ADVERTISEMENT

2018 NCAAs -- Session 4 Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
I'm setting this up in advance, but will be providing PBP during the Session.

please use this thread to discuss the matches of PSU wrestlers, matches of interest by other wrestlers, etc. If responding to a post, please use the Quote function. I'll post Mat assignments as I find them, but others are welcome to post that as well. I'll provide PBP as best as I can (I expect to be good for all matches, unless two PSU wrestlers are wrestling at the same time).

They'll reduce the mats by 2, thus only using 6 mats. Consolation R4 matches will take place on Mats 1, 2, 5, and 6, while the Semi-finals will take place on Mats 3 and 4. After Consy R2 & the Semis are completed, they'll conduct Consolation R5 bouts on all 6 mats.

Time:
8 pm EDT

TV:
ESPN

Video Streams:
All mats will be streamed on ESPN3. if you want to watch the PSU wrestlers in Consolation R4 matches, this is your best bet, as ESPN usually focuses on the Championship bracket matches, unless there is a lag before the next weight class is started.

Audio Stream:
Byers's radio PBP will be streamed for free, starting at 7:40 pm, at the below link:

http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesportslive/?media=573246

Following Mat Assignments:
They are provided on TrackWrestling via the Dashboard, on FloArena, on the Penn State Wrestling Club's web site, and on the Penn State Wrestling Twitter account. Just open a bunch of windows, and you'll find where the next match involving a PSU wrestler will take place

Following Team Scores:
They are provided on the Penn State Wrestling Club's web site, on TrackWrestling, and scroll periodically atop the ESPN TV coverage

Mat Assignments Already Determined:

- Nick Lee's R4 Consolation will be the 3rd match on Mat 1
- Zain's Semi-Final will be the 4th match on Mat 3
- Nolf's Semi-Final will be the 5th match on Mat 4

Since we’ve got some time to kill, can we talk about how Zeke lost 100 team points yet DeSanto is proceding without reprocussion

Seminfinal Match-Ups for PSU wrestlers:

149: Zain vs. Troy Heilmann (UNC)
157: Nolf vs. Micah Jordan (tOSU)
165: Joseph vs. David McFadden (VT)
174: Hall vs. Daniel Lewis (Mizzou)
184: Nickal vs. Domenic Abounader (Michigan)

Consolation Round 4 Match-ups for PSU wrestlers:
141: Lee vs. Tyler Smith (Bucknell)
197: Rasheed vs. Frank Mattiace (U. of Pennsylvania)
285: Nevills vs. Jere Heino (Campbell)

Since we’ve got some time to kill, can we talk about how Zeke lost 100 team points yet DeSanto is proceding without reprocussion

Zeke i.e. ASU lost 100 team points? Did he pull a gun, Rusian style? What did I miss?

Zeke i.e. ASU lost 100 team points? Did he pull a gun, Rusian style? What did I miss?
I also missed what Austin DeSanto did. I heard wasn’t good but I don’t know what he did

Last edited:
I also missed what Austin to Santo did. I heard wasn’t good but I don’t know what he did

He was getting his ass kicked and as time was winding down he did some ridiculous wind mill move and then tried to break the kids arm with an illegal move. It’s on Twitter if you google it. Lost all respect for him.

I also missed what Austin to Santo did. I heard wasn’t good but I don’t know what he did

I was a bit hyperbolic in the amount of points that Zeke lost, it was more like 3 for stepping over the tape. As for what DeSanto did, he threw a heavy right hook, stoppage and a warning, ripped off Micic’s headgear, got Micic a point, then he proceeded to cartwheel kick Micic in the head and throw in the kimura.

Reactions: Afw6006
DeSanto has had other outbursts in the past with attempts to possibly injure his opponent. Just watched the end of his match with Chaz Tucker where he was twisting on Tuckers leg in a dangerous manner... the ref stopped the action for potentially dangerous but Austin gave it one last hard yank anyway, after the attempted stoppage

So far no serious injuries that Ive heard of but its becoming clear we can't wait until that happens before doing something about it

It may be time he get's DQ'd... not worth the risk

Penn State is in good shape imo. Got em right where ya want em! Free the Knee Lee and Eagle will do their part

Honestly, with the way Spencer is wrestling I will be shocked if NATO keeps it close. Spencer is an absolute animal. Him and Suriano look unstoppable and I want nothing more as a wrestling fan than to see those two in the finals tomorrow night. Lee is a special talent. Best tilt I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: diggerpup
He was getting his ass kicked and as time was winding down he did some ridiculous wind mill move and then tried to break the kids arm with an illegal move. It’s on Twitter if you google it. Lost all respect for him.

Didn't see it, but I read that DeSanto did something similar against Chaz Tucker at EIWAs. Was losing a match late and yanked on the opponents leg or knee, apparently in an intent to injure. If true, the kid appears to have some self-control issues and needs to be reined in.

Don't feel great about N. Lee vs Smith, but the draw could have been worse.

giphy.gif

I watched the DeSanto match but turned it off near the end before he did what he did. I’m now insanely curious to see his meltdown.

The description above involving a windmill kick sounds so outrageous that I laughed.

I watched the DeSanto match but turned it off near the end before he did what he did. I’m now insanely curious to see his meltdown.

The description above involving a windmill kick sounds so outrageous that I laughed.

Details are in the replay thread if you want to watch it.

He did a flying squirrel, and actually with some good effect, at least until he tried to injure Micic.

Desanto struggles with losing. Throughs tantrums. Should of be DQ'ed for the Kimora.

Reactions: dsites52
DeSanto has had other outbursts in the past with attempts to possibly injure his opponent. Just watched the end of his match with Chaz Tucker where he was twisting on Tuckers leg in a dangerous manner... the ref stopped the action for potentially dangerous but Austin gave it one last hard yank anyway, after the attempted stoppage

So far no serious injuries that Ive heard of but its becoming clear we can't wait until that happens before doing something about it

It may be time he get's DQ'd... not worth the risk

The end of the match w/ Micic was pretty sad. Ref called for a stoppage due to potentially dangerous but DeSanto kept yanking away. Poor. My son loves watching DeSanto wrestle but his actions today were very poor. Coach needs to have a long heart to heart with the young man. Win with class, lose with class. What he did was classless.

Reactions: PSUJim and royboy
Here's how I feel about this round...overall, good. I don't think PSU can win it tonight, but they can certainly lose it. However, I don't believe they will. This thing is getting settled tomorrow unless something insane happens.

I'll start with the bad guys. Tomasello vs Lee is just a tossup. Both of them have looked unbelievable so far. They may be the two best guys at the weight. I'm going to say Tomasello gets the win, but I wouldn't bet a wooden nickel on it. At 133 Micic should beat Pletcher fairly easily. Pletch is doing what Pletch does....get a takedown early, and play defense. That's not going to work against Micic. 141 is probably another tossup....both guys are wrestling with a lot of confidence. I think Meredith has a bit more confidence...I'm going to pick him here. Micah Jordan got a dream draw to the semi's, but, the dream ends here. It may possibly turn nightmarish. Jason Nolf may not be 100% but he is more than healthy enough to dispatch Jordan to the consis. At 184 MyMar is a pretty solid favorite over Zavatsky, in my mind. He looks better than anyone in this weight class besides NoBickal. I didn't see his quarterfinal match, but Snyder didn't exactly overwhelm White. That doesn't matter a bit to me. Captain America will win and head to finals tomorrow night. As for the consis....Hayes should lose to Sorensen which will end his tournament. BoJo should dispatch Harvey (Army) fairly easy, possibly bonus points. He'll be favored in his next match too, vs the Lujan/Smith winner. I'm hoping for Lujan, because he'll throw the kitchen sink at Jordan and could catch him. If Moore has recovered from being tossed by Konel, He too should have little trouble advancing past Wilcke. Win that and he'll face the Mattiace/Rasheed winner. The B1G finals are still to fresh in my mind to pick Rasheed, so Moore it is.

Now for the good guys: At 149 I think Zain will struggle with Heilmann's....just kidding. I'd be very surprised to not see bonus here, and I'd be mildly surprised if Zain doesn't make Heilmann kick himself in the head with his own foot. As mentioned above I feel really good about Nolf's chances to advance. Vincenzo Joseph is my pick to advance past McFadden of VT. I predict a tight bout all the way through, although I'd love to see Cenzo get up early and win in convincing fashion. I see another really tight bout at 174. Lewis of Missouri finally got over the hump vs BoJo (thanks for that!). Mark Hall has an uncanny ability to come up big in big moments, and I think he'll do that tonight and find a way to win. It will be a battle though. Speaking of battles...Dom Abounader gave Bo his closest match of the year in their dual meet. I'm not about to pick against the guy who beats up on the entire Dean family. But I'm a bit nervous here too. Would love to see Bo come out early and put this one away, and we all know he can. In the consis Lee has a very winnable bout vs Smith of Bucknell. He'll advance to face the winner of the Carr/Perry bout. I'm going to say Carr wins over Perry. Lee needs to spend as little time as possible underneath Carr....I think Lee is superior enough on his feet that he can get up a couple of takedowns and make smart decisions from there to win this match. Come on Nick! Shakur has a winnable first match vs Mattiace of Penn. Here too I think Shakur should have an advantage from neutral. I think he can pick up a couple of first period takedowns and win this one. He'll get Moore next, most likely. Obviously this is huge for the team race. I think Rasheed can win it, especially if he is more aggressive from neutral in the first. I hope i'm wrong, but I've got Moore here. Nick Nevills had a bad match against Dhesi, but I think the coaches will have him ready for tonight. Heino of Campbell has beaten two seeded wrestlers already. I do not know anything else about Jere Heino. I know that Nick Nevills is a top 5 guy. So, I'm picking Nick. His next match will be the winner of Butler/Stoll. Nevills has had a lot more success vs Stoll, so I'm hoping he's the guy Nick see's here. Regardless of opponent, I'm picking Nick to move onto the consi semi's tomorrow morning.

I don't post often, but man does the NCAA tournament get my juices flowing. Win or lose I can't wait to root our guys on. WE ARE!!!

Thoughts on Bull/IMar? I don’t count out Alex but IMar is just so tough....
This is IMar's last go. He is to slick and explosive to contain. If Bull wins it will be a feet to back toss like he did to VJ or like VJ did Imar in the finals last year. Throw the kitchen sink at him Bull!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT