Nittany Lions are a threat to the Buckeyes. Michigan is too.
I can honestly say Zach likes Spencer, Pry and Franklin. Franklin has a very good relationship with Zach's mother.
Michigan came on late, but seems to be a player now.
His coach says, just as the article did, Zach keeps things very very close to himself. Penn State coaches Pry and Spencer due to be in Liberty Township this week. Closely followed by UM and ohowIhate.
One thing for certain, Zach Harrison loves ice cream and loves the Creamery. He won't get that at those other schools!

:cool:

OL

Rudolph is committing May 21st. Interesting.

Same day as Brandon Smith. And obviously not taking his official to Michigan.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:
The leash is long at Michigan, for now, but he's still under the microscope quite a bit. The problem with failing at Michigan is that it's personal. He was viewed as the guy who came back home to get the train back on the rails. If he bolts on that, whenever he comes home as an esteemed Michigan Man to wave his arms in the end zone, like they do all the time, it will be a bit uncomfortable, I would think. People will never look at him quite the same.

If Jimmy doesn't get it done, he will have given up a lot. In retrospect he was probably nuts to take that job.
No question Jimmy is Nuts!

Add Cam'Ron Kelly to the list of dominoes rapidly falling. He's committing soon as well.
The CBs for Rodas Johnson are interesting too, wouldn't it be perfect timing if one Columbus defensive lineman committed at the same time as Pry and Chaos visit another one?

Also, Wilson and Rudolph have seemingly been signaling they want to play together, so will be interesting to follow Wilson in coming days.

Last edited:
Reactions: lionville
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT