ADVERTISEMENT

2018 NCAAs -- Session 3 Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
I'm setting this up in advance, but expect to be in the thread providing PBP.

Please use this thread to discuss matches that take place in Session 3, PSU or otherwise. As in the Session 1 and Session 2 threads, I'll do my best to provide Mat assignments, but that gets a tad challenging at times, especially when PSU wrestlers are slated to wrestle at the same time and I'm trying to do PBP for those at work or otherwise unable to follow the action.

If responding to other posts, please use the Quote function.

I believe that Consolation R2 matches will take place on 4 matches, and Quarterfinal matches will take place simultaneously on the other 4 matches.

The team scoring is as follows:

1. Ohio State - 36
2. PSU - 28.5
3. Iowa - 27

I'd go past that number, but at this point (10:36 pm EDT), every team score source I've seen has different numbers in terms of scores for the teams below the top 3. (Why is this so difficult?)

Time:
11 am EDT

TV:
ESPNU

Video Stream:
ESPN3 will stream all 8 mats

Audio Stream:
Byers's radio PBP will be streamed for free, starting at 10:40 am EDT, at:

http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesportslive/?media=573245

Finding Mat Assignments:
They can be found on TrackWrestling (open the NCAA tournament, and select the Dashboard), FloArena, Penn State Wrestling Club's web site, or Penn State Wrestling's Twitter account

PSU started a tad slow on Day 1, with loses in their first two matches, but then won 16-straight matches. Here's hoping the guys can keep things rolling.

PSU matchups in the Quarterfinals:
149: Zain vs. Boo Lewallen (Ok. St.)
157: Nolf vs. Michael Kemerer (Iowa)
165: Joseph vs. Isaiah White (Nebraska)
174: Hall vs. Taylor Lujan (No. Iowa)
184: Nickal vs. Maxwell Dean (Cornell)
197: Rasheed vs. Michael Macchiavello (NC State)
285: Nevills vs. Amar Dhesi (Oregon St.)

PSU matchups in the Consolations:
133: Keener vs. Rico Montoya (No. Colorado)
141: Lee vs. Mason Smith (CMU)

tOSU matchups
125 - #2 Nato v #7 LaMont (UVU)
133 - #3 Pletcher v #6 Parker (Leh)
141 - #4 McKenna v #12 Smith (Buck)
149 - #5 Hayes v #4 Heilmann (UNC)
157 - #7 Jordan v #15 Van Brill (But)
165 - #13 Campbell v ur Flynn (Mizz)
174 - #6 BoJo v #3 Lewis (Mizz)
184 - #2 Martin v ur Ness (UNC)
197 - #1 Moore v ur Conel (KENT)
H - #1 Snyder v #9 White (OkSt)

Go Tigers and Tar Heels!!!

tOSU matchups
125 - #2 Nato v #7 LaMont (UVU)
133 - #3 Pletcher v #6 Parker (Leh)
141 - #4 McKenna v #12 Smith (Buck)
149 - #5 Hayes v #4 Heilmann (UNC)
157 - #7 Jordan v #15 Van Brill (But)
165 - #13 Campbell v ur Flynn (Mizz)
174 - #6 BoJo v #3 Lewis (Mizz)
184 - #2 Martin v ur Ness (UNC)
197 - #1 Moore v ur Conel (KENT)
H - #1 Snyder v #9 White (OkSt)

Go Tigers and Tar Heels!!!
I see what you did there with Van Brill. Oh, Parker beats Pletcher

I see what you did there with Van Brill. Oh, Parker beats Pletcher

Hopefully Parker will beat Pletcher. That will be a 3-2 or 2-1 match either way. I will be very dissapointed if Lewis doesn't beat BoJo. I will be shocked if Hayes beats Heilmann. And I will be cheering for Van Brill of the perinneal powerhouse of The State University of Jerzey. And don't count out Conel... I really like our quarterfinal matches compared to tOSU.

Reactions: PSUaggie
I think we are the favorite in everyone of our bouts. Fingers crossed for another 9-0 session. Hopefully this is the round where we make up some ground if not overtake tOSU. Hopefully Hayes and BoJo lose. I mean I hope they all lose but I think these 2 (along with Pletcher) are the most vulnerable.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I think we are the favorite in everyone of our bouts. Fingers crossed for another 9-0 session. Hopefully this is the round where we make up some ground if not overtake tOSU. Hopefully Hayes and BoJo lose. I mean I hope they all lose but I think these 2 (along with Pletcher) are the most vulnerable.
I’d prefer an 11-0 session ;)

I hope not an omen. Took the day off and I have no cable or internet this morning. Got to Love Comcast.

tOSU is favored or its a tossup in every single one of their matches, even where they have the lower ranked wrestler, they are facing guys they have previously beaten (Jordan/Lewis and Hayes/Heilmann). However, as we all know, guys making big weight cuts are particularly vulnerable Friday morning. I think this puts Moore and Bojo in the crosshairs as they both looked pretty sluggish in their opening round bouts yesterday. TeShan is a tossup in the consis...and I think the Bucks go 7-2 or 6-3 in the quarters. I'd say their ceiling is 9-0, and their floor is 5-4.

PSU is probably favored, or a tossup in all of their matches as well. Nolf, (only because he's not 100%) Rasheed and Nevills look to have the toughest bouts. I'll say we go 6-1 in the quarters, and 2-0 in the consis, although Montoya worries me a bit.

The last factor to consider is of course, bonus. I think due to the brackets seemingly falling apart around most Buckeyes, they have been able to put out bonus points at a much higher rate than expected. I see that continuing in this round, if PSU matches their production, given the matchups, that's probably a win.

Last edited:
Reactions: ptomaselli and garw
tOSU is favored or its a tossup in every single one of their matches, even where they have the lower ranked wrestler, they are facing guys they have previously beaten (Jordan/Lewis and Hayes/Heilmann). However, as we all know, guys making big weight cuts are particularly vulnerable Friday morning. I think this puts Moore and Bojo in the crosshairs as they both looked pretty sluggish in their opening round bouts yesterday. TeShan is a tossup in the consis...and I think the Bucks go 7-2 or 6-3 in the quarters. I'd say their ceiling is 9-0, and their floor is 5-4.

PSU is probably favored, or a tossup in all of their matches as well. Nolf, (only because he's not 100%) Rasheed and Nevills look to have the toughest bouts. I'll say we go 6-1 in the quarters, and 2-0 in the consis, although Montoya worries me a bit.

The last factor to consider is of course, bonus. I think due to the brackets seemingly falling apart around most Buckeyes, they have been able to put out bonus points at a much higher rate than expected. I see this continuing in this round, if PSU matches their production, given the matchups, that's probably a win.
Yeah could be a real feast or famine morning and overall the championship will be won or lost today methinks.

Reactions: burnsie1983
FOR ALL THE DOUBTERS AND THOSE FEEL QUEESY.

epic-hugs-friends-LOTR.gif

Just throwing this out there for takeaways.....

TOP 15 scoring guys:
2018 NCAA Championships
Points Per Individual
Alex Marinelli (Iowa) 6
Michael Kemerer (Iowa) 6
Nathan Tomasello (Ohio State) 6
Nick Suriano (Rutgers) 5.5
Zain Retherford (Penn State) 5.5
Adam Coon (Michigan) 5
Austin DeSanto (Drexel) 5
Daniel Lewis (Missouri) 5
Joey McKenna (Ohio State) 5
Micah Jordan (Ohio State) 5
Spencer Lee (Iowa) 5
Kyle Snyder (Ohio State) 4.5
Mark Hall (Penn State) 4.5
Myles Martin (Ohio State) 4.5
Amar Dhesi (Oregon State) 4

Getting 7 to the semis will take some work, but it’ll get interesting if we do because that’s where the Bucknuts will finally get challenged. Hats off to them to this point. They got some breaks, but to some degree you make your own. I’m not so sure even if we get 6 through and they get 9 that it’ll be over, but I haven’t looked how the consis set up in detail to see what’s likely there.

TOP 15 scoring guys:
2018 NCAA Championships
Points Per Individual
Alex Marinelli (Iowa) 6
Michael Kemerer (Iowa) 6
Adam Coon (Michigan) 5
Spencer Lee (Iowa) 5
Kudos to the young Hawks. Now if they only had more friends...

Obviously, kudos to the Nuts.

It’s not senior-laden.

It’s early.

3 at 125.

A handful might be on the backside by the time lunch is over.

Just an FYI from the tournament...must have been 5 or 6 Control of the May Area team point deductions yesterday. Don’t remember ever having that many in an entire tournament.

TOP 15 scoring guys:
2018 NCAA Championships
Points Per Individual
Alex Marinelli (Iowa) 6
Michael Kemerer (Iowa) 6
Adam Coon (Michigan) 5
Spencer Lee (Iowa) 5

I was going to post something similar. Five tOSU guys with at least 4.5 points (i.e., at least 2.5 bonus points), but only two PSU guys. Nolf and Nickal not on the list. In fact, Iowa has more guys on the list than PSU does. It's also another little kick in the nuts to see the Jersey Kid with 3.5 bonus points.

So far, tOSU has been beating PSU at its own game - bonus points.

I was going to post something similar. Five tOSU guys with at least 4.5 points (i.e., at least 2.5 bonus points), but only two PSU guys. Nolf and Nickal not on the list. In fact, Iowa has more guys on the list than PSU does. It's also another little kick in the nuts to see the Jersey Kid with 3.5 bonus points.

No worries. The tide will change today.
b8b843d31792ba767e3fc20336ba349d.gif

Just an FYI from the tournament...must have been 5 or 6 Control of the May Area team point deductions yesterday. Don’t remember ever having that many in an entire tournament.

and I dont think Iowa had any of them, right?

My friends on Facebook were lamenting that they didn't pick Buffalo in the NCAA tournament. I said that Gunning and Lantry are unlikely to score many points in the tournament, so not to worry about it. I think maybe one of them had any idea what I was talking about.

Reactions: Lyons212
Joseph gets to face his high school nemesis. I'm a little nervous for that match as White has been wrestling pretty well to close the season. I'm hoping that Joseph has the mindset of revenge and doesn't have doubt in the back of his mind

Joseph gets to face his high school nemesis. I'm a little nervous for that match as White has been wrestling pretty well to close the season. I'm hoping that Joseph has the mindset of revenge and doesn't have doubt in the back of his mind

"A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of a sheep"

I realize their past, but I think Joseph's mindset is the same whether he's facing a lower tier guy, or someone like White or Imar.

To the doubters out there. I understand. It does look like a hard road to come back. But always remember the wise words of the great philosopher Bluto:
980x.gif

And if it really is over. It will still be Saturday and you can still do this:
WindingExemplaryCrow-size_restricted.gif

To the doubters out there. I understand. It does look like a hard road to come back. But always remember the wise words of the great philosopher Bluto:
980x.gif

And if it really is over. It will still be Saturday and you can still do this:
WindingExemplaryCrow-size_restricted.gif
Did that yesterday. Starts at 8am our time today and you better believe theres Bailey's in my coffee and Fire in the boys!

Reactions: Afw6006
Mats 1, 2, 7, and 8 will be Consolations, and Mats 3, 4, 5, and 6 will be quarterfinals

It appears that Zain will be the 4th match of the morning on Mat 3, and Nolf will be the 5th match of the morning on Mat 3. The mat assignments I can see for the consolation mats only are to the 3rd match of the day, so I'm not sure where Keener or Lee will be wrestling.

Reactions: Afw6006

Q: About what time will this early Friday session be over?​

Thank you!​

Q: About what time will this early Friday session be over?​

Thank you!​
2ish for penn staters...whole round maybe a little later in the 2pm hour...round of consi, round of qtrs and final round of consis. 16 matches per weight class...so 160 matches.

8 mats.

edit: consis on outer mats and inside are the qtrs. once qtrs are complete full consis on all mats.

Reactions: lionlover and T J
I've got three mats loaded up here at work, with my monitors turned just in the right direction for privacy! Here we go!

Reactions: T J and Grass

No doubt the competition has learned the formula & has the athletes to pull it off. Eventually the PSU influence was bound to get to this point. Should be a fun day.

Reactions: lionlover and T J
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT