ADVERTISEMENT

2018 PSU Women's VB Thread

Snarky.
I was comparing it to my daughter’s middle school club volleyball.

Then you get the sneaky kid who serves darts underhand and nobody can return it because they never see underhand serves and they don't expect every serve to go in.

Then you get the sneaky kid who serves darts underhand and nobody can return it because they never see underhand serves and they don't expect every serve to go in.

Last year was her first year playing club volleyball. Her team was brutal. As the year progressed my frustration grew. The lack of players moving towards to the ball, the relentless attack of whistles, the annoyance of parents yelling, “That’s OK!” as the ball falls gently to the ground while the players just watch it as if the were watching butterflies land on tulips in a field. So, I retreated more and more to contain my frustration, not wanting it to spill out. At the last tournament of the year I sat in the front row of the stands, a reasonable distance away from the other parents. By this point I was wearing headphones and listening to music to block out the whistles and mindlessly approving parents while also helping me to escape the frustration of thevplay in the court. During one game I watched five straight plays where nobody moved towards the ball on the serve. After the last one- in my own headphone induced world- I blurted out, “Aw for f#%& sake!”. After noticing all the parents looking at me I realized what I had said and apologized to them.

Reactions: kevin310
Last year was her first year playing club volleyball. Her team was brutal. As the year progressed my frustration grew. The lack of players moving towards to the ball, the relentless attack of whistles, the annoyance of parents yelling, “That’s OK!” as the ball falls gently to the ground while the players just watch it as if the were watching butterflies land on tulips in a field. So, I retreated more and more to contain my frustration, not wanting it to spill out. At the last tournament of the year I sat in the front row of the stands, a reasonable distance away from the other parents. By this point I was wearing headphones and listening to music to block out the whistles and mindlessly approving parents while also helping me to escape the frustration of thevplay in the court. During one game I watched five straight plays where nobody moved towards the ball on the serve. After the last one- in my own headphone induced world- I blurted out, “Aw for f#%& sake!”. After noticing all the parents looking at me I realized what I had said and apologized to them.

If it's 10U or 12U that is pretty standard. If it's 14U, you may want to look at a different club, she isn't going to get anything out of being on a team like that. I officiate all over and there are some ridiculous 10U teams that I've seen at AAU grand prix around the lancaster area. Rallies last forever though, because everything over the net is essentially a free ball, and everyone on the team is essentially a libero and nothing hits the floor.

Set 3:

1-0, Stanford, kill by Stanford from the MB
2-0, Stanford, kill by Reed is blocked by Stanford
3-0, Stanford, Bryana called for a backcourt violation
3-1, Stanford, kill by Reed off the blocker's head
3-2, Stanford, kill by Parker
4-2, Stanford, mishit by MB for Stanford just falls inside the line
4-3, Stanford, kill by ?? (Parker, I think)
5-3, Stanford, dink shot by Stanford finds the floor
6-3, Stanford, Leath's kill attempt was OOB
7-3, Stanford, kill by Plummer for Stanford
7-4, Stanford, kill by Gorrell from the MB
8-4, Stanford, kill by the OH for Stanford
8-5, Stanford, kill by Leath
9-5, Stanford, kill by Plummer for Stanford
10-5, Stanford, block of a kill attempt by Reed (or Leath; not sure)
10-6, Stanford, kill attempt by Stanford is into the net
10-7, Stanford, kill attempt by Hord; not sure what the call was
10-8, Stanford, dink attempt by Stamford goes into the net
11-8, Stanford, kill by Plummer for Stanford
11-9, Stanford, kill by Stanford goes into the antenna or OOB (not sure)
12-9, Stanford, kill by Plummer for Stanford
13-9, Stanford, service ace by Stanford (Plummer) (PSU thought it would be out
13-10, Stanford, foot fault on the service by Plummer for Stanford
14-10, Stanford, kill by OH for Stanford
14-11, Stanford, kill by Parker
15-11, Stanford, mishit by PSU; PSU coaches feel there was a double hit by Stanford that was not called
15-12, Stanford, kill by PSU (missed who shot it)
16-12, Stanford, great D by PSU, but kill by Stanford's OH ends the volley
17-12, Stanford, kill by Leath is blocked for a point by Stanford
18-12, Stanford, net violation by PSU
TO, PSU, their 1st
19-12, Stanford, kill attempt by Gorrell is blocked by Stanford
20-12, Stanford, kill attempt by PSU is blocked by Stanford
20-13, Stanford, net violation by Stanford
20-14, Stanford, kill attempt by Plummer for Stanford is blocked by PSU
21-14, Stanford, kill on the slide by Stanford
21-15, Stanford, kill by Gorrell
21-16, Stanford, service ace by Gorrell
21-17, Stanford, kill by Reed
TO, Stanford, their 1st
22-17, Stanford, kill by Plummer for Stanford
22-18, Stanford, kill by Reed
23-18, Stanford, kill by Stanford's OH, looked OOB, but a touch by PSU
23-19, Stanford, kill by Parker
24-19, Stanford, kill by the OH for Stanford is blocked OOB by PSU
24-20, Stanford, kill by Hord
25-20, Stanford, kill by the OH for Stanford

