ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

I'm starting to feel optimistic about Harrison.

He seems grounded and low key, especially for a 16-year-old. You have to wonder if having 40+ year-old wierdo Bucknut local yokels randomly approaching him for pictures, etc. is a bit of a turnoff? Could go either way IMO.

A month or two back the "buzz" on tOSU and UofM forums hinted at a two team race with PSU being the odd man out. I found this to be a bit of wishful thinking, though, as Harrison spoke highly of PSU all along (at least what I saw). Clearly we remain in contention.

Sorry if previously discussed, but any insight into the Franks decommitment?

tenor.gif

Haven't heard anything about Noah Cain lately. Wonder if PSU is still in the picture. It seemed like Spring there was mutual interest since he visited at that time.

Haven't heard anything about Noah Cain lately. Wonder if PSU is still in the picture. It seemed like Spring there was mutual interest since he visited at that time.
This one will be a late decision after he makes a few official visits in the fall. We're in the final 4-5 but a long way from home...............

Reactions: TheGLOV
This one will be a late decision after he makes a few official visits in the fall. We're in the final 4-5 but a long way from home...............

I agree. And he's worth waiting for. In a couple years Slade will be the lightening and Cain the thunder.

Reactions: TheGLOV
And Deyvn Ford, what will he be doing?
He’ll be standing in the end zone holding a football, loving his choice of teams and thanking the other two for their part in what was apparently a loud and flashy exhibition.

May it happen!

We sometimes forget how quickly perceptions can change, particularly when the target audience is 16-17 year old kids and their families. 3 or 4 years ago, Michigan football was hot -- return to glory, decorated alum with NFL experience and success at Stanford returning, etc. Now---they're falling behind others in the B1G East, can't beat tOSU, struggle with in-state MSU, coach seems loopy.

Hot school? not currently

Which glory were they going to return to? Half a national championship in 60 years? 6-0 in 1911? Decades of bowl-game futility under bo?

Michigan fans responding to the Harrison article...

Adds Tracey [his mom] on Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh: "You can't really put your finger on the word that describes him, his approach to life and his approach to football and approach to players [JS: "Weird"?]. It's just different."

East German Judge
August 14th, 2018 at 2:19 PM ^
Even then, him and mom are not gushing over us. I might be too dower, but we may not even get the 2nd place trophy in this recruitment, but I would love to be wrong.

I Like Burgers
August 14th, 2018 at 2:48 PM ^
Based solely off of those quotes, sounds like Michigan is in a solid third out of three.

ak47
August 14th, 2018 at 10:57 AM ^
Those quotes make penn state look more likely than Michigan to me. Mom doesn't seem too enthused by Harbaugh, Michigan gets equated to penn state and he spends more time talking about how close knit penn state is and how close he is with other recruits. Obviously if he is still taking visits there is still plenty of time but if I had to guess right this second I'd say we are in third.

Craptain Crunch
August 14th, 2018 at 11:28 AM ^
His mom doesn't dig harbaugh. That is for sure..

Reactions: ftlpsu

Adds Tracey [his mom] on Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh: "You can't really put your finger on the word that describes him, his approach to life and his approach to football and approach to players [JS: "Weird"?]. It's just different."

East German Judge
Even then, him and mom are not gushing over us. I might be too dower, but we may not even get the 2nd place trophy in this recruitment, but I would love to be wrong.

I Like Burgers
Based solely off of those quotes, sounds like Michigan is in a solid third out of three.

ak47
Those quotes make penn state look more likely than Michigan to me. Mom doesn't seem too enthused by Harbaugh, Michigan gets equated to penn state and he spends more time talking about how close knit penn state is and how close he is with other recruits. Obviously if he is still taking visits there is still plenty of time but if I had to guess right this second I'd say we are in third.

Craptain Crunch
Man, I just never got the Michigan buzz at the Opening. Wiltfong straight up tweeted he spent most of his time with PSU commits the first day and then the rest of media proceeded to only ask about Michigan vs OSU. Seemed totally fabricated.
giphy.gif

Had the target then just decided to shoot something else...

Reactions: ELDADDY and TheGLOV
Will PSU take a look at this kid? Lee Kpogba, outside linebacker from Winston-Salem, 3-star possibly on the rise

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/p...cle_f5431a89-091b-518d-a428-c3d12295caa0.html

Committed to WV, but may be looking around.

Of particular interest:
his coach posts on this board @sammyk

coach's comments from the article:
“I’ve coached since 1995 ... I was at Mount Tabor when we had (Derek) Nicholson, who went to Florida State. I coached Ed Gainey who’s in the CFL right now. I coached the (DJ) Reader kid who went to Clemson and is in the NFL,” Samek said. “I’ll put him (Kpogba) on par with anybody ... And in fact, at his position, he might be the best at his position that I’ve ever met.

“When I was in Pennsylvania coaching, there was this guy named LaVar Arrington who played for the Washington Redskins, played at Penn State ... He’s LaVar Arrington, circa 2018.”

Lots of time left, but significant achievement to this point to have a better average star rating than Ohio State...

Penn State enters the middle of August with 15 Class of 2019 verbal commitments, which puts it right inside of the top-15, with a shot at the top-10, from a national perspective entering head coach James Franklin's fifth season in State College.

"We're recruiting really well. We've got a high hit rate, we got guys who work really hard at it, and that starts at the top with Coach Franklin," Terry Smith said.

"He emphasizes getting the right players to fit, not the best players, and that's what we work tremendously on to find the perfect fits for Penn State, guys that fit the culture here, guys that, once they're done playing ball, we're proud of them as young men as they continue their lives."

"He emphasizes getting the right players to fit, not the best players, and that's what we work tremendously on to find the perfect fits for Penn State, guys that fit the culture here, guys that, once they're done playing ball, we're proud of them as young men as they continue their lives."

Love it. If we can win a NC doing it this way, ....... sounds a lot like the "Grand Experiment".

People might not like hearing this but I've said from the beginning he's "JoePa 2.0"
Values and principles are the same but so different in many other ways its not even funny. Its like a new age Joe I guess who has more energy, adaptability to kids today and positivity.

Where is that Michigan Troll who came on this thread a few weeks ago bragging about Michigan's Second Place Finish in Zack Harrison's recruitment?

East German Judge

I Like Burgers

ak47

Craptain Crunch

Yep, the sane posters realized he was playing with half a deck to start with and then the injuries at LB early that year were way over the top. We had walkon frosh and true frosh out there getting banged up. There were a few of the Joe only types that were puffing out their chests, but they have since been humbled.

Anyone with half a brain could see the way he was recruiting, at minimum, ignoring all the other things he was doing so well, it was only a matter of time before it was going to come together.

Some PSU targets among the final remaining targets for OSU

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...-for-the-class-of-2019-120661544/#120661544_1

9. OL JAKAI MOORE
8397791.jpg

Ohio State definitely needs offensive linemen, especially at the tackle position, which is why there are three of those on this list. Coming in at number nine overall is Jakai Moore of Nokesville (VA) Patriot.

The 6-foot-6, 295-pounder likes the Buckeyes, and is also high on Penn State, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Miami, and Clemson. Right now, the 247Sports Crystal Ball is pointing in favor of the Nittany Lions, but the Gamecocks have the last three predictions.

The Buckeyes will need to get Moore up on campus for an official visit, and hit it out of the park there if they want to land the talented lineman. He was supposed to be in Columbus in late July, but that got cancelled due to weather. Right now, OSU is trailing and will need to play catch up.

5. TREVOR KEEGAN
8523683.jpg

With offensive tackle being a great need in this class, Trevor Keegan checks in at number five on this list.

At one point it looked like the Crystal Lake (IL) South product was favoring the Buckeyes, but then things shifted to a perception that he would land with rival Michigan. The truth here is, that with a kid who keeps very quiet on the recruiting process, that nobody really knows what he's thinking.

What we do know is that Ohio State is absolutely still in this one, as are the Wolverines, Penn State, and Wisconsin, with a few other national powers likely taking their best shot as well. The odds are that Keegan stays in Big Ten country, though, and it seems like official visits will happen, giving all of these schools mentioned a puncher's chance.

1. ZACH HARRISON
8488198.jpg

If offensive tackle isn't the greatest need for Ohio State, it's defensive end. And it just so happens the Buckeyes have the best at that position in the country located right in their backyard, in Olentangy Orange's Zach Harrison.

It's a three team battle between the Bucks, Michigan, and Penn State for Harrison's services. A decision was supposed to come by August 14, but that has been delayed. This is a kid that is truly torn, and taking his time to make the right decision for him, and a final one, that he won't waver from. He doesn't like the recruiting process, so this absolutely is not about stirring up drama or getting attention. This is a real battle between three Big Ten East powers, despite Ohio State being accessible via a bike ride.

Right now, the odds still point to OSU being the favorite to land Harrison, but the Wolverines and Nittany Lions are no joke here.

Included on the "just missed" list are David Bell, Siaki Ika, Noah Cain, Julian Barnett, Brenton Strange, Wandale Robinson, Jared Harrison-Hunte, D'Von Ellies, Jonathan Allen, and Milton Wright.

Reactions: bmw199 and Gnat91
Will CJF now look for another CB for the class, with Minor having to give up football???

Will PSU take a look at this kid? Lee Kpogba, outside linebacker from Winston-Salem, 3-star possibly on the rise

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/p...cle_f5431a89-091b-518d-a428-c3d12295caa0.html

Committed to WV, but may be looking around.

Of particular interest:
his coach posts on this board @sammyk

coach's comments from the article:
“I’ve coached since 1995 ... I was at Mount Tabor when we had (Derek) Nicholson, who went to Florida State. I coached Ed Gainey who’s in the CFL right now. I coached the (DJ) Reader kid who went to Clemson and is in the NFL,” Samek said. “I’ll put him (Kpogba) on par with anybody ... And in fact, at his position, he might be the best at his position that I’ve ever met.

“When I was in Pennsylvania coaching, there was this guy named LaVar Arrington who played for the Washington Redskins, played at Penn State ... He’s LaVar Arrington, circa 2018.”

No mention of an offer from PSU nor indication of interest on his part. Other than mention of Lavar in the article, I'm trying to figure out what angle you think there is or possibly may be. He wants to take visits to some schools named in the article, so I can see why you might hope we have him on radar. I couldn't find season highlights of him on Youtube but would like to see how he looks. Thanks for posting the article!

And Deyvn Ford, what will he be doing?

Not meant to diminish Devyn Ford's skillset. I am speaking more to the style of the runners. Similar to what Georgia has in Nick Chubb and Soney Michel. If Devyn Ford turns out to be our version of D'Andre Swift then more power to us. Okay? Okay.

ADVERTISEMENT