ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Probably because there wasn't anything to talk about re PSU...Jones may turn out to be a contributor, but he's not the kind of prospect that draws a lot of attention.

They had live segments on all of the teams at the bottom of the Big Ten. We had more going on than they did.

Just want to put this out here: the KSN podcast on Fridays is a must listen and it’s because of Ross Tucker. The dude has playing experience at the highest level and does an awesome job of analyzing prospects and players alike.

Interesting note: Tucker and Andy Frank know each other - they played together at Princeton. Tucker does radio for the PA State Championship games and he was floored by how awesome Hardy was in the Penn Hills Mannheim Central game. Tucker texted Frank after the game and was joking with him and was like “‘are you sure you guys don’t want Hardy?”

Tucker sees no flaws in Hardy and that he is equally skilled in press, off, and zone coverages. He feels Hardy could even be an offensive player. Hardy’s slight build is a non factor because he is a good tackler and the game is all about speed. We got a great one here folks and he will play in 2019 (my opinion).
I really love listening to Ross Tucker. He always brings a little different dynamic and is very knowledgeable.

In terms of actual football knowledge and being able to explain it, out of all the folks who cover PSU, I don't think anyone is better than Ross Tucker.

General football knowledge, sure. The X's and O's. But he doesn't know much about PSU the team or recruiting. That last episode Ross was talking about how great Pickel is in recruiting knowledge, when actually he's pretty poor.

General football knowledge, sure. The X's and O's. But he doesn't know much about PSU the team or recruiting. That last episode Ross was talking about how great Pickel is in recruiting knowledge, when actually he's pretty poor.

"But he doesn't know much about PSU the team or recruiting." - I respect your opinion, but I disagree with you here. I've been an avid listener of KSN and have never missed an episode. I think Ross was just complimenting a co-worker to be nice. Ross covers's every PSU recruit / PSU game and gives detailed analysis on KSN, so it's odd you would knock him like that.
  • He's way more connected to the PSU program than most analysts. He's former teammates with Andy Frank (PSU's director of Personnel) and texts him about PSU recruits (i.e. Daquan Hardy). He was Craig Fitzgerald's Best Man. Plus a ton of other connections that others can help me out with.
  • He's a die-hard PSU fan his whole life.
  • He watches tape on every PSU recruit and provides detail analysis for KSN
  • He covers eastern Pennsylvania High School Football
  • He calls the Pennsylvania High School State Championship games.
  • Ross Tucker calls the Army All American Bowl Game every year
  • He runs his own recruiting site for High Schoolers to get access to colleges coaches. https://www.gobigrecruiting.com/ - This is not a fan site like rivals, 247, etc.

So anyone else watch the 2nd Signing Day special on BTN?

As far as I could tell, they had live interviews, players in the studio, reporters on campus for every team but Penn State. They ran an interview with Franklin from December for our segment. Any idea what was up with that?

Um, they hate us?

Alternatively, Franklin may have told them to go f*ck themselves, in which case, they hate us.

Nick Cross just wants to see this thread hit 2 million views before pulling the trigger.

Here's a pitch with an interesting twist from an FSU fan:

Also, no response yet from the BTN guys...

Reactions: TheGLOV and bmw199
Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Here in SW Florida, college-bound seniors generally rank in-state schools as follows:

1)U of Florida
2)U of Miami (private and pricey)
3)UCF (a better school than most would think)
4)FSU, USF, FGCU (all about tied)

FSU is a safety school, for what it's worth.

Reactions: kevin310
UCF has a higher-ranked engineering school than FSU, and a more highly regarded medical school, with higher average MCAT scores than FSU.

(They also have a better football team:))

Last edited:
Reactions: udsig91
"But he doesn't know much about PSU the team or recruiting." - I respect your opinion, but I disagree with you here. I've been an avid listener of KSN and have never missed an episode. I think Ross was just complimenting a co-worker to be nice. Ross covers's every PSU recruit / PSU game and gives detailed analysis on KSN, so it's odd you would knock him like that.
  • He's way more connected to the PSU program than most analysts. He's former teammates with Andy Frank (PSU's director of Personnel) and texts him about PSU recruits (i.e. Daquan Hardy). He was Craig Fitzgerald's Best Man. Plus a ton of other connections that others can help me out with.
  • He's a die-hard PSU fan his whole life.
  • He watches tape on every PSU recruit and provides detail analysis for KSN
  • He covers eastern Pennsylvania High School Football
  • He calls the Pennsylvania High School State Championship games.
  • Ross Tucker calls the Army All American Bowl Game every year
  • He runs his own recruiting site for High Schoolers to get access to colleges coaches. https://www.gobigrecruiting.com/ - This is not a fan site like rivals, 247, etc.

Just about every episode he asks Flounder basic questions about the team that most of us here could answer. He’s got his hands full with his other jobs so it is understandable.

Ross also has no idea about who has offers from what teams, where recruits rank, etc.

Just about every episode he asks Flounder basic questions about the team that most of us here could answer. He’s got his hands full with his other jobs so it is understandable.

Ross also has no idea about who has offers from what teams, where recruits rank, etc.

Now that the recruiting class is pretty much done, KSN will have an upcoming series where Ross Tucker evaluates every single PSU recruit individually and ranks them on the show. I look forward to this series every year.

Let's all have a listen and throw our opinions on a different thread. My guess is that he'll know more than you give him credit for.

Now that the recruiting class is pretty much done, KSN will have an upcoming series where Ross Tucker evaluates every single PSU recruit individually and ranks them on the show. I look forward to this series every year.

Let's all have a listen and throw our opinions on a different thread. My guess is that he'll know more than you give him credit for.

I’m sitting on my phone here at breakfast and not going to do the research now. But I’ll tag you going forward on basic PSU team and recruiting issues Ross doesn’t know going forward.

I"m sorry to say I will not have that same dedication to tag you on every PSU team and recruiting point Ross does make.

So you win my friend and I concede the argument. I yield! :)

I’m sitting on my phone here at breakfast and not going to do the research now. But I’ll tag you going forward on basic PSU team and recruiting issues Ross doesn’t know going forward.

Reactions: grinagrin
I"m sorry to say I will not have that same dedication to tag you on every PSU team and recruiting point Ross does make.

So you win my friend and I concede the argument. I yield! :)

By the way, all of this back and forth about Ross is only about him being "the best" to cover Penn State. That honor goes to Fitz, imo. And it isn't close.

But Ross is great in that he brings his knowledge of playing football at a high level. It's great hearing his judgments of current players. And when he breaks down the tape of a verbal, love that there are players that he isn't impressed with. That gives greater weight to the recruits that he raves about.

I like Dustin, Flounder, and Ross on that KSN. Worth listening to.

EJB - We will begin our series with Ross ranking the recruits very soon. It has been very popular in the past. This week he is going to look at the 2020 commits.
I like that Ross reviews all the tapes and comes to his own conclusions and does not depend on others' opinions. I look forward to a thread for that series and get everybody's feedback.

Any update on Cross?

I added him to PSU's class in the 247 class calculator a couple of days ago and it moved PSU up to #8. A top Safety at a position of need.... would be great if CJF can still reel him in.....

Last edited:
CB’s for cross to Maryland.

What a waste.
My sentiments, exactly. Maybe his parents will have an epiphany overnight & allow him to sign with FSU. From the outside looking in, seems like a much better scenario than suiting it up with a consistent doormat in the Big 10 East.

With the transfer portal as it is now, I guess one could say that the 2019 recruiting process continues on for a good while after signing day. I imagine there are a lot of variables in play,,,, some getting in a grad school program, a lot depends on why a player left a a program early, also the position they play. Spring practice gets more interrupted for the coaching staff. Very interesting.

One thing for sure, with the guys that graduated, fans need to stop the hysterical wild accusations about why a player entered the portal. Most of us have no idea why and blurting out our wild imaginings does not do justice to the program we support, nor the players in the program exercising the rights the NCAA granted them. It may be a cathartic to some to post wild and unfounded theories but it serves no good purpose other than that. Just remember, poise shows pride and confidence. I am looking forward to seeing if there are any more Lamont Wades and if we pick up a few intriguing players from other programs.

For the coaches though, the more honest you are to your current players, the more likely you are to see transfer portal entries. That part sucks.

Reactions: We Are . . .
With the transfer portal as it is now, I guess one could say that the 2019 recruiting process continues on for a good while after signing day. I imagine there are a lot of variables in play,,,, some getting in a grad school program, a lot depends on why a player left a a program early, also the position they play. Spring practice gets more interrupted for the coaching staff. Very interesting.

One thing for sure, with the guys that graduated, fans need to stop the hysterical wild accusations about why a player entered the portal. Most of us have no idea why and blurting out our wild imaginings does not do justice to the program we support, nor the players in the program exercising the rights the NCAA granted them. It may be a cathartic to some to post wild and unfounded theories but it serves no good purpose other than that. Just remember, poise shows pride and confidence. I am looking forward to seeing if there are any more Lamont Wades and if we pick up a few intriguing players from other programs.

For the coaches though, the more honest you are to your current players, the more likely you are to see transfer portal entries. That part sucks.

IF the free uninhibited transfer is going to be the norm, most 4-5* players are simply not going to sit - and you can probably forget redshirting these players unless they truly are injured seriously. top 100 style players are likely to start looking at the transfer by end of first year if things are not working for them. one of the notable recruiting analysts (Tom L) said these guys "cannot afford to waste time when they are planning to be gone after 3 years". Somebody like this actually adds to the input that these recruits have. Unless something happens that the rules get tighter about the transfer portal, we can assume this process will grow.

Re Cross, it really is apparent that there is some family thing going on there, and we really are unlikely to know anything until he really signs. Re Maryland that really does not make any sense to me. This is a doormat of the BIG and will continue to be under a coach who has no winning HC experience - Durkin was actually a better on the field coach than the new guy. FSU is far less of a gamble than going to somewhere like Maryland, but currently FSU not in great shape. coming to PSU would probably be the best career choice for Cross, but he may be driven by the heart of a fan. again my analogy is when compromising between Morton's Steak House and Ruth Chris, you don't settle for McDonalds. I am kind of assuming this player's decision may go along like the government shutdown.

DzN9WNdX4AE3BYN

Last edited:
Back to recruiting, feel Cross will not be at UMD all four years.
I can't comment on that, but Cross is a real top prospect who will likely be an all-conference type player and future pro. It would have been great to get him here.

I can't comment on that, but Cross is a real top prospect who will likely be an all-conference type player and future pro. It would have been great to get him here.

He has great measurables but didn't really play to that level in high school. Terrific upside, but we'll have to see if it translates. Kind of like Zach Harrison.

Let's try not to be this person......we would all be doing backflips if we landed Cross and Harrison.
Can you point out where he is inaccurate? Same can be said for Isaac, huge upside, but we'll have to see how it translates. He didn't state PSU passed on them or label them a bust. Maybe you hadn't read some of the scouting reports on those players, but that was mentioned prior to them committing anywhere. He wasn't saying people would have been upset if they had come to PSU and I doubt he feels that way.

ADVERTISEMENT