ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Good point but MORALE for the other Guards is the key....
We have Gonzalez, Miranda and Menet on the interior, then who? Are Holmes and Whigan Guards or Tackles? Is Thorpe a DL or OL? Are Effner or Scruggs ready? There are a lot of questions on the OL right now. It appears we have some good young pieces but I think the staff would feel better if they had someone with some experience backing those guys up.

based on the ongoing discussion how many incoming first year guys redshirt?? How many of the Early Enrollees redshirt? I say no EEs redshirt.

My guess on what they wind up doing would be:

Smith - Plays
Isaac - Redshirt unless injury
Cain - Plays
Dixon - Redshirt
Rudolph - Plays
Johnson Jr - Could redshirt, but wouldn't be shocked if he comes in and makes a strong case to play right away
Ellis - Redshirt
Whigan - Plays
Wilson - Redshirt
Roberson - Redshirt
Strange - Redshirt

Smith - Plays
Cain - Plays
Dixon - Redshirt
Rudolph - Plays
Johnson Jr - Could redshirt, but wouldn't be shocked if he comes in and makes a strong case to play right away
Ellis - Redshirt
Whigan - Plays
Wilson - Redshirt
Roberson - Redshirt
Strange - Redshirt
When you say Redshirt, you're essentially saying only play in four games.

Smith - Plays
Cain - Plays
Dixon - Redshirt
Rudolph - Plays
Ellis - Redshirt
Whigan - Plays
Wilson - Redshirt
Roberson - Redshirt
Strange - Redshirt

That's a pretty conservative approach. I'm more into believing CJF will play more freshmen going forward, as they will be needed on special teams, plus the fact that high level talent will want to compete from the start. So I believe there is an excellent chance that one or both of Dixon and Ellis play more than 4 games. Both have excellent speed and are playmakers, and the PSU special teams need upgraded.

And from what I have read and watched in the all star games I don't believe Johnson Jr has any better chance than Robertson to play in 2019. Johnson Jr is a dynamic athlete, but it seems Robertson is further along as a passer, which any QB in the current offense has to be to succeed. So I don't see either playing more than 4 games.

But it gonna be fun to watch this talent develop, and we'll get our first shot at seeing it at the B/W game. When do the lots open???

Last edited:

Smith - Plays
Cain - Plays
Dixon - Redshirt
Rudolph - Plays
Ellis - Redshirt
Whigan - Plays
Wilson - Redshirt
Roberson - Redshirt
Strange - Redshirt
Anyone who could be useful on special teams will likely play all year.

Important dates:
January 17th: Coaches go to Florida (assumed to see Richards)
January 19th: Ellies to announce at Polynesian Bowl
January 25th: Darkwa to officially visit
January 25th: Nester to officially visit
January 25th: Sorrells to officially visit
January 25th: Jones to officially visit
January 25th: Houston to officially visit
January 25th: Asaboro to officially visit
February 1st: Cross to officially visit

The staff did what they had to in scheduling visits and should be commended. Really great job we've come to expect. About the only one they didn't get scheduled yet was Wright, which isn't likely worth the time since he's a practical lock to Tenn at this point.

Beyond these guys, Vilbert is looking like a PSU lock, and we should add Ellies on Saturday.

Last edited:
The new 2019 TE offer. Does this young man look like 228 lbs??

Position coach Tyler Bowen was in Clearwater, Fla., on Wednesday to see Brett Seither, a 6-foot-5, 228-pound tight end with offers from Penn State ‚Georgia, Georgia Tech, Michigan State, TCU, Alabama, Maryland, and others despite owning a three-star rating as the nation’s No. 43 tight end. Seither is originally from Maryland, which could help the Lions, but TCU leads in the 247Sports’ Crystal Ball. Regardless, he’s a prospect to watch over the next few weeks, but after offering on Jan. 11, the Lions may have arrived at the party too late.

Seither’s decision date is unclear, but the Lions will try to get him on campus before National Signing Day. Without doing so, they probably have little shot of landing him. The late pursuit is undoubtedly tied to Danny Dalton’s decision to put his name in the transfer portal along with the fact that Pat Freiermuth could go to the NFL following his junior season.

View image on Twitter

Brett Seither@_Brett18
Great visit with @TylerBowen #WeAre

10:05 PM - Jan 16, 2019
See Brett Seither's other Tweets

https://247sports.com/Article/Best-recruits-2019-All-American-superlatives-127678784/

Superlatives to close the book on the 2019 All-American Bowl
ByBARTON SIMMONS

iu

Most complete linebacker: Lance Dixon

Dixon was one of the fastest, if not the fastest, linebacker in San Antonio. He also was one of the hardest hitters and most active inside run defenders. Everyone is talking about five-star Brandon Smith heading to Penn State at linebacker, and rightly so, but don’t be surprised if Dixon is just as good.

https://247sports.com/Article/Best-recruits-2019-All-American-superlatives-127678784/

Superlatives to close the book on the 2019 All-American Bowl
ByBARTON SIMMONS

iu

Most complete linebacker: Lance Dixon

Dixon was one of the fastest, if not the fastest, linebacker in San Antonio. He also was one of the hardest hitters and most active inside run defenders. Everyone is talking about five-star Brandon Smith heading to Penn State at linebacker, and rightly so, but don’t be surprised if Dixon is just as good.

Also interesting from the same article. Once again, not much production.

Biggest enigma: Zach Harrison

There’s no denying the athletic traits that Harrison possesses. He’s as gifted physically as any prospect in the class. We are still waiting for those gifts to translate fully to an impact in this sort of setting. Harrison may not be a day-one impact player and yet it’s easy to envision him being a No. 1 overall NFL Draft pick. Unlike some of the other five-stars that have come out with insane athleticism, Harrison needs to be coached and developed. It will be fun to see what Ohio State defensive line coach Larry Johnson can do here.

What position does 4 Star Athlete Mark Anthony Richards play on defense? His size says he might be one mean S.....bring in Nick Cross and MAR for S?

I think most of us would be cool with that, but I doubt MAR would say the same! Kind of like CJ Holmes when he was being recruited, he wanted to play RB and we wanted him as an athlete, probably DB, so he chose ND instead of PSU. I hope he chooses PSU, I've been saying MAR is probably my favorite recruit out of them all, for a while now!
On twitter, Mark Anthony Richards said Miami offered him as an athlete and it seems that he may be open to playing other positions.

Reactions: TheGLOV
And . . . ?
The staff knows his decision. All of the recruiting writers whose crystal balls are typically informed by sources close to the program are picking Penn State. Do the math, and you have to think Penn State’s staff feels very good about Ellies. The staff likely feels good about Ellies because Ellies told them so.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bmw199
https://247sports.com/college/penn-...-Hunte-Sorrells-Ellies-127863956/#127863956_1

Go to the link to read the rest. Good article.

Top Penn State targets as National Signing Day nears

DB NICK CROSS
Prep Program: DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, Md.)
Size: 6-foot, 206 pounds
Composite Ranking: No. 6 safety; No. 72 overall
247 Crystal Ball: Florida State (100 percent)

Nick Cross has been in Penn State's cross-hairs for quite some time, earning a scholarship offer from the Nittany Lions last January. He's used official visits to Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Florida State, and verbally committed to the Seminoles in September.

Despite maintaining his FSU pledge, Cross declined to sign in December. As 247Sports director of recruiting Steve Wiltfong reported Thursday, Penn State will welcome him to campus before Feb. 6.

"(Cross) has elite track speed and it translates to the secondary," observed 247Sports national recruiting analyst Brian Dohn. "Can cover outside of the numbers in zone and closing speed is impressive. Strength is an asset. Plays physical, fills run gaps and also gets to the edge. Change of direction, athleticism, character and work ethic are plusses. Cares immensely about getting better."

The Nittany Lions landed five defensive backs during the early signing period, including coveted junior college safety Jaquan Brisker. Penn State will lose at least two scholarship safeties from its 2018 roster (starter Nick Scott and reserve veteran Ayron Monroe), while sophomore Lamont Wade is listed in the NCAA Transfer Portal.

DL SMITH VILBERT
Prep Program: St. Joseph Regional (Montvale, N.J.)
Size: 6-6, 250 pounds
Composite Ranking: No. 49 strong-side defensive end; No. 679 overall
247 Crystal Ball: Penn State (100 percent)

Can Penn State land a basketball player-turned-football prospect out of New Jersey for the second straight cycle? Last year, the Nittany Lions edged out Ohio State for defensive end Jayson Oweh, and now it's the 6-6, 250-pound Smith Vilbert who lands on the wish list.

7COMMENTS
Vilbert's recruitment skyrocketed this season and PSU entered the mix in November. The Nittany Lions hosted him for an official visit last month, and one week earlier he took a trip to Oregon. Florida has made an impressive push of late, and welcomed him to campus last weekend. Still, Penn State is in an enviable position with the promising lineman.

"Length is impressive and he uses it well," Dohn wrote. "Great burst at snap and has speed off the edge. Has strength to disengage and changes direction well for player his size. Good body control. Possesses closing speed. Quick learner and transitions practice field lessons to games. Moves well laterally and chases plays down on the back side."

Smith Vilbert might announce today. Just picked up some more CBs for PSU. Seems the OV to UF might not have swayed him.

Last edited:
Can't reveal that or my days of being on the board would come to a close :(

I'm sure Ellies will reveal to a reporter that he actually signed at early NSD after he announces his commitment this weekend (kind of like Oweh did last year).

It's not public info yet, but trust me ;)

I thought he had a visit from a USC coach. Or at least a facetime chat, something like that? Thought it was zero recruiting contact if he has signed.

ADVERTISEMENT