ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Zach Harrison was at Michigan on Saturday. Obviously it was a fun environment

Steve Wiltfong @SWiltfong247

Went foggy on my @247CrystalBall forecast for five-star DE Zach Harrison. #Michigan seems to be gaining momentum with the blue-chipper and No. 2 recruit in the Top247 Player Rankings: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-recruiting-updates-blog-for-October-122779654/ …

The Lewis Center (Ohio) product took an unofficial visit for the night game against Wisconsin, and Steve Lorenz of The Michigan Insider offered some insights ($) on who is fading on the list.

“Honestly, if I was putting a 247Sports Crystal Ball in today, it would not be to Ohio State,” he said. “I don’t know where it would be, but based on everything I’ve heard when asked, I don’t think it’d be the Buckeyes today. That doesn’t mean this can’t change.”

Interesting comments from Lorenz- seems the only options are OSU, PSU and Michigan. So if its not OSU I would expect him to say it would be Michigan

Reactions: jimjim47 and 81b&w
Three weeks ago I thought we had a good shot for Harrison, maybe even the lead. I no longer think that. We lost two games we should have won, and I don't see a win in Ann Arbor as even remotely possible, given what we just saw from the zebras. That means the record this year will trend worse, not the same or better than last year.

Elite athletes tend to gravitate to whichever school provides them a chance to be part of an NC team. 2nd factor is proximity to home, so that friends/family can come watch. I'll speculate that "family feel" is 3rd in my list of importance, on average. With Franklin we are tops for that. But....recall that even Parsons was headed to OSU until some odd circumstances closed that door, despite his home right down the road from PSU.

So I think Harrison chooses the Michigan-OSU game winner, an indication of how these teams are trending. Time will pass and our white-out atmosphere will tend towards gray in the rearview mirror, just as with time Urban's nose will appear shorter. A Michigan win would show that they are a program back on the rise.

That said, like all of us, I would welcome Zach with enthusiasm should my crystal ball turn out wrong. This is the one recruit that would make the biggest difference to our program, IMHO.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Three weeks ago I thought we had a good shot for Harrison, maybe even the lead. I no longer think that. We lost two games we should have won, and I don't see a win in Ann Arbor as even remotely possible, given what we just saw from the zebras. That means the record this year will trend worse, not the same or better than last year.

Elite athletes tend to gravitate to whichever school provides them a chance to be part of an NC team. 2nd factor is proximity to home, so that friends/family can come watch. I'll speculate that "family feel" is 3rd in my list of importance, on average. With Franklin we are tops for that. But....recall that even Parsons was headed to OSU until some odd circumstances closed that door, despite his home right down the road from PSU.

So I think Harrison chooses the Michigan-OSU game winner, an indication of how these teams are trending. Time will pass and our white-out atmosphere will tend towards gray in the rearview mirror, just as with time Urban's nose will appear shorter. A Michigan win would show that they are a program back on the rise.

That said, like all of us, I would welcome Zach with enthusiasm should my crystal ball turn out wrong. This is the one recruit that would make the biggest difference to our program, IMHO.

That's 30 seconds I'll never get back.

I guess we should just forfeit the UM game and stop recruiting all 5* kids then, just tell them to go to Bama and OSU.

We lost two games we should have won, and I don't see a win in Ann Arbor as even remotely possible
lol-stereotypes_o_1228227.jpg

an indication of how these teams are trending
Who returns the most starters?

Other than your post, that thread is a disaster

Recruit reactions....

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...State-for-Ohio-State-football-game-122701071/

“The environment is unreal,” four-star receiver commit Emery Simmons said. He was one of several future Nittany Lions back for the instant classic. “I’m just blessed I have the opportunity to play in something like this for the next four years. The highlights for me were just being their and seeing how the fans can play a huge part in a football game and feeding off of that energy.”

The Nittany Lions are currently sitting on the nation’s No. 15 recruiting class per the 247Sports Composite, good for No. 3 in the Big Ten. There were several official visitors on campus including Top247 defensive end Adisa Isaac, Top247 receiver David Bell and four-star tight end Brenton Strange. Others that returned to campus included five-star defensive end Zach Harrison.

The 2020 group was loaded as well headlined by the nation’s No. 1 recruit in defensive end Bryan Bresee and fellow five-stars in the nation’s No. 1 receiver Julian Fleming and the nation's No. 1 all-purpose back Chris Tyree.

