ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Cotton Bowl

Texas Lion

Aug 10, 2018
Just watching the Cotton Bowl on BTN from 2019. I personally think the kid was a clown but CJ Thorpe looked like that road grading OL we now wish we had.

Other notes from that game:

D. George getting a lot of run at WR.
Same with Trent Gordon and Marquis Wilson at CB.
Also had a nasty 3 man front for a few plays with Micah and Oweh at DE and YGM at NT.

Oh, and I saw Rasheed Walker Hustling all over the place.

How in two years can things from that game just disappear?

****I was at the game and these are things now watching it I really don't remember.

I spoke to a Father of a Penn State player about this same topic and he said there are a number of players who have a questionable “work ethic”. Lots of “I’” in team mentality. He was not willing to give names or details.

Last edited:
Just watching the Cotton Bowl on BTN from 2019. I personally think the kid was a clown but CJ Thorpe looked like that road grading OL we now wish we had.

Also had a nasty 3 man front for a few plays with Micah and Oweh at DE and YGM at NT.

****I was at the game and these are things now watching it I really don't remember.
thorpe was good but took to many cheap shots!!

I spoke to a Father of a Penn State player about this same topic and he said there are a number of players who have a questionable “work ethic”. Lots of “I’” in team mentality. He was not willing to give names or details.
I think this was a big issue on the 2020 team. Perhaps work ethic, perhaps distractions with other off field things. I have heard two names: both on defense; one graduated, one transferred.

I feel like the locker room and effort (in general) was much, much better this year. Obviously, last year was a weird year (covid) but even allowing for that, I think the team was in a much better place in terms of unity and effort this season.

I think this was a big issue on the 2020 team. Perhaps work ethic, perhaps distractions with other off field things. I have heard two names: both on defense; one graduated, one transferred.

I feel like the locker room and effort (in general) was much, much better this year. Obviously, last year was a weird year (covid) but even allowing for that, I think the team was in a much better place in terms of unity and effort this season.
Shelton and Wade?

Also, Noah Cain looked great. He had a burst of speed, hit the holes without hesitation and was a totally different player than what we saw this past season.

Let’s be honest here, it was far more than Covid last year. Last year there riots all summer and fall. BLM and others had protests across the country and many got out of control. Racial strife was rampant, an extremely divisive election, people all across the country at each other’s throats. Combine that with Covid, players opting out, uncertainty about even having a season.
It was the perfect storm combined with a clusterfck. All this had to infiltrate the locker room and cause problems. Anyone paying attention saw it. The key now is to learn from it, grow from it, and refocus.

Let’s be honest here, it was far more than Covid last year. Last year there riots all summer and fall. BLM and others had protests across the country and many got out of control. Racial strife was rampant, an extremely divisive election, people all across the country at each other’s throats. Combine that with Covid, players opting out, uncertainty about even having a season.
It was the perfect storm combined with a clusterfck. All this had to infiltrate the locker room and cause problems. Anyone paying attention saw it. The key now is to learn from it, grow from it, and refocus.
Dude, i love ya, but we're all fooked.

The new variant is super contagious and we're pretty much ALL going to get it.. a nothing burger but still you test positive so OMFG!!!!! Games will be cancelled (and please dear God, let me be wrong... happily so wrong), the nfl, nba, cfb, all in the shitster.

I so hope somebody somewhere wakes the f up and says... why do we care about a variant that hospitalizes nobody? PLAY BALL! Oooops... that isn't part of the narrative.

Reactions: blmr31
Did you all see Deion Sanders post game press conference after South Carolina State blew out his Jackson State team? Not only did he praise SC State but he said his own team was overconfident, thought they would win easily, did not execute, and were soft. He went on to say that he knows what needs to be fixed and he discussed his road map for how to fix things and how they will become champions.

Ignore Deion Sanders, some of the things said were refreshing to read, a true leader of a program. I am not comparing Deion Sanders to James Franklin, but do we think James Franklin knows what it takes to get the train back on the track and be a champion again? I am posting this in the 2019 Cotton Bowl thread because the wheels have fallen off since that Cotton Bowl win.

Last edited:
Did you all see Deion Sanders post game press conference after South Carolina State blew out his Jackson State team? Not only did he praise SC State but he said his own team was overconfident, thought they would win easily, did not execute, and were soft. He went on to say that he knows what needs to be fixed and he discussed his road map for how to fix things and how they will become champions.

Ignore Deion Sanders, some of the things said were refreshing to read, a true leader of a program. I am not comparing Deion Sanders to James Franklin, but do we think James Franklin knows what it takes to get the train back on the track and be a champion again? I am posting this in the 2019 Cotton Bowl thread because the wheels have fallen off since that Cotton Bowl win.
Sanders does know what will fix his team. A betting organization paying his recruits.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUNYGNYY

"do WE think James Franklin knows what it takes to get the train back on the track.....?" Of course not. That's why the very future of Penn State Football rests upon the broad shoulders of a few elite posters here to identify the problems and the issues and force the changes that will bring glory back to Happy Valley again! The coaching staff is full of indifferent, oblivious, charlatans who can't hold a candle to the veteran football analysts that labor here day and night.
There is good news however, since Franklin has signed a long term extension....it appears there will be work for our elite football minds for years to come.

ADVERTISEMENT