ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Phillies thread

Hoskins is going to get paid at some point and that will not be cheap. I’m guessing they try to lock him up before he is eligible for arbitration

Reactions: EPC FAN
Jim Salisbury: "When offers came in last week, the Phillies were already over 300k". At one point the length was 15 years, but Boras didn't like that. Article coming soon.

Reactions: bmw199
Hoskins is going to get paid at some point and that will not be cheap. I’m guessing they try to lock him up before he is eligible for arbitration
He’s not even arbitration eligible until after the 2020 season. The best thing the Phillies will do for him based on what little leverage he has is buy out his arbitration years in return for him suspending his free agency a year or two. But that means he won’t be a free agent until he’s 31 or 32. It does suck for him that this year he gets $500K and next only $700K. I think they’d rather see if they get Trout though before entertaining Boras again.

There is no way they are going to jerk around the guy may still be their biggest bat. He will get a big dollar deal before the end of 2020.

I was pretty critical of position players in the Phillies minor leagues but Hasely looks like a player. Not sure where he fits in, however.

If you go back to that interview I posted from last week he starts to say “Bryce asked”, then he quickly changes it to I’ve been asked. Clearly they talked about it before it happened this winter. I give the Angels a small chance next offseason but overwhelming odds he signs with the Phillies now.

The erudite David Jones does not like the signing. Feels Harper is not worth the money, wont deal well with the press or fans, and wont produce the numbers. Shocking right??

I was pretty critical of position players in the Phillies minor leagues but Hasely looks like a player. Not sure where he fits in, however.
We’ll both center fielders are injured. However, I favor not bringing him up until next year to maximize his non arb service years. How’s this for a lineup post strike in 2022:
1. Hasely - cf
2. Segura - ss
3. Trout - lf
4. Harper - rf
5. Hoskins - 1b
6. Realmuto - c
7. Bohm - 3b
8. Kingery - 2b
9. Nola - p

The only two not under team control are Realmuto and, obviously, Trout.

I know, I know, worry about and enjoy 2019 - 2021.

The erudite David Jones does not like the signing. Feels Harper is not worth the money, wont deal well with the press or fans, and wont produce the numbers. Shocking right??

Really, who cares what David Jones has to say about this. He is a college football writer.

Reactions: psuno1
Why would you bother to read what that insufferable buffoon writes? He is correct less often than a Pitt fan.

Won’t produce the numbers? Harper’s numbers are almost exclusively comparable to future Hall of Fame players at the same point in their career. I guess one could complain it’s “too much money”, but a chance to grab a generational talent at age 26 was never going to be cheap. Honestly my initial impression of Harper was negative, but then I really delved into the numbers. This is Jones’ issue. He FEELS an awful lot of stuff. He doesn’t really have the intellectual honesty to actually study an issue with any amount of dispassion. Reminds me of a radio shock jock in print and I suspect there is some truth to that.

Won’t produce the numbers? Harper’s numbers are almost exclusively comparable to future Hall of Fame players at the same point in their career. I guess one could complain it’s “too much money”, but a chance to grab a generational talent at age 26 was never going to be cheap. Honestly my initial impression of Harper was negative, but then I really delved into the numbers. This is Jones’ issue. He FEELS an awful lot of stuff. He doesn’t really have the intellectual honesty to actually study an issue with any amount of dispassion. Reminds me of a radio shock jock in print and I suspect there is some truth to that.

Jones likes to be edgy and go against the grain, much like he does with PSU football.

Reactions: Lefty Hill
Harper vows to bring 'title back to D.C.'.....LOL. He's into this you can tell.

The Phillies’ introductory press conference for the newly-acquired Bryce Harper went about how you’d expect. It was ceremonial without being too regal, there were a handful of canned phrases about remaining with one team for a long time and building team culture, and Harper said that he wants to bring a championship to the wrong city. This was a clear slip up, but surely Nats fans everywhere are grinning from ear to ear at the comment and making jokes about how Harper’s new contract might have just done that for their town.

It just goes to show that you can take the man out of D.C. sports, but you can’t take the D.C. sports out of the man. (That’s how the saying goes, right?)

Cincinnati gave Votto a huge 10 year $225 million contract extension 7 years ago. That was huge money back then - still is actually. Small market teams can definitely still pay, they just have no leeway to make a mistake. Larger teams can eat the contract and still contend.

Which by the way, Votto is going into his age 35 season and led the league in OBP last year despite having a down year. That contract is surprisingly holding up quite well.
I'd always felt a bit sad for Votto. Great player, plays hard, and hardly a sniff at the playoffs. Kinda like Ernie Banks. Being in Columbus, the Reds are thew team I see most often, so I've gotten to see a bit of Votto through the years. But the Reds might have a halfway decent team this season.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
tenor.gif

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26129764/how-mike-trout-wind-bryce-harper-philly

I'd always felt a bit sad for Votto. Great player, plays hard, and hardly a sniff at the playoffs. Kinda like Ernie Banks. Being in Columbus, the Reds are thew team I see most often, so I've gotten to see a bit of Votto through the years. But the Reds might have a halfway decent team this season.

Watching a Joey Votto at bat is one of the simple joys of my life. I’m hoping he can bounce back with a team around him this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT