ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Team Race

PSU22

Jul 7, 2001
I threw this together pretty quickly but figured it'd spur some good discussion and get at least a few people foaming at the mouth from which they breathe.

U8NZF2O.png

Last edited:
I threw this together pretty quickly but figured it'd spur some good discussion and get at least a few people foaming at the mouth from which they breath.

U8NZF2O.png

I thought Spencer Lee would redshirt for sure. Especially since he is coming off a knee ligament tear.

Interesting comparisons with line-ups. I think Joseph at 4th is a bit low. I also think that Ok State is more of a threat than Iowa. Downey (of course) is a big question mark for Iowa! And, as noted, I highly doubt that Lee wrestles this year. Brands usually RS's guys anyway. With Lee's injury plus on off-year for Iowa and I don't see any way that Lee doesn't RS this year.

Lee will redshirt. Looks like a Down-ey, rebuilding for 2018 kind of year. Will be fun to watch OSU and PSU battle it out forsure.

Reactions: diggerpup
I threw this together pretty quickly but figured it'd spur some good discussion and get at least a few people foaming at the mouth from which they breathe.

U8NZF2O.png

Seems a bit premature to include McKenna in tOSU lineup for this until we know where he is going.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Chances PSU gets 14 points out of Keener and Cortez is somewhere around 3%

That said, I'd say the same about Pletcher/Hayes/Campbell getting 19

U8NZF2O.png

Here goes:

- If Keener AAs that would be a serious credit to the coaching staff

-165 is tough, Massa and IMar are certainly capable of beating Joseph but 4 is a bit pessimistic. On the flip side, I doubt there are very many tOSU fans optimistic enough to believe Campbell will AA.

-184 Zahid is capable of beating Nickal but you may need to turn in your Penn State fan card for putting that "2" beside Nickal's name

-Overall, your tOSU numbers are at wildest dream level. The only thing missing is BoJo beating Hall.

Good start for a discussion though. There's quite a gap between PSU/tOSU and the field this year. Michigan actually has a shot at 3rd place.

Chances PSU gets 14 points out of Keener and Cortez is somewhere around 3%

That said, I'd say the same about Pletcher/Hayes/Campbell getting 19

He's got that trio scoring 28.

I think it's a fair take on PSU. Brings our high side down a little and maybe our low side up a bit. But that is definitely an "everything goes right" look at tOSU. I agree with Turk that Lee RS and I think it's optimistic for Iowa that all three of 141,174, 184 will go that high.

I have a hard time believing TOSU will be able to have all their guys maintain that big of a cut for the whole season and still be effective. I was at a tournament 4 years ago and witnessed Pletcher miss 132 by a mile. I can't believe he hasn't grown a little since. Tomo going down to 125 is going to be hard on him to maintain. I have been trying to come up with an example of someone dropping a weight class and out performing their higher weight, I can't come up with any.

Reactions: Dogwelder
He's got that trio scoring 28.

I think it's a fair take on PSU. Brings our high side down a little and maybe our low side up a bit. But that is definitely an "everything goes right" look at tOSU. I agree with Turk that Lee RS and I think it's optimistic for Iowa that all three of 141,174, 184 will go that high.
haha.. I added placements up like an idiot. Thought it seemed off. Definitely not 28.

Reactions: dicemen99
Really it will be how the brackets work out. Myself I think Michigan can have a lot to say who wins this year..Any team could lose one of their guys to Michigan (example...Coon say faces Nevis early )..I still can see no reason that Penn State will not win, unless some injuries occur..

I have a hard time believing TOSU will be able to have all their guys maintain that big of a cut for the whole season and still be effective. I was at a tournament 4 years ago and witnessed Pletcher miss 132 by a mile. I can't believe he hasn't grown a little since. Tomo going down to 125 is going to be hard on him to maintain. I have been trying to come up with an example of someone dropping a weight class and out performing their higher weight, I can't come up with any.
Chandler Rogers? Chris Perry?

I could see halving Keener and Cortez total and leaving us at 141, but then more than doubling the subtraction for tOSU (3-4 points from both Pletcher and Hayes, 5 from McKenna, and another 3-4 from
Campbell). That would make for a really tight race between 2 superpowers.

I think Mark is going to ring up serious points next year - especially if Zahid moves up. If he wins, I see 25+ for him.

It's crazy to think that for OSU to have any chance next year it will be due to transfers. It will make for an exciting tournament that otherwise probably wouldn't have been close. We all had our doubts this past year entering NCAA's without Suriano, but look how it turned out. One thing we do know is that Cael will have these kids ready. Just hope all of the teams stay healthy.

U8NZF2O.png
You forgot New Jersey State?!

Reactions: PSU22
I know there will be some of you who will be very agitated with this Idea, I remember last season when I agreed with a few others who were saying they should pull Hall redshirt and there were more than a few agitated responses acting like just the thought was irresponsible. I felt bad for Rasheed/Morrelli but if you were looking at tOSU lineup you need to maximize your chance at points. Turns out with Suriano Injury it was a necessary move that may have won PSU the National Title.

Here is another thought many won't like, If Nick Lee is the Special kind of wrestler I think he is and shows it on the mat during the season.....I start him at 141 if he beats Cortez in a wrestle off. I have not seen Nick Lee wrestle in a long time but if he is progressing as I would expect he could easily AA as a true freshman.

Suriano leaving is the only reason I would consider this. If tOSU gets Mckenna and Tom goes at 125.. we will need every chance at every point we can get

Last edited:
Not saying anything anybody doesn't already know but losing Suriano and OSU gaining McKenna sucks badly. I know we will win the nationals and go undefeated next year but Jesus we have not caught any breaks this summer. I can't wait for the season to begin. Once we see our boys kicking ass things will feel very different.

I know there will be some of you who will be very agitated with this Idea, I remember last season when I agreed with a few others who were saying they should pull Hall redshirt and there were more than a few agitated responses acting like just the thought was irresponsible. I felt bad for Rasheed/Morrelli but if you were looking at tOSU lineup you need to maximize your chance at points. Turns out with Suriano Injury it was a necessary move that may have won PSU the National Title.

Here is another thought many won't like, If Nick Lee is the Special kind of wrestler I think he is and shows it on the mat during the season.....I start him at 141 if he beats Cortez in a wrestle off. I have not seen Nick Lee wrestle in a long time but if he is progressing as I would expect he could AA as a true freshman.

Suriano leaving is the only reason I would consider this. If tOSU gets Mckenna and Tom goes at 125.. we will need every chance at every point we can get

I'm not so sure that this isn't already the plan...many assumed that Lee was going this coming season until Cortez was rumored to bump up. Lee moving to PA last season and training with the NLWC may have been so he could jump in and not RS at all.

My guess, and it's certainly just a guess, is that the winner of the wrestle off goes no matter what. If Cortez wins, the RS is a good fall back plan for Lee. If Lee wins, not sure what Cortez does...

I'm not so sure that this isn't already the plan...many assumed that Lee was going this coming season until Cortez was rumored to bump up. Lee moving to PA last season and training with the NLWC may have been so he could jump in and not RS at all.

My guess, and it's certainly just a guess, is that the winner of the wrestle off goes no matter what. If Cortez wins, the RS is a good fall back plan for Lee. If Lee wins, not sure what Cortez does...
Bringing Keener in for 133 said to me that they were planning on Cortez at 141. I bet Cael thought with Suriano they would have it locked barring injury and could redshirt Lee. That was my guess unless Cortez actually did outgrow 133 completely. I am not sure I buy that 133 is not a reasonable cut for him, but looks can be deceiving.

If Tomassello can get back down to 125 as jacked as he is, short or not....and Micah could make 141 last season(edit 149 last season,141 2 seasons ago), how the heck he did that still amazes me. tOSU does love to suck weight I guess...lol I love that Cael does not do that with our guys...this may be the exception, Cortez at 133 and Lee at 141 is our best lineup...I would feel horrible for Keener though

Last edited:
Bringing Keener in for 133 said to me that they were planning on Cortez at 141. I bet Cael thought with Suriano they would have it locked barring injury and could redshirt Lee. That was my guess unless Cortez actually did outgrow 133 completely. I am not sure I buy that 133 is not a reasonable cut for him, but looks can be deceiving.

If Tomassello can get back down to 125 as jacked as he is, short or not....and Micah could make 141 last season, how the heck he did that still amazes me. tOSU does love to suck weight I guess...lol

Yeah all I was getting at is that I don't think your post will get the same scrutiny as the Hall RS debate did...

Reactions: manmythlegend1

Here is another thought many won't like, If Nick Lee is the Special kind of wrestler I think he is and shows it on the mat during the season.....I start him at 141 if he beats Cortez in a wrestle off. I have not seen Nick Lee wrestle in a long time but if he is progressing as I would expect he could easily AA as a true freshman.

I think the Hall redshirt debate was more about 21 Guns being beligerent and infecting every thread with his babble and others getting agitated at him. Most simply trusted that Cael had a plan.

I think the Hall redshirt debate was more about 21 Guns being beligerent and infecting every thread with his babble and others getting agitated at him. Most simply trusted that Cael had a plan.

Bingo. Most were NOT arguing against pulling Hall's RS, they were saying let the coaches make the decision if and when they think it needs to be made.

If Tomassello can get back down to 125 as jacked as he is, short or not....and Micah could make 141 last season, how the heck he did that still amazes me. tOSU does love to suck weight I guess...lol I love that Cael does not do that with our guys...this may be the exception, Cortez at 133 and Lee at 141 is our best lineup...I would feel horrible for Keener though

Micah Jordan wrestled 149 last year and finished 4th. He wrestled 141 the season before and after a long season of sucking weight did not AA. Also, everyone seems to think NaTo to 125 is a done deal and he will win or at least be a finalist, and IMHO that will not happen. He either won't be able to make the weight or will be a lesser wrestler if he does.

doesnt NaTo have to go 125 if they want a chance at the NC? They dont have an AA option if he doesnt.

Ryan shows a propensity to go all in when he sees a window. This is his window with Nick gone.

If they get McKenna it will be a race for the ages.

Reactions: Dogwelder and PSU22
doesnt NaTo have to go 125 if they want a chance at the NC? They dont have an AA option if he doesnt.

Ryan shows a propensity to go all in when he sees a window. This is his window with Nick gone.

If they get McKenna it will be a race for the ages.
For any shot NATO would have to go 125 just for the mere fact of Pletcher dropping to 133 and not redshirting. My question, if this all happens for them, looking at nationals who gets us more points at 141 this year Cortez or Lee. Lee can go the next 2 years then red shirt when GT or RBY are in and then bump up to 149 and battle it out with Verk.

For any shot NATO would have to go 125 just for the mere fact of Pletcher dropping to 133 and not redshirting. My question, if this all happens for them, looking at nationals who gets us more points at 141 this year Cortez or Lee. Lee can go the next 2 years then red shirt when GT or RBY are in and then bump up to 149 and battle it out with Verk.

Having Lee in State College this past year will really help them make the right call. The evaluation of Nick's progress and success in the room relative to Jared won't be a rushed decision.

Micah Jordan wrestled 149 last year and finished 4th. He wrestled 141 the season before and after a long season of sucking weight did not AA. Also, everyone seems to think NaTo to 125 is a done deal and he will win or at least be a finalist, and IMHO that will not happen. He either won't be able to make the weight or will be a lesser wrestler if he does.
oops, My bad..you are right, I still think 149 is a big suck for him

NATO literally said making 125 two years ago made him hate wrestling. So now two years later, he's going to be the NATO we know as long as Ryan does a Ryan and selectively wrestles him throughout the season to cut down on weigh ins? I'm with you, but there's still some old schoolers who think cutting a ton of weight is no big deal. It's like people thinking they do better on tests when they cram or multitask better than focusing on 1 task. No, that's not how the brain works - it's just your convenient excuse.

Give me the guy eating well throughout the season at his comfortable or easily makeable weight over the same guy cutting a ton. Arguing differently is an old wrestler's tale.

NATO literally said making 125 two years ago made him hate wrestling. So now two years later, he's going to be the NATO we know as long as Ryan does a Ryan and selectively wrestles him throughout the season to cut down on weigh ins? I'm with you, but there's still some old schoolers who think cutting a ton of weight is no big deal. It's like people thinking they do better on tests when they cram or multitask better than focusing on 1 task. No, that's not how the brain works - it's just your convenient excuse.

Give me the guy eating well throughout the season at his comfortable or easily makeable weight over the same guy cutting a ton. Arguing differently is an old wrestler's tale.

If he goes 125, I'm in the camp that believes he particpates in duals selectively. But if anyone can make that brutal a cut and still perform, NaTo would be the guy. I'm always impressed by his toughness.

As noted previously, the field would not appear to be as tough at 125 as it has been the past few years, especially if Suriano isn't going this year. I think NaTo has a better shot to win 125 than I did a month ago.

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT