ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Since we've heard nothing about Dunmore that is substantial, and since his twitter page has not changed one bit, it would appear that he is safe. There's no smoke coming out of that visit other than the Miami homer guy saying he "might" not commit tomorrow. That is literally the only thing that has come out.

Since we've heard nothing about Dunmore that is substantial, and since his twitter page has not changed one bit, it would appear that he is safe. There's no smoke coming out of that visit other than the Miami homer guy saying he "might" not commit tomorrow. That is literally the only thing that has come out.

His HC thinks he's sending in the LOI tomorrow. Hurricane downgraded to tropical storm.

You're getting some bad info. He's all Michigan and has been for a couple of months. His second choice is PSU. OSU was never really in the mix as the kid wants to get out of that $hit hole known as Columbus.

Sam Webb CB's Zach Harrison to OSU

iu

Harrison going to OSU is almost worth it just for the Michigan meltdown.

Call it sour grapes if you want, but Adisa Isaac has the same physical gifts at DE and, unlike Harrison, the production to back it up as well. I'll put Oweh and Isaac as bookends in a couple of years against any duo in the country.

I hope you're wrong about that. I think 67 are eligible to return at this point. That means 10 would have to leave. 2019 could be a good year but prospects decline if we lose many of our starting DTs or OL.

i got to the 57 number strictly from the folks here on the forum saying who is trending to not return. someone else posted 52 returning but i could not reproduce that number. i am sure the coaches have advanced analytics looking at every detail as part of the recruiting process. I assume if they have a problem with more offers accepted than they thought, then they do not renew scholarships to walk-ons who may have gotten them and/or do not renew 5th year player scholarships for any player not on the 1/2 depth chart. it would not seem PSU like to tell a player who verballed that their acceptance is no longer accepted by PSU. that is UM style under JH>

i got to the 57 number strictly from the folks here on the forum saying who is trending to not return. someone else posted 52 returning but i could not reproduce that number. i am sure the coaches have advanced analytics looking at every detail as part of the recruiting process. I assume if they have a problem with more offers accepted than they thought, then they do not renew scholarships to walk-ons who may have gotten them and/or do not renew 5th year player scholarships for any player not on the 1/2 depth chart. it would not seem PSU like to tell a player who verballed that their acceptance is no longer accepted by PSU. that is UM style under JH>
They are not going to take a scholarship from a walk-on that has been given a scholarship.

They are not going to take a scholarship from a walk-on that has been given a scholarship.

Not during the year. But coming to the 85 is based on the Fall 2019 I believe. And since "extra" scholarships awarded to walk on's are awarded on a yearly basis there could be a time when one is not renewed for the next season.

But it would seem that if Johnson comes back and is starting at MLB next year he would be on scholarship....

Reactions: TheGLOV
"Advanced Analytics"?

Can you count to 85?

th
Reminds me of 9th grade geometry class. There was a kid in our class who used to carry around a slide rule. He was into it. He did become an electrical engineer too. In class, though, he always volunteered to write his proofs. He'd get to about step 18 or so when our teacher would finally lose her patience and tell him to sit down. Then she'd erase what he'd written and do it in the 5 to 8 steps it took.

IIRC somebody said that 52 underclassmen were eligible to return but we also have 15 RS seniors who could return. Those 15 include kids like Stevens who I expect to return. 52+15 = 67 eligible to return. It's anybody's guess what players will head to the NFL and what players will leave for other reasons. If my numbers are wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me and call me an idiot.

The point I was trying to make to you is that PSU has the potential to return a very good team next year. The starting offense potentially only loses McSorley & Thompkins and the defense only loses Farmer, Scott, and Oruwariye. That would be quite a good team returning but what if we also lose 2 OL, 2 DL, and a WR (Johnson?), and a RB (Sanders)? That would make a huge difference.

iu

I love people worrying about this every year. Send an email to Andy Frank, he probably needs your help figuring it out.

Reminds me of 9th grade geometry class. There was a kid in our class who used to carry around a slide rule. He was into it. He did become an electrical engineer too. In class, though, he always volunteered to write his proofs. He'd get to about step 18 or so when our teacher would finally lose her patience and tell him to sit down. Then she'd erase what he'd written and do it in the 5 to 8 steps it took.
Wow... your teacher sounds like a dick

Reactions: Nittany1997
Wow... your teacher sounds like a dick
She didn't want anyone wasting HER time, a la Mr. Hand. She was all about gettin' through the lessons. It was pretty amusing at times. Damn good teacher. I liked her. The kid took it well too. She complimented him too. She didn't have to erase all of his proofs.

Last edited:
I think we just want to know how many we will take.
Just say "I think it is likely PSU takes 21 players in this class." or whatever. "substitute X for a number if you are a math major or engineer."

She didn't want anyone wasting HER time, a la Mr. Hand. She was all about gettin' through the lessons. It was pretty amusing at times. Damn good teacher. I liked her. The kid took it well too. She complimented him too. She didn't have erase all of his proofs.
I was trying to be TIC so I hope it didn't sound like I was being a dick... although all my high school teachers were Jesuit priests so I know what it's like to have a dick for a teacher.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I was trying to be TIC so I hope it didn't sound like I was being a dick... although all my high school teachers were Jesuit priests so I know what it's like to have a dick for a teacher.
Not at all. It's funny you mention priests. I lived in a neighborhood that was a pretty even mix of Catholics and Protestants. My Catholic friends used to tell me stories about nuns kicking the $hiT out of kids who we thought were tough guys. There was one kid in particular who we were told had his a$$ handed to him by some nun. We couldn't believe it. We all wished we had been there.

Last edited:
I think we just want to know how many we will take.
Just say "I think it is likely PSU takes 21 players in this class." or whatever. "substitute X for a number if you are a math major or engineer."

Really, being an engineer does not help.

The only advantage over the other guesses would be for a Mind Reader....

Reactions: eidolon21
Trevon Raphael.... WR out of Ohio

Anyone know anything about this kid?
Seems like he has some significant athletic ability - but it doesn't seem that he's being recruited much

Other issues?

If this kid has a clean off-the-field/injury slate, he might be the type of guy PSU might want to look at to get the WR roster up to a better number.

Interesting bio. 10.8 100MM, 4.5 40, one year of high school football, played a part of the season with a brace on a broken wrist. Appears to be a solid citizen and getting lots of looks. Has always planned on signing late. Labeled "raw". Would assume PSU is in contact.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Interesting bio. 10.8 100MM, 4.5 40, one year of high school football, played a part of the season with a brace on a broken wrist. Appears to be a solid citizen and getting lots of looks. Has always planned on signing late. Labeled "raw". Would assume PSU is in contact.

Yes, he is from Solon High School. Great speed, height and strength. Has questionable hands that were improving until he broke his wrist. Would show up late or not show up for practice which is why he was benched in the playoffs.

From maybe the best OSU recruiting writer, Birm

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state...ecruiting-zach-harrison-justin-fields-rumors/

I don’t encourage folks who follow recruiting to pay too much attention to crystal balls. But there are a few people tied to each program around the country that are worth paying attention to — and Sam Webb, who covers Michigan for 247Sports, is certainly one of them. He’s very well-connected with the Wolverines, so when he makes a move on a player they are recruiting, it’s worth noting.

On Tuesday morning, he changed his crystal ball away from Michigan to Ohio State. It’s my belief that he did so not because he knows Harrison is choosing the Buckeyes, but rather assumes as much because he’s been told Harrison has decided he’s not selecting Michigan.

I have tried at pretty much every turn to avoid writing about Zach Harrison, because when he knows about his college decision, he’ll make it public. I don’t believe he’s made up his mind, but if my assumption on Michigan’s fate is correct, the Ohio State odds have improved to 50 percent from 33 percent. That’s good news, I suppose.

I absolutely believe that Penn State is not being given enough of a chance in this recruitment. Franklin is an excellent recruiter. I think the decision by Meyer to retire actually helped Ohio State, and so does Harrison’s knowledge that Johnson isn’t going anywhere. I think his family would prefer he stay home but will absolutely support him anywhere he goes, and I think Harrison believes he’s capable of being developed well at Ohio State or Penn State — as he was with Michigan.

I still believe he wants to get away from home. That’s why I am not going to rule out Penn State at all. I know it’s not what anyone reading this is expecting, and I know there’s a 50-percent chance I’m wrong, but it’s been a guessing game in this recruitment for the last six months. I’m not too proud to admit that it is.

Whatever happens with Harrison on Wednesday will not be a surprise. I know it’s hard to digest, but this is absolutely something that could go either way. I think he wants to go away for college, and that’s why he’d pick Penn State along with how close he is to James Franklin. I know the speculation is that family and friends are pushing for him to stay home and pick Ohio State, but if he’s truly determined to get away for school I don’t think they’ll stop him from doing so.

So, final call? I think Zach Harrison picks Ohio State. But I know Penn State is a real option and a major threat.

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state...ecruiting-zach-harrison-justin-fields-rumors/

I don’t encourage folks who follow recruiting to pay too much attention to crystal balls. But there are a few people tied to each program around the country that are worth paying attention to — and Sam Webb, who covers Michigan for 247Sports, is certainly one of them. He’s very well-connected with the Wolverines, so when he makes a move on a player they are recruiting, it’s worth noting.

On Tuesday morning, he changed his crystal ball away from Michigan to Ohio State. It’s my belief that he did so not because he knows Harrison is choosing the Buckeyes, but rather assumes as much because he’s been told Harrison has decided he’s not selecting Michigan.

I have tried at pretty much every turn to avoid writing about Zach Harrison, because when he knows about his college decision, he’ll make it public. I don’t believe he’s made up his mind, but if my assumption on Michigan’s fate is correct, the Ohio State odds have improved to 50 percent from 33 percent. That’s good news, I suppose.

I absolutely believe that Penn State is not being given enough of a chance in this recruitment. Franklin is an excellent recruiter. I think the decision by Meyer to retire actually helped Ohio State, and so does Harrison’s knowledge that Johnson isn’t going anywhere. I think his family would prefer he stay home but will absolutely support him anywhere he goes, and I think Harrison believes he’s capable of being developed well at Ohio State or Penn State — as he was with Michigan.

I still believe he wants to get away from home. That’s why I am not going to rule out Penn State at all. I know it’s not what anyone reading this is expecting, and I know there’s a 50-percent chance I’m wrong, but it’s been a guessing game in this recruitment for the last six months. I’m not too proud to admit that it is.

Whatever happens with Harrison on Wednesday will not be a surprise. I know it’s hard to digest, but this is absolutely something that could go either way. I think he wants to go away for college, and that’s why he’d pick Penn State along with how close he is to James Franklin. I know the speculation is that family and friends are pushing for him to stay home and pick Ohio State, but if he’s truly determined to get away for school I don’t think they’ll stop him from doing so.

So, final call? I think Zach Harrison picks Ohio State. But I know Penn State is a real option and a major threat.

again... Id wager if given truth serum that ZH would admit OSU is not his first choice, but thats what is best for his family

‘Won’t be a surprise, but could go either way.’

Talk about covering your bases....

word down here on Nester...from someone that was at the family party (remember everyone,other than me, is related to everyone else), anyway from the party, Doug is definitely not signing the early date. He has a trip to PSU coming up (or is it up coming?) and he also has a trip to UGA coming. For the record, UGA has a local boy that works in the athletic department but not on the football staff (Its within their booster fund raising network) I dont know if he'll have anything to do or say about Doug, but maybe hello I lived where you live...

According to the info I got from the family, UGA was always second to OSU.. So we shall see.

‘Won’t be a surprise, but could go either way.’

Talk about covering your bases....
I have been and I’m still guessing OSU. Interesting take re: Michigan. But we haven’t plucked a top recruit out of OSU’s backyard since what, KiJana? And I have no info on this so I’m guessing like everyone else—but even Wiltfong thinks it’s OSU.

We’ll see. (Heck, if even the “experts” are non-commitall...)

Not at all. It's funny you mention priests. I lived in a neighborhood that was a pretty even mix of Catholics and Protestants. My Catholic friends used to tell me stories about nuns kicking the $hiT out of kids who we thought were tough guys. There was one kid in particular who we were told had his a$$ handed to him by some nun. We couldn't believe it. We all wished we had been there.

True about the nuns (well, some of them). My 7th grade teacher, a "Sister of Mercy" about 5 feet tall, old and wire thin, grabbed the toughest kid the first day, said "You think You are tough? Feel this muscle" as she flexed her biceps, and then said "You think you can take me? Go ahead, try." The Jesuits I had were for the most part very impressive and not at all prone to violence. The ones I knew preferred logic, philosophy, and rhetoric. However, a friend once saw a Jesuit HS teacher knock a guy out cold with one punch for mouthing off to him.

Tangential OT questions:
  • Is this site part of network like fansided, SBNation, or Basementmediaworks, type of deal?
  • Is there a Penn State version?
  • Lastly, why does eleven warriors spill details on OSU recruiting for free but RLR is very careful to never break anything themselves, always deferring to Fitz $ links. Not that there is anything wrong with that, Fitz and Ryan do a great job. Just trying to discern the difference in approach? i.e. is the Gleitman just not as good as Fitz?

Tangential OT questions:
  • Is this site part of network like fansided, SBNation, or Basementmediaworks, type of deal?
  • Is there a Penn State version?
  • Lastly, why does eleven warriors spill details on OSU recruiting for free but RLR is very careful to never break anything themselves, always deferring to Fitz $ links. Not that there is anything wrong with that, Fitz and Ryan do a great job. Just trying to discern the difference in approach? i.e. is the Gleitman just not as good as Fitz?
Gleitman is the best OSU insider around that isn't a pure homer. By far, it's not even close. He doesn't blow smoke up their butts and keeps it really level like Sean.

I believe Harrison will commit to Blue and White tomorrow. If he was going to O$U he would have already taken the easy way out and done so already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT