ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Preseason articles....

Pizzo sounds like a Michigan fan in this. So much focus on what left and their stats. We have 4/5 star talent replacing them. OSU lost their all time leading passer, I guess they will stink on offense this year, right?

Interesting that he mentions Manny at LB. Cooper was not mentioned nor was Farmer, but I think none of us is worried about Koa. Seems like Cooper just hasn't developed yet.

Good to hear about DT, LB, and PKs and the overall culture.

You can tell the freshman class has upped the ante with talent and football IQ. Good sign that recruiting is getting better and better.

It was funny how Franklin steps away to yell at the WRs to jog off the field. Dude has been on that from day one.

And this is based on what?

Mostly media rumblings since camp started. I also recently read that Johnson had been running with the ones as of the first week of camp, although I can't seem to find the story now. I'll post if it pops up.

From Pennlive:
"Farmer and Brown look likely to be two of the three starters, with Bowen, Luketa, and Parsons among others from the scholarship fighting for the third first-team spot. It seems likely, however, that walk-on Jan Johnson might complete the trio as the middle linebacker on Sept. 1 when the season begins against Appalachian State."

From BSD:
"...but given his strong start and Penn State’s history at the position, don’t be surprised to see No. 36 take the field with the first-team defense on Sept. 1."

Again, these are just "reports" coming out of very short segments of practice where the media has limited access. Nothing concrete at all, just some things I've been reading over the past couple of days.

My opinion means nothing but wouldn't it make sense to throw one of the young guys in there from the start (Parsons, Luketa, Brooks)? Let them take their bumps against the easier portion of the schedule in hopes that they would learn a lot and be ready to go by September's end. It just seems counterintuitive to waste game reps on a somewhat known commodity (low ceiling) when you could prep a younger talent with a much higher ceiling.

We'll see, Coach knows what he is doing.

Mostly media rumblings since camp started. I also recently read that Johnson had been running with the ones as of the first week of camp, although I can't seem to find the story now. I'll post if it pops up.

From Pennlive:
"Farmer and Brown look likely to be two of the three starters, with Bowen, Luketa, and Parsons among others from the scholarship fighting for the third first-team spot. It seems likely, however, that walk-on Jan Johnson might complete the trio as the middle linebacker on Sept. 1 when the season begins against Appalachian State."

From BSD:
"...but given his strong start and Penn State’s history at the position, don’t be surprised to see No. 36 take the field with the first-team defense on Sept. 1."

Again, these are just "reports" coming out of very short segments of practice where the media has limited access. Nothing concrete at all, just some things I've been reading over the past couple of days.

My opinion means nothing but wouldn't it make sense to throw one of the young guys in there from the start (Parsons, Luketa, Brooks)? Let them take their bumps against the easier portion of the schedule in hopes that they would learn a lot and be ready to go by September's end. It just seems counterintuitive to waste game reps on a somewhat known commodity (low ceiling) when you could prep a younger talent with a much higher ceiling.

I wasn't asking why you think Johnson will play. I was asking on what you were basing your claim that if he does play that the defense won't be good. Not sure how any of us can know what Johnson can do because we haven't seen him. The coaches have. And if they think he's a better option at this point than a freshman I'm not sure what sense it makes to question it and, indirectly at least, disparage the kid.

Reactions: Judge Smails

From Pennlive:

From BSD:

App State isn't the joke some may think they are. Those guys will get reps in time though. If Brandon Smith was here as a former walk on, would you be questioning him playing over them? Jan Johnson has been there a few years and knows the system. Not to mention this staff has shown time and time again they'll play anyone regardless of the class when they feel they are ready. I don't even bother to question it anymore because is pretty silly to at this point. If you run faster to the wrong spot, does it make you a better LB? If you're the MLB and make the wrong call, but can jump higher, does it help? These are things that coaches look at that fans tend not to.

Nice look at the depth chart during Fall practice. Makes me realize that with Allen and Thomas gone after this season, I believe there is a 99% chance CJF will take 2 RB's in the 2019 class.......... Just can not see him going into 2019 with at most 4 RB's on the roster (assuming Sanders comes back for his 4th year)
I’d be pretty surprised if Sanders comes back next year. I think he, Johnson and Miller are pretty sure-fire early entry guys if they have anything close to the seasons that they’re projected to have in 2018.

Reactions: bmw199
App State isn't the joke some may think they are. Those guys will get reps in time though. If Brandon Smith was here as a former walk on, would you be questioning him playing over them? Jan Johnson has been there a few years and knows the system. Not to mention this staff has shown time and time again they'll play anyone regardless of the class when they feel they are ready. I don't even bother to question it anymore because is pretty silly to at this point. If you run faster to the wrong spot, does it make you a better LB? If you're the MLB and make the wrong call, but can jump higher, does it help? These are things that coaches look at that fans tend not to.

The other thing is.....they are going to play. Penn State is going to rotate ~6 defensive ends, ~5 defensive tackles, at least 6 linebackers, 3 or 4 safeties, 4-6 cornerbacks. We're talking all game, 1st quarter, etc. We play a ton of guys. If Johnson struggles, and someone else plays better at Mike, the coaches will see it. People get too caught up in who is starting Game 1. Unless you are at quarterback or offensive line, for the most part, there is going to be a rotation.

Ha, this may have been the moment when JF yells at them to jog off the field.

kyyxuorzrr8r8mcn4d7j

Listen, I get it that walk-ons can turn into great players and his name being mentioned is a testament to hard work. This isn't meant to be a knock on the kid at all. And again, this is all just MY OPINION. If Franklin truly has the trust in a walk-on who has rarely touched the field in 4 years, then so be it.

But let's be real for a moment. Will Bama, OSU, Clemson, Georgia, etc. be rolling out a Jan Johnson as their starting MLB? How long has he been in the program? And the only other time we've heard his name was during the 2016 Michigan game when we lost 5 LBers to injury that were ahead of him on the depth chart? Is he being mentioned only because we are extremely thin/inexperienced at MLB?

IMO, we won't go where we all want this team to go if Jan Johnson is the starting MLB this season. I like the idea of letting a younger, talented player grow into the position because his ceiling is much higher.

Who do you want covering JK Dobbins on a passing route on a crucial 3rd and 4? Spying Dwayne Haskins? Jan Johnson or Micah Parsons?

Listen, I get it that walk-ons can turn into great players and his name being mentioned is a testament to hard work. This isn't meant to be a knock on the kid at all. And again, this is all just MY OPINION. If Franklin truly has the trust in a walk-on who has rarely touched the field in 4 years, then so be it.

But let's be real for a moment. Will Bama, OSU, Clemson, Georgia, etc. be rolling out a Jan Johnson as their starting MLB? How long has he been in the program? And the only other time we've heard his name was during the 2016 Michigan game when we lost 5 LBers to injury that were ahead of him on the depth chart? Is he being mentioned only because we are extremely thin/inexperienced at MLB?

IMO, we won't go where we all want this team to go if Jan Johnson is the starting MLB this season. I like the idea of letting a younger, talented player grow into the position because his ceiling is much higher.

Who do you want covering JK Dobbins on a passing route on a crucial 3rd and 4? Spying Dwayne Haskins? Jan Johnson or Micah Parsons?

You're basing that last question solely on their recruiting rankings. You have absolutely no idea how good of a LB either is now or will be Sept. 29 vs. OSU. You're entitled to your opinion. But understand that your opinion is based on NOTHING which makes is worthless.

Reactions: 81b&w

It may not be all that common, but there have been instances of walk-ons being big starting contributors on potential national championship teams. Clay Matthews at USC is a great example.

If the coaching staff feel that he is the best option there to begin the season, then I will trust them with that decision making. I remember hearing a lot of this stuff about Josh Hull as well, and I'd say that worked out well for PSU.

Reactions: Madsol
I like the idea of letting a younger, talented player grow into the position because his ceiling is much higher.

The younger players will get playing time and get a chance to show that they are worthy of more playing time.

The coaches have watched hours of practice tape, workout footage, etc. I'd say they are in a better position than you to determine who should be starting.

And I guess you've forgotten already about other walkons we couldn't win with like Deon Butler (179 career catches, drafted), Carl Nassib (AA, lombardi winner, PSU all time season sack leader), Jordan Norwood (117 catches, 2015 yards, 13 TDs, NFL), Brandon Smith, Matt McGloin (multi year starter, NFL), Graham Zug (46 catches, 600yards, 7 tds in 2009) etc.

I get it, I get it. Walk-ons can turn into good players on very rare occasions. Time will tell and I guess we can revisit this debate midseason.

On a related note, was Johnson the walk-on that received the scholarship a few months back?

I wasn't asking why you think Johnson will play. I was asking on what you were basing your claim that if he does play that the defense won't be good. Not sure how any of us can know what Johnson can do because we haven't seen him. The coaches have. And if they think he's a better option at this point than a freshman I'm not sure what sense it makes to question it and, indirectly at least, disparage the kid.

The path of least resistance is to just FIRE. FRANKLIN. :eek: and give up on the season.

I hate us.

It may not be all that common, but there have been instances of walk-ons being big starting contributors on potential national championship teams. Clay Matthews at USC is a great example.

If the coaching staff feel that he is the best option there to begin the season, then I will trust them with that decision making. I remember hearing a lot of this stuff about Josh Hull as well, and I'd say that worked out well for PSU.

Even Alabama has a former walk-on LB, Jamey Mosley, starting for them.

If you listen to Franklin’s comments yesterday, he basically said Johnson and Brown were pushing to the top, and then it’s “just a bunch of guys.” He later added positive comments about Parsons and some other linebackers.

To me, it doesn’t sound like the gap is that close between Johnson and Brooks. IMO that’s a good thing when people separate themselves. The wildcard here is #43.

Last edited:
I posted this on TOS, but Johnson was a 2 time state wrestling champion in PA, played both ways in HS and made the Big 33 team. He accounted for over 5000 yards of offense in HS and lettered in track and lacrosse as well. He had other offers, but decided to walk on at PSU. This isn’t the usual walk-on. I would bet there are very few scholarship players on the team who had better prep careers than Johnson.

I posted this on TOS, but Johnson was a 2 time state wrestling champion in PA, played both ways in HS and made the Big 33 team. He accounted for over 5000 yards of offense in HS and lettered in track and lacrosse as well. He had other offers, but decided to walk on at PSU. This isn’t the usual walk-on. I would bet there are very few scholarship players on the team who had better prep careers than Johnson.
With Zembiec hanging up his cleats, I wonder if either Jan Johnson or Zach Simpson get a scholarship ?

The other thing is.....they are going to play. Penn State is going to rotate ~6 defensive ends, ~5 defensive tackles, at least 6 linebackers, 3 or 4 safeties, 4-6 cornerbacks. We're talking all game, 1st quarter, etc. We play a ton of guys. If Johnson struggles, and someone else plays better at Mike, the coaches will see it. People get too caught up in who is starting Game 1. Unless you are at quarterback or offensive line, for the most part, there is going to be a rotation.

You are going to start the guy who knows what he is doing initially. As the other, maybe more physically gifted players gain experience with reading formations and making calls, they will earn more playing time.

Clemson’s Hunter Renfro caught the winning TD when Clemson beat Bama in 2017 Championship Game. He was a walk on. All programs have them. Nebraska always had walk one step up in their “glory years”.

Well you do have to have enough speed to pursue. Brandon Smith could run. Hopefully Johnson can too. Kind of obvious to say, but if Johnson wins the starting job, he will be athletic enough to handle the position. If he's not athletic enough, they'll plug in the inexperienced guy and he'll take his lumps while he figures it out.

It took us a long time to appreciate Josh Hull because he was a walk-on and then he turned out to be athletic enough for the NFL.

Last edited:
I'm not sure who plays snap one is going to matter that much. I know others are skeptical of Bowen coming back when not being in the lifting program, but I don't buy the skepticism. Franklin said "really, really good" and I believe it. He's my bet to lead the team in both snaps and tackles from the LB position. I believe he'll end up at MLB.

Clemson’s Hunter Renfro caught the winning TD when Clemson beat Bama in 2017 Championship Game. He was a walk on. All programs have them. Nebraska always had walk one step up in their “glory years”.

Gregg Garrity Sr. was a walk-on and caught a TD pass in the 1982 national championship game against Georgia.

Exactly, Johnson is an elite athlete. He's not some IM football player they plucked out of Porter Hall.

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...ons-from-sean-spencer-and-matt-limegrover-bsd

• I would expect to see Yetur Gross-Matos take over Ryan Buchholz’s old duty of sliding inside on certain third down passing situations. Buchholz is down to just 258 pounds (he was listed at 275 pounds last year), and Spencer was quick to mention Gross-Matos when asked about defensive ends playing inside.
  • Overall, Spencer doesn’t seem too concerned about the depth at defensive tackle. As he put, “We got a lot of talent inside.” He said that every year he’s been here, there has always been question marks along the defensive front, but every year they’ve answered those. He pointed out that James Franklin doesn’t want to build a team, he wants to build a program, which is why they’re able to reload season-after-season.
  • I was curious to hear his thoughts on Judge Culpepper’s weight gain, now tipping the scales at 296 pounds after enrolling in the 275-280-pound area. “He was always a guy that could gain weight,” Spencer said of Culpepper. “He knew when we recruited him that we were going to expect him to move inside, and he embraced it.”
  • As for PJ Mustipher, Spencer said that the strength coaches were talking him up all summer. Specifically, “animal” was the term used. “When we went to practice yesterday, they weren’t wrong,” Spencer said.
  • While the general belief is that Penn State’s only true battle is between Chasz Wright and Will Fries for the right tackle spot, Coach Limegrover pointed out that there’s so much versatility on the line that guys can be switched around however to get the best five men on the field. “To be honest with you,” Limegrover said. “If I feel like Chasz Wright and Will Fries both are playing better than some of our inside guys, then Will Fries can go in a play guard.”
  • Probably not for this year, but Desmond Holmes is a name I’d keep an eye on for the future. Limegrover mentioned Holmes had a great summer, and that he was “working behind Bates.” Does that mean Holmes would come in if Bates got injured? Probably not — expect Will Fries to make the jump over — but it sounds like things are starting to click for the redshirt freshman.
  • Speaking of the bigger picture, Limegrover said that Rasheed Walker has impressed in the early going with his maturity. “He wants to play early, and I see that in how he’s approaching things,” Limegrover said of Walker. Of course, Limegrover also pointed out Walker’s “superior” athletic ability, and mentioned how guys around the program (including the strength and conditioning staff) have quickly taken notice of Walker.

I’d be pretty surprised if Sanders comes back next year. I think he, Johnson and Miller are pretty sure-fire early entry guys if they have anything close to the seasons that they’re projected to have in 2018.

I believe Johnson is has the highest probability of those 3 to move on to the NFL. Sanders would need a big, big year. And as for Miller, if he were my son I would advise him to stay and enjoy another year of college life. PSU DE's for the most part are too small to play DE in the NFL and their move to LB is a crap shoot at best. Barnes may have benefited from another year at PSU, or at least he would have had fun being a campus stud for another year, as he was out of position in the NFL. Tamba Hali made it big. Courtney Brown was a top choice. and Nassib may yet have a nice NFL career. But the smaller (< 270 lbs) PSU DE's really don't have a natural position in the NFL on most teams.....

App State isn't the joke some may think they are. Those guys will get reps in time though

I had not looked at App St. but they are two time Sun Belt champions and destroyed Toldeo 34-0 in Dollar bowl. Not a walk-over. Luckily they lost a ton of the team including 4 year starter at QB, two OL and most LBs. Still, they return pretty stout DL and secondary. This is a good opener for us. The team will get popped and have to struggle for yards. I don't expect a blowout. Possibly low scoring game going into half. Our young LBs will face good RB but raw QB. Should eventually swing to our favor by 3rd qtr.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I had not looked at App St. but they are two time Sun Belt champions and destroyed Toldeo 34-0 in Dollar bowl. Not a walk-over. Luckily they lost a ton of the team including 4 year starter at QB, two OL and most LBs. Still, they return pretty stout DL and secondary. This is a good opener for us. The team will get popped and have to struggle for yards. I don't expect a blowout. Possibly low scoring game going into half. Our young LBs will face good RB but raw QB. Should eventually swing to our favor by 3rd qtr.
Yep and people will freak out if it isn't 52-0 like they always do.

Scouting Reports: Anonymous Rival Coaches Dish on 20 of the Nation's Best Teams

https://www.si.com/college-football...ing-reports-clemson-alabama-michigan-oklahoma

PENN STATE
Trace McSorley is a terrific quarterback. The thing that makes him so effective and difficult to defend is his savvy—he makes great decisions. But he’s also so tough. You can hit him over and over, and he just keeps getting up. His backup, Tommy Stevens, is terrific, too. Not many teams have one quarterback they should feel this good about, and these guys have two. ... They’ve turned the offensive line from a weakness into a strength. A couple of years ago they had big guys who were stiff, but each year they get more developed. ... Obviously running back Saquon Barkley is a big loss, but Miles Sanders would come in games last year and there would be no drop-off. Losing tight end Mike Gesicki is different; it’s tough to find another one like him, but Juwan Johnson could emerge as a playmaker. ...

Defensively, they do a good job of mixing up fronts and pressures and keeping you off balance with their safeties. And if you ask our kids, they'll say they're the most physical team we face. Their D-line is not the most talented, but guys like Kevin Givens and Shareef Miller play harder than anyone else we play. [Coordinator Brent] Pry makes it tough to make big plays.

ADVERTISEMENT