ADVERTISEMENT

2019 PSU WVB Thread

6th ranked PSU wins over Iowa State 3-0. 25-22, 25-16, 25-16. Penn State faces LSU tomorrow afternoon in Ames before coming home next weekend to meet the challenging Stanford and Oregon teams. on the 13th and 14th. These two opponents should sell out Rec Hall hopefully as revelers from the Pitt blowout will be looking for more intense athletic competition from the Ladies before they head home.

Last edited:
6th ranked PSU wins over Iowa State 3-0. 25-22, 25-16, 25-16. Penn State faces LSU tomorrow afternoon in Ames before coming home next weekend to meet the challenging Stanford and Oregon teams. on the 13th and 14th. These two opponents should sell out Rec Hall hopefully as revelers from the Pitt blowout will be looking for more intense athletic competition from the Ladies before they head home.

Probably the best OOC volleyball weekend at psu ever. A true test.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Probably the best OOC volleyball weekend at psu ever. A true test.

It will be a test but it is far from the best OOC VB weekend at Penn State. Just a few years ago we hosted Stanford, Texas and Florida on the same weekend.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
It will be a test but it is far from the best OOC VB weekend at Penn State. Just a few years ago we hosted Stanford, Texas and Florida on the same weekend.

Which four teams are better is debatable, but what's certain is that the four coming in this weekend aren't "far" from the four that weekend (2012). In fact, their current ranking is higher than the four teams were ranked in 2012.

2012 Rankings (at the time of the match): #2 Texas, #4 PSU, #9 Stanford, #18 Florida
2019 Rankings (as of this moment): #1 Stanford, #6 PSU, #8 Minnesota, #9 Oregon.

Going into the 2012 NCAA tournament the seedings were: #1 PSU, #2 Stanford, #3 Texas, #14 Florida. Texas and PSU made it to the Final Four. PSU lost in the semis (to Oregon) while Texas won it all.

How the four teams play out this year is a TBD, but they're likely to be competitive with those in 2012.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I watched the Pitt match. Entertaining. No air conditioning so it was 91 degrees in the building. Oregon lost one of the key players and had two others injured and not able to play.

I watched the Pitt match. Entertaining. No air conditioning so it was 91 degrees in the building. Oregon lost one of the key players and had two others injured and not able to play.
Yikes. It was 90 degrees with humidity in the city today and that building has been a sweat lodge for decades. I’m a little surprised given the circumstances that they didn’t move it to the Pete.

PSU 4th, woe,Pitt is 6th? Wow
Pitt went like 32-1 last year due to their schedule and then got destroyed in the tourney when they had to play a real team. I'm impressed they beat oregon, so they must be better than last year.

Pitt went like 32-1 last year due to their schedule and then got destroyed in the tourney when they had to play a real team. I'm impressed they beat oregon, so they must be better than last year.

They lost to #18 seed Michigan in 5 sets in the 2nd round of NCAAs. Not exactly what I would call destroyed. We are definitely the favorite against Pitt but I expect a couple of good matches. We will have a better idea of where a fairly young PSU team stands after tonight's match against #1 Stanford.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
They lost to #18 seed Michigan in 5 sets in the 2nd round of NCAAs. Not exactly what I would call destroyed. We are definitely the favorite against Pitt but I expect a couple of good matches. We will have a better idea of where a fairly young PSU team stands after tonight's match against #1 Stanford.

I just hope both teams have fun.

Yeah, their best player got hurt and didn’t play (or left early) in that match. They haven’t been a nationally-ranked type of program for very long, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they just didn’t or don’t have the depth to compensate for a big hitter not playing. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Penn State takes both matches, but beating Oregon is a better win than they had all of last year, so it seems like they’re at least a little better and/or deeper.

I thought they looked pretty good in scrimmage with PSU this past spring.

The weekend home-and-home seems unusual, especially for an OOC opponent. I don't follow volleyball closely so maybe it happens more than I know.

Blowout! Pitt wins set three 25-23 and takes the match 3-0. Wow. I owe a Pitt friend a very expensive steak dinner.:(
Congrats to Pitt. They are a legit top 5 team.

ADVERTISEMENT