ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Alumni Trustee Election thread - candidates encouraged to post

Zenophile

Oct 21, 2001
Directly above the center of the Earth
The upcoming Alumni Trustee election will begin Wednesday, April 10th and conclude 9 AM Eastern on May 2. Ballots will be emailed from "psuelections@votenet.com" (which FYI has a tendency to be intercepted by Clutter and spam filters). Please click this link to request a ballot.

Ballot positions were released today and are as follows:
1. William F. Oldsey, ’76 Lib, Boalsburg, Pennsylvania
2. Barbara L. Doran, ’75 Lib, New York, New York
3. Edward “Ted” B. Brown III, ’68 Sci, State College, Pennsylvania
4. Jeffrey P. Ballou, ’90 Com, Washington, D.C.
For those interested, biographical information & position statements can be found at this link.

Candidates -- especially those seeking write-in candidacy -- are encouraged to post in this thread, as are friends, supporters, current/former trustees who may wish to provide endorsements or other pertinent information. Write-in candidates are further encouraged to share germane vital statistics such as:
-full name
-graduation year
-degree
-place of residence​

Reactions: stormingnorm
The upcoming Alumni Trustee election will begin Wednesday, April 10th and conclude 9 AM Eastern on May 2. Ballots will be emailed from "psuelections@votenet.com" (which FYI has a tendency to be intercepted by Clutter and spam filters). Please click this link to request a ballot.

For those interested, biographical information & position statements can be found at this link.

Candidates -- especially those seeking write-in candidacy -- are encouraged to post in this thread, as are friends, supporters, current/former trustees who may wish to provide endorsements or other pertinent information. Write-in candidates are further encouraged to share germane vital statistics such as:
-full name
-graduation year
-degree
-place of residence​

Since the A9 are powerless and there as window dressing maybe it's time to turn Barry loose. The entertainment value alone should be worth it, watching him call them out and question them out loud in meetings. Plus Barry is a huge fan of onion dip and will take some of Barron's share, which is a good thing he could stand to loose a few pounds... ;)

-full name
-graduation year
-degree
-place of residence​

Barry J Fenchak
'84 Chemical Engineering State College PA

https://barryfenchak4trustee.wordpress.com/2019/01/21/penn-state-board-of-trustees-elections-2019/

Since the A9 are powerless and there as window dressing maybe it's time to turn Barry loose. The entertainment value alone should be worth it, watching him call them out and question them out loud in meetings. Plus Barry is a huge fan of onion dip and will take some of Barron's share, which is a good thing he could stand to loose a few pounds... ;)

It might be worth getting BARRY. :eek: in there to take a giant shit in the punch bowl, so to speak.

Reactions: bwifan
I’ve never heard him say anything about how he intends to improve education. He believes that cutting spending is the cure all to everything and doesn’t realize the value of administrative support of the best students, professors, researchers, and even athletes, without which they would never come to Penn State in the first place. I can’t imagine he has ever been successful working with others professionally in a complex organization in a positive way. His narrow mindedness, childish personal insults of anyone who disagrees with him, and silly emogies aren’t going to help improve governance of the university.

I’ve never heard him say anything about how he intends to improve education. He believes that cutting spending is the cure all to everything and doesn’t realize the value of administrative support of the best students, professors, researchers, and even athletes, without which they would never come to Penn State in the first place. I can’t imagine he has ever been successful working with others professionally in a complex organization in a positive way. His narrow mindedness, childish personal insults of anyone who disagrees with him, and silly emogies aren’t going to help improve governance of the university.

Time for the Fat Man to break out the Vaseline. BOHICA!!!!!!!!!!!

You apparently don't understand the role of a Trustee for a non-profit and more specifically a non-profit university. It's the boards job to write the Strategic Plans and to supervise the Administration in putting Operational (Tactical) Plans in place in pursuit of the Strategic Plan. The board also has the fiduciary and legal responsibility to ensure the health and well being of the organization.

It's Barron's job to create and execute the Operational Plan developed to, as you vaguely put it, to improve education. It's the boards job to make sure Barron's doing it legally, ethically, fiscally responsibly. I'm pretty sure Barry would be the first, and only, alumni elected member of the board to have ever attempted such a feat.

You apparently don't understand the role of a Trustee for a non-profit and more specifically a non-profit university. It's the boards job to write the Strategic Plans and to supervise the Administration in putting Operational (Tactical) Plans in place in pursuit of the Strategic Plan. The board also has the fiduciary and legal responsibility to ensure the health and well being of the organization.

It's Barron's job to create and execute the Operational Plan developed to, as you vaguely put it, to improve education. It's the boards job to make sure Barron's doing it legally, ethically, fiscally responsibly. I'm pretty sure Barry would be the first, and only, alumni elected member of the board to have ever attempted such a feat.

Board writing a strategic plan? That would be an exceptional board.

What you don't know would fill a library. :)

Good Luck w Baghdad Bob Ballou, Babs Doran, Bill Oldsey, and Ted Brown :)

But you want to be critical of the one guy who - every year - spends more time and effort analyzing, dissecting, and evaluating issues of PSU Governance…. and putting together proposals and solutions for the issues..... than the 9 folks who sit in those elected seats, combined (and, for the record, it ain't even close).
Good luck with that.

If, on the other hand, you have an insatiable desire to vote for someone who understands PSU Governance duties - and you are willing and able to contribute your efforts - give me a call.
I'll be happy to find a way for you to aid the cause. I am confident we can find a way for you to have an impact.

As usual, it's dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge

A simple question, sir, why are you not on the ballot?

So ... a guy who lives in state college and can't find 250 people to back him ... is supposed to be a good thing?

Every year the only reason i vote is to make sure there's 1 less for that guy.

The last thing ther BoT needs is a maniac.

Pennlive just posted a LTE in support of Ballou to three different places on their website

Voting for Keegan Michael Key but he has to always be in Coach Hines character...

Reactions: step.eng69
given what we've seen for 8 years or so, why bother to care? i'm not investing time or energy again. it's like spitting into the wind.

As frustrating as it is, it is much better to have alumni elected trustees in the room who represent the values many care about. To abdicate is to give a seat at the table away permanently. Vote and encourage others to do the same.

Reactions: Bob78 and Zenophile
Amen.

Ballots are arriving this AM from psuelections@votenet.com.

And, as always, check your spam folder. I almost always get my ballots in my regular inbox, but today it was in spam.

Despite our collective extreme frustration, please consider taking a couple minutes to ensure that Ballou does not get one of the 3 seats. I'd hate to see us hand that win over to the OGBOT, and I bet most of you all would as well. He would certainly get the committee seats they have denied to the A9, and then trumpet his voice as being the most representative of the alumni base. They've embarrassed themselves and us for the last 7 years; let's not give them this one, too.

Reactions: Zenophile
As tempting as it is to write in Barry, one entertaining meeting later, they will remove him and install their puppet in his place. Am I wrong?

As tempting as it is to write in Barry, one entertaining meeting later, they will remove him and install their puppet in his place. Am I wrong?
Believe what you want, but one thing should be clear to everyone...Barry would be the ONLY Alumni Trustee that will try to do the right thing.

What would be the difference between the current alumni trustees and a puppet trustee? I'll go ahead and answer; there will be no difference as neither one will attempt to do a damn thing! Everyone here knows this to be true.

Why in the world would you continue to vote for people that clearly don't give a crap?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT