ADVERTISEMENT

2018 PSU Women's VB Thread

It's a really nice win, had to be really satisfying for Rose and the team.

First they won without Kaitlin Hord who is probably going to be an All-American. She is a dominant player offensively and defensively and they managed this without her.

Secondly they won a rugged, physical, ugly match and they won because they had a little more gas in the tank and a little more composure than Nebraska (and no doubt the home crowd helps)

Got lots of contributions from a lot of players. Made a lot of mistakes, but they really fought they really competed and that is the thing that Rose wants the most. He wants his teams to fight and scrap.

Last year's team had an enormously talented senior class with Washington and Frantti and Lee but this team might have more potential because they are really tough defensively. Kendall White is such a force. Taylor Leath is a super versatile player, the two freshmen stars (Parker and Gray) look ready to play, and Nia Reed, who has been hampered by injuries for so much of her career, is 100% and finally reaching her enormoush potential. Reed if she can stay healthy could be All-B1G or maybe AA, the way she played in this match.

Just such a pity that so few matches are televised. It's going to be a fun year to see how much this team can grow and what they can accomplish in December.
I agree that Parker, Reed, and White in particular played really well, and are likely to continue to improve during the season, One more name to add to the praise is Weiskerscher. She brings great leadership to the mix and looks as if she is having a lot of fun as well. I suspect her personality is something which carries over.

The latest polls/rankings are below. PSU moved up to #4 in the AVCA Top 25, and up to #5 in the Volleytalk Top 25

u8TNtYT.jpg

The latest polls/rankings are below. PSU moved up to #4 in the AVCA Top 25, and up to #5 in the Volleytalk Top 25

u8TNtYT.jpg

FLAG!

These are the 10/8 polls, not the 10/15 polls!

You’re obviously still stunned from Saturday’s TWO upsets.....FB losing and WVB winning!

Reactions: TheGLOV
FLAG!

These are the 10/8 polls, not the 10/15 polls!

You’re obviously still stunned from Saturday’s TWO upsets.....FB losing and WVB winning!

my bad. I was looking at the 10/15 polls, but couldn't get the comparison image. I scrolled up where I usually get the comparison from, and saw what I thought was a version that I could get and thus attach. Turns out I was attaching last week's polls. My bad.

Here are the 10/15 polls:

AVCA Top 25

The top five, and their previous ranking in parenthesis are as follows:

1. BYU (1)
2. Stanford (2)
3. Minnesota (3)
4. PSU (9)
5. Nebraska (5)

VolleyTalk Top 25

1. BYU (1)
2. Stanford (2)
3. Minnesota (3)
4. Nebraska (4)
5. PSU (8)

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I agree that Parker, Reed, and White in particular played really well, and are likely to continue to improve during the season, One more name to add to the praise is Weiskerscher. She brings great leadership to the mix and looks as if she is having a lot of fun as well. I suspect her personality is something which carries over.

Huh??? Are you her mother?

As talented as the recently graduated class was, they often did not seem to have the fire in their bellies to finish off an opponent. This freshmen class came of age against Nebraska. They could have easily rolled over after being abused in the second set, but they fought their way back and won in five. Russ might not say it publicly, but I'm sure he's tremendously proud of them.

Here here!

ESPN: Young Penn State Nittany Lions rising to the top of Big Ten volleyball

Daily Collegian: Penn State women's volleyball answers the challenge from their coach

Daily Collegian: Russ Rose downplays Penn State women's volleyball's upset win over Nebraska

VolleyMob: VolleyMob Top 25 Power Rankings (Week 8): Penn State Makes A Massive Jump

VolleyMob: Week 8 Notebook: Illinois, Kansas, Penn State UCF
(scroll down to the section titled Penn State and Illinois stick around in the Big Ten title race to read about the B1G title)

Rancho Sante Fe Review: Award-winning Ninja teacher making a difference at Rowe
(pretty inspiring article about a former PSU VB player)

The Winchester Star: Athlete Spotlight -- Hillbrook volleyball player Jordan Reid
(nice to read that PSU coaches and PSU former players leave such a positive impression for high school athletes)

FloVolleyball: Big Ten Notebook -- Week of Oct. 15
(nice piece that highlights different parts of the past week, and the forthcoming week, in the B1G)

I agree that Parker, Reed, and White in particular played really well, and are likely to continue to improve during the season, One more name to add to the praise is Weiskerscher. She brings great leadership to the mix and looks as if she is having a lot of fun as well.

+1. Reed and Weiskircher both redshirted, which is unusual in college volleyball, and that redshirt is really paying off because the team really needs the senior leadership -- and they both have been on the big stage a lot. I don't think many people expected this team to be a B1G contender, and it's still early, but since their 0-2 start in the B1G they've now won 6 straight matches.

Reactions: flash86 and TheGLOV
my bad. I was looking at the 10/15 polls, but couldn't get the comparison image. I scrolled up where I usually get the comparison from, and saw what I thought was a version that I could get and thus attach. Turns out I was attaching last week's polls. My bad.

Here are the 10/15 polls:

AVCA Top 25

1. BYU (1)
2. Stanford (2)
3. Minnesota (3)
4. PSU (9)
5. Nebraska (5)

VolleyTalk Top 25

1. BYU (1)
2. Stanford (2)
3. Minnesota (3)
4. Nebraska (4)
5. PSU (8)
Nice to see five from the B1G in the top ten. My question. Has B1G women's volleyball historically been this strong? Or could it be due to a couple strong programs bringing the spotlight to the conference this making it more competitive and desirable in the eyes of talented prep players? Certainly not all the top talent will land in the B1G but it seems the conference draws enough to have half its teams ranked in the top 20.

+1. Reed and Weiskircher both redshirted, which is unusual in college volleyball, and that redshirt is really paying off because the team really needs the senior leadership -- and they both have been on the big stage a lot. I don't think many people expected this team to be a B1G contender, and it's still early, but since their 0-2 start in the B1G they've now won 6 straight matches.

There is no substitute for a quality/experienced setter. Every PSU Natty had a great setter. Wisky lived and died with their setter a few years ago and Nebraska struggles on occasion, despite having two All Americans on the floor, because their setter is inexperienced. If Weiskircher can continue the stellar play PSU has a shot against anybody.

Nice to see five from the B1G in the top ten. My question. Has B1G women's volleyball historically been this strong? Or could it be due to a couple strong programs bringing the spotlight to the conference this making it more competitive and desirable in the eyes of talented prep players? Certainly not all the top talent will land in the B1G but it seems the conference draws enough to have half its teams ranked in the top 20.

PSU raised the bar in the B1G. They forced schools like Minnesota to spend on top coaches and the addition of Nebraska was a big boost. It is by far the toughest conference to win. When PSU began their run there was no Nebraska and PSU dominated most B1G teams. Not so now. Michigan, Purdue, tOSU, Illinois and others have stepped it up. Some day a 4th or 5th place B1G team will win a Natty.

PSU raised the bar in the B1G. They forced schools like Minnesota to spend on top coaches and the addition of Nebraska was a big boost. It is by far the toughest conference to win. When PSU began their run there was no Nebraska and PSU dominated most B1G teams. Not so now. Michigan, Purdue, tOSU, Illinois and others have stepped it up.

It worked the other way around as well. Being in the B1G got Rose's program over the top and made the dynasty possible. It was after the B1G that Rose finally was able to get the full complement of scholarships allowed by the NCAA and the budget to recruit nationally. Before that, PSU mostly drew from east coast and never had quite enough size to win championships.

What I'd like to know is why Pac-10 volleyball which used to be so dominant has fallen. Stanford is still Stanford, and UW has had some great teams, but programs like USC and Cal and UCLA are not contenders like they once were.

PSU raised the bar in the B1G. They forced schools like Minnesota to spend on top coaches and the addition of Nebraska was a big boost. It is by far the toughest conference to win. When PSU began their run there was no Nebraska and PSU dominated most B1G teams. Not so now. Michigan, Purdue, tOSU, Illinois and others have stepped it up. Some day a 4th or 5th place B1G team will win a Natty.

Wisconsin came close in 2013. They finished fourth in the B10 but almost won the NCAA title. They beat #1 ranked Texas in the semifinals then lost to PSU 1-3 in the finals.

Reactions: NedFromYork
It worked the other way around as well. Being in the B1G got Rose's program over the top and made the dynasty possible. It was after the B1G that Rose finally was able to get the full complement of scholarships allowed by the NCAA and the budget to recruit nationally. Before that, PSU mostly drew from east coast and never had quite enough size to win championships.

What I'd like to know is why Pac-10 volleyball which used to be so dominant has fallen. Stanford is still Stanford, and UW has had some great teams, but programs like USC and Cal and UCLA are not contenders like they once were.

From a club perspective, the West Coast is not as dominant in girls VB as boys. For example, in last years 18 yo rankings, 3/5 top 5 teams are from Indiana and Great Lakes, 4th is from Tx and only one from Ca. And while the elite CA schools can recruit with anybody, one doesn’t have to go to CA for a chance at NCAA championship anymore, as B1G, UT, UF show.

Why would you question that? I follow the sport closely, am a member of the booster club, and have spoken to Coach Rose on occasion. Brianna adds a lot to the team chemistry aside from her playmaking ability. Do you disagree with my opinion?

Yes, wholeheartedly.

Its still a road game in the Big10. They gave us a game in Set 3 and may be feeling some confidence. Any win on the road in this conference is a good win.

Interesting stat on Rutgers. They feature 8 players from abroad including players from Serbia, Russia, Israel, and Germany, and 4 players from the USA. They have more Euros than an ice hockey team. How do they recruit these women?

Hey, our men's VB team used to be represented by several of those Foreign types as well.

Really when? In the last 20 years, I can only think of three. One from Brazil a decade ago and two from Mexico 15+ years ago. There are a lot more foreigners on a lot more sports at PSU than that (even the women's VB team has had more foreigners over the last 20 years).

EDIT: Forgot that we have one senior from Norway so make that about four in 20 years (i think there's a frosh on the team from London too). .

Last edited:
Interesting stat on Rutgers. They feature 8 players from abroad including players from Serbia, Russia, Israel, and Germany, and 4 players from the USA. They have more Euros than an ice hockey team. How do they recruit these women?

Their assistant coach with the pixie haircut only speaks Russian during the matches. I’m not sure some of the players on the court speak English. I think 2 of the starters are american. With worldwide recruiting going on, you’d think they’d be able to win a conference match once in a while.

Their assistant coach with the pixie haircut only speaks Russian during the matches. I’m not sure some of the players on the court speak English. I think 2 of the starters are american. With worldwide recruiting going on, you’d think they’d be able to win a conference match once in a while.

Well, hopefully not tomorrow!

Heck, one of the current football players is one of dem furriners

<s>Recent</s> women VB foreigners:

Tori Gorrell - Ontario
Carolyn Graham - Haiti
Jenna Novakovic - Serbia
Fatima Balza - Venezuela
Syndie Nadeau - Quebec
Zeynep Ton - Turkey

Last edited:
Anyone know who the 2019 recruits are? Team will need at least 1, maybe 2 OH/MB to replace Reed, Gorrell.

Anyone know who the 2019 recruits are? Team will need at least 1, maybe 2 OH/MB to replace Reed, Gorrell.

Here ya go:

1. Gabi Bailey, 6'1" OH, Westborough, MA
2. Lauren Clark, 6'1" OH, Armstrong, MN
3. Sydney Ferguson, 6'2" OH, North Stafford, VA
4. Macall Peed, 5'8" L/DS, Torrey Pines, CA
5. Mae Rowley, 5'8", L/DS, Wilmington, NC

A lot of schools recruit foreign players heavily, especially JUCOs. Many of the better JUCO players move up to mid-major and even higher D1 schools. You may remember Fatima Balza, who played for Penn State in 09-10. She played JUCO ball at a school in Nebraska before coming to Penn State. She was one of our starting middles until Katie Slay won that spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT