ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Nazareth (Pa.) Class of 2018 wide receiver Jahan Dotson will transfer to Peddie School in Hightstown, N.J., for his senior season, which happened to be the location for the Nittany Lions' satellite camp stop in New Jersey on Wednesday evening. The four-star rising junior was at the top of the list of performers at the camp, drawing a ton of attention from the Nittany Lions stuff and a bunch of praise from other coaches who were there working the camp.

Reactions: TheGLOV
"It's really a big deal for me," Alfano said. "I love Penn Stat a lot. I've been watching them on t.v. since I was five."

HIGHTSTOWN, N.J. -- Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic 2019 defensive end Antonio Alfano performed well at Penn State's satellite camp, and he was offered after it.

The was little doubt Antonio Alfano would nab a Penn State at some point, so the motivation for the class of 2019 defensive lineman was different.

He wanted to work with Nittany Lions defensive line coach Sean Spencer, who he holds in high regard, so the experience at Penn State's satellite camp at The Peddie School was the perfect opportunity.

"It was great work," Alfano said. "It was great working with coach Spence. I love coach Spence. He pulled me out (of reps) a couple of times and told me what to do, and when he did that, I went back and did it. I didn't lose one rep because of him."

The 6-foot-4 1/2, 260-pound Alfano plays defensive end, but he will likely grow into a defensive tackle.

Virginia Tech, Rutgers, Boston College and Duke already extended offers to Alfano, and the Penn State offer resonated well with Alfano.

Lions Already In Mix For Standout 2019 DT
Antonio Alfano starred in a New Jersey camp earlier this week. Penn State is among a trio of B1G schools that have really caught his eye.

byBrian Dohn
Scout Football
Friday at 4:16 PM

"It's a really big deal for me." Alfano said. "I've been watching on t.v. since I was like 5-years-old," Alfano said. "I remember my grandfather sitting on the coach eating popcorn watching the Pinstripe Bowl, and my grandpa is going, 'Let's go.' "

Alfano also picked up an offer from the Hokies when he went to watch a satellite camp earlier this month. He spoke to the Hokies staff while there, and then he was offered.

But with three seasons of high school remaining and nearly 32 months until he can sign a letter of intent, Alfano said he is taking it all in and trying not to get overwhelmed.

"It's great just to have opportunities like this," he said. "To be so young ...I really don't know much about it but my parents are extremely happy. I'm saving them a lot of money going to college and getting a free education."

Reactions: TheGLOV

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- Montvale (N.J.) St. Joseph Regional class of 2018 defensive end Dorian Hardy breaks down the early days of his recruitment.

Dorian Hardy, one of the top defensive ends in the East in the 2018 class, already made a handful of visits, but he wants to see a lot more schools.

The 6-foot-4 1/2, 246-pounder from Montvale (N.J.) St. Joseph already visited Michigan, Penn State, North Carolina, Michigan State, Virginia Tech, NC State and Rutgers, and he has other trips he would like to make, including one to Alabama. His extensive offer list also includes Florida, LSU, Ohio State, Miami, Nebraska and Wisconsin.

Another school Hardy is highly interested in is Penn State, where he hit it off with the coaching staff.

"I love Penn State," Hardy said. "The feeling I got from the coaches, it was great. Coach (James) Franklin, (defensive line) coach (Sean) Spencer, they are great people. They made me feel at home."

How did the Nittany Lions distinguish themselves in that manner?

"They weren't so business-like," Hardy said. "It wasn't like, 'Oh, we want you.' It was kicked back and stuff like that. They made me feel at home. It wasn't all serious. They had fun. I had fun."

2018 4-star Safety, Isheem Young will be visiting Penn State today prior to heading to IMG Academy where he transferred to for upcoming season.

I can't find the tweet now, but Kwantel Raines tweeted he has the opportunity to attend IMG Academy next year. That may make the competition for him a bit tougher.

I can't find the tweet now, but Kwantel Raines tweeted he has the opportunity to attend IMG Academy next year. That may make the competition for him a bit tougher.
If I had the opportunity to get out of Aliquippa I'd take it too. Although the competition for him may be tougher, you could also make the argument that we haven't had much luck recruiting the Quips and him not being in town with the yinzers in his ear badmouthing PSU 24/7 might be a plus for us.

Being in Aliquippa is bad for us, but there's no evidence that IMG is any better.

I don't think we can sweat not getting the Beaver County kids. They just don't see State College as their type of place. Just get the rest of the best players in the state.

The Nittany Lions will also get a Saturday visit from Aliquippa (Pa.) Class of 2018 safety Kwantel Raines on Saturday. The 6-foot-3, 190-pound prospect is one of the Nittany Lions’ top overall targets in the next cycle.

Raines is the No. 130 overall prospect in the Class of 2018, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. He’s the No. 10 safety nationally and the No. 4 prospect in the Keystone State in the next cycle.

Reactions: garw
That's good news about Parsons. Let's hope he sheds the idea that his commitment is "buttery soft".

Shorter

The four-star prospect is the No. 69 overall prospect in the Class of 2018 according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. He is the No. 8 wide receiver and the No. 3 prospect in New Jersey in the next cycle.

I know Penn State great, Bobby Engram has a son, Dean. Guessing this is Bobby's son? Dean goes to Gonzaga H.S. in Washington D.C. and I know Bobby is currently the Baltimore Ravens WR coach, so pretty sure that this is Bobby's son. Could be wrong though...

Great to see. Bobby Engram is one of my favorite all-time players. Would be wonderful to see his legacy continue at Penn State.

http://www.roarlionsroar.com/colleg...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

FOR THE FUTURE (08.09.16): LOOKING AT 2018 RANKINGS

But for one second, let's put 2017 on hold and spend today looking even further into the future with the 2018 class. This class has the potential, should Penn State pull in most of the targets on its board, to be one of the five-best classes in the nation. Here's who Penn State has right now:

• Micah Parsons, DE, Harrisburg, Pa.
    • 247Sports Composite: 5-star, No. 5 overall
    • 247Sports: 5-star, No. 5 overall
    • ESPN: 4-star, No. 8 overall
    • Rivals: 4-star, No. 15 overall
    • Scout: 5-star, No. 2 overall
  • Justin Shorter, WR, Monmouth Junction, NJ
    • 247Sports Composite: 4-star, No. 72 overall
    • 247Sports: 4-star, No. 121 overall
    • ESPN: 4-star, No. 52 overall
    • Rivals: 4-star, No. 95 overall
    • Scout: 4-star, No. 85 overall
  • Chris Bleich, OT, Plymouth, PA
    • 247Sports Composite: 4-star, No. 263 overall
    • 247Sports: 4-star, No. 283 overall
    • ESPN: 4-star, No. 162 overall
    • Rivals/Scout: NR
That's shaping up to be a pretty good class! Even if Penn State exclusively gets a bunch of guys who have low 4-star ceilings, those are three dudes who can be cornerstones for a really good class.

But as I mentioned earlier, the class of 2018 has the potential to be loaaaaaaaded.

http://www.roarlionsroar.com/colleg...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

FOR THE FUTURE (08.09.16): LOOKING AT 2018 RANKINGS

But for one second, let's put 2017 on hold and spend today looking even further into the future with the 2018 class. This class has the potential, should Penn State pull in most of the targets on its board, to be one of the five-best classes in the nation. Here's who Penn State has right now:

• Micah Parsons, DE, Harrisburg, Pa.
      • 247Sports Composite: 5-star, No. 5 overall
      • 247Sports: 5-star, No. 5 overall
      • ESPN: 4-star, No. 8 overall
      • Rivals: 4-star, No. 15 overall
      • Scout: 5-star, No. 2 overall
    • Justin Shorter, WR, Monmouth Junction, NJ
      • 247Sports Composite: 4-star, No. 72 overall
      • 247Sports: 4-star, No. 121 overall
      • ESPN: 4-star, No. 52 overall
      • Rivals: 4-star, No. 95 overall
      • Scout: 4-star, No. 85 overall
    • Chris Bleich, OT, Plymouth, PA
      • 247Sports Composite: 4-star, No. 263 overall
      • 247Sports: 4-star, No. 283 overall
      • ESPN: 4-star, No. 162 overall
      • Rivals/Scout: NR
That's shaping up to be a pretty good class! Even if Penn State exclusively gets a bunch of guys who have low 4-star ceilings, those are three dudes who can be cornerstones for a really good class.

But as I mentioned earlier, the class of 2018 has the potential to be loaaaaaaaded.
"Basically, the tl;dr of this post is that Franklin could pull in some really insane talent in two years. If the Nittany Lions can win some games in 2016 and 2017, all of us here at RLR have a gut feeling that Penn State's 2018 class will be one that we talk about for years."

AGREED!

Parsons said Wednesday night that he hopes to visit Alabama, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Tennessee, West Virginia, Penn State, Georgia and Michigan this year.

"I'm just taking my time, exploring stuff through the process," Parsons said. "I'm listening to my father. He believes I should take this time to see everywhere because I don't want to look back in life and have a regret. I think it is always good, coming up through the recruiting process, to take all of your visits.

"You never know what a school might have to offer," he added. "Penn State is still my number-one school, but I definitely look at other schools. I'm just listening to my father because he has never told me something that was wrong."

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...mit_micah_parson_1.html#incart_social_feature

http://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-s...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

FIVE-STAR TIGHT END MAKES RETURN VISIT
Five-star 2018 tight end prospect Zack Kuntz made it back to Penn State on Saturday for another unofficial visit. Kuntz was last on campus in April so it was important for the Nittany Lions to get him back on campus before the season started. The tight end hails from Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, which is only a short drive from State College, and as the season progresses Penn State will have to work hard to draw him in for more visits. Kuntz is one of the most highly recruited players in the 2018 class, and as a junior he already has offers from Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and many others. Landing a commitment from Kuntz would add to an already stellar class of 2018 and help dominate the state of Pennsylvania going forward. You can read more in the original247Sports article ($).

ANOTHER TIGHT END SET TO VISIT
Four-star tight end Pat Freiermuth tweeted out Sunday that he would be on campus visiting the Nittany Lions. The Massachusetts product camped at Penn State over the summer and earned himself an offer in the process. This will be his first unofficial visit with the team since that camp. Freiermuth is a composite four-star tight end and is the 7th best tight end in the 2018 class according to 247Sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT