ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Southern Scuffle is loaded ...

Nine top 25 teams, but 4 of them are only sending partial teams, which probably means not many starters......

Reactions: andegre
I think PSU is fully in, but likely the other 4 teams mostly/only back-ups and RS's. I love the Scuffle and I hope I'm wrong and that some starters from those 4 schools go too! Pretty sure none of Ok State's starters are going.

I think PSU is fully in, but likely the other 4 teams mostly/only back-ups and RS's. I love the Scuffle and I hope I'm wrong and that some starters from those 4 schools go too! Pretty sure none of Ok State's starters are going.

Yeah, the Scuffle field is not going to be close to what is was in recent years, mainly due to the new Florida Duals. Shame, but nothing we can do about it.

Similar to Penn State last year, the four teams listed with partial rosters all wrestling away matches on Friday, Jan. 5th. Reasonable to expect their starters to not be at the Scuffle which is Mon/Tues (Jan 1st and 2nd).

OkSt and NCSt wrestle each other in Italy on Friday, Jan 5th, Ohio State wrestles at Maryland on Friday, Jan 5th and at Rutgers on Sunday and Michigan wrestles at Indiana on Friday, Jan 5th and at Purdue on Sunday.

Of course....I wouldn't mind South Beach on the 28th and 29th of December. I'm betting that tourney will attract more teams. Cornell, Missouri, Minnesota, others with good individual wrestlers.....

I think while this means the scuffle will be down this year, these placeholders (RS/backups) bode well for the event coming back into form next year.

the conference scheduling and timing of the historical days of action make this cumbersome.

I hope The Scuffle comes back to full strength. As a spectator I much prefer watching a bracketed tournament that builds to great matches between top wrestlers. A second positive aspect of The Scuffle is the inclusion of top red shirts (Nolf, Nickal, Nevills three years ago). The dual format just doesn't provide as many quality individual matches.

Just glancing at the list, two potential finals matches that stand out to me are Joseph-Marsteller and Nevills-Kasper.

Others can add to/remove wrestlers from this list...as it was done quickly. No redshirts included, so wrestlers such as Nick Lee, who surely will go, even if the RS hasn't been pulled yet, aren't listed. In fact, I noticed Cortez isn't there either, as we have no one currently ranked at 141...so include him too. Formatting stinks, it goes across each line as follows: Weight, Rank, Name, School, Class.

125 1 Darian Cruz Lehigh SR
125 22 Sean Nickell CSU Bakersfield SO
133 4 Scott Parker Lehigh JR
133 5 Jack Mueller Virginia SO
133 13 Connor Schram Stanford SR
133 16 Corey Keener Penn State SR
133 18 Chris Debien Chattanooga JR
133 21 Rico Montoya Northern Colorado JR
133 22 DJ Fehlman Lock Haven SO
141 10 Jared Prince Navy SO
141 12 Josh Alber Northern Iowa JR
141 23 Russell Rohlfing CSU Bakersfield SO
141 25 Luke Karam Lehigh FR
149 1 Zain Retherford Penn State SR
149 3 Max Thomsen Northern Iowa SO
149 11 Matt Zovistoski Appalachian State JR
149 13 Coleman Hammond CSU Bakersfield SR
149 15 Ronnie Perry Lock Haven SR
149 19 Samuel Krivus Virginia SO
149 20 Kyle Shoop Lock Haven SO
149 24 Chris Vassar Gardner-Webb SR
157 1 Jason Nolf Penn State JR
157 6 Paul Fox Stanford JR
157 22 Andrew Atkinson Virginia SR
165 1 Vincenzo Joseph Penn State SO
165 8 Bryce Steiert Northern Iowa JR
165 14 Jordan Kutler Lehigh SO
165 16 Chance Marsteller Lock Haven JR
165 18 Keilan Torres Northern Colorado SR
165 21 Lorenzo DeLaRiva CSU Bakersfield SO
165 22 Keaton Subjeck Stanford SR
174 1 Mark Hall Penn State SO
174 7 Ryan Preisch Lehigh JR
174 8 Jadaen Bernstein Navy SR
174 10 Taylor Lujan Northern Iowa SO
174 15 Bryce Carr Chattanooga SR
174 25 Kimball Bastian Utah Valley SO
184 1 Bo Nickal Penn State JR
184 4 Drew Foster Northern Iowa JR
184 10 Michael Coleman Navy SR
184 14 Nick Corba Cleveland State SR
184 15 Dylan Gabel Northern Colorado JR
184 18 Alex DeCiantis Drexel SR
197 6 Matt McCutcheon Penn State SR
197 11 Matt Williams CSU Bakersfield SR
197 12 Steban Cervantes Navy SR
197 20 Jacob Holschlag Northern Iowa SO
197 21 Tanner Orndorff Utah Valley SO
197 25 Nathan Traxler Stanford FR
285 4 Nick Nevills Penn State JR
285 6 Jacob Kasper Duke SR
285 10 Thomas Haines Lock Haven JR
285 12 Mike Hughes Hofstra SR
285 13 Nathan Butler Stanford SR
285 16 Dustin Dennison Utah Valley SR
285 19 Joe Goodhart Drexel SR

Reactions: tikk10
Drexel - Austin DeSanto at 133 and Garett Hammond at (I think) 165.

Yeah, the Scuffle field is not going to be close to what is was in recent years, mainly due to the new Florida Duals. Shame, but nothing we can do about it.
Are you going to the Scuffle this year?

Follow-up...

-- 15 possible scorers can be entered.
-- RS's can't be scorers
-- RS's must pay their own way
-- A team can bring as many as they want (don't confuse this with the 1st bullet)
-- The only limit (in the past) is the overall wrestler count

165 looks interesting--Marstellar as noted. Also Cenzo could get Subjeck again; and Kutler is very talented and would make an interesting match as well. At 174 Hall could get Preisch again. Last year Preisch had Hall down late, when Hall hit the cement mixer and pinned him. Preisch is a tough out!

Reactions: dunkej01
According to the teams' schedules, and current starters according to WrestleStat, here are the team participants, as well as the starters for each team, at each weight:

Teams: https://www.wrestlestat.com/event/9614/participants/teams

Wrestlers: https://www.wrestlestat.com/event/9614/participants/wrestlers
Love your work, though those links are misleading. For example...Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Michigan, and NC State are not sending starters, based on their schedules, and by all published accounts. That's the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th "ranked" teams, and represents a ton of top guys. Not sure what to suggest, as using non-starters would just be a guess.

Love your work, though those links are misleading. For example...Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Michigan, and NC State are not sending starters, based on their schedules, and by all published accounts. That's the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th "ranked" teams, and represents a ton of top guys. Not sure what to suggest, as using non-starters would just be a guess.
Since NC State and Oklahoma State wrestle in Italy on the 5th, no way their starters are at the Scuffle and miss that opportunity. It is possible that some of Michigan and Ohio State's starters could be at the Scuffle, they have Indiana and Maryland on the 5th...they will not need the full line-up to win the dual.

Ha! I try to consume as much wrestling info as I can which means media, podcasts, and message boards are a must. I'd seen the Brock question elsewhere, but you guys reminded me I needed to ask. Good work!
Thanks Okie...you're one determined dude, sifting through all the tween-seasons muck here.

Reactions: OkieSpladle
ADVERTISEMENT