"Atmosphere was crazy!" Tyree said. "Full of energy. Highlight for me was just being able to enjoy that high energy feeling from the recruits, fans, players, all the way up to the coaches. You have to see it to appreciate."

“It was crazy,” Fleming said. The top recruit in Pennsylvania has been to several PSU games this fall. “It’s hard to pick out one thing. It was just a great experience all together.”

Fleming said he “close to” already feeling like he’s part of the program.

“I know almost all the people as soon as I get in the entrance and they know me too and I’m starting to talk to a lot more players too,” Fleming added.

Bresee and Fleming were two of the many Top247 juniors in the stands.

“The environment was crazy with the White Out,” the No. 1 athlete in the country Arik Gilbert said.

Fort Washington (Md.) National Christian Academy Top247 offensive tackle Aaryn Parks said Penn State is his early leader.

“The environment was off the roof!” Parks said. “The o-line really knows how to zone block very well and they really, really play together. Penn State stands very high on my list.Unlike some programs Penn State’s atmosphere is one of the craziest atmospheres ever!”

Several other 2020s spoke on their experience as well.

"The atmosphere was great, the crowd was going crazy," Salisbury (Md.) Wicomico Top247 lineman Dominic Bailey said.

"It was a crazy," Top247 defensive end Fadil Diggs said. "Experience I would love to go back for another one. Penn State played hard and they also played great defense."

“That was the best atmosphere I’ve ever been a part of, and it wasn’t just for the beginning of the game it was for the whole game so the environment is very electric,” West Bloomfield (Mich.) High Top247 safety Makari Paige said. “It’s really a Happy Valley.”

"Fans show lots of love, amazing atmosphere, I love it here to be honest," Top247 safety Nehki Meredith of Virginia Beach (Va.) Bishop Sullivan said. "Energy from the fans and I just like how Penn State battled to the end."

“Being at the Penn State game was just very exciting,” Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha Top247 defensive lineman Coziah Izzard said. “The atmosphere was crazy and I enjoyed every bit of it. Trace McSorley was an amazing quarterback this game. He put on a show. But (DeMatha alum and Ohio State defensive end) Chase Young did as well. He had some big stops in the Ohio State defense. Overall the game was great! Can’t wait to be at another Penn State game!”

“Atmosphere like no other,” Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas Top247 outside linebacker Derek Wingo said. “Never been any place like it. They’re a young and rising team.”

Penn State has extended a few 2021 offers and Franklin and company were happy to see some of those faces on campus.

“The environment was crazy!” Pickerington (Ohio) North defensive end Jack Sawyer said. He is the No. 3 recruit in the country in the Top247 2021 Player Rankings. “Loudest game I’ve ever been to. What stands out to me is how they are all such a tight unit and family and the fan base is the same way.”

“The atmosphere was great,” Baltimore (Md.) Mount Saint Joseph receiver Dont'e Thornton said. “The highlight of the game for me might’ve been seeing Juwan Johnson’s one-handed catch.”

"The environment was like no other," the nation's No. 3 running back Evan Pryor said. "My ears almost fell off, my heartbeat was on a different level. My highlight was seeing the whole stadium sing Sweet Caroline together. That was really cool."

Stay tuned for more recruit reaction from Penn State.

Zach Harrison and Trevor Keegan (grand parents attended Michigan,mom cried when Michigan offered last year) both attended the Wisconsin game and are predicted to go to Michigan. If Harrison signs with Michigan they will have 3 five stars (Hinton , Hill, Harrison) and move from 8th in the nation to top 5 for 2019. For those thinking Harbaugh and Michigan can not recruit like OSU and PSU!

Zach Harrison and Trevor Keegan (grand parents attended Michigan,mom cried when Michigan offered last year) both attended the Wisconsin game and are predicted to go to Michigan. If Harrison signs with Michigan they will have 3 five stars (Hinton , Hill, Harrison) and move from 8th in the nation to top 5 for 2019. For those thinking Harbaugh and Michigan can not recruit like OSU and PSU!
giphy.gif

You sound pretty proud there...good job.

Hairball sure knows how to pick 'em.

With 23 verbals I guess Jimmy is going to have to run off those 'under the radar' 'they were great at camp!' 3 stars you guys loved a couple months ago

Predicted by who, Michigan “insiders”? None of the national gurus are saying that.

Zach Harrison was at Michigan on Saturday. Obviously it was a fun environment

Steve Wiltfong @SWiltfong247

Went foggy on my @247CrystalBall forecast for five-star DE Zach Harrison. #Michigan seems to be gaining momentum with the blue-chipper and No. 2 recruit in the Top247 Player Rankings: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-recruiting-updates-blog-for-October-122779654/ …

The Lewis Center (Ohio) product took an unofficial visit for the night game against Wisconsin, and Steve Lorenz of The Michigan Insider offered some insights ($) on who is fading on the list.

“Honestly, if I was putting a 247Sports Crystal Ball in today, it would not be to Ohio State,” he said. “I don’t know where it would be, but based on everything I’ve heard when asked, I don’t think it’d be the Buckeyes today. That doesn’t mean this can’t change.”

Interesting comments from Lorenz- seems the only options are OSU, PSU and Michigan. So if its not OSU I would expect him to say it would be Michigan

Eleven Warriors forum

Spartan13 35 MINUTES AGO
Wiltfong wrote a story on Harrison on 247 but I am blocked by the pay wall anybody wanna give a synopsis

Osu244 8 MINUTES AGO
Basically said he's hearing ohio state is running 3rd..Bill K commented he will have something on Harrison tonight or tomorrow night. Not sounding good.

Eleven Warriors forum

Spartan13 35 MINUTES AGO
Wiltfong wrote a story on Harrison on 247 but I am blocked by the pay wall anybody wanna give a synopsis

Osu244 8 MINUTES AGO
Basically said he's hearing ohio state is running 3rd..Bill K commented he will have something on Harrison tonight or tomorrow night. Not sounding good.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but that, combined with Lorenz not calling michigan the leader makes me think we're in the lead.

And Witfong's quote from his tweet is Michigan is 'gaining momentum.' If you're already in the lead its hard to gain momentum I would say.

Crazy?

2019 verbal commit Emery Simmons is having a big year, just selected to NC Shrine Bowl team.

South View’s Simmons, Scotland’s McQueen named to Shrine Bowl

South View wide receiver Emery Simmons will help represent North Carolina at the 2018 Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas.

The 6-foot-2 Penn State recruit is the lone Cumberland County player selected to the bowl game’s rosters, which were released Sunday. Scotland running back Syheam McQueen also made the list from the Cape Fear region.

Billed as the oldest high school all-star game in the country, the Shrine Bowl will hold its 82nd annual competition Dec. 15 at Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The event raises funds for Shriners Hospitals for Children.

South View coach Rodney Brewington said Simmons’ versatility at the receiver position made him an ideal pick for the team.

“A kid like Emery, with his skill set and his ability to play slot, his ability to play on the outside, he just possesses the skill set that any coordinator would want,” Brewington said. “He can stretch the field, and like coaches like to say, he can wiggle, playing the slot receiver.”

Brewington said Simmons was selected despite not participating in the Shrine Bowl evaluation combines due to injury and scheduling conflicts.

“He kind of felt like he wasn’t going to be selected to the team,” the coach said. “But I think the season he’s putting up, his highlight film, his first four games, the coaches were really impressed by him.”

Through eight games, Simmons has caught 40 receptions for 775 yards and 12 touchdowns. He’s also a threat on special teams, averaging 27 yards on kick returns and scoring one touchdown.

https://www.fayobserver.com/sports/...immons-scotlands-mcqueen-named-to-shrine-bowl

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/big-ten-spotlight-early-signing-period-predictions

BIG TEN RECRUITING CHAMPION: Penn State

Am I really picking against the eight-time defending champion?!? Ohio State has been atop the Big Ten team recruiting rankings every year since 2010, but this 2019 class has been a unique one for the Buckeyes with a summer situation that resulted in a suspension for Urban Meyer and a month-long period of recruiting stagnation.

Currently Michigan stands atop the Big Ten team recruiting rankings, but the Wolverines have already passed the 20-commit threshold and each additional commit only replaces commits previously counted. Penn State, however, sits less than 100 points behind the Wolverines and has just 17 commitments, while Ohio State is in third place with 14 commitments.

While a small number of commitments means there is a lot of opportunity for Ohio State, the Buckeyes would have to rally for an impressive stretch recruiting run to make it nine-straight titles. Penn State has three more commitments, but the Buckeyes would have to average 110 points for each of their next three commitments to be on even terms with the Nittany Lions. That is the equivalent of a 5.8 four-star with some added Rivals250 bonus points for each – certainly within the realm of possibility, but not close to a sure thing.

(story continues)

Reactions: Judge Smails
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT