ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Nationals

matter7172

Nov 14, 2012
I just rewatched the 2018 NCAA Finals and I believe it has to be in the running for the best Nationals of all time.

Reasons:

1. An amazing number of wrestlers that qualify or at least merit serious consideration for the top 100 of all time. Spencer Lee, Yianni, Zain, Nolf, Cenzo and Imar, Mark Hall and Zahid (with an asterisk), Bo Nickal and Kyle Snyder. That's literally half the finalists and only Zain and Zahid missed the finals in any year in which the finals occurred (once for both). Don't count the guys from this year (Lee, Cenzo, Hall and Valencia) for this year and you have 31 finals appearances in 33 opportunities between the 10 wrestlers. Staggering.

2. The individual story lines. Two true freshman titlists. Zain and Snyder in their last go-rounds. Zahid and Hall in the first of two finals meetings after a semis meeting the year before. Cenzo and Imar in their second finals meeting with Cenzo hanging only the third defeat of Imar's career. Penn State bringing back five previous year's finalists - only time that happened. Snyder and Coon's 2017-18 season rubber match. Nolf coming back from injury and medically defaulting out of the B1G tourney.

3. And the back and forth team race, coming down to what I think is the most dramatic moment in National finals history - Bo rubberbanding Miles Martin to secure the team title.

Last edited:
You accidentally forgot to mention Suriano and Ashnault. ;)

giphy.gif

I've been watching wrestling while working out in the basement to theoretically help me push it to my limits ... but Zain's speech today made me tear up, stop the workout and call my parents. What a human.

Bo's speech is the absolute best promo, but dang Zain's hit me in the feels.

*Shoutout to Cenzo & Nolf who's speeches were very on brand and delightful in their own rights... "I tripped him"... that's it?... "Yeah"

Bo's post match interview was cringe worthy at best lol. I will never be convinced otherwise. Was he spot on tho in what he said? Absolutely.

Cringe worthy? You certain took it the wrong way, then. To say it was the greatest post-match interview I've ever seen would be damning with faint praise, because very few such interviews could be remembered five minutes later. I was still standing in my den cheering when Bo was interviewed. And that was the topper to an incredible night.

I guess that in the final analysis, '18 is my favoritte championships, even beating the 5 for 5 of '17. And that one was pretty darn awesome.

Bo was/is the stud of all studs. All of us felt the pressure before you wrestle, I can't even imagine the magnitude for Bo before that match - individual title, team championship, hated rival, pack house, arch nemisis and one of two guys to ever beat you. then he gets taken down...to his back...no reason to freak out...first elevator attempt fails...I knew he was going to his back...second elevator works...this is what we do...he's got the chin...mat slap, 7ft vertical leap, game. set. match. Stud of all studs.

Bo was/is the stud of all studs. All of us felt the pressure before you wrestle, I can't even imagine the magnitude for Bo before that match - individual title, team championship, hated rival, pack house, arch nemisis and one of two guys to ever beat you. then he gets taken down...to his back...no reason to freak out...first elevator attempt fails...I knew he was going to his back...second elevator works...this is what we do...he's got the chin...mat slap, 7ft vertical leap, game. set. match. Stud of all studs.
As JJag would say - Boom!

Bo saved us from a lifetime of crowing from Mr. Martin. For that I am very grateful.

Well done but u forgot headgear spike, and the look on Sr Martin’s face.

Getting the glare from my wife been watching 2018 over and over lol. Can't decide who is my favorite retherford, nolf, joseph or Bo lol

The looks on the faces of tOSU fans when they thought Myles had Bo and they were gonna win the championship only to have their hopes dashed seconds later is endlessly entertaining.

Reactions: yekrut321
The looks on the faces of tOSU fans when they thought Myles had Bo and they were gonna win the championship only to have their hopes dashed seconds later is endlessly entertaining.

Also when Bo had the spladle on Brooks and the fans were calling for two and even after the pin you had some Iowa fans cheering. Just love those moments.

Last edited:
Reactions: yekrut321
ADVERTISEMENT