Stanford leads the match 2 sets to 1. PSU must win sets 4 and 5 to advance to the final four.

We led 20-16 in set 2. Championship teams don't blow a late 4 point lead. Now down 2-1. If it's any consolation, I don't think either of these teams beats BYU.

Reactions: TheGLOV
We led 20-16 in set 2. Championship teams don't blow a late 4 point lead. Now down 2-1. If it's any consolation, I don't think either of these teams beats BYU.

If Stanford plays like they are right now it's going to be tough for anyone to beat them

If it's 10U or 12U that is pretty standard. If it's 14U, you may want to look at a different club, she isn't going to get anything out of being on a team like that. I officiate all over and there are some ridiculous 10U teams that I've seen at AAU grand prix around the lancaster area. Rallies last forever though, because everything over the net is essentially a free ball, and everyone on the team is essentially a libero and nothing hits the floor.

It’s a quality club (one of the players from Penn State is from the club) but it was the lower tier team of her age group. She improved quite a bit and will be playing up on a more skilled team this year.

Set 4:

1-0, Stanford, on a service ace
1-1, tied, kill by Gorrell
2-1, Stanford, service error by PSU
3-1, Stanford, bad set caused PSU to be unable to return the ball
3-2, Stanford, service error by Stanford
3-3, tied, back row violation by Stanford
challenge by Stanford
call is confirmed
4-3, Stanford, kill by OH for Stanford
5-3, Stanford, block by Stanford of a kill attempt by Parker
5-4, Stanford, kill by Parker after a long volley
6-4, Stanford, kill by OH for Stanford
7-4, Stanford, kill by Hord is called OOB (it was real close)
8-4, Stanford, kill by Parker is blocked by Stanford
8-5, Stanford (missed the play)
9-5, Stanford, kill attempt by Leath is OOB
9-6, Stanford, kill by Parker
10-6, Stanford, kill by Plummer for Stanford is touched by PSU
11-6, Stanford, dink shot by MB for Stanford
12-6, Stanford, kill attempt by Gorrell on a slide is blocked by Stanford
12-7, Stanford, kill by Leath
13-7, Stanford, kill on a slide by Stanford'd MB
13-8, Stanford, service error by Stanford
14-8, Stanford, kill by Plummer for Stanford
15-8, Stanford, kill attempt by Reed is blocked by Stanford's MB
not looking good. PSU needs to make some adjustments during the TV TO
16-8, Stanford, kill by Stanford on an over pass by PSU
16-9, Stanford, service error by Stanford
16-10, Stanford, kill by Reed on an over pass by Stanford
16-11, Stanford, block by Hord of a kill attempt by Stanford
17-11, Stanford, kill was OOB, but PSU with a net violation
17-12, Stanford, Stanford called for reaching over
challenge of the call by Stanford
call is overturned -- a net violation by PSU
18-11, Stanford, due to the overturn
TO, PSU, their 1st
18-12, Stanford, on a kill by Hord
19-12, Stanford -- Hord could of killed an over pass, but decided to set, which got blocked by Stanford
19-13, Stanford, kill by Hord
20-13, Stanford, kill by OH for Stanford
20-14, Stanford, net violation by Stanford
20-15, Stanford, kill by PSU after a great save by Stanford
21-15, Stanford, setter of Stanford surprised PSU
21-16, Stanford, Bryana with a point
22-16, Stanford, service error by PSU (terrible timing)
23-16, Stanford, kill by Stanford OH
TO, PSU, their 2nd
24-16, Stanford, kill attempt by Reed is blocked by Stanford
25-16, Stanford, kill by Plummer for Stanford

Stanford wins the match, 3 sets to 1

PSU looked great in the 1st set, and in the 1st half of the 2nd set, but they got steamrolled by Stanford from that point on.

Tough ending to a very nice season for PSU

I believe this is the first group of Penn State seniors in 15 years that did not win at least 1 national championship.

Last edited:
A shame the Ladies let up in Set 2, they were playing SO WELL. They were never ever able to regain the mo.

Key to everything tonight.

Down hill after that.

Proud of them anyway!!
I said they had to win the second set at the time.... While they were playing well, Stanford was playing at home, and we needed to create a Big deficit to make them :turtle" a little. Didn't happen. DARN

Stanford cut down on the service errors too. I agree - I live in Omaha and am sooo sick of hearing about how amazing the Husker women are.

A shame the Ladies let up in Set 2, they were playing SO WELL. They were never ever able to regain the mo.

It seemed that they were not the same after the challenge by RR in the middle of the 2nd set........ Lost their focus and then Stanford took the momentum...

It seemed that they were not the same after the challenge by RR in the middle of the 2nd set........ Lost their focus and then Stanford took the momentum...

that makes no sense, IMHO. The score was 4-2, PSU, after the challenge. PSU went on from there to lead 16-11, and 20-16, yet ended up losing the set 23-25. I don't think the challenge, or how they played after the challenge, were any factor in the 2nd set.

I'm not sure if there's any one play that changed the set. PSU did seem to lose some focus after the back-to-back service aces by Stanford, which seemed to be caused in part by confusion between White and Reed as to who was responsible for playing them/that part of the floor.

I believe this is the first group of Penn State seniors in 15 years that did not win at least 1 national championship.

Question for those more knowledgeable than I .... has Russ lost his fastball these days?

Question for the board: I watched all 4 matches today. Excellent V-ball all around (expect for MAYBE Oregon). This year it SEEMS that the top 7-8 teams are closer in talent then I have ever seen. Yep, one team maybe slightly better, however, The "closeness" of these teams is amazing. Makes for some great V-ball. On a side note: very impressed with the freshman talent this year... Jonni, Eggleston and others that I can not remember.

Question for the board: I watched all 4 matches today. Excellent V-ball all around (expect for MAYBE Oregon). This year it SEEMS that the top 7-8 teams are closer in talent then I have ever seen. Yep, one team maybe slightly better, however, The "closeness" of these teams is amazing. Makes for some great V-ball. On a side note: very impressed with the freshman talent this year... Jonni, Eggleston and others that I can not remember.
What's the question?

Reactions: PSU&Trout

Yes, there is more top talent due to the success of the club system and more teams have All American type players. At one time PSU had 5-6 All Americans on the floor at the same time. Now the top 7-8 teams all have a couple.

Which sport has more parity: NCAA Div 1 women's basketball or NCAA Div 1 women's volleyball? Seems for quite awhile now the best female athletes are choosing volleyball over basketball. Yet ESPN continues to push women's basketball. And which would you rather watch? Volleyball of course.

Nop

nope. Young team this year. Will be a top favorite next year. Last yrs team was the one destined to win but lost in semifinals.
yea, lost indeed but had match point in the semi and bungled it. If they had won there I have no doubt they would have taken Florida in the final.

Volleyball is becoming more popular sport in the rural areas and these girls are playing all year round instead of just summer and there season which is because of the growing club teams. I still think basketball is more popular in the city areas but yes Volleyball is becoming a more watchable and more balanced competition across the board then basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT