ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

It looks like Wiltfong, Dohn, and Sean Fitz have all put in Crystal Balls (CB's) for D'Von Ellies to Penn State. Penn State now has 85% of the CBs and the 15% for Ohio State were from CBs placed back in July/August. For those of you who may not know, D'Von Ellies was high school teammates with PJ Mustipher, and they both lined up on the Defensive Line together in high school. They were also teammates and friends with Jordan McNair, the former Maryland football player who passed away this past summer.

Sounds like Noah Cain's commitment is going to come down to where the running back dominoes fall. John Emery, a 5 star RB, who recently decommitted from Georgia, is poised to commit to LSU, who is one of Cain's favorite programs. Trey Sanders, a 5 star RB, who is Cain's teammate at IMG, is flirting with the top SEC programs and Texas, who is another of Cain's favorite programs. Sanders is announcing on Dec. 19th, and with Emery's recent decommitment, he will probably drag his commitment out, which may push Cain's commitment out too. Sounds like Cain's mother and Noah are a fan of PSU, but similar to the Marcus Lattimore recruitment of 10 years ago, it's going to be hard to get a top southern running back out of the south.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I'd say that the Cain sweeps is officially down to the good guys and Texas. It seems like he and his family love the staff here but will it be enough to pull him away from the south? He's originally from Texas, correct? Based on recruiting rankings, it seems like the two schools have similar current/future depth charts.

Why do PSU fans always bring up the lame argument of geography? Someone better tell Garrett and Hamler and Koa and Sutherland and Trent and Tommy and Windsor and last year Tampa Bay area receuits pick PSU?

I'd say that the Cain sweeps is officially down to the good guys and Texas. It seems like he and his family love the staff here but will it be enough to pull him away from the south? He's originally from Texas, correct? Based on recruiting rankings, it seems like the two schools have similar current/future depth charts.
PSU's depth chart could be absolutely insane. Sanders, Holmes, Slade, Brown, Ford and Cain. Even without Sanders and Cain, there will be a lot of stars in the backfield.

Reactions: ELDADDY and TheGLOV
Why do PSU fans always bring up the lame argument of geography? Someone better tell Garrett and Hamler and Koa and Sutherland and Trent and Tommy and Windsor and last year Tampa Bay area receuits pick PSU?

The kid is from Texas and goes to school in Florida - it’s a logical thought that he wouldn’t go far from home, as is with most recruits. You bring up 8 players from our 85 man roster - meaning that 91% of our players come from our close recruiting territory. So, it would seem that a majority of our roster comes from within driving distance to campus. It’s not a “lame” argument, it’s logical reasoning.

By the way, Taylor and Sutherland are from Virginia? A recruiting hotbed for us. Stevens and Hamler come from Indiana and Michigan - not exactly Florida or Texas. You don’t seem too intelligent, just saying.

I
The kid is from Texas and goes to school in Florida - it’s a logical thought that he wouldn’t go far from home, as is with most recruits. You bring up 8 players from our 85 man roster - meaning that 91% of our players come from our close recruiting territory. So, it would seem that a majority of our roster comes from within driving distance to campus. It’s not a “lame” argument, it’s logical reasoning.

By the way, Taylor and Sutherland are from Virginia? A recruiting hotbed for us. Stevens and Hamler come from Indiana and Michigan - not exactly Florida or Texas. You don’t seem too intelligent, just saying.

It's logical to you that a kid that goes to high school far away from home would not go to college far away from home. Aristotle, Plato, Socrates and I are LOAs Off. WTF are you taking man! Jonathan Sutherland was originally from Canada and played his his ball at Episcopal a Catholic School in Alexandria, Va. I was mistaken about Garrett Taylor. However, Armani from Fl.... Joseph from Brampton, Canada, Gilikin Ga, Pinegar Iowa, DJ Brown GA... need to be added to my original list and Garrett Taylor taken off.... get over your silly self.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey Lion

He considers Baton Rouge to be home, and has attended school in Texas and Florida - that would indicate to me that distance isn’t too much of a concern for him or for his family, at least not compared to other factors.

Bradenton (IMG) is about 900 miles from the Texas border. Distance doesn't seem to be a problem for him.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Hamler is from Michigan and just went down to IMG his senior year, which he regretted doing considering he tore his acl before the first game.

Agree on others its not unheard of for kids to travel to come to PSU, just not as likely with southern roots and all of the southern schools down there to choose from.

It is behind a paywall, but Wiltfong put in a CB yesterday for Cain, and it doesn't appear that it was for the good guys, anyone able to confirm that one?

Texas people seem to think Cain is in the bag now. I think Ford is probably the better player watching both films but would still love 2 big time backs in this class.

Bradenton (IMG) is about 900 miles from the Texas border. Distance doesn't seem to be a problem for him.
A ton of IMG players aren't from FL so him returning home isn't a shock if it occurs. The CB's that came in yesterday were all fluff, but there could be something to them. Nobody from the PSU side or Wiltfong has made any moves. Texas guys may have better knowledge of other people surrounding the recruitment.

Last edited:
Random recruiting ramblings from an outsider:

Harrison to Michigan seems to be picking up steam.

Adisa Isaac has seemingly been all PSU outside of that weird LSU moment. I wonder if he has a specific commitment date in mind or if he's still hoping for another offer.

Things are looking up for our chances with D'von Ellies. I wonder if we would take him and Harrison-Hunte.

I have to wonder if David Bell is waiting to see what happens with the coaching situation at Purdue. Also, the Boilermakers have regressed to the mean after that beatdown of the Buckeyes.

We seem to be in the top 2 with Cain, is it him or bust at this point for a second RB?

Last edited:

Adisa Isaac has seemingly been all PSU outside of that weird LSU moment. I wonder if he has a specific commitment date in mind or if he's still hoping for another offer.

Things are looking up for our chances with D'von Ellies. I wonder if we would take him and Harrison-Hunte.

I have to wonder if David Bell is waiting to see what happens with the coaching situation at Purdue. Also, the Boilermakers have regressed to the mean after that beatdown of the Buckeyes.

We seem to be in the top 2 with Cain, is it him or bust at this point for a second RB?

I just watched Harrison's senior film. Yikes. There is a big improvement between his junior and senior seasons, and he looks like a monster. Much better technique this season. Love Isaac, but Harrison is on another level. If Michigan gets him that's bad news for the rest of the division.

Adisa Issac jumped to #61 in the recent 247 updated. Might be worrying too much but I'm starting to get a Christen Wilkins feeling about him

Considering we have (maybe) 1 DT in this class I would hope we would take 2 good ones if they want to come here

Agree on Bell. Cornelius Johnson has been flying under the radar in this thread- has Official Visits to us (12/7) and Michigan (12/14) lined up

We seem to be in a good spot with Marc-Anthony Richards from Miami as a 2nd RB, but he just pushed back his announcement date to Signing Day so not sure what to make of that

When was the last time a big time HS Star from Columbus went to Michigan? I can’t ever remember one.... if Harrison leaves home it’s over to UP!

When was the last time a big time HS Star from Columbus went to Michigan? I can’t ever remember one.... if Harrison leaves home it’s over to UP!

From Columbus? Dunno. But the biggest I can recall from OH > Michigan is Charles Woodson. My guess is there have been others.

Good point. And I hope you’re right. And that Harrison leaves his home town.
Although completely irrelevant, I keep reminding myself that Columbus was practically KiJana’s backyard.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Because it's not a "lame argument." Geography is one of many key factors that are pertinent. To some kids it is meaningless, even a negative to stay close (as may be the case with Harrison). But to many, staying close to family and friends makes it easier for them to attend games. It lowers travel costs.

I remember a study done a few years ago on factors impacting the choice of schools by football recruits. Proximity to home was near the top of the list.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Noah Cain picked up some CBs to Texas today

Noah visited Texas on an OV the week prior (11/3) to taking his OV to Penn State (11/10)

Still think Penn State lands 1 of the following 3 as the 2nd RB in the 2019 class: Noah Cain, Tyrion Davis (LSU commit), or Mark-Antony Richards

Reactions: TheGLOV
New Because it's not a "lame argument." Geography is one of many key factors that are pertinent. .... staying close to family and friends makes it easier for them to attend games. It lowers travel costs.
And frequently helps with seeking employment following graduation if/when the NFL doesn’t work out.

Geography matters. It’s not a bad thing that PSU has the closest major football program to NYC. Still a distance, but doesn’t hurt. And the Philly and Pittsburgh metro areas aren’t bad either. Depending on a recruit’s long-term aspirations.

And frequently helps with seeking employment following graduation if/when the NFL doesn’t work out.

Geography matters. It’s not a bad thing that PSU has the closest major football program to NYC. Still a distance, but doesn’t hurt. And the Philly and Pittsburgh metro areas aren’t bad either. Depending on a recruit’s long-term aspirations.

As is the DC area.

Geography has been a huge benefit to Penn State. What is the competition from schools located north of South Carolina and east of Ohio? No comparison in terms of fanbase, tradition, facilities, etc. The area is beautiful and the town just right in so many ways, yet within a day trip of these huge metro areas. I can't think of any schools east of the Mississippi with the same advantages.

Why do we lose so many New Jersey studs elsewhere. Seems geography is ignored there.

I'd be willing to bet that most of those "studs" see an easier path to the NFL, an NC, or both if they go elsewhere, i.e., some may not want to be students, or feel that being students is unnecessary. Some may prefer a different coaching staff. I'd guess those are the main reasons, among the "studs."

Reactions: Carl Spackler
I'd be willing to bet that most of those "studs" see an easier path to the NFL, an NC, or both if they go elsewhere, i.e., some may not want to be students, or feel that being students is unnecessary. Some may prefer a different coaching staff. I'd guess those are the main reasons, among the "studs."

There are any number of factors that go into a kid's decision to select a college. A football player just has more of them. Proximity to home and family is one of them, but it's certainly not the only one.

Still think Penn State lands 1 of the following 3 as the 2nd RB in the 2019 class: Noah Cain, Tyrion Davis (LSU commit), or Mark-Antony Richards[/QUOTE]

I watched all the tape I could find on Noah Cain and he doesn't look fast. He never outruns the defense the way most of the running backs we recruit can. He does have some wiggle and breaks tackles but his longest run looks to be 30 yards. Tyrion Davis looks spectacular and would be a great addition but last I heard he said he was solid to LSU.

ADVERTISEMENT