ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

I was looking at the 247 top 100 and it appears to be a tough cycle for Franklin and staff. No PA kids and only a handful in the NE and Mid Atlantic states. Even typically good states like NJ and VA only have a couple kids.

I was looking at the 247 top 100 and it appears to be a tough cycle for Franklin and staff. No PA kids and only a handful in the NE and Mid Atlantic states. Even typically good states like NJ and VA only have a couple kids.
Yeah, the talk has been that both 19 and 20 are down years for the region.

Yeah, the talk has been that both 19 and 20 are down years for the region.

True but as long as he keeps the inroads with schools like Dematha and Paramus, they will be fine. That will get them the best of the mid atlantic plus top 100 now doesnt mean as much. Look at Barkley's ranking early on.

ESPN has spent a lot of money convincing the CFB world that the only real football players are in the South. It seems to be paying off. I'll take the PA and NJ players all day and win.

You should be very excited about Alfano and Lee. Those are the top 2 targets and Alfano is a 5*. Add in a host of other 4* guys in Jersey, Hawkins, Wallace, Olmstead. We will be fine.

Reactions: TheGLOV
SIAP, but I didn't see anything about this kid.

BEAVERTON, Ore. — 247Sports was on-site for The Opening Finals and Lewis Center (Ohio) Olentangy five-star defensive end Zach Harrison, only a class of 2019 recruit, more than showed he can compete at the highest level this past week.

The 6-6, 240-pounder is still raw in some areas, but he looks more than deserving of his early ranking on 247Sports as the No. 3 overall player in the 2019 class.

Harrison, the nation's No. 2 weak-side defensive end, holds offers from Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Alabama, and many others across the country.

I'll admit, the only reason I know about him is because his head coach was a player for us when I coached. This would have been late 1990's.

Coach Schroeder sent me a picture of him with Coach Spencer and Coach Pry who were at the high school visiting this past spring. Unfortunately, Lewis Center Olentangy is about 20 minutes north of ohowIhate's campus.

OL

Reactions: Bob78 and bmw199
Class of 2019 visitors

Penn State will be hosting its fair share of underclassmen this weekend, as well, and the list is headlined by a few familiar faces and some new ones.

Repeat visitor Nyquee Hawkins, a four-star from Orange, N.J., confirmed to PennLive that he will be back on campus to "chill with the coaches," on an unofficial visit this weekend. He is a four-star corner with 18 offers and is one of the Mid-Atlantic's best prospects in the next cycle.

nyquee-hawknsjpg-c446c138e3ef25a8.jpg

Penn State head coach James Franklin greets recruit Nyquee Hawkins during the annual Blue-White game at Beaver Stadium on April 22, 2017. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Other names of note include, and this is the part of the list that will likely grow the most over the next few weeks, include Mineral, Va., four-star end Brandon Smith, Oakton, Va., back Jordan Houston (Per Rivals) Princeton, N.J. offensive lineman Caedan Wallace, Dallas, Tex., back Andrew Henry, and potentially Metuchen, N.J., four-star tackle John Olmstead, though his visit is up in the air due to travel complications.

It's also worth noting in the Class of 2020 that offered wide receiver and Southern Columbia sophomore Julian Fleming has also confirmed his trip.

Fleming was 1st offered by Meatchicken. He is a stud athlete, good basketball player also. Nice to see he is attending.

7. QB target Garrett Shrader looks every bit the part of a blue-chip prospect
Penn State provided 2019 quarterback Garrett Shrader with an offer last month. He reciprocated that interest with a trip to Happy Valley this past weekend, and validated early hype by piecing together an impressive effort throughout Sunday camp drills.

A 6-5, 190-pound passer from Charlotte (N.C) Christian School, he delivered darts throughout the afternoon. His accuracy on tosses toward the boundary particularly stood out, as he hit receivers in stride with precision and zip.

View image on Twitter
DE4QtsgVwAAnF5H.jpg:small

Follow
Tyler Donohue

✔@TDsTake

2019 Penn State QB target @GarrettShrader6 receives some notes from offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead.

Nittany Lions offered in June.

3:11 PM - 16 Jul 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Shrader completed 65 percent of pass attempts as a sophomore, per MaxPreps, en route to 2,564 yards and 29 touchdowns in 12 games. He added 615 yards and 5 scores on the ground.

His 35 total touchdowns look even better when matched with just 4 interceptions on 320 tosses. Louisville, Pittsburgh and South Carolina are among other programs that have offered him midway through high school, and I fully expect Shrader to become a heavily-pursued prospect at the national level.

8. 4-star LB Brandon Smith brought a huge crew to Lasch Bash
Brandon Smith, a 6-5, 215-pound edge rusher from Virginia, figures to be a fixture near the top of Penn State’s 2019 target list. More than a dozen college visits this summer have helped increase his exposure, and an impressive offer list now features Florida State, Notre Dame and Ohio State.

The Nittany Lions offered him during an April visit, and he returned to Happy Valley for a third time this past weekend. Smith, who attends Louisa County (Mineral, Va.) High, made the trip with an expansive collection of family members.

He was joined by his parents, grandparents, younger brother and two uncles. The group participated in Lasch Bash festivities, and everyone aside from his grandparents returned Sunday for camp action.

Smith, whose unique length and closing speed stood out, is confident the experience helped his family view Happy Valley with plenty of positivity.

“They got a chance to see what I like so much about PSU,” he told Land of 10.

His father, Rico Smith, confirmed this sentiment. He anticipates Penn State will land on Brandon’s “short list” as this recruitment progresses, and an official visit next year is already anticipated.

View image on Twitter
DE4qG8NV0AAcxEu.jpg:small

Follow
Tyler Donohue

✔@TDsTake

The family of 2019 LB target Brandon Smith takes a spin in James Franklin's cart during #PSU camp.

5:02 PM - 16 Jul 2017

9. Still searching for first 2019 pledge, but many pieces are in motion
Penn State doesn’t carry a commitment in the 2019 recruiting cycle yet, but as I alluded to with Smith, things are trending in the right direction. The Nittany Lions welcomed several members of the class to campus for these final summer camps and the Lasch Bash.

Jordan Houston, a running back who received an offer from Penn State last summer, told Land of 10 it was his best visit to campus so far. He participated in the Friday night camp, along with receiver Jeffery Carter of Texas, who received an offer that evening.

Keaton Ellis, a local State College standout, looked extremely athletic during drills at that camp. Considering his proximity to the program and the fact that his father played for the Nittany Lions, he could be the first recruit to jump on board.

Top-10 cornerback recruit Nyquee Hawkins, who told Land of 10 that Penn State feels like “family”, is another one to watch closely. He has an alpha mentality and would provide leadership if he joins Penn State as an early pledge.

Follow
Lamont Wade

✔@Goony_38

Man let's get this 2019 class rolling now
1f608.png

5:47 PM - 16 Jul 2017

Along with Carter, other 2019 prospects who picked up a Penn State offer on campus include WR/DB John Metchie of Maryland and QB Taquan Roberson of New Jersey.

7. QB target Garrett Shrader looks every bit the part of a blue-chip prospect
Penn State provided 2019 quarterback Garrett Shrader with an offer last month. He reciprocated that interest with a trip to Happy Valley this past weekend, and validated early hype by piecing together an impressive effort throughout Sunday camp drills.

A 6-5, 190-pound passer from Charlotte (N.C) Christian School, he delivered darts throughout the afternoon. His accuracy on tosses toward the boundary particularly stood out, as he hit receivers in stride with precision and zip.

View image on Twitter
DE4QtsgVwAAnF5H.jpg:small

Follow
Tyler Donohue

✔@TDsTake

2019 Penn State QB target @GarrettShrader6 receives some notes from offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead.

Nittany Lions offered in June.

3:11 PM - 16 Jul 2017

Shrader completed 65 percent of pass attempts as a sophomore, per MaxPreps, en route to 2,564 yards and 29 touchdowns in 12 games. He added 615 yards and 5 scores on the ground.

His 35 total touchdowns look even better when matched with just 4 interceptions on 320 tosses. Louisville, Pittsburgh and South Carolina are among other programs that have offered him midway through high school, and I fully expect Shrader to become a heavily-pursued prospect at the national level.

8. 4-star LB Brandon Smith brought a huge crew to Lasch Bash
Brandon Smith, a 6-5, 215-pound edge rusher from Virginia, figures to be a fixture near the top of Penn State’s 2019 target list. More than a dozen college visits this summer have helped increase his exposure, and an impressive offer list now features Florida State, Notre Dame and Ohio State.

The Nittany Lions offered him during an April visit, and he returned to Happy Valley for a third time this past weekend. Smith, who attends Louisa County (Mineral, Va.) High, made the trip with an expansive collection of family members.

He was joined by his parents, grandparents, younger brother and two uncles. The group participated in Lasch Bash festivities, and everyone aside from his grandparents returned Sunday for camp action.

Smith, whose unique length and closing speed stood out, is confident the experience helped his family view Happy Valley with plenty of positivity.

“They got a chance to see what I like so much about PSU,” he told Land of 10.

His father, Rico Smith, confirmed this sentiment. He anticipates Penn State will land on Brandon’s “short list” as this recruitment progresses, and an official visit next year is already anticipated.

View image on Twitter
DE4qG8NV0AAcxEu.jpg:small

Follow
Tyler Donohue

✔@TDsTake

The family of 2019 LB target Brandon Smith takes a spin in James Franklin's cart during #PSU camp.

5:02 PM - 16 Jul 2017

9. Still searching for first 2019 pledge, but many pieces are in motion
Penn State doesn’t carry a commitment in the 2019 recruiting cycle yet, but as I alluded to with Smith, things are trending in the right direction. The Nittany Lions welcomed several members of the class to campus for these final summer camps and the Lasch Bash.

Jordan Houston, a running back who received an offer from Penn State last summer, told Land of 10 it was his best visit to campus so far. He participated in the Friday night camp, along with receiver Jeffery Carter of Texas, who received an offer that evening.

Keaton Ellis, a local State College standout, looked extremely athletic during drills at that camp. Considering his proximity to the program and the fact that his father played for the Nittany Lions, he could be the first recruit to jump on board.

Top-10 cornerback recruit Nyquee Hawkins, who told Land of 10 that Penn State feels like “family”, is another one to watch closely. He has an alpha mentality and would provide leadership if he joins Penn State as an early pledge.

Follow
Lamont Wade

✔@Goony_38

Man let's get this 2019 class rolling now
1f608.png

5:47 PM - 16 Jul 2017

Along with Carter, other 2019 prospects who picked up a Penn State offer on campus include WR/DB John Metchie of Maryland and QB Taquan Roberson of New Jersey.
Think he'd take Shrader and Roberson?

Haha, getting a little ahead of ourselves, are we? You need to get one. It's pretty rare these days to get two quarterbacks in a class that are both highly touted.
Just feeling the love right now... If there was a transfer I could see two

Spring decision is late to wait on your QB verbal. Miss out and you're in the position we were in with Fields.

Class of 2019 & DePaul Catholic QB Ta'Quan Roberson received an offer from Penn State the other day at a camp. He gave us a quick recap of how it happened and more.

On the offer: "I attended the PSU camp the other day and I balled out the staff told me. Coach Moorhead and Franklin gave me the offer.
They also said they love my tape and thinks that I am a very athletic QB that has a very strong arm with accuracy"
Where does PSU Stand: "
I really don't have a order or top right now. What i said before is where I stand right now. I’m still weighing out all my offers because they are all great places."
On a decision: "I'd like to make a decision sometime in spring next year."

Hello guys!

I run the NJVarsity - Rivals site. We are dedicated to covering NJ recruiting. Recently Penn State offered QB Ta'Quan Roberson after a strong camp performance. I have some quotes from him over on our board here. Feel free to join the convo over on NJVarsity today! Lots of interesting info!

Reactions: kevin310
By Greg Pickel

gpickel@pennlive.com

Mineral, Va., defensive end Brandon Smith also plays linebacker.

No matter which position he ends up playing at the next level, he's almost guaranteed to be solid at it.

Smith was as solid of a camper as they come on Sunday during Penn State's final instructional event of the summer, as he ran through linebacker drills with defensive coordinator Brent Pry a day after coming to town for the unofficial visit extravaganza known as the Lasch Bash.

Penn State has not yet kicked off its Class of 2019 with a verbal commitment, but it will undoubtedly hope to one day land the four-star who is just outside the top-150 players nationally in his class, according to the 247Sports' Composite rankings. The only way to do so, though, is to host him time and time again, and also impress him and his family on those trips.

Last weekend, PSU did exactly that.

"The love they showed me and my family stood out for sure," Smith told PennLive. "My grandfather and uncle who came with me and my family got a chance to experience that as well.

"I liked the Bash and visiting the downtown area for the art festival."

A trip through the annual State College event was only part of what Smith and the other recruits and families on hand got to experience. They also played some backyard games, of course ate, and got to see the locker room, stadium, and campus during the event.

Then, for some, camp was also on the agenda; not all of the Bash visitors camped, but a group did on Friday and then some others did on Sunday.

"Camp went well," Smith said. "I really enjoyed working with Coach Pry and seeing how other coaches interact.

"Coach Pry said I did a great job. He was impressed with how I use my hands and my strength. The weekend was an awesome weekend for me and my family."

Smith has two summer visits left this summer, as he'll see Georgia July 23 and Alabama July 24. He's not close to a decision, and that's quite Ok.

Penn State had to position itself well early, and it's done just that. Now, it is along for the ride, and absolutely in the mix for one of the Mid-Atlantic's best.

Haha, getting a little ahead of ourselves, are we? You need to get one. It's pretty rare these days to get two quarterbacks in a class that are both highly touted.

Plus, with Fields recommitting to us any day now..... o_O (kidding, of course).

I am very happy to see multiple highly rated QBs having serious interest in PSU each recruiting cycle now. Makes the path just a little bit easier for recruiting all around.

Reactions: LionJim
Plus, with Fields recommitting to us any day now..... o_O (kidding, of course).

I am very happy to see multiple highly rated QBs having serious interest in PSU each recruiting cycle now. Makes the path just a little bit easier for recruiting all around.

Looks like Roberson and Shrader are the top 2 targets for 2019 so far. Shrader's comments after Lasch Bash were positive but not effusive. Roberson's were more over the top but he wants to decide in the spring (which is a long time to wait for your QB verbal). Should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Reactions: Bob78
Four star RB with offers from PSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan, USC, Nebraska, Tennessee, etc.

2019 QB Recruiting Board

https://www.landof10.com/penn-state...b-search-max-duggan-micah-parsons-jayson-oweh

Max Duggan
High School: Lewis Central (Council Bluffs, Iowa)

Size: 6-foot-2, 175 pounds

Max Duggan seized his opportunity as a full-time starter last season, tallying 1,651 yards, 592 rushing yards and 29 total touchdowns, according to 247Sports. The son of former South Dakota QB Jim Duggan, his offer sheet also features Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Minnesota and Nebraska.

Penn State hosted him on campus June 3 and extended a scholarship the same day. He sees a strong fit in offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead’s system.

“Coach Moorhead and I got to watch film together for about an hour,” Duggan said. “We went over their philosophy and what they look for in a quarterback. I’m similar to the quarterbacks Penn State has right now. What they do in the offense — RPOs (run-pass option), extending plays with mobility and throwing the ball downfield — is everything that’s in my game.”

Roschon Johnson
High School: Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, Texas)

Size: 6-0 1/2, 192 pounds

Roschon Johnson became the first Nittany Lions quarterback target of the 2019 cycle when he received an offer in February. This elite dual-threat talent continues to add to that pile, as Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon and Texas are among his other options.

Johnson flashed immense promise in different phases of the game as a sophomore. He completed 62 percent of pass attempts for 2,318 yards and 26 scores, according to 247Sports. His effectiveness as a rusher shined, resulting in 1,650 yards and 30 touchdowns on the ground.

Taquan Roberson
High School: DePaul Catholic (Wayne, N.J.)

Size: 6-foot, 185 pounds

Taquan Roberson earned an offer last weekend after working through drills in front of the Penn State staff. A high school teammate of fellow 2019 Penn State target Ronnie Hickman (receiver/safety), he’s also attracted offers from Boston College, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia Tech since April.

Folks who’ve spoken with Land of 10 believe a breakout junior campaign is ahead for Roberson, which could result in enhanced attention from different corners of the country. He completed 51 percent of pass attempts in 2016, according to Brian Dohn of Scout.com, collecting 1,174 passing yards, 365 rushing yards and 11 total touchdowns.

Garrett Shrader
High School: Charlotte Christian (Charlotte, N.C.)

Size: 6-4 1/2, 190 pounds

Shrader received his Penn State offer one day after Duggan. He validated that early interest Sunday, piecing together a 5-star quality performance under the supervision of Moorhead during a camp in Happy Valley.

The most physically formidable of 2019 Nittany Lions quarterback targets, Shrader already displays tremendous touch and zip on downfield tosses, and there’s a lot of athleticism in play. Shrader completed 65 percent of pass attempts as a sophomore, per MaxPreps, racking up 3,179 total yards and 34 total touchdowns in 12 games.

He added offers from Alabama and Tennessee this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT