ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Why are we even having this discussion? CJF is going to recruit the best, even if they're in Florida. If they want to come here, we're supposed to tell them, "Oh, by the way, PSU is in the middle of nowhere and it's hard to get here?" Thanks for pointing out the "one connection" factor. Inane discussion. We're recruiting Florida and we should get used to the idea.
I don't disagree. Was merely responding to j.reacher's post where he seems to indicate recruits from Florida would have a problem with our location. If you go back thru the posts, he said recruits/coaches have to make a 3 hour drive from State College to an airport, get on a plane and then repeat the process going home. Simply not true!

Reactions: TheGLOV
I don't disagree. Was merely responding to j.reacher's post where he seems to indicate recruits from Florida would have a problem with our location. If you go back thru the posts, he said recruits/coaches have to make a 3 hour drive from State College to an airport, get on a plane and then repeat the process going home. Simply not true!
My post was meant to be a reply to reacher's, not yours. Agreed 100% with yours.

There is not the 3 hour drive to and from a major airport that you refer to. There are daily direct flights from Philadelphia and Washington, DC to University Park Airport. Recruits and their families would be looking at one connection.
You are assuming recruits can get to a direct flight to Philly or DC.

You are assuming recruits can get to a direct flight to Philly or DC.
This is a really stupid discussion but I'm jumping in anyway. Here are the options to get into University Park Airport:

United
Chicago O'Hare; 4 flights per day
Washington Dulles; 2 flights per day

American
Philadelphia; 4 flights per day

Delta
Detroit; 2 flights per day

That's 4 major airports with service into and out of University Park airport. I hope this ends the discussion.

This is a really stupid discussion but I'm jumping in anyway. Here are the options to get into University Park Airport:

United
Chicago O'Hare; 4 flights per day
Washington Dulles; 2 flights per day

American
Philadelphia; 4 flights per day

Delta
Detroit; 2 flights per day

That's 4 major airports with service into and out of University Park airport. I hope this ends the discussion.
Fondly do we hope, feverently do we pray, that this discussion will speedily pass away.

I think what some people fail to realize is that a top 100 kid from Florida is very likely no worse than top 10 in our primary recruiting region. It's not as if we are abandoning our typical foothold. It's a matter that '19 appears to be a down year, particularly in PA, in some spots and with the addition of a coach with recruiting ties in a specific area, it's logical.

To throw out a baseball analogy, you won't hit any of the pitches you don't swing at.

Its not like we hired a PA guy and assigned him to recruit 20+ FL players. Seider was in on these players prior to coming here. You can better believe that Saban will have Gattis all over the Fleming kid in our backyard. Fully expect his recruiting to be a battle with the Tide.

Meyer is definitely looking to return the favor to Franklin in PA. OSU offered 3* PA LB Keith MaGuire 6-2 215lbs. PSU hasn't offered.

5 star composite, #18 overall, CB from Louisiana

DVM9Q8wVQAEfcK0

Nyqee Hawkins with a few CB’s to VT including Fitz (VIP) I would assume considering the trend....this kid seemed like a PSU lock at one point

Nyqee Hawkins with a few CB’s to VT including Fitz (VIP) I would assume considering the trend....this kid seemed like a PSU lock at one point

He just had a visit to VT on Feb 3rd.
The list now has VT as the only Warm school.

PSU still leads in the predictions, but perhaps there is a trend underway. Will be interesting to see if he gets back to PSU this semester, to refresh the contacts.

He just had a visit to VT on Feb 3rd.
The list now has VT as the only Warm school.

PSU still leads in the predictions, but perhaps there is a trend underway. Will be interesting to see if he gets back to PSU this semester, to refresh the contacts.

If he wants early PT, he's not getting it here. Maybe that was explained to him by the VT guys.
Not to sound like some other schools but there is some evidence that PSU actually cooled on him. They've been looking at a lot of other corners.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Not to sound like some other schools but there is some evidence that PSU actually cooled on him. They've been looking at a lot of other corners.

Yep. Wasn't he on "commit watch" a while back? There are a number of reasons that recruits don't commit.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...nsive-guard-justin-rogers-recap-weekend-visit

MEYER VS FRANKLIN, ONCE AGAIN
While the weekend centered mostly around the offensive line, several top defensive targets also made the trip to Columbus, including Baltimore St. Frances Academy four-star linebacker Shane Lee.

The visit — which was somewhat unexpected — wasn’t his first time on campus, but answered a few remaining questions he had about the program.

“I saw pretty much everything [left to see],” Lee told Eleven Warriors. “I saw the campus, dorms and the stadium.”

The 6-foot-1, 240-pound Lee is considered the second-best inside linebacker and No. 58 prospect overall in the Class of 2019, and was named first-team all-state after leading the Panthers to the Maryland Association A Conference championship last season. He holds offers from more than a dozen programs, including Clemson, Florida State, LSU, Maryland, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State.

Lee was last on campus for Friday Night Lights in July, and he's been able to build a strong relationship with linebackers coach Bill Davis and defensive line coach and area recruiter Larry Johnson in the months since.

“It's only gotten better as time has passed,” he said.

Lee has not released a list of top schools just yet, but I'm 100 percent certain the Buckeyes, Nittany Lions will make the cut when he does. His recruitment will likely mirror that of Maryland four-star offensive tackle Rasheed Walker last recruiting cycle, but they're certainly hoping the end result is different.

Reactions: Nittany Security
Seriously? Almost every major city in the US has direct flights to Philly and/or DC. Baton Rouge is not a major city, but New Orleans is.

Not every recruit in Florida lives comfortably near a major city. The point being made is that the travel situation to State College is a fairly large hurdle that must be overcome in recruiting outside of our footprint. Even if a recruit lives in Miami, you are likely looking at 2 flights to State College and possibly 1 flight to other schools (or zero to UM) with whom we are competing.

If we had any other coach with average recruiting skills, I would say it is a waste of resources, especially given the competition in Florida for these recruits. Recruiting Florida is not going to be as easy for PSU as recruiting Maryland or New Jersey.

However, I believe Franklin and his staff are extraordinary, top 1 percent recruiters and can go head to head with anyone. I also think that if we were ever going to try to establish a presence in Florida, this is the year to do so given our recent success on the field and the lack of talent in Pennsylvania in 2019. Hopefully they can overcome the hurdles and pull some talent out of Florida.

Damnit! Stop the freaking city and airport discussion. If anyone else has an opinion on it, start a new thread and in your post type the @ symbol and then the name of the posters you want to see it. They will get a notification. 2019 is just getting up and running and we're already side tracked.

Damnit! Stop the freaking city and airport discussion. If anyone else has an opinion on it, start a new thread and in your post type the @ symbol and then the name of the posters you want to see it. They will get a notification. 2019 is just getting up and running and we're already side tracked.

Franklin is recruiting at a level rarely if ever seen at Penn State, but we have posters who have a better handle on the strategy he should be using. Classic.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...nsive-guard-justin-rogers-recap-weekend-visit

While the weekend centered mostly around the offensive line, several top defensive targets also made the trip to Columbus, including Baltimore St. Frances Academy four-star linebacker Shane Lee.

The visit — which was somewhat unexpected — wasn’t his first time on campus, but answered a few remaining questions he had about the program.

“I saw pretty much everything [left to see],” Lee told Eleven Warriors. “I saw the campus, dorms and the stadium.”

The 6-foot-1, 240-pound Lee is considered the second-best inside linebacker and No. 58 prospect overall in the Class of 2019, and was named first-team all-state after leading the Panthers to the Maryland Association A Conference championship last season. He holds offers from more than a dozen programs, including Clemson, Florida State, LSU, Maryland, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State.

Lee was last on campus for Friday Night Lights in July, and he's been able to build a strong relationship with linebackers coach Bill Davis and defensive line coach and area recruiter Larry Johnson in the months since.

Lee has not released a list of top schools just yet, but I'm 100 percent certain the Buckeyes, Nittany Lions will make the cut when he does. His recruitment will likely mirror that of Maryland four-star offensive tackle Rasheed Walker last recruiting cycle, but they're certainly hoping the end result is different.

At this point, Lee is my number 1 recruit priority for 2019... Key position, existing recruiting footprint, and high end talent.

Sucknuts still speculating about CJF negatively recruiting OSU. Almost wish he would.

ADVERTISEMENT