ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

I just watched Daniel George's hudl video he's unbelievable. I was away from the board for a while so I might have missed any chatter but dam the kid is like a afterthought in this class. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Physically, he seems as ready as a Senior WR could be. Big, Fast, Tough.

IMO, pretty hard to come straight out of HS and make a big impact at WR, unless you have legit sub 4.3 speed and you are used as either an exclusive deep threat or a "gimmick" play guy. How fast he picks up the playbook, how clean he times and runs his routes, and whether he can be an asset as a run blocker usually factors into playing time way more than people realize.

Ross Tucker LOVES Walker. Says he's the best OL Penn State has recruited in the past 5 years. Dominating athletically and MEAN. Says if they put Thorpe and Walker on the same side of the line they will kill someone. Says Asiedu, Shorter, Parsons, and Walker are all possible future first round picks.

I just watched Daniel George's hudl video he's unbelievable. I was away from the board for a while so I might have missed any chatter but dam the kid is like a afterthought in this class. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
He's my "sleeper" pick for this class. If I could even categorize the kid as that. He's a beast.

Reactions: Nittany Security
DVm_2AjUMAEQ9jj.jpg

Ross Tucker LOVES Walker. Says he's the best OL Penn State has recruited in the past 5 years. Dominating athletically and MEAN. Says if they put Thorpe and Walker on the same side of the line they will kill someone. Says Asiedu, Shorter, Parsons, and Walker are all possible future first round picks.
Damn, that's something I'm really looking forward to.

I love the KSN podcast..pickle is my favorite

CJF knows what he's going after.......

“I also make the comment that the guys that we're recruiting should be the best player on either side of the ball. And you watch [Walker] in high school, very similar to a Michal Menet, you watch his high school tape and you say to yourself, ‘Hey, this guy could possibly play defensive line for us,’” Franklin said. “So he's got the length, he's got the athleticism, he's a great kid from a great family, is a gentleman off the field but plays the nasty streak on the field. Has a finisher's mentality.”

Always an uphill road for any true freshman to make an impact, but of any position on the field, WR is almost certainly the easiest to have an immediate impact as a freshman.

I would somewhat disagree with that. Most WR's are not too adept at blocking, a must to play college WR, and also can be slow to learn the adjustments and check offs necessary against college defenses. RB's also need to block, but running the ball is much more instinctive than playing WR. So my vote goes to RB ast the easiest to have an immediate impact as a true freshman.....

As CJF said, the positions (EDIT) farther from the ball at the snap are those that it is easiest for a young player to see the field....

Last edited:
I would somewhat disagree with that. Most WR's are not too adept at blocking, a must to play college WR, and also can be slow to learn the adjustments and check offs necessary against college defenses. RB's also need to block, but running the ball is much more instinctive than playing WR. So my vote goes to RB ast the easiest to have an immediate impact as a true freshman.....

As CJF said, the positions closer to the ball are those that it is easiest for a young player to see the field....
Listening to Nick Saban the other day and he said that Alabama had 6 freshman on offense at the end of the NC game. I don't know if that is true....but that's his quote.

Physically, he seems as ready as a Senior WR could be. Big, Fast, Tough.

He does look physically ready. You figure between Dotson, George and Shorter, someone's going to play as a freshman. But it's not 2014, it's 2018 and there are some awfully good players in front of them now.

He does look physically ready. You figure between Dotson, George and Shorter, someone's going to play as a freshman. But it's not 2014, it's 2018 and there are some awfully good players in front of them now.
yeah, I think the receivers, though somewhat lacking in experience, have the most talent of any position grouping....should be very good for years to come

Not only does Ross Tucker say Walker is the best OL PSU has recruited in the last 5 years, he says Nana might be the second best.

He says this after having evaluated Bates, Menet, Thorpe, McGovern, etc in prior Years.

He said he’s going to text some people up at PSU to suggest they play Walker and Thorpe on the same side so they can kill some people. Love it.

Not that it matters, but - Actually, he said the exact opposite. :rolleyes:

Unless he is in disagreement with every other college coach in the country :)

You are correct. I was interpreting it as touching the ball. He was saying that skill players, that start a play further away, such as DB's, WR's and RB's (and even LB's) have a much easier transition than the linemen where the physicality necessary must be gained by some time in the wt. room .... and the QB. But I stand by my opinion that is is easier to play and contribute at RB than it is at WR.....

SAB told PL he is hopeful to have to only spend one year in IA. I guess time will tell. He will be a DB for his team.

That is great news. And I also like him getting experience at DB, as he looks to have the build of a hard hitting Safety and we are already loaded at WR.....

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...6965808/penn-state-commits-signees-2018-class

Penn State’s 2018 signing class finalizes the Lions’ return to blue-blood status

The Nittany Lions have emerged as the most serious Big Ten East challenger to Ohio State.

usa_today_10506420.0.jpg

Penn State, at the moment, is only looking up at Ohio State in the Big Ten.
Ohio State is one of the top two recruiting programs in the country and remains the class of the Big Ten, both on the field and on the trail. But Penn State was significantly better than Michigan last year and only put more distance between itself and UM with this signing class. Michigan’s class was smaller than the last few years, which is just a function of scholarship math. But Penn State’s still moving forward more quickly.

One of those three schools — OSU, PSU, Michigan — should win the Big Ten East and then the Big Ten Championship every year. They’re more talented than the rest of the East and anybody in the West, including perpetually overachieving Wisconsin.

The Nittany Lions have put down a down payment on a house in the 10-win neighborhood. As long as you’re in that zip code, you’ve got a shot.

Penn State football’s national title dreams in sight after stellar 2018 recruiting class

MAIN

A day after Wednesday’s national signing day, a survey — telling of Penn State’s meteoric rise under James Franklin — blew up on Twitter. Pick Six Previews, a college football media company, determined the best brands in the game by polling 224 recruits to “grade their interest and desire in each program” as if they were the nation’s No. 1 prospect.

Out of 129 football programs in the FBS, the Nittany Lions landed No. 3 — behind only Ohio State and Clemson, national champions in 2014 and 2017, respectively.

Now, after a pair of back-to-back 11-win seasons and Penn State’s best recruiting class in recent memory, that brand ranking is on-point. The presence of Saquon Barkley and Joe Moorhead have a lot to do with the program’s turnaround. No doubt. But the recruiting efforts of Franklin and his staff have brought Penn State back to powerhouse status — and will keep it there for years to come.

By earning Nana Asiedu and Rasheed Walker’s signatures, Penn State became only one of two teams this cycle to land a pair of top-10 offensive tackles. The Nittany Lions are the only ones to sign two four-star tight ends (Zack Kuntz, Pat Freiermuth).

The 2018 group ranks second-best in the Big Ten, and the disparities are mind-boggling. According to 247 Sports’ rankings formula, Penn State’s class garnered 285.92 points. The difference between the Nittany Lions and the No. 3 team in the Big Ten, Michigan, is 55.36 points — a larger gap than the one between Michigan and the conference’s worst class, Northwestern.

Penn State has separated itself from every Big Ten school not named Ohio State — and the Nittany Lions have done it in a relatively short span.

Updated multi-year recruiting rankings after 2018: Penn State and Miami are joining elite company

By Bill Connelly@SBN_BillC Feb 8, 2018, 12:45pm EST

900632104.jpg.0.jpg

Both Penn State and Miami have kicked their respective recruiting games up a notch or two. Penn State’s 2018 haul finished fifth overall in my percentile ratings, ahead of Alabama, while Miami finished eighth, just behind the Crimson Tide. James Franklin has taken full advantage of PSU’s recent on-field success.

The fact that the Wolverines ranked only 23rd in my 2018-only ratings doesn’t tell a favorable story about what might happen if Michigan doesn’t break through as envisioned this fall, could this be the beginning of a trend, or is just a blip? Now’s the time for Harbaugh to put the pieces together on the field so he doesn’t have to find out the answer to that question.

I just realized we signed the #1 and #2 composite players from New Jersey. While Michigan signed Zero from NJ. What happened to that #NJtoAA pipeline? Chris Partridge isn't doing his job.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I just realized we signed the #1 and #2 composite players from New Jersey. While Michigan signed Zero from NJ. What happened to that #NJtoAA pipeline? Chris Partridge isn't doing his job.

Chris is a good guy, but didn't coach in NJ long enough to develop many relationships. Anyone who though otherwise was badly mistaken (Jimmy, can you hear me?).

Reactions: masterbaker65
I attended the Ohio HS Football Coaches Clinic in Columbass this weekend. One of the speakers was a former coach at Ohio Dominican, and is not entrusted with starting up Whelling Jesuit University in WV.
He was talking about Ohio being a rich state for high school football recruiting, but was unsure if it was an email to only college coaches, or if the information was available to general public. I have looked, but unsuccessfully. I'll try more later.

The comment he made was over 400 (thinking it was in the 420's) high school football seniors from Ohio signed to play football this year. D-1 was around 100, with D-2 and D-3 getting the other 320 in some breakdown I can't recall.

Thought it was interesting is all. Not earth-shattering news by any means.

OL

I attended the Ohio HS Football Coaches Clinic in Columbass this weekend. One of the speakers was a former coach at Ohio Dominican, and is not entrusted with starting up Whelling Jesuit University in WV.
He was talking about Ohio being a rich state for high school football recruiting, but was unsure if it was an email to only college coaches, or if the information was available to general public. I have looked, but unsuccessfully. I'll try more later.

The comment he made was over 400 (thinking it was in the 420's) high school football seniors from Ohio signed to play football this year. D-1 was around 100, with D-2 and D-3 getting the other 320 in some breakdown I can't recall.

Thought it was interesting is all. Not earth-shattering news by any means.

OL
Not quite the same, but here's the D1 breakdown by state, percentage wise.

Call me in 4 years. SB was considered by not a single service as the number 1 running back in the county. Three years later.. DUh.... the recruiting fruit flies get it.

There is way more to this than numbers. PSU has the best head coach in the country right now and the dick heads in the ranking business don't have the balls or brains it to state it outright. The coaching staff underneath this coach has gotten more promotions than shose under Sabin and the ultimate wussy coach Urban Meyer....who had to pretend to hace a deathly illnesses to recruit a 5 star player who under achieved when the Bser had no such illness.

CJF is the present and the future. His staff changes but despite that change makes recruits achieve beyond their expectations and the true athletes that are bright and observant get it (Oweh, Walker,,,,, et all.... are bright as well as physically talented). When will the dipshits that rank players add the intelligence component to their rankings? the NFL does but the do nothing highschool evaluation groupees somehow miss this.

Write this down... the old guys in the profession are not happy about CJF and what he has accomplished at Vandy or PSU. They will also, many of them be gone when he is still on his ascent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT