ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Can you point out where he is inaccurate? Same can be said for Isaac, huge upside, but we'll have to see how it translates. He didn't state PSU passed on them or label them a bust. Maybe you hadn't read some of the scouting reports on those players, but that was mentioned prior to them committing anywhere. He wasn't saying people would have been upset if they had come to PSU and I doubt he feels that way.

Appreciate the support, but Isaac had like 23 sacks! How about Smith Vilbert, long, super athletic, quick, but not much production yet. Basketball player still learning football.

Why is everyone bitching about Lamont? It started with some salty asshat penn state fan giving his absolutely worthless take on Nick Cross’s commitment. Great twitter discussion to throw on the message boards guys. Lots of insights
Some fans don’t like Lamont Wade because they disagree with his opinions that he isn’t afraid to be vocal about. Those same fans, curiously enough, often seem to be the same ones who talk about how much they care about Penn State developing well-rounded student-athletes who aren’t just focused on football.

Lamont just seems a little "anti-authority" and he takes the constant stance of speaking for the oppressed on the team. It's fine I guess, it just seems like it can be bad for the overall health of the locker room. Remember, this is a guy that left the team and then "sacrificed" to come back.

Lamont just seems a little "anti-authority" and he takes the constant stance of speaking for the oppressed on the team. It's fine I guess, it just seems like it can be bad for the overall health of the locker room. Remember, this is a guy that left the team and then "sacrificed" to come back.

For me, I got the feeling he ignited the beginning of the portal departures for us. And then I read tweets like that. He's got a lot on his plate and he better not be bitching about playing time

For me, I got the feeling he ignited the beginning of the portal departures for us. And then I read tweets like that. He's got a lot on his plate and he better not be bitching about playing time
I 100% respect what you are saying but the problem isn't with these kids it's with the new rules that were put in place.

All of these top level athletes that were the best of the best on their high school teams think they have a shot at the NFL. You and I know the numbers don't lie and very few make it.

This portal thing just makes it more complicated for the kids because some feel they are being given a raw deal with playing time. I'd have to guess the same kids would make it or not in the NFL without the portal in play.

There's more rumble from these kids about college football being a business, and with this new transfer portal/immediate eligibility thing I'm not sure they aren't correct. Times are different and they see the billions that are being made off of them. And I'm damn sure not happy about it. But I don't blame the kids. We're now looking at Minor League Football.

Some fans don’t like Lamont Wade because they disagree with his opinions that he isn’t afraid to be vocal about. Those same fans, curiously enough, often seem to be the same ones who talk about how much they care about Penn State developing well-rounded student-athletes who aren’t just focused on football.

Could care less what his opinion is. He has a right to one like everyone else. He has just come across numerous times as "woe is me" guy both before during and after the season with cryptic like tweets. Then goes to portal then comes back after saying going to portal wasn't his choice. His act is tiring and he's not playing well enough on the field to cover up for his demeanor off of it on social media. In other words he seems like a head case and distraction. To the children of the board, its like boy who cried wolf.

Funny, my first thought also. If I were him I'd be working out more and tweeting less. Personally I'd hoped he'd transfer closer to home.

You wanted him to leave? Why? So we could have freshman backups at every single position, instead of just most of them?

I think Lamont's independence makes some people here nervous.

You can always count on Lamont to chime in in defense of players. He has become the justice warrior for the players.

Sounds like he is building up his defense to me. Regardless, whatever these young men decide to do is A-OK with me.

Remember, you only want the dudes that want to be here...

Look, I don't think anyone is suggesting: Shut up and play football KID. Or I certainly hope nobody is suggesting: Shut up and play football black kid. I think it's just time for wade to go incognito for a bit. Like if he is my kid, I sort of say something to him along the lines of:

" Hey look son,, you are up there getting a good education and playing high level football. Going into the transfer portal, sending pictures on instagram of your cleaned out locker saying "this wasn't my decision," posting every dumb fanboys post on social media and arguing with them on social media, etc. My guess is you put the coaches through a little embarrassment and the like, and that's fine, I know you sort of want to be an ambassador for those without a voice, but it just might be time to walk a straight and narrow a bit and let your play and practice habits do more talking than your social media habits."

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...uiting-Penn-State-signs-2019-class-129020815/

Penn State signed a third consecutive top-15 class in composite rankings, and it's a group listed third nationally by 247Sports, behind Alabama and Georgia. Those are the only programs in college football that landed more blue-chip recruits (five- and four-star talent) in the 2019 cycle, per composite rankings, than PSU.

Judge jumping into this thread like...

giphy.gif

Look, I don't think anyone is suggesting: Shut up and play football KID. Or I certainly hope nobody is suggesting: Shut up and play football black kid. I think it's just time for wade to go incognito for a bit. Like if he is my kid, I sort of say something to him along the lines of:

" Hey look son,, you are up there getting a good education and playing high level football. Going into the transfer portal, sending pictures on instagram of your cleaned out locker saying "this wasn't my decision," posting every dumb fanboys post on social media and arguing with them on social media, etc. My guess is you put the coaches through a little embarrassment and the like, and that's fine, I know you sort of want to be an ambassador for those without a voice, but it just might be time to walk a straight and narrow a bit and let your play and practice habits do more talking than your social media habits."
Why? He chose an option available and then rethought his decision, another option available. I just think criticism of his beliefs is misguided especially regardless of race. You and others seem to think of is okay to think these things just don’t make them public. That’s nonsense, imo.

Right or wrong, Not sure why Wade would piss off PSU fans while defending someone he doesn’t know going to a “rival” school. Best just to mind your own business and stay out of it.

Back to recruiting.... let’s go get a transfer.

You are not Lamont's problem.... you are PSU's problem.

Following this thread reassures my lack of interest in Twitter and most other social media concerning our recruits or current team members. The drama is better avoided IMHO.

I'm interested in watching them play the game and be good team members. They certainly have every right to post any and all information they choose about any subject as I do. I have the right not to peruse the vast social media minefields and their contributions to it. My BP has remained lower when I avoid network/cable news and other than the Wrestling Match last Friday night I've managed to promote a level playing field within my circulatory systems pressure constraints.

To each his own. Had everything I said and did in my formative years been publicly broadcast I'd be embarrassed now. Fortunately, I didn't have the temptation of social media and the peer influence to use it freely in my youth.

Best wishes to continued health and increased athletic prowess in the coming year to all PSU team members and to those who chose other options. Life is too short to bemoan different opinions and choices of educational and athletic options to the physically gifted among us. I believe the vast majority actually have a lot of fun viewing the different teams compete and fight the good fight to victory.

College football recruiting: Ranking the top 10 recruiters that hauled in the Class of 2019
iu

7. Penn State running backs coach Ja'Juan Seider: When Seider was hired last year to replace departing running backs coach Charles Huff, he brought with him to Penn State a reputation as a great recruiter, especially in the state of Florida. In Year 1, Seider backed up that reputation. Penn State landed one of the nation's best running back classes with Devyn Ford and Noah Cain, two guys that have the potential to contribute immediately. Cain is a Sunshine State native and Seider landed two more from Florida with him in wide receivers John Dunmore and TJ Jones. He even pulled in a quarterback for the Nittany Lions in Michael Johnson Jr. out of Oregon.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Yeah....so overall it was a very strong class. Good job all year on this thread to the ones that participated in it all year long.
Yes. FWIW, this class exceeded my expectations. I thought there would be a drop-off after the excellent 2018 class, particularly because it was such an off-year for PA talent. This class seems to have talent in nearly every position area, and is also notable for the results in Florida, which could be the start of a very productive pipeline.

Coach Franklin does a terrific job in recruiting -- from recognizing talent to developing relationships, hosting good functions, and closing the deal. There's every indication so far that 2020 and 2021 will continue the trend of excellent recruiting classes.

College football recruiting: Ranking the top 10 recruiters that hauled in the Class of 2019
iu

7. Penn State running backs coach Ja'Juan Seider: When Seider was hired last year to replace departing running backs coach Charles Huff, he brought with him to Penn State a reputation as a great recruiter, especially in the state of Florida. In Year 1, Seider backed up that reputation. Penn State landed one of the nation's best running back classes with Devyn Ford and Noah Cain, two guys that have the potential to contribute immediately. Cain is a Sunshine State native and Seider landed two more from Florida with him in wide receivers John Dunmore and TJ Jones. He even pulled in a quarterback for the Nittany Lions in Michael Johnson Jr. out of Oregon.

Sandy, pay the man!

giphy.gif

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT