ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

LINK

Rivals analysts seem to think we're a distant third for RB Devyn Ford. If that's the case, do we truly feel confident in Cain (FL)?

Who are plan B guys at RB this cycle? I'd imagine we would circle back to Garwo (PA) and Houston (VA).

Ford was at OSU last weekend. Raved about "how they make you better" and "I could see myself going there". I'm sure JF is pursuing appropriate options. Garwo did well in NJ last weekend and picked up an Opening invite.
Keilan Robinson is another name to watch. 4.3 forty.

I want to point out though that it has been some time, and the conditions were much different, the last time Franklin struck out at a position after having two option A prospects visit.

Slow start for many recruiting powers. With the new recruiting calendar, many kids are taking their time.

Verbals

USC: 1
PSU: 2
Oregon: 2
Auburn: 2
Notre Dame: 3
Ohio State: 3
Clemson: 4
Tennessee: 4
Texas: 4
Oklahoma: 4

And yet, Ole Miss, who is on probation, leads the pack. But don't worry, I'm sure the NCAA says there's nothing to see here.

And yet, Ole Miss, who is on probation, leads the pack. But don't worry, I'm sure the NCAA says there's nothing to see here.

They have the #1 class strictly due to quantity right now.
Ole Miss has 15 verbal commits with an average rating of 86.

Georgia for example, has the #3 class with 7 verbals, with an average rating of 96.

Georgia is killing it right now with the 2019 class. They have 3 of the top 10 players in the country and are heavy favorites for #7 overall, Owen Pappoe.

But when it comes to recruiting, it's not where you start it's where you finish after the LOIs are signed and faxed.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Raved about "how they make you better"
Yeah, because this year's NFL combine shows Penn State doesn't have that ability. :eek:

My son and his ohowIhate friends were given a tour of the Woody Hayes facility while in columbass for boys HS state basketball. He said the GA gave heavy attention to the Wednesday thing where they bring in people from the business world to talk about internships etc.
I told my son that would have been the opportune time to ask how the university ranks when it comes to recruiters looking for seniors to fill their job vacancies.

OL

FC: Long snapper offer

2019 Port Jervis (N.Y.) Minisink Valley long snapper Austin Sullivan picked up a Penn State offer Saturday.

Sullivan was one of many visiting recruits in University Park over the weekend. He is unranked by 247Sports and the 247Sports Composite rankings. Sullivan is sixth-ranked long snapper of the current class, per Kohl's Kicking. Below is what the renowned kicking, punting and snapping service said of the New York native.

Sullivan attended the Texas Showcase and had the best showing for any 2019 snapper in the country. He is one of the best prospects in the 2019 class and has a massive ceiling. Sullivan recently attended the Kohl's National Scholarship Camp and was one of the finalist for the underclassmen competition. He is a huge guy who is also very athletic and smooth with his snapping motion.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Article/Penn-State-football-offers-2019-long-snapper-Austin-Sullivan-117159646

FC: Long snapper offer

2019 Port Jervis (N.Y.) Minisink Valley long snapper Austin Sullivan picked up a Penn State offer Saturday.

Sullivan was one of many visiting recruits in University Park over the weekend. He is unranked by 247Sports and the 247Sports Composite rankings. Sullivan is sixth-ranked long snapper of the current class, per Kohl's Kicking. Below is what the renowned kicking, punting and snapping service said of the New York native.

Sullivan attended the Texas Showcase and had the best showing for any 2019 snapper in the country. He is one of the best prospects in the 2019 class and has a massive ceiling. Sullivan recently attended the Kohl's National Scholarship Camp and was one of the finalist for the underclassmen competition. He is a huge guy who is also very athletic and smooth with his snapping motion.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Article/Penn-State-football-offers-2019-long-snapper-Austin-Sullivan-117159646

Gotta believe this is a preferred walk-on offer. Offering a LS a schollie is just ridonkulous.

LINK

Rivals analysts seem to think we're a distant third for RB Devyn Ford. If that's the case, do we truly feel confident in Cain (FL)?

Who are plan B guys at RB this cycle? I'd imagine we would circle back to Garwo (PA) and Houston (VA).

They are incorrect that PSU is a distant third. We have a much greater chance than they indicate.

Regardless of the other RB's, I would like Garwo to get an offer. He plays for Bishop Conwell-Egan, which is a very small school in the Philadelphia Catholic League. The last time Egan (it used to be Bishop Egan) was any good a RB by the name of Steve Slaton (WVU) was there toting the rock. They aren't just competing, they are winning against some very good football teams and Garwo is the reason why. Since Egan is just down the road from Neshaminy Franklin is well aware I'm sure. Also, since Garwo went to Middle School at Neshaminy Maple Point MS he must be from Langhorne, which is Franklin's home town.

Perhaps a stupid question, but can out-of-state tuition be waived for walk-ons? Probably not, but I'll ask anyway.
I don't believe so. However, there are some counties in neighboring states that qualify for in-state tuition. This isn't really related to your question but I thought I'd drop it here anyway.

Reactions: LionJim and TheGLOV
Top 4* QB prospect Sam Howell committed to FSU.

Somewhat interesting development in the recruitment of CT 4* Taisun Phommachanh from CT. He's fresh off an unofficial visit in State College and FSU was the perceived leader in his recruitment. Now 2 of his 3 top schools have commitments from other highly rated prospects. I wonder if this now pushes Clemson into the driver's seat. It might not be a huge deal to PSU if he were to go elsewhere now that Stevens has decided to stay and our QB numbers are normal.

Perhaps a stupid question, but can out-of-state tuition be waived for walk-ons? Probably not, but I'll ask anyway.

Can you imagine what the $EC would do with that rule? Alabama would have 100 walk on kids from all over the nation. They would have kids move out of Alabama in order to be able to waive their tuition.

Can you imagine what the $EC would do with that rule? Alabama would have 100 walk on kids from all over the nation. They would have kids move out of Alabama in order to be able to waive their tuition.

The question was can the out-of-state premium be waived, not tuition entirely. And, to a limited extent, some SEC schools do this.

There are many states that have regional discounts/agreements where in-state tuition is allowed for out of state students, so the question is how does this impact athletic scholarships?
https://www.kiplinger.com/article/c...n-state-tuition-at-out-of-state-colleges.html

Lol. Yeah. The mind reels.

There are many states that have regional discounts/agreements where in-state tuition is allowed for out of state students, so the question is how does this impact athletic scholarships?
https://www.kiplinger.com/article/c...n-state-tuition-at-out-of-state-colleges.html

Yeah, interesting. I was sort of thinking of that too, but was too lazy to elaborate. That's one of the good things about this board, there's always someone to pick up the baton.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul
I'm confused, not clear if this has been answered.

It seems that this would not be a big deal for sports like football that generate big money, schools like PSU and bama can't really stockpile PWO's on in-state tuition. Typically, if kids are good enough to play D1 on PWO they're probably have the option to go somewhere else on a full ride.

I could see this would have a big impact on low revenue low budget sports like wrestling.

I'm confused, not clear if this has been answered.

It's simple. Unless an out-of-state walk-on would qualify for a tuition reduction that were available to the general student body, any reduction in tuition would be considered to be institutional financial aid and he would become a counter.

Extant tuition reduction programs for out-of-state students typically are limited to a number of states and specific schools or programs within the university. Occasionally, there is broader reciprocity between states as there is (or was, I haven't checked recently) with Minnesota and Wisconsin. But, again, there has to be a general program. Simply waiving an out-of-state premium ad hoc is inviting a proctological exam from the NCAA, one of the few things they at which they are good.

Simply waiving an out-of-state premium ad hoc is inviting a proctological exam from the NCAA, one of the few things they at which they are good.
Apropos of almost nothing:

VioletArcticIndianjackal-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Carl Spackler
PWO receives study table and meals like the scholarship player.
WO does not receive either of these benefits.

Is there a limit on the number of PWOs then? I don't recall ever seeing that, so why not call every walkon a PWO?

I don't think he meant free tuition, just charging in state tuition to walk ons.

They have the #1 class strictly due to quantity right now.
Ole Miss has 15 verbal commits with an average rating of 86.

Georgia for example, has the #3 class with 7 verbals, with an average rating of 96.

Georgia is killing it right now with the 2019 class. They have 3 of the top 10 players in the country and are heavy favorites for #7 overall, Owen Pappoe.

But when it comes to recruiting, it's not where you start it's where you finish after the LOIs are signed and faxed.
Fair to assume Georgia will finish strong.

Add Illinois TE Billingsley to the list of PSU prospects attending Blue White. It is now in view for public on his 247 profile.

The 105 roster limits only applies until the first day of classes (or first game if the game comes first).

So a team could theoretically bring in PWO's in numbers that would exceed the 105, feed them all summer and throughout Fall camp, and then cut down to 105 roster for the first game or first day of classes whichever comes first?

The excess bodies would require extra supervision and management within the S&C program, but would allow a team short on talent to try and get a look at and develop players that would improve their team.

For teams that already have a very talented roster it seems that concentrating on developing a few required backups at key positions (QB, Long Snapper, ?) may be a more preferred strategy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT