ADVERTISEMENT

2018 PSU WSOC Thread

I think the ref got it right. Looked like whole ball was inside. Tough one.

anybody have video of the play in question? I didn't see the game, but from the write-up it sounds as though PSU's GK was bumped on the play. I'd like to see the play.

anybody have video of the play in question? I didn't see the game, but from the write-up it sounds as though PSU's GK was bumped on the play. I'd like to see the play.
Tom, I was watching the game and it appeared the UCLA player and our goalie met @ the ball which caused the PSU goalie to be brushed back in the goal. Didn'T appear to be a purposeful shove, rather incidental contact. I have no idea what the rule is, but our goalie definitely had the ball across the line in the goal, although it was very close. Again, I have no knowledge of the rule book on such a play.

Tom, I was watching the game and it appeared the UCLA player and our goalie met @ the ball which caused the PSU goalie to be brushed back in the goal. Didn'T appear to be a purposeful shove, rather incidental contact. I have no idea what the rule is, but our goalie definitely had the ball across the line in the goal, although it was very close. Again, I have no knowledge of the rule book on such a play.

For a not-very-definitive video:

3gFJ8uDeyZvXjRXgLqe00jtFHZRzvVzdwv_W46REGY8xd-3vMb5FVpWpo8nDBuOcPPH9wBiyK1iEhvOiAXiv6F4PQto_cVtOQqFtO5IAdB_vl9GSus6II7actdDlMJbQ7V8rcYXT

For a still photo, which doesn't show what happened before:

Rick asked about the actual rule. That's not as helpful as you might think. A goal is scored if the entire ball crossed the vertical goal line (i.e., passed the imaginary line between the line on the field and the crossbar). In the above tweet, the ball has certainly crossed the line.

However, if the goalie collects the ball, or catches the ball, and is fouled (bumped into, pushed, kicked, etc.), which causes her to "fall" into the goal, the ref should call the foul, and no goal is scored.

The above video is not all that conclusive. The UCLA player on the wing centers the ball. The PSU GK and the UCLA midfield both went for the ball, which is each of their rights, as there is no possession on the ball. The UCLA midfielder does not play the ball (i.e., play it with any part of their body), while the PSU GK catches it. The UCLA midfielder, in attempting to play the ball, does bump the PSU GK. It does not appear to be a hard bump, which would be an obvious foul. However, the midfielder ends up past the PSU GK in the goal (from the above tweet), which does give an indication of the force she brought to the play.

If the same play happened 4 yards in front of the goal, it's very unlikely that the GK would have ended up in the goal. In a situation like that, the ref would have either 1) called a foul on the midfielder, or 2) not called a foul on the midfielder, but verbally informed her that she needed to be more careful on future plays or she would be shown a yellow card. Either approach would have been appropriate, and they happen quite frequently in soccer games.

Bumping into a GK and causing the GK to end up crossing the goal line is pretty rare, so it's not a situation that refs experience all that often (if at all). Since the bump by the midfielder seemed to be based on a legitimate effort to play the ball, and seemed rather incidental in the above video, the ref was placed in a tough situation.

Instant replay is allowed in college soccer, and it took place on this play. It has to be agreed to before the game by both coaches. In addition, the ref is limited in its use to (from the NCAA rules):

• determine whether a goal has been scored
  • identify players for disciplinary matters
  • determine whether a fight occurred and identify all participants
The ref was not allowed to use the replay to decide whether or not the GK was fouled.

If you showed the above video to a room full of refs, and asked if it was a goal or a foul, you'd likely get 33% saying a goal, 33% saying a foul and thus no goal, and 33% wanting to see the video again before offering an opinion (which you don't get in real time when reffing a game).

My basic take is that the bump by the UCLA midfielder was not all that bad, and that anywhere else on the field it would be a non-issue (i.e., not called as a foul). However, my general take is that if one player bumps into/kicks/pushes/etc. another player, even if incidental, but does so in a manner that causes the player to go out-of-bounds, give up the ball, or in this case cross the goal line, that the foul should be called, especially if not calling it results in a goal.

It really is a tough call. The center ref in the PSU game was neither right nor wrong. I probably would have called it otherwise, but I can not fault the ref.

PSU playing @ NW on BTN right now. It's 0-0 in the 1st half. PSU is playing well, but has not yet gotten a goal.

Damn, NW scores off a corner with 9 sec left in the 1st half. The ball was on the foot of the PSU defender, but she did not successfully clear the ball (she kicked it straight, right into the NW player, instead of clearing it to the side). NW up 1-0 at the half.

PSU absolutely dominated the 2nd half. And yet, NW totally packed things in, and PSU never could get the equalizer.

Tough loss for PSU. Only the 4th time NW has defeated PSU WSoc.

Only 2 shots for NW, yet they win the match.

Reactions: TheGLOV
btw, PSU defeated Rutgers, 1-0, over the weekend. With that win, PSU moved into 1st place in the B1G women's soccer standings.
Definitely miss the alumni assoc weekly football letter, as it was main source for keeping up with the "other" sports. Appreciate the updates!

PSU defeated Minny today, 2-0, in Senior Day at Jeffrey Field. In so doing, they clinched the 2018 B1G regular season title.

By virtue of being the regular season champion, PSU will have the #1 seed in the B1G tourney, and will host a quarterfinal match next Sunday (10/28).

PSU scores in the 88th minute of the quarterfinal B1G Tourney match against Michigan, to take a 1-0 lead late in the game.

The goal was scored when the Illinois player tried to clear a pass and put the ball into the Illinois goal instead. The winner of the Minn-Nebraska match will face Penn State in the finals. Minn is leading 1-0 with about 10 minutes left, and is seeded #7.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Minny won the other semifinal, 2-0, over Nebraska. So it will be PSU - Minny in the conference final, at noon, on Sunday. The game will be shown on the BTN. The two teams met in PSU's regular season finale, with PSU winning the match, 2-0.
thanks for merging this, tom. looked for that thread 3 times and couldn't find it. it's tough to get old:mad:.

PSU loses on penalty kicks, 4-5 in 7 rounds, to Minnesota following a 0-0 tie in 2OT. Tough weekend for PSU sports.

interesting. it's somewhat unusual to get to 7 rounds in PKs.

hopefully, PSU can get their offensive mojo back for NCAAs. They have seemed to struggle scoring goals this season.

hopefully, PSU can get their offensive mojo back for NCAAs. They have seemed to struggle scoring goals this season.

While maybe not up to their usually standards, they still managed to lead the Big Ten in goals scored

In the US Open Cup earlier this year, it got to the goalies in the Crew-Fire game.....

ADVERTISEMENT