ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Johnson is pretty tight with LJ and was hoping an offer was forthcoming from OSU in March. Hopefully he views the lack of a OSU offer as a slight and does verbal with PSU, but like Smith last year, this may be far from over.

If LJ retires to State College Johnson can visit him there regularly the next 4 or 5 years....

Ohio State took a whole bunch of DTs last year. I'd be surprised if they offered Johnson. Although maybe they offer late if it looks like he's coming to Penn State. We factor into their calculations on offer timing often.

So did CJF/PSU. When the (3) 2018 class DT's arrive, the PSU roster will have 8 DT's with FR or SO eligibility (Shelton, Jordan, Bolds Barber, Hansard, Mustipher, Hawkins and Culpepper), RS Junior starters, and no scholarship Senior DT's. CJF could get away with 1 DT in the 2019 class, especially if he likes what he sees from the true freshmen during summer S&C sessions and Fall camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Also, he had this interesting tidbit in a recent article on 247's front page. This is in the context of teams that have had slow recruiting starts but are surely due to climb the rankings in the coming weeks.

“With Penn State and USC, they’re going to get hot,” Wiltfong said. “You know they are. I mean, I crystal balled the No. 2 linebacker in the country, Brandon Smith, to them Wednesday. They’re going to get Devyn Ford, the blue chip running back. James Franklin just had his first ever top 5 class at Penn State. They damned near missed the playoff the last two years. They’re going to make their move.”

Link to the whole article.
Someone else's opinion regarding Ford ...

https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/Board/59428/Contents/Latest-on-Ford-118139637

Reactions: TheGLOV
Maybe if Sanders has a great year in ‘18 he goes pro....
IMO, even if Sanders has a decent year he should make the jump. He has the potential to be a very good back, but I don’t think he’s ever going to have the freakish physical measurables that pushed Barkley into the top 5 - Sanders’ ceiling in the draft is going to be similar whether he leaves this year or next year, so why not get paid to absorb the carries that he’ll get in 2019 either at Penn State or in the pros?

IMO, even if Sanders has a decent year he should make the jump. He has the potential to be a very good back, but I don’t think he’s ever going to have the freakish physical measurables that pushed Barkley into the top 5 - Sanders’ ceiling in the draft is going to be similar whether he leaves this year or next year, so why not get paid to absorb the carries that he’ll get in 2019 either at Penn State or in the pros?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very high on Sanders. I saw him play as a Junior in H.S. and he was a man among boys at what was at that time the highest PA football class. But right now he has virtually no resume for the NFL. Even one decent year likely won't get him big bucks. Sanders may not even get enough carries this year to put up 1,200 yards, what some would consider the low end for a premier college back, and what would get the attention of the NFL. There are a couple of Seniors (Allen and Thomas) that CJF will likely try and work in some, as well as the two young backs that include the 5 star Slade. With the short NFL careers that many RB's have, there is much to be gained by being a higher draft choice and getting a big rookie contract, as opposed to being a late round pick and not having a chance to get a big contract for 3 or 4 years when an injury may have diminished a RB's value.....

Just lots of unknowns. Sanders has a long way to go to build a resume, and a long way to go before he may even consider leaving after 2018.

But it seems that with Slade on the roster, and then if CJF gets Ford coming in for 2019, Sanders would also have to have some concern about getting the carries in 2019 as well. Who knows at this point.....

So with T. Stevens coming back for two (?) more years, only taking one quarterback this year is likely.
What positional spread do we see for this class... 19 players maybe ??

So with T. Stevens coming back for two (?) more years, only taking one quarterback this year is likely.
What positional spread do we see for this class... 19 players maybe ??

Not sure TS coming back will impact taking a 2nd QB in the 2019 class. Who knows, but CJF & Co. have reportedly still been evaluating additional 2019 class QB's even with 1 committed and it being known TS is coming back.

My guess:

QB - 1/2 (Can the staff find a 2nd QB at this point in the class process? It seems the staff is still making evaluations to try for a 2nd QB)
RB - 2 (losing Thomas and Allen and some believe Sanders, I see 2 RB's in this class, unless they have promised Ford he will be the only one)
WR - 2 (every class likely to have 2+ WR's but 2019 seems like the year CJF loads up again)
TE - 1 (staff will be selective and only take a very good TE)
OL - 3/4 (big hauls of good looking OL recruits in last 2 classes, but at least 3 here)
DB - 4/5 (it seems that CJF has gone after big numbers at S and CB for the 2019 class, with lots of mutual interest...)
LB - 2 (6 freshmen or RS freshmen on roster)
DE - 2 (only 1 in the 2018 class)
DT - 1 (lots of young talent at DT on roster - going into 2018 Fall practice there will be 7 with FR or SO eligibility that CJF will evaluate)

That's around 19. Maybe another DT or LB if they are too good to pass on .....

Some believe that every class will have 4+ OLinemen. But with all the young talent, if CJF is in deed impressed with Thorpe, Miranda and others, and once he gets the 2018 OL class on campus, who knows. I believe that when it comes down to the last few "takes" in each class, the evaluations of the previous class during the Summer S&C, Fall camp, and scout team performance influence where CJF prioritizes positions. So if the two stud OT's come in, adjust to accedemics well, perform in Fall camp,.... along with Fries, Gellerstadt, and others, CJF could change his strategy on taking true OT's in the class. But again, who knows.....

EDIT: I'll revise my guess to 4 OL in the 2019 class, with the 5/14 roster update that shows that swing Olineman (G/OT) Robbie Martin is no longer on the team......

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w and eidolon21
Don't get me wrong, I'm very high on Sanders. I saw him play as a Junior in H.S. and he was a man among boys at what was at that time the highest PA football class. But right now he has virtually no resume for the NFL. Even one decent year likely won't get him big bucks. Sanders may not even get enough carries this year to put up 1,200 yards, what some would consider the low end for a premier college back, and what would get the attention of the NFL.

Times are changing. NFL teams have learned that especially for running backs, youth isn't a problem, it's an advantage to hire a pair of legs that doesn't have too much mileage.

If Sanders knocks it out of the park, stays healthy, holds onto the ball, shows he can block and catch passes, he's definitely an NFL prospect next spring.

Most likely though is that he'll be good this year but have room to be a lot better in 2019. I think if they're projected 3rd round or later, and have room to grow, it often makes sense to stay a year.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I can't imagine Zembiec sticking around for too much longer. From a roster standpoint, the staff may be looking for a second QB in this class to align with the numbers they like to keep at the position if Zembiec were to transfer.

We heard some positive things about him this spring but there just seems to be too much talent in front of him to overcome. (Stevens, Clifford)

All speculation on my part though.

Reactions: OhioLion
Times are changing. NFL teams have learned that especially for running backs, youth isn't a problem, it's an advantage to hire a pair of legs that doesn't have too much mileage.

If Sanders knocks it out of the park, stays healthy, holds onto the ball, shows he can block and catch passes, he's definitely an NFL prospect next spring.

Most likely though is that he'll be good this year but have room to be a lot better in 2019. I think if they're projected 3rd round or later, and have room to grow, it often makes sense to stay a year.

I agree with all your points. The last one, regarding the projected round of a college payer into the draft, seems to be a bigger consideration now with the current player/owner contract and what is basically a wage scale. And with the short careers many RB's have, they don't all even get to a big money potential contract.

I believe so.....

And, as of last week, there were - IIRC - 77 guys on the roster who have 2019 eligibility....... meaning 8 spots available for the next class of signees.

Obviously, there will be a lot of openings created between now and then - I think there are about 17 guys who would be potential 5th year guys in 2019, and I wouldn't expect that more than a dozen or so would actually be back...... but you never know.
One way or the other, I would have to expect the final number will end up in the upper teens (for 2019 signees).

Is PSU still over the limit WRT the class entering this Summer/Fall?

8 crystal balls now in for Rodas Johnson, 4* DT out of Ohio, to Penn State. 100% PSU on the CBs. Offers from Penn State, Florida, Notre Dame, Michigan, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, etc.

DbaIj8LX4AEddFy.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT