ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Two good seasons does not a successful career make. CJF caught lightening in a bottle with the combination of: 1) hiring FCS coach Joe Morehead based on his presentation at a coaches' clinic, 2) offering a QB no FCS school wanted at the position but us, and 2) choosing a RB whose best FCS offer was Rutgers. That's catching lightening in a bottle. I'll withhold judgement until I see long, sustained performance. In the meantime we can cheer him on, can't we? I mean, without being a "chest thumpers." Get a grip with your 'I told you so' schtick.

Look, it all depends on your expectations for the program and where you want to be. If you want to be 'pissing on the tall weeds with the big dogs' then these past four years warrant some cautious optimism.

I thank you!
Two good seasons? He got 9 wins in his 2nd and third seasons at Vanderbilt. Take a look at what Vandy did before and after. seems like he is good at catching lightning in a bottle.

Then again, perhaps it was because the QB's skill set didn't fit into the new system. Not to mention that QB is still on a NFL roster. Should count for something, eh?

So is EJ Manuel. How much is it worth? He’s only on a roster because of his 5* high school rating, his now dirt cheap price tag, and the rantings of one Jon Gruden. Did you read ANY of the press coverage out of the Jets camp on him over the last two years? The team that brought you butt fumble and Gino Smiths broken jaw wouldn’t let him anywhere near meaningful game reps.

I love the guy for how he stuck with us, but WEAK argument.

Reactions: sigchip_a_yahoo.com
I don’t think DE recruiting changes for 2019: it’s Isaac and Harrison, and I’m not sure if there are really any more guys on the list save for guys pretty far down on the B-list.

I do think it might open up room for Porter - but that might depend on whether the staff actually saw Miner’s long-term future at safety. Porter’s a safety (or linebacker) all the way.

Reactions: bmw199
ONE MILLION VIEWS

xfog66.gif

I don’t think DE recruiting changes for 2019: it’s Isaac and Harrison, and I’m not sure if there are really any more guys on the list save for guys pretty far down on the B-list.

I do think it might open up room for Porter - but that might depend on whether the staff actually saw Miner’s long-term future at safety. Porter’s a safety (or linebacker) all the way.
Yeah, Plan B might look a little shaky at this point.

But, let's remember, this recruiting process overall has moved up so much timewise that teams now seem intent on filling a large majority of their class before the prospects play a single down in their senior year. Late bloomers still exist and a good staff should be able to be flexible as the year progresses. I believe Coach Franklin and his staff can still get good prospects even if the current targets go elsewhere.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I think a OT and a DT are also critical takes at this point. plus new replacements forthose just mentioned,
Well just in the last month or so 4 new ships opened up so the class will certainly be north of 20. The staff if you listened to JF last night knew this for a while or had a good idea and that is why they are still recruiting some decent numbers.

Yeah, Plan B might look a little shaky at this point.

But, let's remember, this recruiting process overall has moved up so much timewise that teams now seem intent on filling a large majority of their class before the prospects play a single down in their senior year. Late bloomers still exist and a good staff should be able to be flexible as the year progresses. I believe Coach Franklin and his staff can still get good prospects even if the current targets go elsewhere.

I don't share your pessimism regarding CJF's ability to find a good player at any position later in a cycle. He has done it every year. Sometimes by getting involved with uncommitted players, and sometimes by flipping a player. And I would be surprised if he does not add another player capable of playing CB in this cycle. But that player also could be looked at as a Safety by others.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I don't share your pessimism regarding CJF's ability to find a good player at any position later in a cycle. He has done it every year. And I would be surprised if he does not add another player capable of playing CB in this cycle. But that player also could be looked at as a Safety by others.
Greg, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I agree with what you're saying. Basically just making a comment on late bloomers and how they should factor in.

Maybe Kelly.

Well just in the last month or so 4 new ships opened up so the class will certainly be north of 20. The staff if you listened to JF last night knew this for a while or had a good idea and that is why they are still recruiting some decent numbers.
I'd bet we are looking at the full package of 25.

I'd bet we are looking at the full package of 25.
That’s be great. CJF seems pretty good at managing the numbers and finding talent for the spots. The other greats like CUM (whatever folks think of him) are solid coaches, recruiters and organizational managers, whether through their own abilities or through the right people and systems. If PSU 2019 recruiting gets to/near 25 without backlash, that’d really show some impressive communication and roster management.

I'l begin with an open admission that I have been a firm rider on the James Franklin Train since the beginning. But I based my initial optimism on his tremendous success at Vanderbilt, the SEC's Northwestern.

It amazes me that some PSU fans just rave about Fitzgerald at NW, but can't quite bring themselves to acknowledge what Franklin did at Vandy. I remember reading about how the SEC was "down" the years he there. Yet, look at what Vandy did and has done before and after Franklin's years as HC.

Now compare those records to what we saw at Stanford, before and after Harbaugh. Dr. Sleepover had that 1 good year at Stanford -- with David Shaw as his OC -- and the world anointed him Master of the World. However, look at what Stanford has done after Jimmah left. Certainly not worse that Harbaugh's 4 years there. But now look at how Vanderbilt has done since James left. Clearly, worse.

Why some still have doubts escapes me. Franklin has proven to be a elite HC, one worthy of discussion among the better ones in CFB. While I still think Saban and Meyer are due rankings of 1 & 2, Franklin certainly deserves consideration as a top 5 HC in the country.

I was not very happy early on with Coach Franklin just from a basic game management perspective i.e. when to call timeouts, going for it on 4th vs. punting, game clock play calling-hurry up etc.

But everyone needs some time to find their seat get comfortable and get your house in order and he did---he is adding on additions and he has built a McMansion right now and we are close to being a Mansion real soon...

I posted this in Jan 2017-We ARE Trending well Nittany Nation!!

With the eve of the MNC upon us and looking at what Dabo has done his first full 3 years w/Clemson I would say that we have some parity and are trending very well regarding: recruiting, W/L records, and Bowl wins;

2009 Clemson 9–5 6–2 1st (Atlantic) W Music City 24
2010 Clemson 6–7 4–4 T–4th (Atlantic) L Meineke Car Care
2011 Clemson 10–4 6–2 1st (Atlantic) L Orange
25-16 = Win %.609

2014 Penn State 7–6 2–6 6th (East) W Pinstripe
2015 Penn State 7–6 4–4 4th (East) L TaxSlayer
2016 Penn State 11–3 8–1 T–1st (East) L Rose
25-15 =Win % .625

Recruiting Rankings;

Clemson
2009 #39
2010 #20
2011 #8

AVG. over 3 yrs. =22

PSU
2014 #25
2015 #15
2016 #23

AVG. over 3 yrs. =21

And yes we had a lot more to deal with...Our future is BRIGHT!!!

1 ftlpsu, Jan 9, 2017

Franklin was and is the right man for the job-very happy with everything he is doing and so are most if not all of the well known former Lions here in SoFLA.

We will be 10-2 this year and nothing wrong with that! Next year its on like Donkey Kong!

I was not very happy early on with Coach Franklin just from a basic game management perspective i.e. when to call timeouts, going for it on 4th vs. punting, game clock play calling-hurry up etc.

Our punting was horrendous then, so going for it might have been better odds in our favor. As for the sideline chaos, remember some of these kids were playing under their 3rd or 4th position coaches / coordinators / head coaches in 4 seasons. It takes time for everyone to get on the same page. Imagine how bad we could have been if CJF wasn't so darn organized and prepared.

Some were predicting us to be like Rutgers for a while, yet we went to bowl games despite not having the right players for the system, having very limited depth (6 scholarship OL's returned from 2013 and one got injured in the spring???), and a bunch of players that didn't exactly buy into Franklin's personality right away.

I could never understand why people were down on the guy. He had me from his introductory press conference. I just knew he was going to be the right guy.

Recruiting assessment in order of position depth priority?

1. OT
2. CB
3. S
4. ???

Recruiting Player wish list?

1. Zach Harrison
2. Lewis Cine
3. ???

Recruiting assessment in order of position depth priority?

1. OT
2. CB
3. S
4. ???

Recruiting Player wish list?

1. Zach Harrison
2. Lewis Cine
3. ???

You got some nerve talking recruiting here. I think you want the 2019 recruiting thread.

Oh wait.....

Seriously thanks for attempting to get it back on track. I’m with you on needing DB’s.

Culture.

https://thefootballletter.com/2014/08/11/the-legends-of-94/

MILNE: In March of my junior year, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease. They found a grapefruit-sized tumor on my heart. I had six months of chemotherapy and several serious surgeries: one that took out my tumor, one that took my spleen. I was given about a 50 percent chance to live. I didn’t play football my senior year.

BRADLEY: I recruited Brian out of high school. We had offered him, but when he got sick everybody backed off. Joe said, “Call him up. His offer’s good with me.”

MILNE: Coach Paterno called me in the hospital, and basically said, “Get better. Whether you play football or not, you’ll have a scholarship at Penn State.” I hung up the phone and said, “Huh.” When someone offers you that gift, you don’t look away, especially when you’re in the hospital and people are wondering if you’re going to live.

VINCENT STEWART: On my visit, I sat with Coach Paterno, and the first and only thing he talked about was school. I talked to a lot of other coaches, they talked about playing time and all that, but none of them really talked about school. I knew something was different when Coach Paterno looked me in the eye and said, “Just give me all you can. I don’t care if you come here and don’t play, you’re going to graduate.” I had four other recruiting trips scheduled, and I cancelled all of them.

Culture.

MILNE: In March of my junior year, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease. They found a grapefruit-sized tumor on my heart. I had six months of chemotherapy and several serious surgeries: one that took out my tumor, one that took my spleen. I was given about a 50 percent chance to live. I didn’t play football my senior year.

BRADLEY: I recruited Brian out of high school. We had offered him, but when he got sick everybody backed off. Joe said, “Call him up. His offer’s good with me.”

MILNE: Coach Paterno called me in the hospital, and basically said, “Get better. Whether you play football or not, you’ll have a scholarship at Penn State.” I hung up the phone and said, “Huh.” When someone offers you that gift, you don’t look away, especially when you’re in the hospital and people are wondering if you’re going to live.

VINCENT STEWART: On my visit, I sat with Coach Paterno, and the first and only thing he talked about was school. I talked to a lot of other coaches, they talked about playing time and all that, but none of them really talked about school. I knew something was different when Coach Paterno looked me in the eye and said, “Just give me all you can. I don’t care if you come here and don’t play, you’re going to graduate.” I had four other recruiting trips scheduled, and I cancelled all of them.

Please take this opportunity to remember that Penn State has a culture problem.

Culture.

I wish I could like that twice.

ADVERTISEMENT